Restored "My Fair Lady" on TCM Tuesday - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Restored "My Fair Lady" on TCM Tuesday

Was not a big fan of Lady to begin with. Just happened to be flipping through channels last night (Tues) and came across this old war horse. Had my PJ on at the time, and the arresting visuals drew me in to this classic. Blushingly beautiful period piece/class satire, with some timeless songs that are quoted often to this day.

I am used to seeing quote High Definition unquote movies on TCM-HD that look meh, with no HD source and/or a poor print. This, however, looked stunning -- a worthwhile transfer of the original 65mm master, hearkening back to the days when large-cast feature movies were filmed with quasi-Imax gear. The end credits were appropriately devoted to the restoration team.

I wouldn't mind going out to the cinema if/when they schedule this as part of the TCM Big Screen Classics in theaters. I'll be sure to DVR it next time it's on TCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
Was not a big fan of Lady to begin with. Just happened to be flipping through channels last night (Tues) and came across this old war horse. Had my PJ on at the time, and the arresting visuals drew me in to this classic. Blushingly beautiful period piece/class satire, with some timeless songs that are quoted often to this day.

I am used to seeing quote High Definition unquote movies on TCM-HD that look meh, with no HD source and/or a poor print. This, however, looked stunning -- a worthwhile transfer of the original 65mm master, hearkening back to the days when large-cast feature movies were filmed with quasi-Imax gear. The end credits were appropriately devoted to the restoration team.

I wouldn't mind going out to the cinema if/when they schedule this as part of the TCM Big Screen Classics in theaters. I'll be sure to DVR it next time it's on TCM.
It was indeed gorgeous. Hopefully MGM will produce an exquisite, audio, video Ultra HD, 4K disk of this exceptional film. I would purchase it as soon as it became available.

As for TCM, you are absolutely correct, their general line up of supposed "HD" films are horrible! Mediocre at best and usually just slightly better than SD (Standard Definition). TCM should be ashamed of themselves. They claim to have a great love and care for classic and vintage films and yet the product they showcase to the public for a heafty monthly fee is terrible.

I don't know who's worse, COMCAST or TCM as far as third rate, poor picture quality goes.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
As for TCM, you are absolutely correct, their general line up of supposed "HD" films are horrible! Mediocre at best and usually just slightly better than SD (Standard Definition). TCM should be ashamed of themselves. They claim to have a great love and care for classic and vintage films and yet the product they showcase to the public for a heafty monthly fee is terrible.

I don't know who's worse, COMCAST or TCM as far as third rate, poor picture quality goes.
I didn't mean to be that critical of TCM. They are working with old movies that reside in the backwaters of the modern-day tentpole productions that pay for almost everything now. I feel that the real responsibility for good transfers and prints lies at the feet of the very studios that originally produced them. You would think that sheer corporate pride would prod these guys into showcasing films (especially the 65mm ones) from the glory days of cinema.

Nevertheless, some of the quasi-HD presentations are worth seeing. The recent screenings of The Sandpiper, with its location shooting in Big Sur, is still beautiful to behold. If they ever did a 4K remastering of Ryan's Daughter, shot on the shores of Dingle Bay in Ireland, I would love to see that.

Here in SoCal we are privileged from time to time to see retired projectionists team up to show 70mm stuff, but even those screenings are getting rare. Kudos to TCM for managing a full-on three-projector Cinerama showing of How The West Was Won a few years ago, complete with an Osborne interview with Debbie Reynolds afterwards. Talk about "immersion"! Practically no one from the modern Home Theater era has had a chance to experience one of these. Simply amazing.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 428
My Fair Lady remains the #1 movie on my list of all-time favorites, where it has resided for decades. I own this DVD as well as its predecessors with this copy far and away the preference. I understand it took enormous effort and skill to retrieve the parts to make the whole for the restoration as some original scenes are still missing, incredibly. It's not like this film was ever a backwater production that could understandably be lost from shear inattention. If My Fair Lady can be left to molder, what other films are degrading as we speak?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page