AVS Forum banner

"American Horror Story: My Roanoke" on FX HD

6K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  ss9001 
#1 · (Edited)
"American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare" on FX HD

Premiering tonight!

Sorry. Don't have a lot of time to make a good original posting. Repost thread? I searched.

See less See more
#5 ·
Project is titled "My Roanoke Nightmare" ?

I didn't particularly like the interview clips. If the show focused purely on the house subject it would be better. Having said that, it was still (mildly) creepy. I enjoyed it. Will be back next week!

Why don't they just leave the house already? Only going to get worse. Sell the house back for $5,000, give or take, less than you paid.

#9 ·
Was creepy' Don't like the flashbacks to the interviews' And who would live out in the country in a scary house' mixed racial couple' Hicks close buy' and not own a firearm. Go buy a 12 gauge shotgun at least. The ropes all tied togeather in patterns with figures hanging from them in the stairwells was super creepy and the pigman. I be back.

#10 ·
I checked out some of the first episode and it seemed less ridiculous than what the show recently became. Not sure I'll be back though.

The crime reality conceit just feels like an uneccessary gimmick and having two sets of well known actors playing the same people doesn't make it feel convincing. Worse though, since the house scenes are "re-enactaments" of the interview statements, then the season has a lazy out in that whatever horror is shown is just scenes from a show within a show and none of it actually happened to the characters.

#12 ·
Maybe. It's hard to tell at this point. I'll flip over next week and see what's happening.

But when you consider that every spooky thing that we saw (like the rain of teeth) is just a story that a character told the viewers happened, then everything on the show is just a handwave away from a lazy explanation and it undermines the scary potential. If things get too crazy and too many plot holes appear then the Lily Rabe character could just be revealed in the interview as being crazy and everything we saw was just made up by her to get attention.

Did it rain teeth? Was it just the fictional crime show re-enactment making up that scene for their fictional crime show? Was Lily Rabe just lying? Who is Keyser Soze?

#14 ·
One is the "real" character and the other is the "fictional" version of him. I guess.

So the guy in the interviews is the "real" person relating the events and the guy in the house is the "fictional character" in the tv show re-enactments created by the people doing the interview.

Or it could be a twist and the house events are real and the interview scenes are actors portraying those characters, because everyone at the house was killed.

#15 ·
Keyser Soze is a fictional character and the main antagonist in the 1995 film The Usual Suspects staring Kevin Spacey. A great film! As for Matt Miller, I'm guessing they are telling the story much like the shows you see on TV where they interview real people and actor's portray them for the show. Fun to see Adina Porter(True Blood) playing the "real Lee" to Angela Bassett.

#27 ·
Having grown up in both Southern California and about 45 minutes outside of Roanoke, I think their choice of filming location (obviously California) is laughable. I always remember flying into Virginia from California as a child and both my sister and I were always awestruck with how green everything was. Like the "Roanoke" in the show, SoCal is brown, brown, brown.

#28 ·
A lot of the scariness is lost on me because of the interview/re-enactment approach. We know all of the people who are being interviewed lived through their experiences and don't seem overly traumatized, so how are we supposed to feel any fear for them when we see the re-enactments? Whatever happens to them, we know they'll make it through just fine.

#29 ·
Correct. Unless like Ph8te said above.

The whole interview/re-enactment approach is silly. The series would be much better off without it. I'm still eagerly watching, but it seems elementary to me.

Edit: I guess none of the main characters die if they're interviewed after :rolleyes:
May be the whole hillbilly crew will die. That's going to be the gruesome parts?

#34 ·
Good episode last night!

The husband of Lee Miller was killed? Did we see that part?

Who was the person skinned on the rotating wheel out in the woods? That was the husband? So confused!

Leslie Jordan as Cricket Marlow was such an interesting character! Don't think he's a fraud?

#37 ·
This is the first season of AHS I've ever seen. Started out as intriguing but as the nature of the evil is revealing itself, I dunno. It's lacking something for me.

My last hope I guess is that the structure of the storytelling will turn on it's head or they give us a, "not as it seems" twist of some kind. See post #31 for one possibility. Or even post #30 , though offered mostly in jest.

#38 ·
This is the first season of AHS I've ever seen. Started out as intriguing but as the nature of the evil is revealing itself, I dunno. It's lacking something for me.

My last hope I guess is that the structure of the storytelling will turn on it's head or they give us a, "not as it seems" twist of some kind. See post #31 for one possibility. Or even post #30 , though offered mostly in jest.

Probably should have stated with one of the earlier seasons ;) this one has been lacking (for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42 ·
A few parts last night were pretty gory. The hammer to the face and the shotgun blast to the face :eek:

At the ending, I didn't hear the usual "stay tuned for a preview of next week's episode." Maybe they're taking next week off? Or it's just another version of ending.

Surely The Butcher isn't completely ruined. A ghost cannot die? She started chasing them, as she was on fire, as they were fleeing in the vehicle.

We saw the debut of Evan Peters and Frances Conroy's characters last night. So Evan Peter's was the original owner of the home... but The Butcher was the original "owner" of the land? He built on her land.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.