Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 870Likes

post #331 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
People are criticizing it for 2 reasons -

1. The show seems to pander to SJWs ....
Oy, So without seeing an episode, we've decided this? Perhaps we should actually watch a few shows , rather than just reading quotes from people associated with the show, before we try to find any more ways to bash it.

p.s. It's not as if all the other Treks weren't "politically correct" most of the time. TNG and Voyager specifically , tripped over themselves to pander to political correctness champions.
aaronwt and allargon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3937 Post(s)
Liked: 4086
The whole point of Gene Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek was its optimistic view of humanity. That we'd eventually grow out of our petty differences, hatreds & prejudices and mankind would unite in order to make a better, more harmonious future based on mutual respect and "doing the right thing" by everyone else, including the aliens they encountered. Now, I suppose that concept is treated with the derisive alt-right acronym SJW (which I unfortunately just learned about).

Seems to me, based on what I've read about this show, that it's actually going the other way. We're taking our petty differences out there with us. Which, admittedly, is more realistic. Not sure it's Star Trek, though.
StormCrow, IronWaffle and Frank714 like this.
post #333 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

@archiguy While I agree with your assessment, whether or not Roddenberry's original vision was that we all get along, trying to have a series about that in 2017 is flat out boring IMO, and should not be what a new Trek series strives to be. I want to see conflict, personal and otherwise, and I want the characters to have a little more depth for once. Way too many cardboard cutout characters in the past has never dampened my love of Trek, but I can still wish for more here, and we may get it, I hope :-)
aaronwt likes this.

post #334 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3937 Post(s)
Liked: 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
@archiguy While I agree with your assessment, whether or not Roddenberry's original vision was that we all get along, trying to have a series about that in 2017 is flat out boring IMO, and should not be what a new Trek series strives to be. I want to see conflict, personal and otherwise, and I want the characters to have a little more depth for once. Way too many cardboard cutout characters in the past has never dampened my love of Trek, but I can still wish for more here, and we may get it, I hope :-)
I think Gene's original vision just got diluted over the years, with one new Trek after another, all the movies, the second set of movies, third set of movies, etc., each one "darker" than the one before. The original Star Trek debuted during a time of great upheaval in America -- the Vietnam war, war protests, riots, opposition to civil rights legislation, Nixon just elected, etc. We needed us some hope, some unification, a sunnier vision of what America could be. Now, seems to me, we need it again for much the same reasons. But this isn't it. Maybe 'The Orville' is ready to pick up that mantle. But umm, it's kind of lame.

In any event, it seems to me like the veneer of Star Trek is being peeled off for this show, leaving something underneath that's decidedly not Trek. That said, I'd probably watch it anyway because I'm a genre fan, if it were not a cash-grab by CBS. I subscribe to enough streaming services as it is; not adding one more just for this show.
Defcon and IronWaffle like this.
post #335 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I think Gene's original vision just got diluted over the years, with one new Trek after another, all the movies, the second set of movies, third set of movies, etc., each one "darker" than the one before. The original Star Trek debuted during a time of great upheaval in America -- the Vietnam war, war protests, riots, opposition to civil rights legislation, Nixon just elected, etc. We needed us some hope, some unification, a sunnier vision of what America could be. Now, seems to me, we need it again for much the same reasons. But this isn't it. ....
I agree again, but I am not sure that someone's vision 50 years ago needs to be strictly held to in 2017. Others will call heresy, and that's fine. It's personal opinion, but for me, I love Trek IN SPITE OF how politically correct they all act most of the time, not because of it. I think it's easy to conflate being optimistic about humanity's future with being PC all the time. They are not the same, and it is quite possible to have a good show where the characters aren't always nice in the end, are in conflict, and have multiple dimensions to their personality - and still - have a positive overall view of our future. I do agree that we could use some aspirational shows at this time, but I think it's possible to have it and give some flesh to the plot and characters.

I don't expect it to be great. I expect I will like it though, because it's Star Trek :-)
aaronwt likes this.
post #336 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked: 4205
Quote:
The whole point of Gene Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek was its optimistic view of humanity. That we'd eventually grow out of our petty differences, hatreds & prejudices and mankind would unite in order to make a better, more harmonious future based on mutual respect and "doing the right thing" by everyone else, including the aliens they encountered. Now, I suppose that concept is treated with the derisive alt-right acronym SJW (which I unfortunately just learned about).

Seems to me, based on what I've read about this show, that it's actually going the other way. We're taking our petty differences out there with us. Which, admittedly, is more realistic. Not sure it's Star Trek, though.

Nothing alt right about it. They are equally irritating to right and left.
post #337 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Can we keep the politics out of this thread please? I'm all for bashing CBS All-Access, but not the slant of the story lines. That stuff doesn't belong here.
BGLeduc likes this.
post #338 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 644
CSB has blocked all reviews of Discovery before it airs - a sure sign that it had negative reviews. Same thing happens to big movies which aren't reviewed well. It doesn't bode well at all.

I agree with previous comments and said the same thing myself - Trek has always been about overcoming diversity and equality for all, and hope for humanity. But this show's PR has gone out of its way to make sure they include all possible color/sexual orientation not because of story, but to not 'offend' anyone and so that they can claim to be 'modern'. They've said the story will be 'dark' so basically like a hundred other crime procedurals except with the Trek name attached.

It is set 10 years before TOS yet the writers/producers have made zero effort to preserve any continuity or ensure any consistency in the tech etc. All signs point to them not being concerned in the slightest, they are counting on the Trek name and the rest be damned, who cares about story anyway. Its being targeted at the people who watched the JJ movies and haven't seen the original Trek, i.e. people to whom the name is just 'explosions in space and people with pointed ears'.
post #339 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 686
I will reserve my high horse and gnashing of teeth until after I see a few episodes, which I suspect will be approx. 10 minutes after it airs on the east coast and about 2 hours before it airs out here on the west coast.......

Then I can spew bile and fury from my high horse with ammunition to justify it.........

I just hope it is at a minimal as good as dark matter so it is watchable at least.
JoeTiVo and allargon like this.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #340 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well at lest I'll be able to watch it on kodi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #341 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Well I will say that the trailers look nice.

I think the cinematography and effects are quite stylish in their sepia hue. Having said that, it looks nothing like a Trek show because of those reasons. DS9 was about as grimdark as the universe needed.The tone shift could have the same jarring effect that Stargate Universe had on it's audience.
JoeTiVo likes this.

post #342 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope it comes to Netflix in the US a few months after airing, its the only way I can watch this. Unless the CBS streaming has a free trial?
post #343 of 1012 Old 09-14-2017, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
I hope it comes to Netflix in the US a few months after airing, its the only way I can watch this. Unless the CBS streaming has a free trial?

there's a commercial-free option that costs $9.99 a month...the ad version costs $5.99...you get a one week free trial for any new subscription
post #344 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
there's a commercial-free option that costs $9.99 a month...the ad version costs $5.99...you get a one week free trial for any new subscription
Except the "commercial-free" option still has commercials for CBS shows.
aaronwt and allargon like this.
post #345 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I think Gene's original vision just got diluted over the years,
You should check out 'Chaos on the Bridge (2014)' on Netflix, narrated by William Shatner. It chronicles Roddenberry's struggles with the Next Generation. The original writers told Gene that a show without conflict would be boring. It wasn't until he died and guys like Ron Moore took over some of the writing, that the stories actually improved.
archiguy and RxpSGR like this.
post #346 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
The original writers told Gene that a show without conflict would be boring. It wasn't until he died and guys like Ron Moore took over some of the writing, that the stories actually improved.
I actually started watching The next generation again with my daughter. I do not remember the season but I was surprised how little conflicts there was and I loved that each episode covered a different topic. Funny how I remember it as being action packed with Borg's and stuff.

I'm looking forward to the new one but I do not think it's going to last in this day and age.
post #347 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I actually started watching The next generation again with my daughter.
One of my favorite episodes was 'The Inner Light' (season 5, episode 25). No conflict, but was well written. I picked up the Original Series, Next Gen, and Enterprise on Blu-ray when they were released. Glad I did. Too bad Deep Space 9 and Voyager won't get the same HD treatment. I will watch the premiere on CBS, and then purchase the Blu-ray set when it comes out. I won't be paying for CBS All Access.
RxpSGR and IronWaffle like this.
post #348 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Except the "commercial-free" option still has commercials for CBS shows.

yeah they should rename it 'commercial-lite'...commercial-free implies none at all
post #349 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

WTF!?!?
I did not know that. If that is going to be the case, then I might as well pay for a VPN to watch Discovery from Mexico or some other country on Netflix with no commercials. I don't mind paying the extra for CBS ALL ACcess. But not if it means I will still be exposed to commercials.

Now I need to find a VPN provider. It's been years since I messed around with that stuff.
Yeah I tired CBS All access... "no commercial" plan while ago just to see what it was about...and when our family actually had CBS shows we liked to watch....and then I saw it still had commercials.......immediately canceled. CBS All Access is BS and pure money grab. No way I will support it no matter how brilliant Discovery might be.

Need to check on VPN...have never used it....But if it meant I could watch via Netflix then Ill do it.

Also, some people of work mentioned using Smart DNS. Not sure what that is about.

Last edited by RafaelSmith; 09-15-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #350 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
yeah they should rename it 'commercial-lite'...commercial-free implies none at all
You don't pay extra for the commercials - hence, the commercials are free.....i.e., it's commercial....free!

Oh, look - another commercial - and it's free!
post #351 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 12:14 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6414 Post(s)
Liked: 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Yeah I tired CBS All access... "no commercial" plan while ago just to see what it was about...and when our family actually had CBS shows we liked to watch....and then I saw it still had commercials.......immediately canceled. CBS All Access is BS and pure money grab. No way I will support it no matter how brilliant Discovery might be.

Need to check on VPN...have never used it....But if it meant I could watch via Netflix then Ill do it.

Also, some people of work mentioned using Smart DNS. Not sure what that is about.
Thanks. I knew there was another way of doing it. And I think the Smart DNS may have been what I tried years ago.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #352 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Quote:
Thanks. I knew there was another way of doing it. And I think the Smart DNS may have been what I tried years ago.
As I recall, you'll need a router with a healthy CPU in it as VPN's can result in slower connections speeds with underpowered routers.
post #353 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
One of my favorite episodes was 'The Inner Light' (season 5, episode 25). No conflict, but was well written. I picked up the Original Series, Next Gen, and Enterprise on Blu-ray when they were released. Glad I did. Too bad Deep Space 9 and Voyager won't get the same HD treatment. I will watch the premiere on CBS, and then purchase the Blu-ray set when it comes out. I won't be paying for CBS All Access.
The Inner Light is the finest episode in all of Trek (all the series and movies). Rewatching it dilutes none of the power and emotion, its amazing how a simple story with no sfx, tension or conflict is so meaningful, because its about the core of scifi - ideas. It regularly is in the top 10 lists of Trek. And the musical score is the finest in all of Trek as well.

There's a later episode when Picard plays that flute, and you can see what a lasting impact it had on him.

lokilarry and unretarded like this.

Last edited by Defcon; 09-15-2017 at 01:03 PM.
post #354 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
As I recall, you'll need a router with a healthy CPU in it as VPN's can result in slower connections speeds with underpowered routers.
Yes i read that. But considering the top HD bitrate is only around 5Mb/s, I hope that isn't an issue. From what I just read this afternoon it seems like Netflix shut the door on the DNS stuff to bypass where you are located. So the VPN services are the best option from what I read. My Asus router is very old though(2011). But hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out. Since the top rated VPN service I looked at has a 30 day money back guarantee.

post #355 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yes i read that. But considering the top HD bitrate is only around 5Mb/s, I hope that isn't an issue. From what I just read this afternoon it seems like Netflix shut the door on the DNS stuff to bypass where you are located. So the VPN services are the best option from what I read. My Asus router is very old though(2011). But hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out. Since the top rated VPN service I looked at has a 30 day money back guarantee.
That's true, the low bitrate of CBS streaming may not present a problem.
post #356 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 02:04 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That's true, the low bitrate of CBS streaming may not present a problem.
It would be streamed from Netflix. Which tops out around 5Mb/s for HD.
Not sure I want to deal with the VPN though. Plus it will be close to $12 a month. I will try the free week of CBS All Access to watch the first two episodes of Discovery. And if I am not satisfied with it then I will try the VPN route.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.
post #357 of 1012 Old 09-15-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
It would be streamed from Netflix. Which tops out around 5Mb/s for HD.
That's right, forgot my thinking cap today!

Still, 5Mb/s could be touch and go with Netflix as far as getting the best HD stream.

I'm curious to hear as to how well it works once you get it going.

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that you'll get a better quality product from Netflix than you will from CBSAA. I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to pay to get that quality.

I'm not sure how I'm going to watch it. Initially, I'll be waiting for some reviews from the folks in the very thread and if it's decent I'll have to look into a way to get it, but it definitely won't be CBSAA.

Last edited by Keenan; 09-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.
post #358 of 1012 Old 09-18-2017, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
The Inner Light is the finest episode in all of Trek (all the series and movies). Rewatching it dilutes none of the power and emotion, its amazing how a simple story with no sfx, tension or conflict is so meaningful, because its about the core of scifi - ideas. It regularly is in the top 10 lists of Trek. And the musical score is the finest in all of Trek as well.
That is my wife's favorite episode of the entire series. She watches it every time they replay it.

post #359 of 1012 Old 09-18-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I know this has probably already been beaten to death in this thread, but why in the heck would CBS limit this show to their streaming service?? It's completely doomed to fail because of that.

As far as using a VPN to fool Netflix in to thinking you're in a different country, can you just do that on a PC to avoid putting your entire network on the VPN??

I realize most/all of you are probably using a Roku, smart TV, etc... for Netflix but it would be a PIA to switch the entire network over to a foreign VPN server just to watch one show. It can really mess with a lot of web sites, etc... that auto detect your location based on your IP address.
post #360 of 1012 Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I know this has probably already been beaten to death in this thread, but why in the heck would CBS limit this show to their streaming service?? It's completely doomed to fail because of that.

As far as using a VPN to fool Netflix in to thinking you're in a different country, can you just do that on a PC to avoid putting your entire network on the VPN??

I realize most/all of you are probably using a Roku, smart TV, etc... for Netflix but it would be a PIA to switch the entire network over to a foreign VPN server just to watch one show. It can really mess with a lot of web sites, etc... that auto detect your location based on your IP address.
Because they make more money per subscriber from the streaming service. More than twice as much as a cable subscriber. Plus they want to use Discovery to help increase their subscriber numbers.

As far as a VPN, you would only enable it when you need it. So you would enable it while watching Discovery, and then disable it afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page