AVS Forum banner

Stranger Things on Netflix

59K views 847 replies 144 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·
Anyone going to start watching this one? I think it looks pretty good.

#262 · (Edited)
I'm 6 episodes in.

My observation ($0.02 worth) is that even though we've lost the surprise of something new (we know about 11's abilities and we know what the "upside-down" is) this season has a solid story, better acting, and just an overall "smoother" feel to me. This is, so far, another season well done. It has big shoes to fill and they're doing it easily.

Cary
Those are the same feelings I have after finishing S2 last night. There were some moments of real tension that I didn't experience in S1. The relationship between El and Jim worked really well. And I'm also loving David Harbour's performance.

Watched the first installment of Beyond after S2 and will finish that up tonight.

MBB's performance has really blown my mind. Also interesting that she is deaf in one ear.

#222 ·
After watching "Beyond Stranger Things" after finishing season 2, I'll say they need to hurry up and make season 3 before they hit puberty hard. Some of the actors are already hitting it while the others aren't.

I barely recognised Paul Reiser, and Sean Astin has definitely put on some pounds

#223 ·
So glad this show is back. Even with its few issues here and there it is such a cool concept and so well done.

My only real gripe is if they know it hates fire, why didn't they have more flame throwers/fire at their disposal during the attack? Would seem those things would have been everywhere/on everyone.

#226 ·
I knew he look familiar...Camaro guy is actually the teenager in the new Power Rangers movie.

Femi

#227 ·
A solid season one followed up by a solid season two (thus far 3 episodes in).

Reactions: JoeTiVo
#228 ·
I'm 6 episodes in.

My observation ($0.02 worth) is that even though we've lost the surprise of something new (we know about 11's abilities and we know what the "upside-down" is) this season has a solid story, better acting, and just an overall "smoother" feel to me. This is, so far, another season well done. It has big shoes to fill and they're doing it easily.

Cary

#229 ·
Finished it yesterday. I thought it was just as good as the first one, but because the first season was kind of a surprise hit this one had some high expectations. Having said that this story is done and frankly more seasons based on these characters would just be feel like forced. Of course if they pick a different cast and entirely fresh story lines it could very well worth it.

#241 ·
I don't own a full time subscription to Netflix and only really started watching their original programming last year with the first season of Stranger Things...I got another 1 month free trial for the 2nd season but also decided to watch some other shows such as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, 1922 etc...very enjoyable but I'm wondering does Netflix show any graphic nudity like HBO's original shows?...I haven't seen any even with TV-MA rated shows...I see graphic language and violence but never nudity

#246 ·
Mark me up as one of those folks who loved Season 1, and didn't love Season 2. Pacing, overuse of contemporary music (we get it! you're set in the 80s!), unecessary and distracting new characters...

Was there some cool stuff? yes. But boy did it take forever to get there, and there was too much stupid stuff (really, Bob the Brain? you forgot the gun? in that situation?)

If S3 comes out, of course I'll watch - to see if they've redeemed themselves. But S2 isn't something I'll tell everyone to go watch, like I did with S1.

#259 ·
I thought the first season was...well, pretty much garbage--I forced myself to complete it--but this season was actually enjoyable. It wasn't "mind-blowing" but I was really surprised that I liked it. I figured it would be as ridiculous as Season One, and sure, there were "roll-my-eyes" moments, but nowhere near as bad as Season One.

#248 ·
I just finished up last night. I thought they did a great job considering the anticipation generated after season 1. The new characters were good. The "sister" arc was a little drawn out but served its purpose. I felt bad for Bob, but as someone noted he forgot the gun which was a fatal mistake.

One thing I liked was that there wasn't too much "preachy" stuff, which seems to be the Hollywood trend these days. I thought I saw an article on CNN about the kiss at the end. Didn't Star Trek put that to rest 50 years ago? C'mon, man!

I hope there are more seasons to come. I think they have a pretty big universe to work with.

#250 ·
One thing I liked was that there wasn't too much "preachy" stuff, which seems to be the Hollywood trend these days. I thought I saw an article on CNN about the kiss at the end. Didn't Star Trek put that to rest 50 years ago? C'mon, man!
The issue with the kiss wasn't about it being interracial. It was about the fact it was unscripted and kind of done as a bit of hazing to make the 15 year old actress uncomfortable. Whether that is a real issue or not, it doesn't seem to have been handled very maturely by anyone creators or actors.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/stranger-things-creators-criticised-for-unscripted-kiss-2157077

There are conflicting reports as to whether the actress was freaked out about it or not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...nger-Things-star-hits-forced-kiss-claims.html

#252 ·
Finished S1 last night and will start S2 tonight. Enjoyed it, but not blown away like many that have posted. Not 100% sure why; maybe some of the writing or a character or two? The kids are very good, especially Millie Bobby Brown. Someone said they thought she gave the best performance for a young actress they'd ever seen. I still give that title to Natalie Portman in The Professional. Winona Ryder's neurosis made me neurotic. :D But she is looking very good for her age, or she has had some work done.

I think it was episode 6 that brought me out of my chair, and it involved the monster. I got a huge amount of "static" out of my right speaker, so much so I thought it was on the verge of blowing. One little blip occurred in episode 7.