"The Cosby Show" Streaming 16x9 HD free for Amazon Prime Members - All Eight Seasons - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NetworkTV
  • 1 Post By jjeff

post #1 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Cosby Show Streaming 16x9 1080p HD Free for Amazon Prime Members - All 8 Seasons

Nice add for Amazon. Anyone know when Amazon added the show?

First Season link: https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Present...rds=cosby+show

(Insert link not working.)

Last edited by igreg; 05-09-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Wasn't that show recorded on videotape instead of film?
post #3 of 21 Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Wasn't that show recorded on videotape instead of film?
That's what IMDB shows: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086687/technical

Betacam, NTSC are mentioned on IMDB, as well as the 4:3 aspect ratio and its equivalent: 1.33:1.

Maybe someone can take a look at the Amazon Prime presentation to see if it is really being shown 16:9 and, if so, does it look like the top and/or bottom of the image is clipped.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

post #4 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
That's what IMDB shows: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086687/technical

Betacam, NTSC are mentioned on IMDB, as well as the 4:3 aspect ratio and its equivalent: 1.33:1.

Maybe someone can take a look at the Amazon Prime presentation to see if it is really being shown 16:9 and, if so, does it look like the top and/or bottom of the image is clipped.

It is 16x9....appears zoomed. Amazon playback shows as 1080p; however, not stellar HD quality.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Interesting, I would have thought the show would have been considered radioactive.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 118
More:

Carsey-Werner to Remaster Six Veteran Sitcoms in HD

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #7 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoM3 View Post
Interesting, I would have thought the show would have been considered radioactive.
While I agree with your remark and as much as one may not like the idea - Bill Cosby is a part of video history.

When I went through the National Museum of African American History and Culture last year I was interested to see if he was included. There was a small display showing Cosby and Robert Culp in I Spy.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #8 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
interesting, that thread is over 4 years old....
As these programs were shot on SD tape, IMO it's a real stretch to call them 1080p HD
Maybe 480p quality but 4:3 for sure, no chance of going back to the original WS film like has been done on some other series. 4:3 videotape is 4:3, nothing to recover.....unless you want to stretch or zoom, both of which are hack jobs IMO and I'd rather it be presented in 4:3 and if I want(which I never would) I could zoom or stretch them with my TV or player, if they do it, it's basically impossible to go back
post #9 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 774
I forgot which 60's series it was, but during the remaster they offered a 16x9 version too.
With all the zooming needed to fill the 16x9 screen and panning needed keep the action on screen... it made for a very uncomfortable viewing experience.

IIRC, there was one classic series where they "split the difference" between 4x3 and 16x9 presentations where the zoom was minimal and panning was almost unnoticeable. The results were really excellent on modern 16x9 TV's.

One series that may be a "special case" is Dark Angel.
It was shot in 16x9 format but broadcast and sold in DVD form in the states cropped to 4x3 AR. You can however purchase the UK DVD sets where it's presented in it's native 16x9 AR format. There's is a huge difference between the two DVD sets!

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama

Last edited by replayrob; 05-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
interesting, that thread is over 4 years old....
As these programs were shot on SD tape, IMO it's a real stretch to call them 1080p HD
Maybe 480p quality but 4:3 for sure, no chance of going back to the original WS film like has been done on some other series. 4:3 videotape is 4:3, nothing to recover.....unless you want to stretch or zoom, both of which are hack jobs IMO and I'd rather it be presented in 4:3 and if I want(which I never would) I could zoom or stretch them with my TV or player, if they do it, it's basically impossible to go back

Quite a few series presented in 4:3 have been converted to 16:9 or close to it with great results: Seinfeld; Friends; Charlie's Angels, and Hogan's Heroes to name a few.

But since this series negative was Video (NTSC), would that not be videotape and, therefore, not have enough information for conversion to HD? If so, is Amazon playback noting HD false? Thanks. (Past post has indicated need a list 16 mm for HD.)

Last edited by DrDon; 05-11-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Removed black background which is unreadable on Theater skin
post #11 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
\

Thanks for info; That 70's show is already in HD on Netflix and in 16x9, and looks great.

Wold be nice if did for all popular shows shot on film. Since Leave it to Beaver was streamed in HD on Netflix; shame that just sitting there and no access to HD or to Blu-Ray for the seriess; likewise for Charlie's Angels and Hogan's Heroes.

Hallmark is showing Hart to Hart in 16X9 HD, and looks quite good.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Hallmark is showing Hart to Hart in 16X9 HD, and looks quite good.
The IMDB Technical Specifications don't say much other than "Panavision Cameras and Lenses". Does anyone know if in 1979-1984 if that specifically meant film? If so, it could have been a case where the film was shot at 1.85:1 but keeping the essentials within 1.33:1 for 4:3 broadcasts of that time, but later opened up the gate most of the way to 1.78:1 for 16:9 broadcasts. That, at least, is one possibility of what happened for Hart To Hart on Hallmark.

Some shows shot on film made sure the whole exposed frame was good but kept action and titles in safe zone for 1:33:1; but that was not universal, as some directors didn't care what happened outside of the 1.33:1 area that was intended for broadcast so opening the gate for those shows sometimes revealed cast hands, the edge of sets, etc., that were never meant to be seen by the viewing audience.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #13 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes gave this a look by watching most of the first episode and the quality level is as expected for videotape. The pan/zoom did not look too bad. A top of the head was cut off from time to time.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post
Yes gave this a look by watching most of the first episode and the quality level is as expected for videotape. The pan/zoom did not look too bad. A top of the head was cut off from time to time.

Would you still say it is HD, just not high quality HD? Would think it to be HD because another source is planning to show it in HD, as noted by the earlier link, Carsey-Werner to Remaster Six Veteran Sitcoms in HD, with one of the six The Cosby Show in HD. Thanks.(and yet from what I have read videotape lacks the info for HD, so perhaps The Cosby Show not shot on videotape? Thanks.

Last edited by igreg; 05-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Would you still say it is HD, just not high quality HD? Would think it to be HD because another source is planning to show it in HD, as noted by the earlier link, Carsey-Werner to Remaster Six Veteran Sitcoms in HD, with one of the six The Cosby Show in HD. Thanks.(and yet from what I have read videotape lacks the info for HD, so perhaps The Cosby Show not shot on videotape? Thanks.
It is flagged by the amazon app as 1080p but the quality is not good - the average AVSer would agree I'm pretty certain.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-13-2017, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post
It is flagged by the amazon app as 1080p but the quality is not good - the average AVSer would agree I'm pretty certain.
Yes, but still HD? Poor HD is often not much better than good SD.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-13-2017, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Yes, but still HD? Poor HD is often not much better than good SD.
The signal they are sending out may be HD, but the source material is not.

The Cosby Show was recorded on SD video tape. There is no HD source. It's an upconvert made worse by blowing it up to make it 16x9.
igreg likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Unlike a quality program like Seinfeld, Hogans Heroes or even Friends which were shot on film, as said the Cosby Show was shot on SD videotape of the time, which was very much SD. With film you have the option of going back to the original HD film, re-editing it and ending up with pretty decent HD. With a film shot TV program of the time the original material was shot with a film camera but was then edited on SD videotape for airing. With a program that was originally shot on videotape and then edited on videotape, you have no quality source to go back to

When I said "quality" program I'm not knocking The Cosby Show but rather how much money the producers wanted to spend recording it. Many sitcoms or other 1/2hr programs of the time were "shot on videotape, in front of a live audience" as they used to say in the audio over credits on All In The Family, which is a highly respected show but unfortunately the producers decided to save money, that and they probably wanted the "live audience" effect over a canned laugh track.

I've never seen one but I'd love to see a list of all the major 70s-90s TV programs listing which ones were shot on videotape vs film. I'd guess most all the 1hr dramas would be film based and most 1/2hr sitcoms would be videotape but it would be nice such a list.

Note at some point in the 00's producers started using HD video, which is the best of both worlds. I really doubt anyone is using film for TV programs anymore, heck even movies meant for the theater are now being shot on video although I doubt they use tape but rather HDDs? for storage.

I'm open to being corrected by anyone who knows more about the whole film/videotape shooting thing, I'm just repeating what I've read in various threads mostly here on AVS
igreg likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I really doubt anyone is using film for TV programs anymore, heck even movies meant for the theater are now being shot on video although I doubt they use tape but rather HDDs? for storage
I believe Westworld is one of several productions shooting on Super35. Fargo was on film, but went digital for season 3. American Horror Story was shot on film up through "Hotel".
post #20 of 21 Old 05-13-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 774
The Walking Dead is still shot on film AFAIK.

Here's a up to date "shot on film" list from Kodak... which includes TV productions and feature films:

http://www.kodak.com/motion/customer...ions/index.htm

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #21 of 21 Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Does it run with any disclaimers before or after each episode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page