• 1 Post By Vidop
  • 1 Post By Ericglo

post #1 of 28 Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
"Rosewood" on Fox

I have been enjoying this weekly procedural since it first aired three years ago. The tension between Rosewood and Villa is palatable. The writing is not too bad either. Lately though I question the addition of some things. Things like the use of filters in a way that the very old CSI Miami did. Its such a distraction. It prevents one from being immersed into the plot at times. STOP IT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLGeter View Post
I have been enjoying this weekly procedural since it first aired three years ago. The tension between Rosewood and Villa is palatable. The writing is not too bad either. Lately though I question the addition of some things. Things like the use of filters in a way that the very old CSI Miami did. Its such a distraction. It prevents one from being immersed into the plot at times. STOP IT!!!
+1
I also really like Rosewood, like the actors, the chemistry they have(except the new police captain which I destain) and also the beautiful FL scenery. What I can't stand is the extreme yellow filters they use(like you said similar to what was used in CSI Miami which while I watched all the CSIs I didn't watch Miami, mainly because of the filters). Rosewood didn't use to to be this bad, in fact I never really noticed it until this season, I kind of liked what they were doing in previous seasons, but this season has gone down the toilet(AFA picture quality). Outdoor shots are downright laughable, yellow skies, yellow ocean, yellow buildings, yellow yellow yellow, makes my eyes hurt with all the yellow
To end my post like yours, STOP IT!!! your ruining a good show IMO
post #3 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLGeter View Post
I have been enjoying this weekly procedural since it first aired three years ago.
Three years ago? My math may be a bit rusty, but Rosewood, Season 1, Episode 1 aired on Wednesday, September 23, 2015, which was 1.14 years ago. Last Thursday was the airing of Season 2, Episode 7.

Or are you thinking of another show?

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

post #4 of 28 Old 11-13-2016, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Three years ago? My math may be a bit rusty, but Rosewood, Season 1, Episode 1 aired on Wednesday, September 23, 2015, which was 1.14 years ago. Last Thursday was the airing of Season 2, Episode 7.

Or are you thinking of another show?
I'm failing quickly, faster than I ever thought possible apparently. I still stand by my use of filters observation. It detracts from the program making it less desirable to watch.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-13-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Just an FYI, every episode other than the first have been shot in the LA area.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-14-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Just an FYI, every episode other than the first have been shot in the LA area.
Does LA have those long bridges spanning over the ocean bays, I thought that was a FL thing... or maybe just those scenes are shot in FL?
post #7 of 28 Old 11-14-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Does LA have those long bridges spanning over the ocean bays, I thought that was a FL thing... or maybe just those scenes are shot in FL?
Those scenes are usually shot prior to the regular episodic filming. A crew goes out to the area where the show is set and captures all sorts of stock footage that will be used all season long in various scenarios depending on the writing. As the first episode was actually shot in the Miami area they may have a second crew doing all those shots while the first crew was actually filming the actors and creating the episode itself. If I'm not mistaken even Dexter was shot in the LA area, at least the later seasons, the same for CSI Miami. The "magic" of Hollywood.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-14-2016, 01:38 PM

^^^ makes sense
still wish they'd reduce the use of those strong yellow filters though
WLGeter likes this.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-16-2016, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I did find myself registering all the Miami shots this past episode after learning they shoot in LA. And yes, enough with the filters.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have also not appreciated the use of the filters that have been used on the last several episodes. But, this week's show seemed to be an egregious use of them. First of all--I've worked in tv broadcasting for many years. And, yes, I understand "warming up/cooling off" certain scenes to create a "tone" or "effect". But, my gosh, they have gotten to the point to where EVERYTHING is BLATANTLY/HEAVILY OVER-SATURATED YELLOW/ORANGE. The show looked sick/amateurish. Have these Hollywood producers/directors/cinematographers been snorting too much "angel dust"? Do they really think this is a "novel look" that they are the first to use, and overuse? IMHO, it REALLY detracts from the storyline and the efforts of the actors. IOW--it just looks STUPID.

Now-I feel better that I have gotten that off of my chest.

YMMV
WLGeter likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 AM

+1
While we really like Rosewood, even my wife notices EVERYTHING is yellow! Yellow sky, yellow water, yellow grass, enough with the yellow!
Well they did have one sceen on the most recent episode that wasn't yellow, it was the scene inside the glass-encased cooler where they did the autopsy......it had a definite blue hue
post #12 of 28 Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

What I said (in post #10 above) applies equally to this week's episode. The yellow/orange filtration was (IMO) simply OBNOXIOUS!

But-it appears there may be hope as of next week. If you watched the "preview" teaser at the end of the show, next week's video appears to be in a "normal" color temperature. I.E.--~6500K instead of ~3000K. Or, IOW, no orange/yellow. Hopefully that will be the case for the remainder of the shows. I wonder who is the "creative genius" that decided to botch up the color temperature of the last few shows? I've met a few people like this over the years I was in broadcasting. Sometimes, you can get away with it. Sometimes, you can't.These last few shows of "Rosewood" tend to indicate they couldn't get away with it this time.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
What I said (in post #10 above) applies equally to this week's episode. The yellow/orange filtration was (IMO) simply OBNOXIOUS!

But-it appears there may be hope as of next week. If you watched the "preview" teaser at the end of the show, next week's video appears to be in a "normal" color temperature. I.E.--~6500K instead of ~3000K. Or, IOW, no orange/yellow. Hopefully that will be the case for the remainder of the shows. I wonder who is the "creative genius" that decided to botch up the color temperature of the last few shows? I've met a few people like this over the years I was in broadcasting. Sometimes, you can get away with it. Sometimes, you can't.These last few shows of "Rosewood" tend to indicate they couldn't get away with it this time.
I was going to post the same thing after watching this weeks episode, but I thought maybe people would be getting tired of me beating a dead horse again even my wife commented on it, without me saying a thing, and the color temperature of a show isn't something she normally(or really ever) comments on!
I'd love to post a screen shot to post it here but it's really difficult for me. One particular scene was so over the top, as you said "OBNOXIOUS!"
Yellow sky, yellow white shirts, yellow faces, yellow yellow yellow!
On a sad note, right after watching this weeks Rosewood(which we really like even with the yellow) we watched Training Day. While not as OBNOXIOUS as Rosewood, it had a very definite yellow tint Not all the scenes but ones they were wanting to emphasize for whatever reason. This I can see but coming right from Rosewood where my eyes were already burning, the first scene of Training Day was like Deja Vu
post #14 of 28 Old 04-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Two points to expound upon.

1-I was incorrect in believing the show this week would finally have a "normal" color temperature. The preview at the end of the show last week (for the show this week) had all scenes looking "normal"--I.E.--~6500K. So, I thought that would be the end of it. Obviously, the show this week still has the moronic "yellow" cast/tint (~2500-3000K). I will give them this--the "tint" did not seem to be as overly-saturated as the show last week. Who are the scenic designers/producers/directors that think this serves to give the show a "feeling" or great "artistic look"? IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES NOT! It (IMO) looks like someone fresh out of TV production 101 was in charge.

2-On another note--It was pointed out that the tractor the victim was driving was a "John Deere". WRONG! It was an International Harvester Farmall tractor. It was either a "Model H" or a "Model M". Instead of leaving the tractor in the factory color of red, it was repainted John Deere "green" with John Deere "yellow" wheels. Why did the show go to the trouble of repainting an IH (red) tractor to (supposedly) look like a John Deere "green" tractor? They could have very easily (and more cheaply) just left the tractor in it's factory (red) color and referred to it as an IH brand. I don't understand why they thought they had to show a John Deere tractor instead of an IH tractor. If they wanted an actual old John Deere, there are thousands of them everywhere to pick from.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

I now have two episodes on my DVR sitting there that I guess I won't watch now that the filters have gotten worse.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Those scenes are usually shot prior to the regular episodic filming. A crew goes out to the area where the show is set and captures all sorts of stock footage that will be used all season long in various scenarios depending on the writing. As the first episode was actually shot in the Miami area they may have a second crew doing all those shots while the first crew was actually filming the actors and creating the episode itself. If I'm not mistaken even Dexter was shot in the LA area, at least the later seasons, the same for CSI Miami. The "magic" of Hollywood.

I don't watch Rosewood, so I can't say how well it works filming in LA. Dexter moved in season 3 or 4 and the look and feel of the show changed. It was still a great show, but it definitely was different at least to me.

Filming in LA also means you can take advantage of the city it is supposed to be located in. Burn Notice really made Miami a part of the show. These other shows can't do that.
Keenan likes this.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #17 of 28 Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Two points to expound upon.

1-I was incorrect in believing the show this week would finally have a "normal" color temperature. The preview at the end of the show last week (for the show this week) had all scenes looking "normal"--I.E.--~6500K. So, I thought that would be the end of it. Obviously, the show this week still has the moronic "yellow" cast/tint (~2500-3000K). I will give them this--the "tint" did not seem to be as overly-saturated as the show last week. Who are the scenic designers/producers/directors that think this serves to give the show a "feeling" or great "artistic look"? IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES NOT! It (IMO) looks like someone fresh out of TV production 101 was in charge.

2-On another note--It was pointed out that the tractor the victim was driving was a "John Deere". WRONG! It was an International Harvester Farmall tractor. It was either a "Model H" or a "Model M". Instead of leaving the tractor in the factory color of red, it was repainted John Deere "green" with John Deere "yellow" wheels. Why did the show go to the trouble of repainting an IH (red) tractor to (supposedly) look like a John Deere "green" tractor? They could have very easily (and more cheaply) just left the tractor in it's factory (red) color and referred to it as an IH brand. I don't understand why they thought they had to show a John Deere tractor instead of an IH tractor. If they wanted an actual old John Deere, there are thousands of them everywhere to pick from.
+1 on point 1 and yes on point 2! No doubt it was a IH, you could even read Farmall on the front in several shots, but as you said instead of the normal red it was painted John Deere green/yellow but at one point the sheriff said to TMI, "you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the John Deere out of the girl" almost like they are making fun out of anyone who might not catch it
post #18 of 28 Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 AM

So is this the last season we get to complain about the awful color scheme of this show? Sure seemed like this might be the case, the way they ended the second season Via and her boyfriend possibly moving to LA, Rosy unable to come up with a reason for her not to leave.....Or maybe they'll both move to LA and the producers will finally be able to drop the yellow scheme, after all it seems like they mainly do that to shows that are supposed to be shot in FL(ala CSI Miami)......time will tell.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Would you prefer dead morgue blue color scheme in APB? Apparently everything is cold dreary blue when you are in Chicago.

(Man, they really hammer you over the head when they do these color themes)
post #20 of 28 Old 04-29-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Also wanted to mention that the yellow/orange filter seems to appear a lot in Lethal Weapon, though maybe not as over baked. Additionally there seems to be a touch of film grain (effect? )
post #21 of 28 Old 04-29-2017, 04:41 PM

Another show that we watch, Training Day also has a yellow tinge but not nearly as prominent as Rosewood and as the main star of Training Day died a few months ago, I'd assume the new episodes will be drying up pretty soon. Too bad as we liked it and would have probably continued to watch
post #22 of 28 Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
So is this the last season we get to complain about the awful color scheme of this show?
Last night I got around to watching the April 14 episode (S2E20: Calliphoridae & Country Roads) and, while I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to color, I was wondering if our local Fox affiliate was having technical difficulties because the show had so much yellow, way unnaturally so, for both outside scenes and in. When even I notice, it has to be really bad!

This takes place on earth, right? We don't have any Kryptonites (Superman, Supergirl) needing a concentrated dose of light from our yellow sun, do we? Does the whole show end with Dr. Rosewood Jr. waking up, the two seasons being but a dream? (On this last, please don't tell me ... I have just another two hours to watch to find out for myself.) The hue just seems ... unnatural.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #23 of 28 Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Last night I got around to watching the April 14 episode (S2E20: Calliphoridae & Country Roads) and, while I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to color, I was wondering if our local Fox affiliate was having technical difficulties because the show had so much yellow, way unnaturally so, for both outside scenes and in. When even I notice, it has to be really bad!

This takes place on earth, right? We don't have any Kryptonites (Superman, Supergirl) needing a concentrated dose of light from our yellow sun, do we? Does the whole show end with Dr. Rosewood Jr. waking up, the two seasons being but a dream? (On this last, please don't tell me ... I have just another two hours to watch to find out for myself.) The hue just seems ... unnatural.
See above postings from (myself-vidop) and jjeff. For SEVERAL weeks/episodes, we have been upset by the stupid use of ULTRA yellow/orange filtration they have been using on almost every scene in the show. It looks abhorrent, idiotic, distracting and repugnant (and any other adjectives I can't presently think of).
post #24 of 28 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

post #25 of 28 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So all the yellow (especially in S2E20) was the yellow light waiting to change to red. I guess we are now done complaining about the over-abundant yellowization of the show.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #26 of 28 Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Quote:
How fitting, the link is in yellow
post #27 of 28 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
To bad. I enjoyed the series and its characters despite this threads obsessive rants about the damn yellow filter. Morris Chestnut is a fine actor and I have enjoyed him in everything I have seen him in.
post #28 of 28 Old Today, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Although I did complain a LOT about the idiotic (yellow/orange) colorization of the shows this season, I really did LIKE the show itself. Good acting/storylines. Too bad it is now going to be a memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming