Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 4/20/2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By oriolesmagic
  • 1 Post By oriolesmagic

post #1 of 15 Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 4/20/2017

This will be the new thread going forward that is a comprehensive chart of all providers' HD offerings nationally. The chart includes major cable, satellite, telco, IPTV and streaming offerings. The previous thread can be found HERE.

Channels are broken down by category so that you can compare offerings between providers for networks (standard television channels), premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz), international channels (channels either being in another language other than English or marketed to international audiences), and PPV channels (either by subscription service or one-time rental fee).

In the case of cable providers, some channels may not be carried in your market due to bandwidth or perceived lack of interest. You should always check with the provider before signing up for service if you are looking for certain services. As always, channels are subject to change with carriage disputes and format changes. If you have any questions about what is available in a certain market, please ask me and I'll try to get that information for you. Channels marked wide are carried in at least 50% of possible markets from that company.

Regional sports networks are usually only offered in their respective territories. DirecTV offers the Sports Pack that allows you to access these out-of-market. Essentially, use the regional sports network chart as a way to determine what might be seen in your area if you're a sports fan. Note that some providers don't carry all regional sports networks available, and that what you can get in a certain area may vary from providers.

Premium channels, and some networks, are available with East and West feeds. They are only marked on this chart if a provider offers both. For most premium channels, only one feed will be offered in an area. Some providers do offer both feeds, and prioritize the native area feed on their respective coast.

A downloadable file is available of all 3 charts. Feel free to download these as you wish:
HD Lineup
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...TdJWENmbFVhRzQ
RSN Chart
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...E1tdHlDenl4MXM
Channels Not in HD
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...E9Cd256UU85ZTg

Last edited by oriolesmagic; 04-20-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 102
OM,

Well Done!

The only thing you missed is the channels you took out of the chart like Military History, Lifetime Real Women, etc. are not on the not available in HD list.

Some of them might be gone soon though as a lot of those channels on that list might go under.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, HD.

The only reason I didn't include them on the not in HD chart was because some have said there are HD feeds of them on satellite.

They're certainly going to be some of your most vulnerable channels.

I deleted BlueHighways from the chart (since it's morphed into LAFF, a subchannel carried on local stations) and I deleted FCS College Sports HD, since it appears it's a localized feed to Oklahoma only for Cox. Outside of that, the chart is looking a bit leaner. You'll also notice that Comcast is beginning to rename their RSNs NBC Sports, but has only done so thus far in the Bay Area.
HDOrlando likes this.

Last edited by oriolesmagic; 04-21-2017 at 05:57 AM.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
Thank you, HD.

The only reason I didn't include them on the not in HD chart was because some have said there are HD feeds of them on satellite.

I deleted BlueHighways from the chart (since it's morphed into LAFF, a subchannel carried on local stations) and I deleted FCS College Sports HD, since it appears it's a localized feed to Oklahoma only for Cox. Outside of that, the chart is looking a bit leaner. You'll also notice that Comcast is beginning to rename their RSNs NBC Sports, but has only done so thus far in the Bay Area.
fox college sports hd alt on directv may in the same place a very very part time HD slot. One on cox seems to the be the same hours and hours of (off air) just holding an slot.

you missed Comcast/NBC SportsNet Bay Area Plus 2 HD.

need to check later but there maybe a few mainly satellite only FSN sub-feed alts/overflows missing (cable viewers have them auto feed in at the headed by fox controlled hardware).

also the there seems to be a few cut and paste errors as well.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

I've not added CSN/NBCSN Bay Area Plus 2 because it doesn't appear the channel actually exists on Comcast systems in the Bay Area. I added CSN NE Plus because Comcast has added that in HD in those territories.

These alternate RSN feeds are largely a mess, and handled wildly different between cable and satellite. But I say this never being a fan of the RSN chart, and I really don't see much purpose for it. The out-of-market RSN content is largely meaningless without Extra Innings/Center Ice/League Pass, and is not carried on cable. What is in-market can vary wildly from provider to provider, and the current chart has no real way to capture that. For example, what is in-market with DirecTV in New Mexico is largely Denver sports (ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain, Altitude), but on Comcast, you get Fox Sports Arizona. I would like to find a way to show things like this, because that I think would be valuable content, outside of what is for cable, nothing more than a "We sort of operate in this region" kind of map. I'll continue to maintain it for now, however.
dishrich likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I've not added CSN/NBCSN Bay Area Plus 2 because it doesn't appear the channel actually exists on Comcast systems in the Bay Area. I added CSN NE Plus because Comcast has added that in HD in those territories.

These alternate RSN feeds are largely a mess, and handled wildly different between cable and satellite. But I say this never being a fan of the RSN chart, and I really don't see much purpose for it. The out-of-market RSN content is largely meaningless without Extra Innings/Center Ice/League Pass, and is not carried on cable. What is in-market can vary wildly from provider to provider, and the current chart has no real way to capture that. For example, what is in-market with DirecTV in New Mexico is largely Denver sports (ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain, Altitude), but on Comcast, you get Fox Sports Arizona. I would like to find a way to show things like this, because that I think would be valuable content, outside of what is for cable, nothing more than a "We sort of operate in this region" kind of map. I'll continue to maintain it for now, however.
also need some local to parts of WI that get the cubs / sox / blackhawks. To say what they get on cable as the cable system has main CSN feed in HD + maybe an Flex ALT HD slot. Do they CSN + HD stuff on CSN HD when CSN HD has a bulls game on? does att-uverse just black out the bulls games there with the same base feeds as the main Chicago area gets?

CSN/NBCSN Bay Area Plus 2 is HD on directv just like CSN Chicago plus 2 HD.

Look for old posts hear and http://dbstalk.com/ + http://satelliteguys.us/ for some history of CSN Chicago plus 2 HD aka alternate.

Comcraps cable systems can't do part time feeds that well as they don't have SDV.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post
also need some local to parts of WI that get the cubs / sox / blackhawks. To say what they get on cable as the cable system has main CSN feed in HD + maybe an Flex ALT HD slot. Do they CSN + HD stuff on CSN HD when CSN HD has a bulls game on? does att-uverse just black out the bulls games there with the same base feeds as the main Chicago area gets?

CSN/NBCSN Bay Area Plus 2 is HD on directv just like CSN Chicago plus 2 HD.

Look for old posts hear and http://dbstalk.com/ + http://satelliteguys.us/ for some history of CSN Chicago plus 2 HD aka alternate.

Comcraps cable systems can't do part time feeds that well as they don't have SDV.
As I understand it in Wisconsin, the only areas that really get Comcast SportsNet Chicago are in and around Kenosha County on the border. Everything else gets too close to Milwaukee, and is exclusively claimed by the Brewers and Bucks. Spectrum (TWC) Kenosha has Comcast SportsNet Chicago, and DirecTV has it in-market. Kenosha is blacked out for the Bulls. By the time you get to Racine County, the only things that are in-market are the Brewers, Bucks and Minnesota Wild.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
As I understand it in Wisconsin, the only areas that really get Comcast SportsNet Chicago are in and around Kenosha County on the border. Everything else gets too close to Milwaukee, and is exclusively claimed by the Brewers and Bucks. Spectrum (TWC) Kenosha has Comcast SportsNet Chicago, and DirecTV has it in-market. Kenosha is blacked out for the Bulls. By the time you get to Racine County, the only things that are in-market are the Brewers, Bucks and Minnesota Wild.
well in the border areas some times dish / directv has more HD then the local cable. Now that may be an goal in a new RSN list to show how well the cable system stack up in overlapping RSN zones.

also I think that some of the spectrum sports channels are also used for the main RSN alt feeds as needed.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post
well in the border areas some times dish / directv has more HD then the local cable. Now that may be an goal in a new RSN list to show how well the cable system stack up in overlapping RSN zones.

also I think that some of the spectrum sports channels are also used for the main RSN alt feeds as needed.
Someone in those areas will have to tell us how/if those work that way, the same for legacy Charter markets with the "Regional Sports Extra Games HD" channel they have. I've never found a listing to know what's on those channels. Charter willingly advertises the alternate SEC Network feed, just added the EPL feeds and Pac-12 feeds from TWC. Legacy Charter doesn't seem to carry BTN alternate feeds in HD, although most of those areas seem to have 2 alternates in SD within the Big Ten conference footprint. Some of the legacy TWC areas added BTN Alternate in HD (I know Wisconsin and Ohio did).

It really depends on whether Dish/DirecTV or cable is better for RSNs. Dish not carrying any of the New York-based RSNs is well-documented, as well as the Dish/DirecTV blackout on CSN Philadelphia and CSN Northwest. There's a ton of content and I don't know how you could ever really display that in any meaningful way. In my home market, it depends on what Comcast system you're on what you get in terms of RSNs. It's a mess here between the Baltimore/DC, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh RSNs. Only ROOT Sports Pittsburgh has complete coverage throughout the territory. Some counties get Comcast SportsNet DC, others Philadelphia, York County gets both. And it gets even uglier if you're in one of the smaller cable companies' territories since Armstrong refuses to carry Comcast SportsNet, Blue Ridge refuses to carry MASN, etc.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AXS and HDNET is not available at all on TWC. I'm not sure why that was changed.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #11 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
AXS and HDNET is not available at all on TWC. I'm not sure why that was changed.
Because AXS TV and HDNet Movies are being added as markets transition to Spectrum. All markets with the exception of Hawaii (Oceanic Time Warner Cable) received these channels.

Now you have to change to a Spectrum plan to be able to receive them, but AXS TV is on channel 299 and HDNet Movies on channel 640 in Spectrum markets. You won't see these if you're on a plan that you had with Time Warner Cable.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Because AXS TV and HDNet Movies are being added as markets transition to Spectrum. All markets with the exception of Hawaii (Oceanic Time Warner Cable) received these channels.

Now you have to change to a Spectrum plan to be able to receive them, but AXS TV is on channel 299 and HDNet Movies on channel 640 in Spectrum markets. You won't see these if you're on a plan that you had with Time Warner Cable.
Oh crap! I had no idea! Thank you!

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, HD.

OM,

Maybe a new category like "On Satellite but might not be available".

Spectrum should definitely drop Blue Highways when it's contract ends. It's dumb to carry it and the Laff sub channel.

They also NEVER had any HD programming.

Those channels not already in HD are definitely going to be on the chopping block.
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of channels not already in HD, Boomerang's main site now goes to their new App service. I just saw a commercial for it with old stuff stretched/upconverted and new stuff in HD.

https://www.boomerang.com/

I would not be surprised at all to see the regular channel just go away and even though they have original programming, if they wanted to do an HD channel, they would have done it by now.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Esquire Network HD along with Chiller left Bright House systems this morning as well as Charter and Time Warner Cable. Both are now off Spectrum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming