Exclusive to AVS: CBS Sports & DirecTV join to present "The NFL On CBS" in HDTV! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
Geez...I have to link my Family Room picture in here again???

My Family Room

This news is gonna cause big trouble in my house...the wife insists that when the Dolphins play they always be on the big screen...I've already got a problem week 1 :eek:

I agree with your wife, the Dolphins should always be on the Big Screen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Benji
The answer is NO! The Pats are banged out for the season. When they are at home on a doubleheader day, WBZ can not broadcast the 2nd game. This would include WBZ-DT. You would be able to get this game on ST however.
Thanks for the clarification. Sunday ticket I think is out of the question (barely find time to watch just the Pats games, nevermind another dozen or so...).

Do you know if we get two games on FOX that day then?
post #183 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I don't think you'll get to do the comparison between OTA and D*. There are new blackout rules this season for Sunday ticket. Games shown in your local market on CBS and FOX will only be available OTA or cable! They will be blacked out on Sunday ticket. So you'll only see either the local HD feed, or, if your local station isn't showing that game, you'll get it on D*.
I don't think that's the case. I know the local blackout rules apply, but I only have 1 local team (houston) and timespots for 3 games. So if either of those other 2 games are the HD game of the week, then I'll be able to pick it up OTA (since it wouldn't be a local game).

Now granted it'll be rare that I get that HD game of the week given that they always play the Cowboys and Titans or Saints here as the other games, but there should be a few occasions that I'll see that HD game of the week OTA
post #184 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Thanks for the clarification. Sunday ticket I think is out of the question (barely find time to watch just the Pats games, nevermind another dozen or so...).

Do you know if we get two games on FOX that day then?
Same rule applies to FOX. If the Pats are home, and FOX has the doublehedder, WFXT can only show one of the games (I believe it is their choice). With all the HD Patriot games coming up I guess the Pats are now AMERICA'S TEAM!!!
post #185 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by JJaret
Unlikely, except for week 1, unless the Giants are on Sunday or Monday night. CBS can't air a game opposite FOX in NY when the Giants are on and CBS must show the Jets.
...which is exactly why Sunday Ticket is invaluable to me. I can't count the number of times that there was a big national game late in the season that virtually everybody in the country got to watch except for us. We'd get to watch the 3-11 Jets play the 4-10 Lions on that day. Lucky us!!!
post #186 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Will CBS be broadcasting the same game in HD over the air for those of us that do not suscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #187 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by ellisr63
Will CBS be broadcasting the same game in HD over the air for those of us that do not suscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket?
This question has been answered in the topic. It will only be available in HD in the same markets as the analog version of the game.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #188 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Family Room
wow, man. i thought i was bad. you're one crazy mother.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #189 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 12:22 PM

Well we're kind of screwed for ota in LA except for the first week. We always get stuck with the frigging San Diego games. Although in week 3, there is the San Franciso game. Will KCBS carry this or will it be Charger time again?
post #190 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More on The NFL on CBS in HDTV:

CBS is going to program to obtain the largest analog audience, and that is the basis on which games are assigned to local affiliates. Very rarely, when an affiliate could go either way on a game, other factors come into play. HD could be a factor when there is an option, but those occasions will be even more rare.

CBS is contractually bound to deliver games to the hometown and surrounding markets. So for example, in Pittsburgh or Baltimore there is no way the local station will air an HD game, if the Steelers or Ravens are on at the same time.

Putting the HD game on the digital channel when another game is on the analog is a violation of the NFL contract, so that will not happen. In addition, CBS is also now hearing from a number of viewers who enjoy watching the SD on the digital channel preferring that to the analog channel.

It's really quite simple, to get as many NFL HD games as possible, sub to NFL ST on DirecTV. If that's not an option, for whatever reason, you'll have to be content with what the local CBS DTV station offers.

post #191 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arobinson
I'm almost certain this is a KDKA-TV production, not CBS, and thus will not be available outside the Pittsburgh market. The CBS website has no mention of a national telecast that night, and the Steelers list the game as being on local TV only. Here's a guess: NEP in Pittsburgh has an HDTV truck, so KDKA might be using it.
Most pre-season games are be carried by local sources, and it'a quite possible KDKA is doing HDTV, but it would not be available anywhere except from them via OTA or local cable.

post #192 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

I was hoping for Steelers/Ravens also, I thought it would be New England/Buffalo, but San Diego and KC is bound to be a game with a ton of scoring (bet the over). And in the end, most people want scoring.

The steelers/ravens game will be the best game though, I'll take a 13-7 game over a 35-28 game anyday of the week.
post #193 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

But of course, you're from Baltimore so you just *may* have a slight bias. If the Ravens were the prolific offense might you be a bit more interested in scoring? ;)

Rick

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
Southern California & Elsewhere
Xbox Live: EnderWiggin21
post #194 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More on The NFL on CBS in HDTV:

CBS is going to juggle the NFL HD games around as the season progresses. It's always hard to predict which games will be the ones everyone wants to see, which is why they are offering the Sunday Ticket option, so viewers can be certain of seeing more HD.

If they laid out the entire primary game schedule right now, and a QB breaks his leg, or an underdog has a Cinderella season, they would be up the ratings creek without the proverbial paddle.

This is standard operating procedure for the two networks that have the Sunday day game NFL contracts. ABC has also been lobbying the NFL for a similar agreement for MNF, but due to the complexity of scheduling issues, it has not come to pass.

post #195 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 01:36 PM

bbodin,

I'm not saying that you won't be able to get the HD game OTA. But if it comes in OTA, Sunday ticket's feed will be blacked out for you. It will be that way for everybody. Whatever games are shown locally on your CBS and FOX affiliates, will be required to be blacked out on ST.

They're doing this to protect the broadcast rights of the local affiliates, who I'm sure lose many local eyeballs because people just watch the game on ST. It's more convenient when you can just flip the channel changer up and down and have all the games right next to each other.

Everything I said above may only apply to SD if they decide to not enforce the HD part of the blackout. I haven't seen anything definitive one way or the other.

DeanP66
post #196 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
But of course, you're from Baltimore so you just *may* have a slight bias. If the Ravens were the prolific offense might you be a bit more interested in scoring? ;)

Rick
maybe... I'll let you know by week 8.
post #197 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeanP66
bbodin,

I'm not saying that you won't be able to get the HD game OTA. But if it comes in OTA, Sunday ticket's feed will be blacked out for you. It will be that way for everybody. Whatever games are shown locally on your CBS and FOX affiliates, will be required to be blacked out on ST.

They're doing this to protect the broadcast rights of the local affiliates, who I'm sure lose many local eyeballs because people just watch the game on ST. It's more convenient when you can just flip the channel changer up and down and have all the games right next to each other.

Everything I said above may only apply to SD if they decide to not enforce the HD part of the blackout. I haven't seen anything definitive one way or the other.

DeanP66
I'm not sure this makes total sense to me - I live in the LA market where we have no NFL "local team"...so we get 3 games OTA every Sunday (plus the ESPN game)...are you saying that the if the game the local CBS station chooses to air just so happens to be the HD game, it will only be available in HD via OTA - and not via D* ST?
post #198 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Angel
I'm not sure this makes total sense to me - I live in the LA market where we have no NFL "local team"...so we get 3 games OTA every Sunday (plus the ESPN game)...are you saying that the if the game the local CBS station chooses to air just so happens to be the HD game, it will only be available in HD via OTA - and not via D* ST?
I'm thinking (read: hoping) it'll be available on both.

I just hope they don't default to the Raiders and/or Chargers game every week. I don't remember them doing that last season.

Rick

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
post #199 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:30 PM

But you understand my point...

Besides, what Raider fans in LA or SD even HAVE an HDTV, let alone know what HD is? ;)
post #200 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The directv site makes it pretty clear that games shown locally will be blacked out from ST. I'm sure this applies to each game, regardless of HD or SD.

A quote:

"NFL SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢ consists of Sunday games broadcast on FOX and CBS at 1 pm and 4 pm EST. However, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS station may not be available on NFL SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢. Tune to your local FOX or CBS station to view these games."

http://www.directvsports.com/Subscri...LSundayTicket/

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
post #201 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

"may not be available."

Last season in LA they were on both ST and on our locals. If they changed the rules, so be it. But if it's essentially the same rule as last season, then I will assume it'll be available on both until I see otherwise on opening day.

Either way I'm not worried, CBS OTA is the station I receive best, and is likely to have better PQ anyway. Now if our FOX OTA would just up its output power.....

Rick

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
post #202 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 PM

That BLOWS if it's true - the text however says "may" and not "will"...hopefully this only applies to markets with NFL teams. Looks like I better get back on my roof to put up an OTA antenna soon.
post #203 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 PM

The HD version will only be blacked out on the Sunday Ticket channel if the game is not sold out and you live within the blackout zone for the team. This is the quote from the press release:

Quote:
The HD games will be regionalized on the CBS Television Network, but on NFL SUNDAY TICKET will be subject to the NFL's hometown blackout rule only when the hometown stadium is not sold out
The SD version of the same game on Sunday Ticket may still be blacked out if your local affiliate is showing the game, thanks to a possible new rule this year, but no one really knows exactly how these SD blackouts will be implemented yet, and won't know until week 1.
post #204 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 02:40 PM

All I know is that operators better be standing by for my call if any HD game on ST is blacked out in the LA market.
post #205 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
Geez...I have to link my Family Room picture in here again???

My Family Room

This news is gonna cause big trouble in my house...the wife insists that when the Dolphins play they always be on the big screen...I've already got a problem week 1 :eek:
I am glad I am not the only multi-game junkie. Here is my setup: http://www.poorang.net/ht/

Redskins and UCLA always get the main screen.
post #206 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 04:16 PM

pmohajer - that is sweet! As a fellow Skins (and Terps) fan, be glad I don't know where you live! I can only imagine how many antennas and RG6 you've got working behind the scenes...What is the WAF meter reading on that setup?
post #207 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is standard operating procedure for the two networks that have the Sunday day game NFL contracts. ABC has also been lobbying the NFL for a similar agreement for MNF, but due to the complexity of scheduling issues, it has not come to pass.
Thanks Ken - I was wondering what happened with MNF and this. I know like two years ago they were all talking like this was a done deal, but there were still wash games at the end of last season so been curious about that
post #208 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More on The NFL on CBS & DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket in HDTV:

There are different blackout rules for analog & HDTV games. As noted by others, the local analog game will be blacked out in that market on NFL ST SD, so local affiliates can maximize ratings for those games.

The only time NFL ST in HDTV will be blacked out is if there is not a local sellout.

post #209 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 PM

Then let the OTA and D* HD comparisons begin!!!!

DeanP66
post #210 of 311 Old 08-07-2003, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeanP66
Then let the OTA and D* HD comparisons begin!!!!
Yes indeed, just what I like, a sure fire way to keep everything on the up & up.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page