"X-Files" gets 2nd 10-Episode Season on FOX - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 04-20-2017, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
"X-Files" gets 2nd 10-Episode Season on FOX

From the "Hot Off the Press" thread, top of 'HDTV Programming' page.

TV Notes (Broadcast)
‘The X-Files’ Deal Finally Done; Revival Set to Return For Second 10-Episode Season
By Michael Schneider, IndieWire.com - Apr. 20, 2017

The truth is finally out there, again.

After a long delay, a deal is finally in place to produce a second edition of Fox’s “The X-Files” revival. The show’s three principals — stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, and creator/executive producer Chris Carter — are back for the new installment.

The event series is set to air during the 2017-2018 season, with production set to begin in summer 2017.

“Iconic characters, rich storytelling, bold creators – these are the hallmarks of great TV shows. And they are some of the reasons why ‘The X-Files’ has had such a profound impact on millions of fans worldwide,” said David Madden, President, Fox Broadcasting Company. “Chris’ creativity, along with the brilliant work of David and Gillian, continue to propel this pop culture phenomenon, and we can’t wait to see what fresh mysteries Mulder and Scully uncover in this next chapter of ‘The X-Files.’”

It was never in doubt that Fox and 20th Century Fox TV wanted another edition of “The X-Files,” it was only a question of when and how Duchovny, Anderson and Carter could fit it into their busy schedules.

Just a few months ago, Fox TV Group chairman Gary Newman said he didn’t expect to have ‘The X-Files’ ready by next season, noting that the clock was getting tight.

“It’s just very difficult,” Newman said in January. “Their lives don’t lend themselves easily to finding time to do this. Gillian lives in London, she has young children. Coming to Vancouver for three or four months is not easy for her, particularly when she has other work commitments. David can be available, and then something big can come along for him. So it’s not easy to find time. We would love to do it again, and I believe there will be a time when it happens, but it does not feel imminent to me.”

In 2016, the return of ‘The X-Files’ drew an “average Multi-Platform audience” of nearly 16 million viewers, the network said, and was last season’s No. 2 broadcast drama.

“The X-Files” originally premiered in September 1993 and ran for nine seasons, earning 16 Emmy Awards, five Golden Globes and a Peabody Award. The show follows FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases.

20th Century Fox Television and Carter’s Ten Thirteen Productions, are behind the show. Here’s a first look at key art for the revival revival: [CLICK LINK BELOW]

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/x-f...er-1201807661/
rich3fan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Your move Chris.

Are you going to retcon the recon to make another retcon?

Will the cliffhanger end in a way that makes some kind of sense?

Will David Duchovny look less sleepy?

If a UFO crashes in a forest and nobody is around to be taken over by black goo does the Syndicate still exist?
videobruce likes this.

post #3 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 909
wow glad they bring it back, and for 10 episodes this time! Although the last one was kind of a mess and a bit of a letdown, I love this characters... Yes hopefully David Duchovny will have his wit back this time around. As for Gillian Anderson I'll take any chance I have to watch her She was amazing in The Fall by the way.
WS65711 likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.

post #4 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Great news! The only thing better than the X-files is more X-files.
post #5 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2563
Split into a separate thread for season 2.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Will the cliffhanger end in a way that makes some kind of sense?
This is what I want to know. I was rather surprised when it went to black and the credits rolled at the end of the 6th episode. I was all then
post #7 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 709
why bother, after the last attempt it's evident there is nothing else left to say. Carter is clearly out of ideas.
videobruce likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #8 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
This is what I want to know. I was rather surprised when it went to black and the credits rolled at the end of the 6th episode. I was all then
they wanted to do more but they did not have the time.
post #9 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
hopefully they can lure Vince Gilligan back to write an episode...I'm also hoping for more standalone monster-of-the-week episodes versus mythology...the once great alien invasion mythology has been reduced to utter nonsense now...also please no more final episode cliffhangers please
post #10 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post
they wanted to do more but they did not have the time.
Lousy excuse. They had six episodes and knew well in advance but Carter chose to begin and end with the conspiracy arc. If he needed more time for that story there were plenty of MOTW episodes in the middle he could have used.

post #11 of 43 Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I thought the last season was a mixed bag, a couple episodes I really liked, a couple I didn't enjoy very much, and a couple in the middle. I am cautiously optimistic on this upcoming season, hopefully with more episodes they can bring stuff together a little better than their last effort!

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #12 of 43 Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 786
It was lousy for everyone except the hardcore fans. A few good conspiracy eps and a bunch of crap.

Won't stick around for this junk in S2, especially given Duchovny sleepwalking through most of S1.
thehun likes this.
post #13 of 43 Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If David Duchovy acts likes he still cares,it could be a better attempt at quality this time.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5107 Post(s)
Liked: 11773
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Lousy excuse. They had six episodes and knew well in advance but Carter chose to begin and end with the conspiracy arc. If he needed more time for that story there were plenty of MOTW episodes in the middle he could have used.
The MOTW episodes were better than the two conspiracy bookends he did. In fact, those two shows may single handily cause me not to watch this new season. Who am I kidding? I'm in. I love the X-Files. I even have my snacks ready.
Spoiler!
acebreathe and rich3fan like this.

post #15 of 43 Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
hopefully they can lure Vince Gilligan back to write an episode...I'm also hoping for more standalone monster-of-the-week episodes versus mythology...the once great alien invasion mythology has been reduced to utter nonsense now...also please no more final episode cliffhangers please

Breaking X ?
post #16 of 43 Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It was lousy for everyone except the hardcore fans. A few good conspiracy eps and a bunch of crap.
I don't even know how hardcore fans could forgive it so easily. Those fans were the people most likely to have been trying to follow Carter's ridiculous improvised mythology for ten years and this new season just destroyed it in two episodes and made it irrelevant.
acebreathe likes this.

post #17 of 43 Old 04-25-2017, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Mixed feelings about this. I thought the revival was all over the place. But who am I kidding, I will watch, I have to at this point, to invested not to.

post #18 of 43 Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Never understood the retcon angle. Wasn't it already introduced in the original series, of an intentional plot by the govt to misdirect Mulder's investigations with "staged" UFO scenarios?
post #19 of 43 Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post
Never understood the retcon angle. Wasn't it already introduced in the original series, of an intentional plot by the govt to misdirect Mulder's investigations with "staged" UFO scenarios?
Some parts were, but the overall mythos as proposed by the current story that Carter introduced is that the only aliens that ever existed were those at Roswell.

That means every scene in which the Syndicate was explaining the colonization plan in secret was only to fool the television audience. It also means that the alien bounty hunters, black oil, EBE, giant colony ship bursting out of the ice, elborate bee plots and DNA collection vaults etc. etc. was all just a big hoax to throw Mulder off track and the Syndicate even had actors playing those parts even when Mulder wasn't even around. All along it was just the government's way of hiding the origins of Roswell technology incorporated into the media to fool the public so they could be wiped out by some elaborate virus so that CSM could save the Earth and rebuild civilization with just a select few.

post #20 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it actually established that Roswell was the only real aliens?... Or just the only ones we know of (as far as possessing hardware)?

Couldn't all of those other things in the series have been going on as well?

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #21 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Is it actually established that Roswell was the only real aliens?... Or just the only ones we know of (as far as possessing hardware)?

Couldn't all of those other things in the series have been going on as well?
Nope. Roswell was the only alien incident in human history and everything since then was the government using and developing alien tech and staging events to make it appear aliens were responsible.

It comes up in the first episode and is then clarified later. Everything was a big hoax to fool Mulder and the audience so CSM could kill off the population.

post #22 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The writers can always wiggle out of that. Some happenings can be determined to be elaborate hoaxes that were concocted to throw Mulder off the trail. So many "trees" that he couldn't see the forest. Remember, this is a TV show.. they've revised history in the last short season. They can always come up with a new spin on things if they choose to do so.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #23 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
The writers can always wiggle out of that. Some happenings can be determined to be elaborate hoaxes that were concocted to throw Mulder off the trail.
There are limits to the amount of effort expended in making a hoax to fool one guy. Having a giant spacecraft buried under the ice just so that Mulder can see it fly away is one of them.

Others you cannot wriggle out of. When episodes are shot from the viewpoint of an alien lifeform, events occur away from the protaganists or entire scenes take place in private that detail exactly the opposite of what CSM stated at the end of this season.

It's all Carter doing this and he has said as much in interviews that he's just throwing out the old mythology to make a new one. He took ten years of an already convoluted mythology and dumped the majority of it. If you want to see exactly how the show mythos has unravelled you can just Google the retcon and see the reactions.

I didn't even follow the show for the last two seasons and barely paid attention to the black oil/hybrid/bounty hunter/colonization arc when it was on but even I can tell that Carter just basically flipped his finger at the audience and waved the history of the show away.

post #24 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had a similar impression that from our perspective there was no way to tell what was
real, what was not, if it was all one thing, all the other, or a mixture of stuff going on. That is somewhat like ufo mythology in real life, right? It's all a jumbled mix of fake pictures, intentional misinformation, and just maybe some real encounters amongst all that.

I only took it as Roswell was the only iron clad incident of alien beings and alien hardware. Everything else has been elusive and/or inconclusive, but that doesn't mean it wasn't real or never existed.

The conclusion that Carter chose was simply that the nwo conspiracy decided to act on their own timeline on something that was going to happen inevitably. Is it fitting end for X files?... Maybe, maybe not, depending on your expectations. Maybe the message in that is that we spend so much effort fearing the unknown, but in the end, our undoing will come from our own hands. In essence, we are
still our own worst enemy, whether or not aliens are running around and whether or not aliens are real or not.
post #25 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I only took it as Roswell was the only iron clad incident of alien beings and alien hardware. Everything else has been elusive and/or inconclusive, but that doesn't mean it wasn't real or never existed.
Except CSM explicitly laid out the history of what was happening. As did other characters to back up the arc. Carter tied the majority of alien encounters to the colonization arc but the new story changed all of that. If Roswell was the only alien encounter then all the other episodes with additional alien encounter scenes by government agents and kept in records don't make sense. We had scenes of cops shooting the alien bounty hunters, labs full of clones, hybrids, black oil infections, the Syndicate talking to Greys to discuss the plans ... those are not inconclusive, they were definitely alien. They were not for Mulder's benefit either since he was never involved in those scenes.

You can find explanations of exactly how it changed online. How previous events involving the bees and smallpox instead of being a way to create hybrids to survive the invasion instead are now some kind of inoculation to survive the virus killing everyone because the Roswell aliens said humans were going to destroy the Earth and the Syndicate decided to wipe out the population and start over.

All those previous events involved scenes of actual interaction with aliens. Now we are told they never existed.

post #26 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

CSM's *perspective* of events, of course. Is he so omnipotent as to know all that goes on from all angles? He's not even all that trustworthy, in the first place.

All I took from his explanations was that he (and the powers that be) upped the timeline for his own benefit.
curtlots and WS65711 like this.
post #27 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
CSM's *perspective* of events, of course. Is he so omnipotent as to know all that goes on from all angles? He's not even all that trustworthy, in the first place.
Not his perspective, our perspective. The audience is being shown scenes involving aliens he has no involvement in as part of the narrative. Then shown scenes that contradict those elements. If you discount that then anything on the show doesn't matter either. Any scenes involving Mulder or Scully never happen, so there is no point in creating any kind of story. Mulder coming face to face with the alien bounty hunter never happened because aliens do no exist. Mulder being chased by the faceless hunters never happened. Mulder never met his clone sister ... etc. etc.

post #28 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What scenes are you referring to?
post #29 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What scenes are you referring to?
I'm not going to list them because there are too many. Go and watch a random mytharc episode or read the Wiki

Any scene in which an alien is involved and is not the product of narration from CSM is the perspective of the audience.

The Syndicate was wiped out by alien rebels. Alien bounty hunters were killing people regularly. Multiple instances of grey aliens being encountered. EBE was shot from the perspective of an alien. There were characters like Jeremiah Smith who had alien abilities that worked with Mulder and Scully. http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Jeremiah_Smith

And Krycek ... he was so involved in the show in so many ways (including being taken over by the alien black oil) that's it's impossible to retcon his storyline. You just have to ignore the fact he ever existed for the new storyline to make any sense.

post #30 of 43 Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I know about those scenes, and I agree with the potential that those were real events in the X files world. What I'm asking is, what scenes in the 2016 episodes are contradictory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page