Exclusive to AVS: CBS Sports & DirecTV join to present "The NFL On CBS" in HDTV! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Cornjulio21
As an example, in the Bay Area the local CBS station will often choose to broadcast game of Raiders rivals, when the Raiders are on Fox, ESPN, ABC or have a Bye, as in week 1. This may very well mean they would pick up the KC v. SD game. If the national HD game is Buffalo v. NE, might they show KC/SD on the local analog channel, while simultaneously showing NE/Buff. on the digital HD channel?
Nope.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 08:10 PM

Liked: 10
Alright, heres a dumb question. In Chicago, CBS digital's channel is broadcast on Comcast. So, since CBS has an exclusive deal with direct TV, does this mean that the Comcast CBS feed may not send out the HDTV feed? (That would be interesting, get it OTA but not from the digital cable). I'm doubting it, but anyone have some insight?
Mike
post #93 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Well, Bill vs. Pats is listed first on the sportsline website.

So there.

:)
It's pretty funny that we're speculating, since CBS probably hasn't even decided yet!
post #94 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Would CBS send its "premiere" crew to the game that is broadcast nationally? If so, on nfl.com you can get the national broadcast schedule for each week of the season. CBS has 11 or 12 nationally broadcast games throughout the year.

Is there a possibility we can look at these games as being the HD games, and then they just pick a game the other 5 weeks that they don't have a nationally televised game?

Just a thought...

Neal

PS...way to go CBS

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
post #95 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When we get a pro team in Detroit, I'll get on board.
At least the Lions have a yooper for a coach now (I don't know if Mariucci or Izzo is the pride of Iron Mountain, I guess it's Izzo until the Lions win the Superbowl ... please note this is not my prediction).

Don
post #96 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:14 PM

Now that we got a game of the week in HD. Maybe now we can convince them to quit compressing the hell out of the other games on ST. Especially for the price we are paying this year!
post #97 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 596
So, what, about 30 million households tune into NFL football each week?

And of thosem at most about 1 million or so now have access to those games in HD.

So in an optimistic scenario, the CBS, ESPN and ABC are now making 20% of the games every week available in HD to reach what will almost certainly be <5% of the audience.

While I realize some people will never be satisfied with what they've got in life, I gotta say I still feel like our HDTV cup runneth over. We are noise that barely registers above the Big Bang remnants stilll "heard" on radio telescopes and gigantic media companies are bending to our will!

It could easily be 5 NFL games next fall and perhaps 7-9 the year after that. Maybe it will, maybe it won't... But I'm pretty excited that we went from basically zero to 50 regular-season HD broadcasts in just one year.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #98 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
And all for just (4) easy payments of $49.95 for ST, plus $10.99 for ESPN-HD, no ABC-HD on DirecTV, CBS-HD 1 game/wk on DirecTV only if ST subscribed and not blacked out, $800 set top box, and only a 1 year commitment!

10 yard penalty - false start
Pass...incomplete
Punt
post #99 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kf
Maybe wishful memory on my part, but I recalled the original NFL schedule makers as featuring Indy @ Cleveland. I found the original announcement:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6274154

Quote:
"CBS, which carries U.S. Open tennis that Sunday in the late time slot, will carry seven early regional games led by a meeting between two more 2002 playoff teams -- Indianapolis at Cleveland."

While the NFL's "featured game" may not match up with CBS' view of the premier game of the week, this is the only matchup featuring two playoff teams. Also, Indy and Cleveland played late last season in a last second nail-biter.
Being from Cleveland (and I'm a Dolphins fan), the talk has been that the Indy vs Cleveland game is the "National Game" for lack of a better description. Thus, it seems that this game would be the top game for CBS.

I'm not sure if this is accurate but I've been told this by die-hard Browns fans.
post #100 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy
Now that we got a game of the week in HD. Maybe now we can convince them to quit compressing the hell out of the other games on ST. Especially for the price we are paying this year!
They can take the bandwidth away from our HD channels! Those HD channels are wasting space.
post #101 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 02:02 AM

If you are a D* subscriber and do NOT subscribe to the NFL Ticket and the primary game happens to be an LOCAL game (i.e. you live in NY and the JETS Game is the HD Game this week) - will you get to view the HD Feed of your Local Game which happens to be the HD Primary Game??
post #102 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dreggman
If you are a D* subscriber and do NOT subscribe to the NFL Ticket and the primary game happens to be an LOCAL game (i.e. you live in NY and the JETS Game is the HD Game this week) - will you get to view the HD Feed of your Local Game which happens to be the HD Primary Game??
The answer is yes...on WCBS-DT.
post #103 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji
The answer is yes...on WCBS-DT.
But only if the Meadowlands is sold out. If the game is not sold out, then the blackout rules kick in... no HD for you. Go to the game.

"Your vacuum cleaner ate my pants. There was nothing I could do."
post #104 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

As Ken said "And for those who don't remember, a year ago we were getting zero, zip, zilch, nada NFL HDTV games each and every week of the entire regular season. Now we're getting at least 3. Do the math; it's all good."

I couldn'th have said it better myself. Only on this forum would you actaully find people COMPLAINING when we're going from ZERO HD games a week to 3. Remember it's one small step at a time for HD and CBS is certainly leading the pack.

As for the earlier comment about comparing ABC/ESPN NFL in 720p to CBS in 1080i, you will be blown away by CBS' broadcast. Last year's AFC championship was the best HD sports broadcast I have ever seen, bar none. I guarantee you will agree that it is no contest between the two.
post #105 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garydean
But only if the Meadowlands is sold out. If the game is not sold out, then the blackout rules kick in... no HD for you. Go to the game.
I'm pretty sure the Meadowlands is sold out already.
post #106 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

The Jets and G-men are always sold out at the swamp.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #107 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by RichYak
Actually the worst case will be those of us in NYC where we get few doubleheaders because we have two local teams. I don't know exactly what the rule is for this, but more often than not, you will hear the announcement of "game 2 of our doubleheader except for those of you in new york..." Maybe we'll get 1/4 of the games.

Rich
Rich, I know you are probably out of range OTA wise where you are in NJ, but can you pick up any Connecticut OTA CBS? I'm happy that I can pick up Philly OTA CBS for JUST this type of reason!

:)
post #108 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
No. The only way to see every CBS HD game, which will be one per week, is via DirecTV Sunday Ticket.
Hi Ken,

OTA will still be in HD right? :confused:

Shankar
post #109 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by garydean
The Giants and Jets are sold out for AT LEAST the next 10 years I believe.

I was away on vacation when AVS revealed this news, but this sure takes the sting out of my vacation ending! It's nice to come home to news like this. Can't wait. I think CBS's HD college football games have been some of the best productions available so I'm confident their NFL broadcasts will stick to the same standards. Outstanding.
post #110 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe that the time of a CBS game can be a tip-off as to which is the premier game. I think that only one game (when CBS has the late game) is scheduled for 4:15 pm start (eastern time).

A 4:15 start (as opposed to a 4:00 start) means it is the CBS premier national game -- I'm 99% sure of that.

Thus, week 2 the HDTV telecast on CBS will likely be the Patriots vs. Eagles, as that is scheduled for 4:15.

Similarly, on October 26th, Jets v. Eagles is a 4:15 start. That should also be the CBS HDTV game.

I know these times, because I'm an Eagles season tix holder. So I will not be seeing these games via HDTV, unless you count the two giant HDTV video screens in the brand new Eagles' stadium (Lincoln Financial Field).

Any 4:15 game on CBS should be the HDTV game.
post #111 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Week 2 has three games starting at 4:15.

http://www.sportsline.com/u/cbs/schedule/nfl.htm
post #112 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
And all for just (4) easy payments of $49.95 for ST, plus $10.99 for ESPN-HD, no ABC-HD on DirecTV, CBS-HD 1 game/wk on DirecTV only if ST subscribed and not blacked out, $800 set top box, and only a 1 year commitment!

10 yard penalty - false start
Pass...incomplete
Punt
Then don't subscribe and quit complaining :rolleyes:

The price of the NFL-ST has nothing to do with the HD games. It would be the same price with no HD. Many of us subscribe to NFL-ST because we like football. Is it great that one of the games is HD this year? Of course. Would 99.9% of the NFL-ST subs still subscribe without the HD game? Of course.

Bottomline is the HD game is a bonus. Yes, DirecTV may sell a few more subs because of the HD game but it's not intended to be the driving force to selling more NFL-ST subs. Look at the other "enhancements" being offered this year. To the 99% of the subs that do not have HD they are far more interesting.
post #113 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Week 2 has three games starting at 4:15.

http://www.sportsline.com/u/cbs/schedule/nfl.htm

I see. It looks like the 4:15 start indicates that CBS has the doubleheader than weekend. As the weeks they have the 4:00 start, CBS does not have the doubleheader.

I guess that one of those 4:15 games will then be the HDTV game?
post #114 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb
Rich, I know you are probably out of range OTA wise where you are in NJ, but can you pick up any Connecticut OTA CBS? I'm happy that I can pick up Philly OTA CBS for JUST this type of reason!
You're right, those are both out of my range. I am, however, a Sunday Ticket subscriber, so I don't have any complaints, but I wanted to point out the problem for others that don't subscribe.
post #115 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:16 AM
RJS

"Bottomline is the HD game is a bonus. Yes, DirecTV may sell a few more subs because of the HD game but it's not intended to be the driving force to selling more NFL-ST subs. Look at the other "enhancements" being offered this year. To the 99% of the subs that do not have HD they are far more interesting."

To this point, one would think they D* would consider just adding the one game per week to the HD package we are already paying for. I do not get Sunday Ticket, and really dont think $200 per year just for the one HD game makes sense. The right move is to throw it into the HD $10.99 package as a "bonus" for the HD fan, not as a "bonus" to the Sunday Ticket subscriber, who may also have a HD set.
post #116 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

From the press release:

"The designation of the HD game will be determined on a week-to-week basis."

You probably can guess which games won't be the HD game (a Bengals vs. Lions game, if there was one), but I think anything beyond that is pure speculation, and will be based only on one's hopes that their team will be shown in HD.
post #117 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:36 AM
CMB

I have the NY feed WCBS from Dish network. Can you get both CBS-HD feeds from Dish? If not, would it be better to have the LA channel because it has no home team and might therefore show the national game more and NY has two teams and that station might blackout other games?
post #118 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I only hope that DirectTV's announcement will spur Comcast to add CBS. It sure worked when D* announced they were getting ESPNHD. Of course, CBS is much more attractive as their whole schedule is in HD.

Contratulations to D* subscribers

Rich N.
post #119 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinYee
Awesome! I've never subscribed to the NFL Sunday Ticket before, but DirecTV now has a new subscriber to their package. I just got done ordering the ST. I cancelled my HBO/Showtime options to help offset the cost of this. I decided to keep the HD 4 channel package for the time being. The guy helping me did say that more channels would be added to this package eventually. If I don't see more compelling content in a few months, though, I'll probably cancel that too.
Sunday night football will be in HD on ESPNHD...is that not compelling enough to keep the package? :)
post #120 of 311 Old 08-06-2003, 08:16 AM

Ignoring the new HD announcement, I have ALWAYS thought ST cost too much $$$...even though you 'could' watch all those games if you had multiple receivers, its not really feasible, so you would end up seeing 2 games per sunday, thats it. If I were a baseball fan, the baseball package makes more sense...about the same price, and you can physically watch a crap load of games, since there are so many on, and at different times. I wish so bad that they would have a ST package that would allow you to watch your favorite team only (since my team is not the 'local' team) I would pay $100 for that...and consider it worth it. As it is, while the HD CBS game is great, my team is the eagles, and they only have 2 CBS games this year, and its a crap shoot if they will be HD or not....so I will STILL not get ST (now if they add fox to this next year....thats another story!)
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page