AVS Forum banner

Showtime in 4k? Nope.

34K views 208 replies 31 participants last post by  machpost 
#1 ·
What's currently the best format for streaming Showtime? Are there any available 4k and/or HDR options?

#4 ·
That's interesting in light of how HBO & Showtime actually led the way with HDTV, being among the first networks to offer a dedicated HD channel along with Mark Cuban's HDNet. My guess is they will begin offering 4k before any of the broadcast or other cablenets do.

#6 ·
4K seems to be streaming's domain. I watch Netflix "originals" in 4K. Though I have a Nvidia Shield TV device I have yet to get Netflix to work in 4K on it. YouTube will work in 4K on it but some reason it looks like YouTube has high bitrate VP9 encodes when the point of VP9 was to compete against HEVC with quality encodes at a lower bitrate. I watch Netflix in 4K on a Roku TV.

One thing about 4K even if you don't have any 4K sources is that 1080p upscaled looks even better.

#8 ·
HBO still masters all its shows at 2k, including their flagship programs like Game of Thrones and Westworld. Same goes for Showtime. But actually, Starz has just recently moved to a 4k production workflow for a lot of their shows. And if you have a Samsung TV on Comcast cable, you can use their UHD Sampler App to stream Outlander and Power in 4k, besides a few NBC and Syfy shows.

#9 ·
I didn't know Starz had 4k! Have to check it out when I get back (don't remember if I put starz play on my set). But now that Starz has some 4k content, I would assume others would not be far behind. I already use HBO Go more than watching it on cable. It has more content (than cable's on-demand), and things are on when I want. Hopefully they will jump to 4k soon as well.

#13 ·
Yeah it would be nice if they at least streamed 4k on their apps.

On a related note, WTF is with STARZ not allowing access to their app for Comcast subscribers?

Guess they will offer 4k streams if they think they can wring out an extra cent to add to their revenue streams.

As opposed to offering it so they get incremental subscribers to their premium channels. All premium channels other than HBO and Showtime should be working harder to attract subscribers.

#18 ·
As others have stated, Showtime isn't available from anyone in UHD (4K) or HDR, despite the fact that at least some of their shows have been filmed and mastered in UHD, such as Masters of Sex. Hopefully we'll see them offer a UHD version of their service now that they're competing as a streaming service against Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. My guess is that the biggest hold-up is that cable systems just aren't ready to offer UHD channels yet and Showtime relies on those partners to reach the bulk of their subscribers. If Showtime offered UHD content in their standalone streaming service before cable systems could also accommodate it, it probably wouldn't go down well.

But to answer your question, here's what I've found as to the quality of various streaming options for Showtime. HD picture quality (1080p) is best if you're getting Showtime as an add-on to your Amazon Prime Video subscription through the Amazon app*. It also has DD 5.1 surround sound. Unfortunately, though, you can't access the live Showtime channels through the app, only via Amazon's website on a computer.

Next after Amazon, I'd say the HD picture quality looks pretty much the same whether you're subscribing through the standalone Showtime app or as an add-on to Hulu in their app. The Showtime app is better, though, in that it has the live channel (both east and west coast feeds) right in the app; if you get Showtime through Hulu, you have to go to their website to view the live Showtime channel. I think the Showtime app may also offer DD 5.1 sound on some devices, while Hulu only offers stereo sound for all content.

You can also subscribe to Showtime through the PS Vue app. Unlike the three sources above, I've never tried it via PS Vue, so I can't directly comment on their HD picture quality. I believe all PS Vue content is delivered in 720p, so I wouldn't expect it to be as good a source as Amazon.

Overall, I've found HD picture quality from any of those sources to equal or exceed what I got back when I subscribed by satellite. (HBO, on the other hand, has really inferior HD picture quality from their streaming services HBO Now and HBO Go. I'd much rather watch HBO on satellite or cable.)

*I've found that if you're using the Amazon Video app on a device that can decode HEVC content (such as a smart UHD TV, the Fire TV Box 2, the Fire TV Stick 2, or new Rokus that can do UHD), Amazon will send Showtime streams to your device encoded in the more efficient HEVC codec. Unfortunately, the picture quality is actually worse, more compressed. It's still probably slightly better than from Hulu or the Showtime app. But it looks best from Amazon on older devices that can't handle HEVC!

#20 ·
Well, I honestly haven't had cable in many years, so maybe Comcast's picture quality was worse than I remember (or it's gotten worse in the intervening years). In the past seven years, I've had HBO (and Showtime) from Dish, AT&T Uverse, and DirecTV. Both HBO Now and HBO Go definitely look worse than what I saw on DirecTV and Dish (both of which are generally thought to offer better PQ than Comcast). Their streaming apps may even be worse than what I saw on Uverse a few years ago, which was pretty bad.

#21 ·
Well, I would be watching on my new Bravia TV which does use HEVC, so that muddies the waters. I've also seen some complaints that the Amazon Showtime add-on delays new episodes by quite a bit, which would be frustrating if true.

#22 ·
I've always found that Amazon makes new Showtime episodes available as soon as they air on the live channel, with the exception of political docu-series The Circus, which wouldn't be available until a day or so later. There's probably also a delay in boxing matches (which air live on Showtime). Also, I'm not sure about the Inside the NFL series. But as for all other content (scripted series, movies, etc.), I've always found that stuff to be immediately available regardless of which app you use to you subscribe: Showtime, Hulu or Amazon.

#23 ·
That's good to hear. My main interest in Showtime is for scripted series -- Homeland and Billions.

#25 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread, but people are reporting the Penny Dreadful: City of Angels premiere is playing in 4k Dolby Vision on Apple TVs. That and the first season of Black Monday. I don't have an ATV, but do use the ATV app on a Fire Stick. I was able to get Picard in DV on it. But I was not able to get these Showtime shows. Please let me know if you're able to get Showtime in HDR on anything besides the ATV. Or if more shows pop up in HDR.

#29 ·
I have the Apple TV 4K but don’t currently subscribe to Showtime. Does it matter how I subscribe if I want to get 4k HDR? Looking for the cheapest option, without giving up quality.

#30 ·
It looks like it may not matter. I've seen posts (a couple quoted below) saying it's just the Showtime Anytime app on ATV. I know for Picard, I had to subscribe to CBS within Apple TV, but that may not be the case this time. I think you can get a month free trial right now.

I just noticed “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels” on Apple TV 4K Showtime Anytime app is in UHD Dolby Vision. It’s badged; DV UHD and played in DV. The first few minutes looked like HDR.

This is promising for future premium network streaming series if that’s the case.
Showtime app on the ATV was upgraded to 4K/DV. Looked fantastic! Beautifully shot. I liked the 1st episode so will definitely continue.

#33 ·
I highly doubt that Showtime and other premium cable channels want to take a back seat with 4K. The way streaming works is you can check what the device supports and what bandwidth is available and provide an appropriate stream. So if engineers at these companies want to test 4K support it's easy to do. And on my 4K Roku TV streaming "City of Angels" had too much definition to be 1080p.

#46 ·
I tried watching the second episode last night as I did the week before through my Showtime add-on on Hulu. Last week it streamed fine and in 4K. Last night there must have been a pile-on as it would keep rebuffering and even did so coming back an hour and a half later. So they aren't quite setup yet for a lot of viewers on the 4K stream. I'll try again today.

#48 · (Edited)
Both episodes of Penny Dreadful; City of Angels is now showing up as 4K on the Apple app on the Roku (It was not this way just a few days ago)

Tonight's Billions is also showing up as 4K

Most likely just a matter of time for different apps/platforms to be updated. Thankfully Apple is offering a free month trial for Showtime so can just use that and hopefully other apps update by then.

Edited to add the episodes are also showing up as 4K on my Fire Stick in the Apple TV app.

#49 ·
Both episodes of Penny Dreadful; City of Angels is now showing up as 4K on the Apple app on the Roku (It was not this way just a few days ago)

Tonight's Billions is also showing up as 4K

Most likely just a matter of time for different apps/platforms to be updated. Thankfully Apple is offering a free month trial for Showtime so can just use that and hopefully other apps update by then.

Edited to add the episodes are also showing up as 4K on my Fire Stick in the Apple TV app.
so it seems like Showtime is doing a better job of implementing 4K HDR across a wide range of programs then CBS-AA ever did

#50 ·
"City of Angels" played 4K yesterday afternoon just fine. There might has also been a Internet problem on Saturday night though not locally as Amazon 4K shows I watched were playing properly. "Billions" isn't "filmed" very well for 4K, mainly old style "TV" just like "The Blacklist" which was filmed 4K from the beginning. "City of Angels" has those long depth of field shots where the background is crisp or even the hospital shots where people down the hall were crisp resolution.

#52 ·
Based on comments in this thread you would only get 4K and/or HDR/DV support on Firestick 4K if you are subscribed and watching Showtime through the Apple TV app.

I have a 4K HDR/DV capable TCL Roku TV and a Firestick 4K device connected to it also and I don't see 4K support from Showtime Anytime app via Roku or Showtime Anytime app via Firestick 4K device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.