AVS Forum banner

Marvel's 'Iron Fist' on Netflix

11K views 195 replies 51 participants last post by  Zookster 
#1 ·
Looks good. The Defenders should kick ass. Marvel really has their house in order.

K'un-Lun saved him. Lei Kung trained him. And now, Danny Rand is back to fight for what's his.

Marvel's Iron Fist premieres 17 March, 2017 exclusively on Netflix.

#5 ·
Looking forward to it. Netflix's Marvel series are awesome. Sure some are better than others but I was just commenting yesterday that I can't believe how good these Marvel series are and how well Netflix has done with them. No reason to think this will not be the same.

#9 ·
Fifteen years after being presumed dead in a plane crash, Danny Rand (Finn Jones) mysteriously returns to New York City determined to
reclaim his birthright and family company. However, when a long-destined enemy rises in New York, this living weapon is forced to choose
between his family’s legacy and his duties as the Iron Fist.

#15 ·
I’m definitely not excited for this the way I was for DD, JJ, and LC, all of which I enjoyed very much. But I’ll certainly give it a look. It would have to be REALLY bad for me not to watch the entire season (Hemlock Grove bad), though it may be a while before I get to it (unlike those others, which I watched within the first month).

#18 ·
Both seasons of DD rocked! Still need to see LC and bailed on Agents way back. With that said, this has my interest piqued. However, it has to compete with March Madness so it might be awhile before I get to it.

#19 ·
Agree - Loved both seasons of DD. If it slipped at all, it wasn't by much. They made the characters matter and the fight scenes were all well done. Nice to see superheros get damaged in those as well as dishing it out.

As for Agent Carter, well...

In the parlance of Marvel, "nuff said".

#20 ·
I watched the first episode of Iron Fist earlier and really liked it. The dynamics between Our Hero, the very Zen Danny Rand, and the evil Meachum family are fascinating. The brother and sister, Ward and Joy Meachum, who now run Danny's family company, and their father Harold Meachum, who is pretending to be dead, are all deliciously evil. Tom Pelphrey as Ward Meachum has been especially entertaining. He reminds me a little of a younger and taller Bogie. Anyway, the show is off to a good start.

#21 ·
That's good to hear. I'm going to start on it as soon as I finish Luke Cage. So far Luke Cage has been my least favorite, but I think a lot of that has to do with the lackluster villains. It's hard to live up to D'Onofrio's Fisk or Tennant's Kilgrave.

#25 · (Edited)
Watching Episode 2. I will be done with this show soon enough. Somebody needs to tell Hollywood that those silly Hong Kong kungfu stunts are not as popular as they once were anymore, at least not to me. The guy is supposed to be some kungfu master and at times meditates like some high level monk. Yet this same guy sometimes acts like child without any emotional control a master monk would display. Oh, and the near constant constipating look on his face does help either.

At least there are no silly Halloween costumes that are the latest craze in other silly team superhero shows.

#26 · (Edited)
The guy is supposed to be some kungfu master and at times meditates like some high level monk. Yet this same guy sometimes acts like child without any emotional control a master monk would display. Oh, and the near constant constipating look on his face does help either.
That seems to be part of the point. I had a similar reaction (my post above about wanting to slap him). I am forging on.

A couple of nice touches:

I'm thinking the PI who took pictures for Joy might have been JJ and "Hey, I'm walking here."

#28 ·
Just finished the second episode and I like it so far and it's on pace with DD. I wasn't hooked on DD season 1 till around the 5th episode. This show isn't for those with a short attention span, you have to pay attention to the details and I've loved the action so far, don't know why the critics are panning this.

#29 ·
Agreed.

I watched the first episode this morning and I have the same opinion. The only thing I am worried about is the martial arts choreography. A buddy of mine has gotten farther and he says he feels the choreography is just OK but not up to the standard set by Daredevil. Other than that the story seems pretty good. I don't know why people are saying they feel it is boring.

#31 ·
I'm six episodes in, and my faith that the show will find its heart is waning.

Danny Rand continues to be an annoying mix of stupid, naive, arrogant, and ignorant.

I can't figure out if the true significance of "being the Iron Fist" is something we're supposed to know, if it's being teased out slowly, or if they think they've actually explained it.

The fighting is awful. And why does Danny have to get the crap beat out of him before he lights up the Fist?

Why does Ward have to be a boring collection of cliches?

Why is so much of the acting, by all concerned, so very unconvincing?

Why is there so little tension? Is it that I don't care any more, or that the characters don't really seem to?

Is Danny still bound by the vow of celibacy? This show could use a little sex.

Claire knows about The Hand, and knows all about Daredevil's ongoing opposition to them. Why does she not tell the whole story about this to Danny and Colleen, and put them in touch with DD?

But mostly I feel this is just badly paced, unnecessarily vague, poorly acted, and confused about what it is and (so far) where it's going. There are too many "wha--?" moments.

And yes, the common complaint -- it's slow, bordering on boring -- is not without merit.

Perhaps the show will find its focus, pick up the pace, put the characters in some kind of jeopardy, and establish some goals. But I'm starting to worry that the real battle with The Hand won't even be engaged until The Defenders, and this whole series will end up just being setup for that one.

#45 ·
I can't figure out if the true significance of "being the Iron Fist" is something we're supposed to know, if it's being teased out slowly, or if they think they've actually explained it.

The fighting is awful. And why does Danny have to get the crap beat out of him before he lights up the Fist?
The Iron Fist is explained in great detail in later episodes.

Danny talked about "lighting up the iron fist". It drains him and his chi. It is not something that can be done all the time. If he did it at the beginning, then someone enters the battle that is more a challenge, or he needs it to escape/protect from a weapon, etc. he would not have it to help as he would be drained so he waits for when he thinks it is necessary.

#32 ·
I'm watching ep 12 and I occasionally have to stop. I am going to finish it but the writing and acting on this is so bad in parts that it is breathtakingly awful given the quality of the other 3 (although Luke Cage had a horrible ending).

Warning about ep 11. Really badly done and 12 is starting off really really badly.

Maybe there will be answers in the last 1 and 1/2 but the biggest problem is that there is no real reason for what the main character is doing or why he left his post. The show asks this question over and over and he says something like "its complicated". So the fact that the basic storyline is flawed makes everything stupid especially when the show can't even explain it.

The idea that the Hand joined the modern world and is really something different and better would have been a great idea but of course that isn't the case because this is comic book fodder. Also, does this Hand have anything to do with the ninja assassins in DD?

#33 ·
^ I've only watched the first two episodes so far but rdclark's comments above mirror my thoughts about this show, I actually dozed off a few times during the second episode. Probably my biggest complaint is the old Lost dialog issue, Rand never seems to say or ask the right things, he seems willfully ignorant and it's very annoying to watch. So far, the sister Joy and Colleen the martial arts teacher are the only two characters holding their own in this show.

Again, only two eps in but I think Netflix has a swing and a miss with this one.

#34 ·
Sorry you don't like it. As noted in earlier posts, I have really enjoyed the show. Part of my enthusiasm is the result of how much I have liked the show's UHD HDR treatment. Have watched the first 12 episodes and will report after I see the next one, the season/series(?) finale.

#37 ·
My kid is watching this in the other room while I'm reduced to watching the tournament on my phone. Something ain't right here.

#42 ·
Just starting the show, but before I dive in I noticed something...

I am not seeing a 4k option in netflix tv app...

It gives me an HDR option but no 4k or 4k + HDR.

Using a 43" 4k sony tv, x800d.

The video quality looks absolutely atrocious, perhaps that is because I am closer to the screen as this tv doubles as my computer monitor, but it looks like this show went heavy on the film grain look, almost as bad as walking dead with their 16mm film.

I was hoping for the kind of pristine clarity of a show like the expanse where the HD streams look absolutely stellar, even at 1080p.

Is it just me with this tv? Are you all getting access to 4k streams of this show or is that not even an option?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.