1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garrett Adams

post #1 of 4 Old 06-11-2016, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The American West on AMC

Wow. I was hoping this would be enlightening, informational, and entertaining. NOT!!

This first episode is trying to cover too many historical people in one fell swoop. This is worse than the worst of my American History classes, in all levels of education: grade school thru college.

Yes, Jesse James became an outlaw (the show doesn't cover the first robbing of a train or any of his other exploits?). Crazy Horse was a great Indian warrior (the show doesn't cover the Battle of the Little Big Horn?). General George Custer was a fearless warrior (again, the show doesn't cover the Battle of the Little Big Horn?

I had to stop watching. Hell On Wheels is a historical drama with much more depth than a show about actual history. How can this be?

Woefully pathetic. Robert Redford, as executive producer you should have done much better than this.

As was mentioned in the prelude, it was a thirty year period. You couldn't provide more context in an 8 hour examination of the subject?

I just searched the web and came up with some critiques of the series. Pretty much every critic gives the same poor review as I do. Unless the subsequent episodes do much better, I'm done.

Edit: Okay, woke up this morning and watched the last 15 minutes that I didn't watch last night. A little more about Jesse James, but not much. Then I saw the previews for next week. They are splitting the stories up into little segments across multiple episodes. I won't be watching any more episodes because my attention span is a lot bigger and I can take in more information than the sound bites they are parceling out.

Last edited by mreedelp; 06-12-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Calling Hell On Wheels "historical" may be a bit of a stretch.

I lasted about 20 min with this thing, having no patience for "dramatized history" being passed off as a documentary. About 75% of what I saw was pure speculation by "historians" and not based on any real evidence. Cheesy is the word that came to mind, and phony.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Thanks for the heads up. Persuasive enough for me to delete my unwatched DVR recording.
acebreathe likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Persuasive enough for me to delete my unwatched DVR recording.
Ditto. I was thinking of something in the Ken Burns realm but apparently not.

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page