Closed Thread

post #1 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Excerpted from Broadcasting & Cable, by Allison Romano

Fox Sports Net is jumping into high-definition production with some of its local and regional sports coverage.

Time Warner Cable will offer FSN games from Fox's 13 owned-and-operated regional sports networks as part of the MSO's latest free HDTV offerings.

FSN will concentrate its efforts in markets it shares with Time Warner, including Los Angeles; Minneapolis; Orlando, Fla.; Houston; and North Carolina.

FSN will produce the games locally in high definition, and they will be available at no additional charge to subscribers.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If this eventually expands to D*, I'll upgrade to TC Premier to get it.
post #3 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
It's worth noting that Fox Sports NW is doing the same thing on at least a limited basis with Comcast in Seattle. They are broadcasting a handful of Mariners games in HD between now and the end of the season.
post #4 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I hope this spreads corporate wide at Fox.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #5 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

If only the NFL package were available from cable....
post #6 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyboss
If only the NFL package were available from cable....
The latest rumor I've heard is that this may be possible, with a specific cableco.

I stress the word rumor.

post #7 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would think it will be hard to swallow if Fox's presentation of North East Texas State vs Central New Orleans Technical Institute is better quality than their NFC Championship Game.
post #8 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
I would think it will be hard to swallow if Fox's presentation of North East Texas State vs Central New Orleans Technical Institute is better quality than their NFC Championship Game.
You bring up an interesting point.

post #9 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 03:51 PM

Fox Sports HD programming will be available beginning this fall, most likely coinciding with the start of the NHL and NBA seasons. Customers can look forward to exciting games in HD from the following FSN’s

o FSN North (Minnesota & Milwaukee)
o FSN South (Raleigh & Tennessee)
o FSN Southwest (Houston & San Antonio)
o FSN West and West2 (L.A.)
post #10 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 04:00 PM

What About Fox Sports Bay Area Warriors, Kings, Sharks, Giants and A's?
post #11 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 04:06 PM

Is this a carriage-exclusive-only with Time Warner Cable, or will other HD-enabled cableco's/dbs be able to provide the HD version of these feeds? Of course, I will be ESPECIALLY interested in watching my re-vamped re-tooled LA Lakers 41 home games on Fox Sports West but alas I live in an area serviced by Cox Communications...

-T
post #12 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
The latest rumor I've heard is that this may be possible, with a specific cableco.

I stress the word rumor.
I hope it's Cox.
post #13 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
One would have to assume, given Mr. Murdoch's future DBS entity, that DirecTV would also have access to these HD productions.
post #14 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 05:04 PM

HDTV Additions
Internal Q&A
DRAFT 06-05-03

Q. What type of programming will each of these services offer?

 Discovery HD Theater will provide content 24/7 filmed entirely in high-definition. The channel delivers programs about nature, science and technology, geography, travel and world culture – all designed to provide the highest-quality viewing experience available.
 Fox Sports Net’s owned and operated regional sports networks will produce live HD game telecasts of several Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association and National Hockey League teams.
 INHD will carry an impressive schedule of movies and sports programs in high-definition having already lined up agreements with CSTV: College Sports Television and Crown Media’s Hallmark Entertainment. iN DEMAND is aggressively pursuing quality content in HD from major suppliers for the INHD suite of channels.

Q. When will the new HD services be available?

Our goal is to deliver these services as quickly as possible. The best information we have at this point is as follows:

 Discovery HD Theater
This exciting addition to the TWC HDTV programming package will be available for launch later this summer. Divisions interested in accelerating the launch timeline should get approval from programming/EVP.

Fox Sport Net’s
Fox Sports HD programming will be available beginning this fall, most likely coinciding with the start of the NHL and NBA seasons. Customers can look forward to exciting games in HD from the following FSN’s
 INHD
This innovative new service will be available for launch in September.

Q. How will the new services be priced?

 Discovery HD Theater and the Fox Sports Net’s regional HD programming will be added to the TWC HDTV package which is available at no additional charge to TWC customers. The addition of these services is another demonstration of TWC’s superior HDTV offering in terms of both content and value versus satellite.

 A Time Warner Cable high-definition digital converter is required to receive HD programming. HDTV equipment is available at the same rate as standard digital equipment.

 As a premium service, INHD will require an additional cost which has yet to be determined and may vary from division to division.
post #15 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 05:07 PM

Any word if Comcast will carry FSN in HD?

bmark
Mitsubishi WS-55311
RCA RT 2600
Philips DVD 724
MX-500
post #16 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe I missed this thread earlier - how AWSOME!
I lived in Raleigh for 5 years and can only assume this will mean that my teams -NC State and Hurricanes will be broadcasted on TW in HD - so sweet - not that I will tell TW, but this is to me worth about 40-50 bucks during season / month.

So does anybody know the following?
Format - 1080i?
Channel - are they going to open up a separate HD channel for each of the fox stations? - anybody knows how this is going to work?

Thanks for the great news - HD is so getting better and better every day
post #17 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by radiocranium

They've already got their feet wet with FSW in Los Angeles. Last year there were several weeknight Dodger HD simulcasts with 653 and 199.

Does FOX Sports want a piece of this HD Package action that ESPN-HD just got? Or are they building a separate package? I would guess the latter. If they were to join the existing package, Rupert would just be making a check out to himself.
post #18 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Although Fox Sports New York is not a Fox O & O network (they're owned by Cablevision), they have already been producing HD content for several years now. Anyone know if FSNY will be included among those being talked about in this announcement?
post #19 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
How about Comcast Sportsnet HD showing these games given their affiliation agreement with Fox Sportsnet? Just a thought!
post #20 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by mhdiab

So does anybody know the following?
Format - 1080i?
FOX is on record as supporting 720p because of sports. It would be a good assumption that this will be 720p but I have no info confirming or denying this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #21 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

I stress the word rumor.
A buddy from work who is a Comcast (Maryland) subscriber mentioned last week he was getting NFL ST via cable this fall. I told him I thought it was exclusive to DirecTV and he swore up & down it was coming to Comcast.
post #22 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
THe rumour is that Comacst would give up the right the Comcast Sportsnet in Philadelphia to Direct TV in exchange for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I have heard this a number of times from insiders and have been not sure what to make of it. Do not know if it includes CSN-HD and whether it was for Philly only or all Comcast systems. Why would Direct TV give up nation rights to Comcast for the feed of CSN out of Philadelphia.? Anyway, that is what I have heard rumoured.
post #23 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

ok now that this rumor has been brought up..

a month or so ago, i called comcast here in dallas..and managed to get an engineer or someone who knew something about HDTV

he told me that our networks are being upgraded for HD and that comcast WOULD OFFER a Sunday Ticket package similar to DirecTV..

and i thought he didn't know what the hell he was talking about because i figured ST was a DirecTV exclusive..

let's see what happens
post #24 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is awesome news except I see no mention of Fox Sports Midwest. Please tell me it ain't so. I need to see my Cardinals in HD.

All these new HD channels starting up is just great!!!

Mike
post #25 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Count me in as another who is excited. Please, someone tell me that Fox sports rocky Mountain is in the mix and I can look forward to seeing the Broncos and Jazz in HD?!?!?!?

Michael.
post #26 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
FOX is on record as supporting 720p because of sports. It would be a good assumption that this will be 720p but I have no info confirming or denying this.
foxeng,
We're you as surprised by this announcement as I was? I generally have a good idea what is going on at Fox, but I thought the network would go HD before the sports net. ESPN and Comcast must have pushed Fox over the edge.
post #27 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know how D* in its current bandwidth incarnation can provide numerous FSN channels in HD. It would be very interesting to see if the deal isn't exclusive with Time Warner, however.

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
Southern California & Elsewhere
Xbox Live: EnderWiggin21
post #28 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 10:07 PM

They gotta do something, they being D*. Launch another satellite, ditch the shopping networks. Cut the number of music channels and PPVs in half. Force PAX out of business, and secretly delete all the womens channels. Something! I've gotta see my Lakers in HD too, on Directv! And the Kings.. (trembling). Get it done, boys... and I'll be watching 8)

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #29 of 112 Old 06-09-2003, 11:30 PM

Here in the Seattle area Comcast has announced that a few (about 12) Mariner games will be in HDTV on FoxSports NW. However, in order to receive these broadcasts I will have to upgrade from my Extended Basic package (at $41 per month) to the Digital Cable package. This would be about $12 per month more. (Comcast's other local HD offerings include only HBO HD and Showtime HD.) What I want to know is what other people out there are paying for HD, and does this sound excessive. My new video projector has been aching for some HD programming, but Mrs. El Cheapo just today agreed (after difficult negotiations) to a broadband connection, also from Comcast. Higher bills are strictly out of the question for a while.

Make home theater, not war.
post #30 of 112 Old 06-10-2003, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by fire407
foxeng,
We're you as surprised by this announcement as I was? I generally have a good idea what is going on at Fox, but I thought the network would go HD before the sports net. ESPN and Comcast must have pushed Fox over the edge.
Well, yes and no. There has been a push for a couple months to get the network sat upgrade finished and do higher bit rate testing and with the FCC and Congress telling CBS that they will work on the broadcast flag, I had hoped that something would break loose.

I am disappointed that they decided to go with the sports first and not net, but FOX is on record saying that they see sports driving the transition, so it is no real surprise that sports goes first (and that is a money maker now verses network that is just a money pit for the foreseeable future) and as everyone here has been saying for a long time, sports really has no shelf life when it comes to piracy, so maybe that has helped. You also have to ask yourself how much ESPN-HD has played a part in this. And you also have to ask yourself how much D* is playing into this as well. Lots of questions with few answers unless you have some insight. FOX is playing this close to the vest on my end.

With all the info I have, I have to say 2 + 2 = and it always seems to come out 5 never 4! Close but no cigar so I hate to prognostic too much. Might lose what little credibility I have ! :)

The thing that did surprise me was that North Carolina is one of the markets slated. I can only guess here, but if I were to guess it would be because FOX owns a station in this market (my station) and we have the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, and the new NBA team, the Bobcats I think I heard them say on the news last night, Carolina Hurricanes in Raleigh and ACC schools, (ACC Headquarters is based here in Greensboro) NC State Wolfpack, UNC-Chapel Hill Tar Heels, Duke Blue Devils, Wake Forrest Demon Deacons, and Clemson Tigers all within 3 hours drive of my station. (I hope that is a good assessment of the situation)

Sidebar: I hear Dave Boylan is leaving. He was the GM for the station I work for here when I was hired. Worked for him for 4 years before he went to Tampa. Quite a guy. I figured him for FOX corporate someday though. Guess he has had his fun in the sun and is ready to slow down. His wife's sister is still working in the traffic department here.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page