13Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 11-17-2016, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 179
"Shooter" on USA

The show premiered last night. I've seen the movie, so I more or less knew what to expect, but it was still compelling enough to keep watching, in my opinion.

here's the show's blurb from the USA website http://www.usanetwork.com/shooter:

SHOOTER, a drama based on the best-selling Bob Lee Swagger novel by Stephen Hunter, Point of Impact, and the 2007 Paramount film starring Mark Wahlberg.  The co-production with Paramount Television and Universal Cable Productions comes from executive producers Wahlberg (“Ballers,” “Boardwalk Empire”) of Closest to the Hole Productions; Stephen Levinson (“Ballers,” “Boardwalk Empire”) of Leverage Entertainment; and Lorenzo di Bonaventura ("Transformers," "The Real O'Neals").  John Hlavin (“The Shield”) wrote the pilot and will also executive produce.  Simon Cellan Jones (“Bloodline”) directed the pilot.
JoeTiVo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-17-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
The show premiered last night. I've seen the movie, so I more or less knew what to expect, but it was still compelling enough to keep watching, in my opinion.

here's the show's blurb from the USA website http://www.usanetwork.com/shooter:

SHOOTER, a drama based on the best-selling Bob Lee Swagger novel by Stephen Hunter, Point of Impact, and the 2007 Paramount film starring Mark Wahlberg.  The co-production with Paramount Television and Universal Cable Productions comes from executive producers Wahlberg (“Ballers,” “Boardwalk Empire”) of Closest to the Hole Productions; Stephen Levinson (“Ballers,” “Boardwalk Empire”) of Leverage Entertainment; and Lorenzo di Bonaventura ("Transformers," "The Real O'Neals").  John Hlavin (“The Shield”) wrote the pilot and will also executive produce.  Simon Cellan Jones (“Bloodline”) directed the pilot.
I thought the first episode was really good and cant wait for more.
JoeTiVo likes this.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #3 of 35 Old 11-17-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3423 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Watched it and liked it. Will tune in next week.

post #4 of 35 Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Two BIG thumbs up here.
post #5 of 35 Old 11-18-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I thought I thought the movie was good and the first episode of this was also good but I'm not sure what they can add going forward.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #6 of 35 Old 11-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I thought I thought the movie was good and the first episode of this was also good but I'm not sure what they can add going forward.
Same here,really liked the show but wonder how they are going to keep the interest up.It would get old pretty quick if they're still chasing Ole Bob the Nailer every episode for how ever long the show lasts. But I'm in for the duration

Jerry
post #7 of 35 Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It'll turn in to a version of The Fugitive.

post #8 of 35 Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 AM

And so the hunt begins

Jerry
post #9 of 35 Old 11-23-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm liking it so far. Hide and seek is a proven formula. Never gets old.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I am liking the show as well. At times, predictable but a lot of fun. It was nice to see the background on the relationship between Bob Lee and Isaac on this last episode and the fight scene on Memphis' apartment was good as well. I am looking forward each week to this show. With shows winding down for the year, is a good option to have.
Stereodude, TeeJay1952 and cyfman like this.
post #11 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 AM

Don't they have anyone familiar with the ballistics of bullets working on a show about a sniper?

The through the scope shots are so incorrect it's super eye roll bad. Bob Lee is shooting at a target 1550 yards away, misses by several feet, makes no apparently adjustments to the scope shoots again, with the crosshair in the exact same place and gets a different but closer result, finally takes one more shot with the crosshairs in the exact same spot as the last two shots still not having made any adjustments and finally hits the target. If he's not adjusting the scope between shot dialing in corrections he needs to be moving the crosshairs to compensate for it not being dialed in. Nevermind he was told it's dialed in when it was handed to him.

Of course that eye-roller pales compared to him shooting a running target at distance, not leading the guy any and hitting him. Unless he happened to know he'd be shooting someone at that distance and they'd be running a certain speed the scope wouldn't be dialed in (ignoring wind & weather) to line up with the crosshair on top. It's almost as bad as the Elementary episode a few weeks ago where someone shoots (from the ground) a base jumper in free fall without leading the person and hitting them.

Then we have the bullets that are so special only 4 guns in the world are strong enough to shoot them (in this episode), but Bob Lee fired one out his standard ol' "sniper rifle" after recovering it from the police cruiser a few episodes ago without any issue.

Finally, the improved "perfect" polymer coated bullet Mr. Fichtner makes breaks apart and disappears leaving no trace? Wait, what?!?!? It goes through the target undamaged and then breaks apart? Or, it breaks apart leaving no trace in the person? How's that work again?
shivaji and HairyBee like this.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's as bad as on Designated Survivor where the sniper slaps together a rifle and mounts the scope and fires out the window at a target I estimated about 300 yards away. Since it was last episode before winter break, we don't know what he may have hit.

post #13 of 35 Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
That's as bad as on Designated Survivor where the sniper slaps together a rifle and mounts the scope and fires out the window at a target I estimated about 300 yards away. Since it was last episode before winter break, we don't know what he may have hit.
Did they hang the tip of the barrel out of the window giving away their position too?

Edit: Of course they did!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Designated Survivor_2016-12-14_sniper.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1847345  

Last edited by Stereodude; 12-22-2016 at 06:11 AM.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Did they hang the tip of the barrel out of the window giving away their position too?

Edit: Of course they did!

And rested the barrel on the window!
post #15 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 AM

So I'm a little confused about part of the season finale. Why did the Russian Ambassador help Bob Lee? He seemed to recognize him, not be concerned, and immediately told him where his daughter was.

Seems like they retcon'd the first season at the very end by making it appear it was all part of an elaborate very high level plan to get rid of a some bad actors. But, the viewer is left to wonder who all was in on it.
post #16 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Good point. Was that really Beverly D'Angelo, looked like she had a face lift from her feet. Had to look hard to recognize her.
post #17 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have read all of the Hunter Schwagger novels and I really liked this series and much more then the movie. In the novels Sam Vincent was his Arkansas lawyer and Memphis was his male FBI buddy. Point of Impact and perhaps Time to Hunt are the best of the series. If I were starting up with the series I would read at least the 1st half of Time to Hunt as it tells of Bob's Vietnam exploits before reading them in the written order. The novels about his father are really good too. "Hot Springs" is really good. If I introduce a friend to these Hunter novels I always start them out with Hot Springs. If you don't like this one the series is not for you. Caution: These novels are not exactly the material you discuss in detail with your better half.
gnk1 likes this.
post #18 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Big fan of the show. One thing though that bothered me was Ryan Phillippe's beard. Maybe I am too influenced by other theatrical productions but isn't the first thing one does when on the run is to alter their appearance. The beard should have been the first thing to go. I think ego might have gotten in the way.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Big fan of the show. One thing though that bothered me was Ryan Phillippe's beard. Maybe I am too influenced by other theatrical productions but isn't the first thing one does when on the run is to alter their appearance. The beard should have been the first thing to go. I think ego might have gotten in the way.
That and change his hair color. He basically made no real effort to disguise his appearance, which seemed odd to me.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
So I'm a little confused about part of the season finale. Why did the Russian Ambassador help Bob Lee? He seemed to recognize him, not be concerned, and immediately told him where his daughter was.

Seems like they retcon'd the first season at the very end by making it appear it was all part of an elaborate very high level plan to get rid of a some bad actors. But, the viewer is left to wonder who all was in on it.
I think the Russian ambassador wanted the mess to go away and for it to not splash back on him. Helping Swagger was his preferred way out.

Yes, at the end it seemed that Isaac was in on a higher plot the whole time. Seemed a bit far fetched there. Now there will be a second season. I would have preferred a clean ending, but maybe they can make it interesting without putting Swagger's family in danger.
post #21 of 35 Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
I have read all of the Hunter Schwagger novels and I really liked this series and much more then the movie. In the novels Sam Vincent was his Arkansas lawyer and Memphis was his male FBI buddy. Point of Impact and perhaps Time to Hunt are the best of the series. If I were starting up with the series I would read at least the 1st half of Time to Hunt as it tells of Bob's Vietnam exploits before reading them in the written order. The novels about his father are really good too. "Hot Springs" is really good. If I introduce a friend to these Hunter novels I always start them out with Hot Springs. If you don't like this one the series is not for you. Caution: These novels are not exactly the material you discuss in detail with your better half.
I have read most of the Stephen Hunter books and enjoyed the earlier ones the most. I find myself constantly reconciling the character names and places from the books, the Shooter movie, and the series. Also enjoyed "Dirty White Boys," which is loosely connected with the Swaggers.

BTW - I loved it in the episode where the daughter calls Bob Lee "Pork." Kid has some sass!
post #22 of 35 Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 179
A reminder: Shooter season 2 starts tonight!!

Also, Ryan Phillippe hurt his leg before they could start the 10th and final episode of S2, no word yet on what that means for the show.

Some details here: https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/...oter-season-2/
post #23 of 35 Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Just finished Shooter season 1 on Netflix. Interesting variation on the movie. Hopefully season 2 will feature less of his family being used as a pawn.

Ryan Phillippe did not hurt his leg, he broke it badly requiring surgery. It occurred on a family outing, not while doing stunts on the show.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #24 of 35 Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Liked: 3942
I really like Steven Hunter's Swagger books. In fact, I like all of his stuff. He won a Pulitzer Prize in 2003 for his Washington Post film criticism. In a review of Black Hawk Down (2001), entitled Shock Troops. Hunter wrote what to me is the most succinct, and chilling, explanation of the lessons soldiers on the ground learn about combat:
Quote:
The movie, then, may disappoint pundits and op-ed cowboys and all the men in gray suits and black shoes who so self-confidently throng this city's streets over the lunch hour. It teaches stuff they don't know, only the smallest and most bitter of lessons: that ammunition is more important than water, that cover is more important than concealment, and that the good die young.
Highly recommended!

With that off my chest, let me add that last season's Shooter was one of my more pleasant TV surprises. In fact I watched every episode again recently in preparation for the beginning of Season 2. I think it is off to a good start.

I was glad to see Beverly D'Angelo as a shadowy Washington operator and power broker. I agree that she has had a lot of work done. It seemed more or less successful to me, except she no longer looks like she did pre surgery (or surgeries).

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #25 of 35 Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 92
From the season previews, it appears the family will be in danger again. Not much interested to see the standard formula of bad guy abducting the adorable little girl and threatening the pretty devoted wife.
post #26 of 35 Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

The first episode got off with a bang. It will be interesting to see where it is going.
post #27 of 35 Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

There was a deadline story in
Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information
that says there will be only 8 episodes this season due to the injury.
Quote:
Sources said that there is a natural story point in episode 208 that works as a season finale, and, while this was not the original plan, the producers, network and studio are happy with the way the Season 2 story would wrap.
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #28 of 35 Old 09-06-2017, 04:08 AM

The producers, network and studio are happy with the way the Season 2 story would wrap? Oh really?!?!? Did they actually watch the season? It ended on a horribly disjointed note without wrapping up any of the open plot lines. At least a conventional cliffhanger finale builds to that cliffhanging point and closes most of the open plot lines except for the one. Season 2 of Shooter ended like they chopped a midseason 2 hour length episode in half.
post #29 of 35 Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 AM

^^^^ Did you read the post ahead of your's ? It was a short season because of "Bob Lee's " broken leg.

Jerry
post #30 of 35 Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfman View Post
^^^^ Did you read the post ahead of your's ? It was a short season because of "Bob Lee's " broken leg.
Yes, I read it and responded directly to it. I even quoted part of it in my post. I know why it was short. I was openly mocking that "the producers, network and studio are happy with the way the Season 2 story would wrap." They clearly didn't watch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page