post #1 of 46 Old 05-18-2017, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 70
A Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

I couldn't find a thread for this!

Is anyone watching this show? Book reader, not a book reader, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 05-18-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked: 4081
I think I wish it wasn't on Hulu, a service I don't need and won't subscribe to just to see this show. I'm looking forward to watching it when it shows up on Netflix or Amazon, though.

The era of Peak TV sucks sometimes.
j.p.s likes this.
post #3 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great show, my wife and I look forward to the new episodes every week.

post #4 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I am enjoying it quite a bit myself.
post #5 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I think I wish it wasn't on Hulu, a service I don't need and won't subscribe to just to see this show. I'm looking forward to watching it when it shows up on Netflix or Amazon, though.

The era of Peak TV sucks sometimes.
Uhh, unless Hulu is shut down it will never ever show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime (to buy on Amazon, maybe). This show alone is very easily worth the 8 bucks for a Hulu sub (or the $12 commercial free option really). And I'm sure you can find more on there to add value.

Edit to add: I came back to Hulu after a pretty long absence, and I'm really impressed by how much is on it now. I'm even planning to try out their Live TV service once they go to 60fps (24p content in 30fps just drives me up the walls). Hope I don't sound like a shill.

2nd edit: but I wish it was in 4k HDR, so I do wish it was Netflix or Amazon
allargon likes this.

Last edited by lobosrul; 05-19-2017 at 08:29 AM.
post #6 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I'll start a 30-day free trial to watch this at some point this summer. Too much on my TV plate at the moment. I've heard great things about this show, I enjoyed the original movie when it first came out, and I recently grabbed the ebook for free as an Amazon Prime member. Oh, and Elizabeth Moss.

As a cordcutter there's an outside chance I'll sign on for Hulu's live TV service, but not until they start carrying AMC. (I'm currently with PS Vue, which is a steal for the $35/mo. I pay).
post #7 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'll start a 30-day free trial to watch this at some point this summer. Too much on my TV plate at the moment. I've heard great things about this show, I enjoyed the original movie when it first came out, and I recently grabbed the ebook for free as an Amazon Prime member. Oh, and Elizabeth Moss.

As a cordcutter there's an outside chance I'll sign on for Hulu's live TV service, but not until they start carrying AMC. (I'm currently with PS Vue, which is a steal for the $35/mo. I pay).
Out of curiosity do you watch on Android/Chromecast on PS Vue? I did a free trial and found the interface horrible, especially the DVR functions. Might be amazing on a PS4, but I dont have one.
post #8 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Out of curiosity do you watch on Android/Chromecast on PS Vue? I did a free trial and found the interface horrible, especially the DVR functions. Might be amazing on a PS4, but I dont have one.
I don't think I would've cut the cord last year if I hadn't been able to do a free trial of PS Vue on the PS4. However, I've heard that the Amazon FireTV Box (not stick) handles it just about as well and has the same interface. The DVR functions still aren't as responsive as on an HDD-based DVR, and you have only a 28-day window to watch most recordings, and you can't manually set timers. But apparently a major upgrade of PS Vue's DVR is in the works. For $35/mo. I could live with it the way it is.
post #9 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Uhh, unless Hulu is shut down it will never ever show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime (to buy on Amazon, maybe). This show alone is very easily worth the 8 bucks for a Hulu sub (or the $12 commercial free option really). And I'm sure you can find more on there to add value.
I know they're doling it out one episode per week. If, at the end of its run the entire series is available at once, I might think about a one-month subscription and binge it. Or, even better, get a one-month free trial as Zook suggests.
post #10 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Excellent series! I've been enjoying each episode.
post #11 of 46 Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 151
It's a great series. Almost makes me want to forgive Hulu for their horrible new UI.
David F and allargon like this.
post #12 of 46 Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I am watching it for the first time today. It seems to be a great show so far.
Don S likes this.

Samsung UN65MU8000
C61K, HR 54, HR 24, HR 21
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player, Roku Ultra
Denon AVR X1200W
Klipsch R-28F, R-25C, R-10SW, R-15M, RP-140SA
Samsung UN55HU6950 + SEK-3500U - Master Bedroom
post #13 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Does anyone know what the tune is that plays in the music box? I know it, but I just can't think of what the title is.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #14 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I couldn't find a thread for this!

Is anyone watching this show? Book reader, not a book reader, what do you think?
We just finished up the season. Very impressed with it's adaptation to the screen. Curious how Hulu will move forward with ensuing seasons considering that they now have to diverge from Atwood's novel.

Just me, or has anyone else noticed really crushed blacks in darkly-lit scenes? I have an admittedly modest set (UN65KU6300 Samsung) so maybe it's just the limitations of my tv, which is really sensitive to source. I wish Hulu could get on the 4K and Dolby bandwagon.
post #15 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm on episode 8 and so far it is a great show. I was surprised we got back stories for two guys so far. I hope we get back stories for some of the women in power.
post #16 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
We just finished up the season. Very impressed with it's adaptation to the screen. Curious how Hulu will move forward with ensuing seasons considering that they now have to diverge from Atwood's novel.

Just me, or has anyone else noticed really crushed blacks in darkly-lit scenes? I have an admittedly modest set (UN65KU6300 Samsung) so maybe it's just the limitations of my tv, which is really sensitive to source. I wish Hulu could get on the 4K and Dolby bandwagon.
They are color timing the crap out of the show in the present-day Gilead scenes; all of the colors are desaturated except for the red the handmaids are wearing. I saw photos of the actual dresses in the Emmy booklet -- the wives' dresses, which read teal/green on my TV, are a much richer and prettier blue. And the aunts, who seem to be wearing a dark brown, are wearing closer to dark khaki. I think this is an interesting creative decision, but it does drastically change the original colors.

Maybe whatever they're doing is changing the black too.
archiguy likes this.
post #17 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great show, my wife and I have been really enjoying it.
post #18 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
They are color timing the crap out of the show in the present-day Gilead scenes; all of the colors are desaturated except for the red the handmaids are wearing. I saw photos of the actual dresses in the Emmy booklet -- the wives' dresses, which read teal/green on my TV, are a much richer and prettier blue. And the aunts, who seem to be wearing a dark brown, are wearing closer to dark khaki. I think this is an interesting creative decision, but it does drastically change the original colors.

Maybe whatever they're doing is changing the black too.
Wow I never would have thought the wives dresses were blue. Absolutely green on my set. Hulu is 720dp or 1080?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 46 Old 06-21-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow I never would have thought the wives dresses were blue. Absolutely green on my set. Hulu is 720dp or 1080?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Hulu has "officially" had 1080p streams since last December but many observed we had been seeing 1080p long before that, probably accidentally. For instance when they got the Epix library probably no one at Epix bothered to limit play to 720p, so if probing the device showed the bandwidth and device supports 1080p it would probably stream a 1080p stream. Their "officially" seemed to have more to do with their original programming as did their 4K support.

Some are reporting that they are no longer seeing the 4K UHD logo on shows that are supposed to be 4K. I would ask if the show still looks 4K if they can tell the difference. Again the way players work they will probe for 4K support and if bandwidth is there stream it. I have a 4K Roku TV and the original shows (lately "Cardinal") has exceptional PQ. I also have an Nvidia Shield TV and as an Android developer can get logs when apps run. Recently for the first time I found the Hulu app probing for 4K support where it had never done that before. As ad hoc as Hulu is run they may just not be bothering with the 4K logo anymore.
post #20 of 46 Old 07-06-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
I had the same experience. I know the show was mastered in Dolby Vision; I wonder if they screwed something up in the HDR to SDR mapping. I just ran a bunch of test patterns yesterday to verify black point was set correctly, and that gamma on my projector hadn't drooped significantly.
post #21 of 46 Old 07-08-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think Hulu supports Dolby Vision or HDR yet. So it was probably just an SDR stream. Mastering is, of course, another issue. Expanded color is like surround sound and requires extra color grading to be done.
post #22 of 46 Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3996
I finally got an upgraded Hulu subscription so I don't have to watch commercials any more. In honor of the occasion, I have started watching The Handmaid's Tale. I had heard good things about the show and have always liked both Elizabeth Moss and Yvonne Strahovski. They haven't disappointed me in the first two episodes. The show is deliciously creepy so I am looking forward to the rest of Season 1.
Don S likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #23 of 46 Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 AM

The problem with 'The Handmaid's Tale' is that what was once safely dystopian fiction is starting to look a little like a possible future reality. In some places on earth, women are already treated similarly.

What I found especially chilling was how the flashbacks depicted it all happening so fast. Once the ball started rolling downhill, it reached the bottom with frightening speed. The new reality was quickly normalized and accepted by nearly everyone.
post #24 of 46 Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The problem with 'The Handmaid's Tale' is that what was once safely dystopian fiction is starting to look a little like a possible future reality. In some places on earth, women are already treated similarly.
Agreed. When I first read the book long ago I remember thinking we're fairly safe from anything like that happening since it first requires women to become almost completely barren for some reason. Or at least make it difficult for them to bring a baby to term, or have it born healthy. What could possibly cause that on a broad scale? Then along came zika. My first thought when I heard of that virus was, what if it mutates and just starts to spread directly from person to person without the need of a mosquito carrier?

I love the show and find the acting terrific and the setting just as disturbing as when I read the book.
post #25 of 46 Old 08-17-2017, 06:49 PM

I finished watching Season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale and by the end I was fully committed to the show. This is good stuff!

I thought the first few episodes had frequent slow spots, with occasional very slow spots. As the show progressed, though, it got better and better. The last two episodes had me on the edge of my seat.

The show's stars, Elisabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Joseph Fiennes, and Max Minghella were all terrific. Moss and Strahovski's performances simply blew me away. The scene in which Serena (Strahovski) made Offred (Moss) take a pregnancy test and the later one depicting Serena taking Offred on a road trip in a locked van were both chilling.

The music in the show impressed me too. The many tense scenes were ratcheted up by the eerie weird music that accompanied them.

Finally, highest marks to the novelist, Margaret Atwood, who created the awful dystopia in which a few autocratic and religiously zealous (albeit selectively so) men managed to make slaves and concubines of the few women who remained who were capable of bearing children. Brrr!
Doe Doe likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #26 of 46 Old 09-05-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally signed up for a free trial and just watched the first two episodes of this great show on a Roku Premiere+, but I didn't get 5.1 DD audio, though I get 5.1 using the Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Now apps. Has anyone else gotten 5.1 on a Roku or other device?
post #27 of 46 Old 09-05-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Hulu is stereo only, on all devices...
gwsat, Zookster and Dargent0628 like this.

Bobby 

post #28 of 46 Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Hulu is stereo only, on all devices...
Then that's the reason for cancelling I'll give when my free trial is up, if asked.

With folks talking about 4K earlier in the thread, I naturally assumed Hulu was up on other standard 21st-century home entertainment technology. Apparently not.
post #29 of 46 Old 09-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Then that's the reason for cancelling I'll give when my free trial is up, if asked.

With folks talking about 4K earlier in the thread, I naturally assumed Hulu was up on other standard 21st-century home entertainment technology. Apparently not.
Hulu's main attraction for me are the many relatively obscure British series it has. MI-5, Line of Duty, and Prime Suspect come immediately to mind. Some of them are so old they are in SD, so Hulu's 2 channel audio limitation isn't a concern. A Handmaid's Tale was a nice bonus. Another Hulu Original that I really liked was 11.22.63. Bottom line, I get enough use out of Hulu to make my subscription worth what it costs.

post #30 of 46 Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Another Hulu Original that I really liked was 11.22.63. Bottom line, I get enough use out of Hulu to make my subscription worth what it costs.
I purchased that one on bluray and it was a mindblower both visually (over the Hulu cast) and audio with DTS MA 5.1....

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page