PBS: "The Tunnel" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #1 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 88
PBS: "The Tunnel"

Locally it's slated to follow Sunday's Masterpiece Mystery as a remade series. Not very new if you believe the NYT review. Haven't seen any versions here, but will find The Chunnel intriguing since I once visited England to research that tunnel for an article before it was built -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 06-18-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 211
It's on my To Do list. Is this just a one off or a series? Couldn't tell from the description but <1hr is kind of short for a one off.....No other ones planned to air in the next 2 weeks, at least in my market, which made me think it was just this one.
post #3 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
It's on my To Do list. Is this just a one off or a series? Couldn't tell from the description but <1hr is kind of short for a one off.....No other ones planned to air in the next 2 weeks, at least in my market, which made me think it was just this one.
TitanTV shows an episode this Sunday and the Sunday after, in an hour time-slot. It is 10 episodes, which tells me that they are airing the first season that is from 2013. Season 2 is from 2016.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #4 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 535
I've seen Bridge on Fox, wasn't planning on seeing this since story is same. But then I saw it has Stephen Dillane, so I will
post #5 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
TitanTV shows an episode this Sunday and the Sunday after, in an hour time-slot. It is 10 episodes, which tells me that they are airing the first season that is from 2013. Season 2 is from 2016.
Thanks, good to know. I also rechecked on my older Tivo HD and indeed, it's listed for next Sunday as well. Actually I eventually found it on my newer Roamio Tivo but it took a bit of looking, personally I think it's easier to find upcoming episodes on my older Tivo than the new one but the new one has the advantage(I guess ) of searching for online sources as well as my OTA sources.
Just found the Tunnel on Wiki and it looks to be a French/British collaboration, your are correct about the second season filmed in '15 aired in '16. The B&W photo of Stephen Dillane on Wiki sure looks like Michael Bolton, at least to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tu...28TV_series%29

Last edited by jjeff; 06-18-2016 at 01:26 PM.
post #6 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Checked my FIOS guide for PBS Sunday, then signed up for the 10-part series. From the review concluded it's a remake of the French/British series. -- John
post #7 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Checked my FIOS guide for PBS Sunday, then signed up for the 10-part series. From the review concluded it's a remake of the French/British series. -- John
Seems to be a French/Brit remake of "The Bridge" Danish series, only moved off the Bridge into the Tunnel.
John Mason likes this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
AFTV2+ SPMC=>SR6010=>Chane A2rx-c x 3+ DCM OW-1s x 2 +Klipch HQ-12 sub
post #8 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you go to my "10 episode" link above, that'll take you to the PBS website. It isn't a remake of the series, but is the original series.

Another great place for info on the show is epguides. Thousands of series are listed on that site.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #9 of 98 Old 06-18-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Dang, this Sunday night is packed. I'll be Tuesday before I get caught up. Game 7 of the NBA Finals, Preacher, 2 hour Penny Dreadful season finale, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Endeavour on PBS and 'The Tunnel' on PBS. that's a cram packed night.

Oh I forgot 'The Last Ship' 2 hour season premiere.
ltownsend likes this.

Last edited by rebkell; 06-19-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Forgot 'the Last Ship"
post #10 of 98 Old 06-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Dang, this Sunday night is packed. I'll be Tuesday before I get caught up. Game 7 of the NBA Finals, Preacher, 2 hour Penny Dreadful season finale, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Endeavour on PBS and 'The Tunnel' on PBS. that's a cram packed night.

Oh I forgot 'The Last Ship' 2 hour season premiere.
Good thing I have the Hopper3! No conflicts for me!!!!!!!!!!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #11 of 98 Old 06-19-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I'm watching S1 on Blu-ray in the UK at the moment (S2 is - or has - been broadcast in the UK on Sky recently). It's very good.

And very spooky for me as I grew up in the south coast town in which it is set in the UK... It's interesting what they took from Bron/Broen (aka the original The Bridge) and what they've changed.

I loved the Swedish/Danish original, didn't 'get' the US remake (though it wasn't as bad as the US remake of 'The Killing'), but am really enjoying The Tunnel. Well - enjoy may not be quite the right word.

I'm just waiting for my school to show up...

Last edited by sneals2000; 06-19-2016 at 03:58 PM.
post #12 of 98 Old 06-19-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
I'm watching S1 on Blu-ray in the UK at the moment (S2 is - or has - been broadcast in the UK on Sky recently). It's very good.

And very spooky for me as I grew up in the south coast town in which it is set in the UK... It's interesting what they took from Bron/Broen (aka the original The Bridge) and what they've changed.

I loved the Swedish/Danish original, didn't 'get' the US remake (though it wasn't as bad as the US remake of 'The Killing'), but am really enjoying The Tunnel. Well - enjoy may not be quite the right word.

I'm just waiting for my school to show up...
I haven't seen 'The Tunnel' yet, but I was the other way around on the US remakes, I thought the Killing was better than the US Bridge remake, though I didn't think either was anywhere near as good as the originals.
post #13 of 98 Old 06-19-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 574
I watch PBS via their app that runs on Android TV these days. Much handier even than a DVR.
post #14 of 98 Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watch PBS via their app that runs on Android TV these days. Much handier even than a DVR.
I capture the PBS network Ku feed, which is 12.5 Mbps H.264. I get both east and west as well as multiple chances at which to capture whatever I am interested in. In this case, a total of four repeat showings (E & W). I never capture the primetime airing, as there have been extra snipes in the past. Don't know if they are still doing that.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #15 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Seems to be a French/Brit remake of "The Bridge" Danish series, only moved off the Bridge into the Tunnel.
Thanks. Concise way of putting it. Hadn't seen the Danish/Swedish bridge series, or the U.S./Mexican version, so the meaning of remake (British/French Channel Tunnel, operated by Eurotunnel) didn't 'cllck' until I watched episode 1. Enjoyed the introduction, although for better comprehension its fast dialog pace means frequently freezing DVR frames with French translations--for a while here at least. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 07-20-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add-on
post #16 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Thanks for starting a thread - there were a few posts about it on The Bridge thread.

I'm looking forward to it - I was sorry Bridge got canceled. Seems like PBS could have found a better time slot for it though.

Odder yet is starting The Greeks next week in an even later slot. Doesn't matter to me since I record everything but I'd like to see them do well so PBS keeps them on...

Edit> Oops - I see Greeks does have 9PM Tue for first airing...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 06-21-2016 at 01:33 PM.
post #17 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I thought the first episode was interesting enough to bring me back next week.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #18 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't seen 'The Tunnel' yet, but I was the other way around on the US remakes, I thought the Killing was better than the US Bridge remake, though I didn't think either was anywhere near as good as the originals.
Really? I thought The Killing was a terrible remake - but was watching it after seeing the excellent original. The power of the original was that they allowed the actors to deliver content without dialogue. What was unsaid was just as powerful as what was said. The level of dialogue-driven plot exposition in the first episode of the US version made it unwatchable for me. It's a problem I have with a lot of English-language drama - everything has to be delivered through dialogue, not acting...

I heard better things about The Bridge remake in the US - and the bits I watched seemed a bit less 'talky'.

The two original series are such well made dramas though, I didn't really see the point in remaking them. (Though I get that in the US market subtitles aren't really an option...)
post #19 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Thanks for starting a thread - there were a few posts about it on The Bridge thread.

I'm looking forward to it - I was sorry Bridge got canceled. Seems like PBS could have found a better time slot for it though.
Only the US remake of The Bridge got cancelled. The original series has been commissioned for a 4th (and probably final) series. I can't wait! (Unlike The Killing, where the subsequent series didn't quite live up to the brilliance of the original, The Bridge really does sustain multiple series)
post #20 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Concise way of putting it. Hadn't seen the Danish/Swedish bridge series, or the U.S./Mexican version, so the meaning of remake (British/French Eurotunnel) didn't 'cllck' until I watched episode 1. Enjoyed the introduction, although for better comprehension its fast dialog pace means frequently freezing DVR frames with French translations--for a while here at least. -- John
Do yourself a huge favour. Watch the first three series of the original The Bridge (aka Bron/Broen). It is simply brilliant TV drama. (It's probably on Netflix - though there are Blu-rays available. The UK releases appear to be a bit patchy when it comes to 5.1 audio - and the Nordic Blu-ray releases are without english subtitles) However wait for a little bit after watching The Tunnel before you do. You will see some plotting similarities (and some significant differences) as the first series of The Tunnel is heavily based on the plot of the original show's first series. (Series 2 of The Tunnel is apparently a totally new storyline unrelated to the Danish/Swedish original series 2)

I was lucky - I had to study French until age 16 (it wasn't an option not to do French at my school) - and enough has stuck with me to mean the English subtitles on The Tunnel are backing up some latent understanding of the French dialogue.

Sadly it appears that there is only a DVD release in the UK of Series 2 of The Tunnel, I'm watching Series 1 from Blu-ray and it looks great (and it - unusually - has a PCM 2.0 audio track)
post #21 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Locally it's slated to follow Sunday's Masterpiece Mystery as a remade series. Not very new if you believe the NYT review. Haven't seen any versions here, but will find The Chunnel intriguing since I once visited England to research that tunnel for an article before it was built -- John
Some of my school friend's houses were where the main train station now is, and I used to run school cross country through the area it was built on. I can see the tunnel entrance from the upstair's windows in my mum's house. It's difficult to imagine life without it now - but I remember life before it very clearly (including a number of very heavy sea crossings to Boulogne and Calais)
post #22 of 98 Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Do yourself a huge favour. Watch the first three series of the original The Bridge (aka Bron/Broen). It is simply brilliant TV drama. (It's probably on Netflix - though there are Blu-rays available. The UK releases appear to be a bit patchy when it comes to 5.1 audio - and the Nordic Blu-ray releases are without english subtitles) However wait for a little bit after watching The Tunnel before you do. You will see some plotting similarities (and some significant differences) as the first series of The Tunnel is heavily based on the plot of the original show's first series. (Series 2 of The Tunnel is apparently a totally new storyline unrelated to the Danish/Swedish original series 2)

I was lucky - I had to study French until age 16 (it wasn't an option not to do French at my school) - and enough has stuck with me to mean the English subtitles on The Tunnel are backing up some latent understanding of the French dialogue.

Sadly it appears that there is only a DVD release in the UK of Series 2 of The Tunnel, I'm watching Series 1 from Blu-ray and it looks great (and it - unusually - has a PCM 2.0 audio track)
That's too bad about no Blu-ray release for The Tunnel S2, I've been making a buy list for summer viewing and The Tunnel S2 is on it. Do you know if S2 of Gomorra has or will have a Blu-ray release?
post #23 of 98 Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Having watched both US and the original Swedish/Danish versions (including season 3) I had to give the French/British version a try. Of course PBS had to bleep and blur this version.
post #24 of 98 Old 06-21-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Having watched both US and the original Swedish/Danish versions (including season 3) I had to give the French/British version a try. Of course PBS had to bleep and blur this version.
I did hate the bleeping and blurring, but it's PBS, I would rather they bleep and blur than cut out actual parts, hopefully they aren't doing that also.
post #25 of 98 Old 06-28-2016, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I did hate the bleeping and blurring, but it's PBS, I would rather they bleep and blur than cut out actual parts, hopefully they aren't doing that also.
Really enjoying this series!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #26 of 98 Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Several times mumbled English dialog made long passages incomprehensible. No closed-caption signals included, and still freezing French-translation captions to aid following longer dialog. Still, a good series, despite the snipped naughty words and often-murky cinematography. Watched CBS's "BrainDead" about the same time and, while not a fan of most broadcast-network dramas, the contrast with audio and shooting was dramatic. -- John
Ericglo likes this.

Last edited by John Mason; 06-28-2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
post #27 of 98 Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Several times mumbled English dialog made long passages incomprehensible. No closed-caption signals included, and still freezing French-translation captions to aid following longer dialog. Still, a good series, despite the snipped naughty words and often-murky cinematography. Watched CBS's "BrainDead" about the same time and, while not a fan of most broadcast-network dramas, the contrast with audio and shooting was dramatic. -- John
Subtitles I have them on all the time on the Tunnel and they work just fine.....how are you watching the program?
I tried BrainDead for a couple weeks, and while I wouldn't call it bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea
post #28 of 98 Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 454
I'm also frustrated by the unintelligible dialog. Some British series are hard to follow even when the lines are well-spoken, just because of the accents and unfamiliar expressions - e.g. Case Histories with Jason Isaacs. But it's not a problem with most - Ripper Street, Lewis, Whitechapel, Broadchurch, The Fall, Endeavour, etc.

Maybe best comparison is The Missing, also with many French characters but no problems understanding. I don't know why The Tunnel did such a lousy job with it.

I'm not sure how Brain Dead got into the discussion - it's on Amazon so I figured if it turned out to be any good I'd go back and watch it there. But with ratings well below UTD and Extant I figure it won't be around long...
Ericglo likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #29 of 98 Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Subtitles I have them on all the time on the Tunnel and they work just fine.....how are you watching the program?
Watching one local PBS station live (channel 13) via Verizon's FIOS with one of the subtitle font sizes activated from my 7232 STB. I'll definitely try setting it up again. Thanks! -- John
post #30 of 98 Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I will be trying the closed caption as well.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming