It's official - DirecTV to carry HDNet Movies, Discovery HD, ESPN HD - July 1, 2003! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 815 Old 06-10-2003, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by brendon
No, you are confusing PPV and HDMovies. You can order HDPPV (channel 198) any time without a subscription to the HD package. As mentioned above HDMovies is the same idea as HBO, Showtime etc, just show movies all the time. You do apparently need to be a TC subscriber to sign up for the HD package, which includes the channels in the heading of this topic.
Oops,
That's exactly what I was doing (confusing HDnet PPV with HDnet movies).
My Bad :rolleyes:
Woo hoo! That turns out to be one more unanticipated bonus to the new package.
Bring it on!

:D

Audio/Video/HD/HT addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 815 Old 06-10-2003, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chapdog
Oops,
That's exactly what I was doing (confusing HDnet PPV with HDnet movies).
My Bad :rolleyes:
Woo hoo! That turns out to be one more unanticipated bonus to the new package.
Bring it on!

Actually, there is no HDNet PPV.

HDNet is a private company run by Mark Cuban (www.hd.net). They've got two channels that will be part of this package: HDNet (which we currently get for free on 199) and HDNet Movies (movies 24 hours a day, no extra fee in addition to the $10.99/month).

HD PPV is a DirecTV channel that works like all the other PPV channels. It's not part of the $10.99/month package. It's currently available on channel 198.

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #633 of 815 Old 06-10-2003, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
I don't understand why you people keep calling DirecTV to add this package. It's not available until July 1st! You can call and add it or use the web site on July 1st or after. All you are doing now is wasting your time, the CSR's time and confusing the heck out of them. It really is that simple.

Off my soapbox now. I feel better. :D
I would not think it is stupid to try to order a package before its "start date." You can order NFL Sunday Ticket right now and there are no games for a couple fo months.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #634 of 815 Old 06-10-2003, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

But NFL Sunday Ticket launched several years ago. This new package doesn't launch until July 1.

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #635 of 815 Old 06-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by TomF
I'm absolutely amazed that a company the size of DirecTV would use a Web update model where they add in new content with remarks around it and then just remove the remarks to make the new content live.

I've been a Web manager for over five years for two different companies and have been involved in publishing content at several other sites. All content update is done offline or on a non-public test site and then some mechanism is used to update the changed pages in one operation, whether it's by manually copying all of the changes or using a content management system that does it automatically, even at a pre-determined time.

I've had to publish new product info and corporate financial info that was timed to the second so that the information did not get out too soon and violate SEC requirements. The method that DirecTV is using a really poor system.
Check out what The Smoking Gun found: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/cnnobit1.html

Talk about stuff you don't want getting out early! How embarrassing!
post #636 of 815 Old 06-10-2003, 12:36 PM

On their HDTV page on D* they have the free Sat C Kit offer up finally.

THe CSR saw the webpage as well when I called but couldnt add me in for the free Sat C kit without me being a Showtime Subscriber. She went ahead and gave me a few free months of Showtime to be able to add the package.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV.jsp

Quote:
WHAT YOU NEED
Before you can order these new HD channels you may need your existing DIRECTV dish upgraded with a SAT-C kit. This will allow you to view the satellite carrying this new signal.

DO I NEED THE SAT-C KIT?
If you can view the DIRECTV logo on channel 90 of your DIRECTV HD Receiver, then you don't need to do anything. You already have SAT-C equipment.

If you can't, then you need to have the SAT-C kit installed on your existing DIRECTV dish.

ORDER THE SAT-C KIT
Call 1-800-805-9265 to order your SAT-C upgrade kit. It's free with self-installation or only $49 with professional installation.

Shipping and handling fee of $8.08 applies. Commitment to one year of TOTAL CHOICE® programming package required.
Offer not available in the limited areas served by members or affiliates of the National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative. Customer pays $8.08 for shipping and handling. Applicable taxes not included. Offer available only to current residential customers with an account in "good standing" (as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion) who call DIRECTV to order by 12/31/03 and commit to 12 consecutive months of any TOTAL CHOICE or OPCIÓN EXTRA ESPECIAL package ($33.99/mo. or above) within 30 days of order. Make and model of equipment at DIRECTV's sole discretion. Custom installation available for an additional charge. A PRORATED FEE OF UP TO $150.00 MAY BE CHARGED FOR EARLY TERMINATION, SUSPENSION, DISCONNECTION OR DOWNGRADE OF REQUIRED DIRECTV PROGRAMMING, DEPENDING UPON THE TIMING OF SUCH ACTION. Offer void in Alaska and Hawaii, and where prohibited or restricted. May not be combined with any other offer. Offer and equipment are non-transferable and may not be resold. Hardware and programming sold separately. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Pricing is residential. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided at DIRECTV.com and in your first bill. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S. ©2003 DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo, TOTAL CHOICE and OPCIÓN EXTRA ESPECIAL are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of Hughes Electronics Corp. All other trademarks and service marks are property of their respective owners.
post #637 of 815 Old 06-11-2003, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
But NFL Sunday Ticket launched several years ago. This new package doesn't launch until July 1.
So, I suppose that no one could buy the NFL ST package in its first season until after the first game was supposed to be shown?

Certainly, it is true that it might be futile trying to get a CSR on the phone that knows about this package, much less one that can hook you up. I just don't think it is foolish or stupid to believe or for a customer to expect that a pacakge can be ordered earlier than the first day it goes on the air. There is no language in any D* PR that I have seen stating not to call until after 7-1.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #638 of 815 Old 06-11-2003, 06:59 AM

What channel numbers will these new stations use?
post #639 of 815 Old 06-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee L
So, I suppose that no one could buy the NFL ST package in its first season until after the first game was supposed to be shown?

Certainly, it is true that it might be futile trying to get a CSR on the phone that knows about this package, much less one that can hook you up. I just don't think it is foolish or stupid to believe or for a customer to expect that a pacakge can be ordered earlier than the first day it goes on the air. There is no language in any D* PR that I have seen stating not to call until after 7-1.
Well there are still many days before July 1. Personally I see no reason how it makes a difference to me if I'm able to sign up today or on June 30th. I still won't be able to watch until July 1.

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
Southern California & Elsewhere
Xbox Live: EnderWiggin21
post #640 of 815 Old 06-11-2003, 07:13 PM

Man, I hope one of you guys wins this argument. In the meantime, I guess it adds posts.:rolleyes:

Ken
post #641 of 815 Old 06-12-2003, 05:33 PM

How lame can this thread get let's see.
post #642 of 815 Old 06-12-2003, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 698
So can I sign up yet? :D

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #643 of 815 Old 06-12-2003, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
So can I sign up yet? :D
Calling 1800-531-5000 DirecTV

Hello Mister Custumer, this is DirecTV

Yes Hi DirecTV
I wanna find out if i can sign up for the HDTV Package Yet ? Because i wanna Sign Up For IT RIGHT NOW

(DirecTV) Yes Mister Customer Please hold while i go and check,

(DirecTv)
Yes You can Sign up for the HDTV Package Right Now
But all you be paying is $11.00 for just watching a black screen on the channel in Full HDTV Picture.

(Mister Customer) Oh DirecTv I don't want to pay $11.00 for just watching a black screen on the Channel In Full HDTV Picture.

(DirecTV) Oh Im Sorry, Mister Customer, Please Hold while i go and check to find out a little more infomation on this to make you a happy customer with us.

(DirecTV) Oh Ok Im Back, here is what i found out, I found that we can put a Big Blue And While DirecTV Logo On the Channel, So You Could Watch It In Full HDTV Picture For 24/7.
Thats all i can do for you right now.

(Mister Customer) Ok DirecTV Please Sign Me Up Now.

(DirecTV) Ok One Moment please, while i add it to your account.
Ok It should be on right now,
Thank You For Being a Very Good Customer With Us For all These Years,
and Thank you for Paying us $11.00 more for just wacthing a big blue and white DirecTv Logo In Full HDTV Picture.
Thanks And Have a Great Day.
Bye
post #644 of 815 Old 06-12-2003, 11:13 PM

I was in the Cambridge Soundworks in San Francisco today, and one of the guys told me that DTV is now "passing" the HD signal for local channels in the Bay Area. I called DTV and of course they said no way. Did the guy maybe mean national network feeds? Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
JB
post #645 of 815 Old 06-12-2003, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jason_blessing
Anyone have any ideas?
The guy didn't know what he was talking about.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #646 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jason_blessing
I was in the Cambridge Soundworks in San Francisco today, and one of the guys told me that DTV is now "passing" the HD signal for local channels in the Bay Area. I called DTV and of course they said no way. Did the guy maybe mean national network feeds? Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
JB
They are probably doing the same thing that is going on here in San Diego. They pass the Digital feed via fiber, which is then down-converted by D* before going out over the D* system. It's still 480i, but the picture quality is much better. We have that on ABC and CBS and it's obvious when you look at Fox and WB. ABC and CBS look significantly better.
post #647 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 382
This seems like a good as place as any to ask....
I just went looking for Ch 198 HDPPV and it no longer shows up
on my Zenith 520. I only have an oval dish for the time being. Did
198 move off of the 101 sat?

thanks

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #648 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

I had lost it too with a single lnb round dish. I got my 3 lnb dish installed today and it's back. Yep they moved it awhile ago.
post #649 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Thanks betterdan. It's been a couple of weeks since I looked for it.
I just wanted to make sure my equipment is ok. I'm waiting for
some trees to be cut down so I can install my new dish.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #650 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 06:01 PM

The things we do to watch television!:cool:

Ken
post #651 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I called DirecTV to order the Sat-C kit. I was told I would have to commit to a year of Showtime HD. I said I had no interest in Showtime, but I was keen to receive ESPN HD and Discovery HD. I was told I would need to wait because there was no other promotion offering the Sat-C kit.

I then checked the HDTV page, clicked on the "right equipment" link, and read where the Sat-C kit was "free with self-installation" so long as I commited to a year of Total Choice. Nothing about Showtime.

I called back, was transferred to "sales", where "Heather" took my information. No problem at all the second time. I was on the phone longer the first call when I came away empty handed.

David
post #652 of 815 Old 06-13-2003, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 698
DirecTV is definitely passing on passing the HD feeds for now. Alas, they are definitely not passing them.

So pass on the advice of Cambridge.

Confused?

Just take a pass.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #653 of 815 Old 06-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jander,
Thanks for posting this. I spent about 30 minutes last week unsuccessfully trying to get them to give me this offer. I'd already read of numerous people here getting it.

Thanks to your link I was able to call and get it. However, I had to spend another 30 minutes on the phone because the CSR said I had to get a 1yr. committment to Showtime as well. I took her to the website and after a long wait they "waived" the Showtime requirement.

DirecTV, do you read this forum? I like your service, but how hard is it to get your act together with what you are offering and what you aren't? It can't take a monumental effort to coordinate your website with your CSR/order systems. Just lame... I had better things to do than spend an hour getting this all right.

Anyway thanks again Jandar.

Quote:
Originally posted by jandar
On their HDTV page on D* they have the free Sat C Kit offer up finally.

THe CSR saw the webpage as well when I called but couldnt add me in for the free Sat C kit without me being a Showtime Subscriber. She went ahead and gave me a few free months of Showtime to be able to add the package.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV.jsp
post #654 of 815 Old 06-14-2003, 10:26 AM

Not to be a conspiracist, but how many people do you think they have contacted or have called them that didn't know about the non-Showtime requirement? Sounds like a sneaky revenue enhancer.
They called me the other night. I already subscribe to HBO & Showtime, and one of my receivers is a Samsung 160. They wanted to know if I had a an oval dish with the 3 lnb's and if I wanted to subscribe to Showtime to get the new HD package.
I think I made a post on this forum about D* needing to improve their drug testing. Tongue in cheek, and a disclaimer that this forum is not responsible for my behavior. :rolleyes:

Kem
post #655 of 815 Old 06-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

They called me last week about the C kit and I told her I didn't have a 3 lnb dish yet so I would pass. She told me I should get it now and install it when I get another dish or the price would go up. She also said I had to commit to Showtime. This is ridiculous. They need to have a big meeting and tell all the csrs what the hell is going on.
post #656 of 815 Old 06-15-2003, 06:39 AM
gn2
AVS Special Member

WHAT channels are the new HD offerings going to be on ?? Do they have any test material going out yet ???
post #657 of 815 Old 06-15-2003, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out Ch 99, just the blue logo presently. Seems 579 / 580's what ever, but no matter it will be very hard to catch them testing me thinks ;-)

You might do better on BUD / 4DTV catching someone doing something.......

It is "WOW" TV!
post #658 of 815 Old 06-16-2003, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im probably completely off base on this one but i noticed 3 channels 433, 434 and 435 that are listed as 'to be announced' on the guide of my HD box (t160). These channels do not show up on my regular box in the bedroom (sony b60). The logo indicates ParaTodos, so who knows....just an observation.

Hey, isnt 426 espn hd?.........just kidding :)

-j
post #659 of 815 Old 06-16-2003, 02:41 PM
KJD

and I did have to commit to Total Choice for 1 year ( no biggie, because DTV is the only Sunday Ticket provider), but my question is....what will I be able to receive with just the 110 bird? The installer guy couldn't get all 3 to come in, so my choice was 101 and 110 or 110 and 119. Since most programming is on 101, I went the 101-110 route. Like Larry, I may need to cut down some trees (LOL.....hey nothing gets in the way of HDTV), but if the misses says no go on the Stihl saw route, what's gonna be on 110? Thanks.
post #660 of 815 Old 06-16-2003, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by KJD
and I did have to commit to Total Choice for 1 year ( no biggie, because DTV is the only Sunday Ticket provider), but my question is....what will I be able to receive with just the 110 bird? The installer guy couldn't get all 3 to come in, so my choice was 101 and 110 or 110 and 119. Since most programming is on 101, I went the 101-110 route. Like Larry, I may need to cut down some trees (LOL.....hey nothing gets in the way of HDTV), but if the misses says no go on the Stihl saw route, what's gonna be on 110? Thanks.
I haven't heard of having line-of sight to all 3 sats, but not at the same time.

If you want HDTV, you'll have a problem. Most of the HDTV channels are/will be on the 119 sat. SHO-HD is currently on 110, and I think most of the newer locals are also.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page