Exclusive to AVS: CBS Sports & DirecTV join to present "The NFL On CBS" in HDTV! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
August 5, 2003

CBS SPORTS AND DIRECTV JOIN TO PRESENT "THE NFL ON CBS" IN HDTV

Primary Game Each Week of 2003-04 Season To Be Broadcast In Highest Definition Television Format; HD Games Also Will Be Available on DIRECTV's Exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET Package

NEW YORK and El SEGUNDO, CA, August 5, 2003

CBS Sports and DIRECTV, Inc. will join to present CBS's primary game each week of the 17-week 2003 NFL ON CBS regular-season schedule in high definition television live on the CBS Television Network. The announcement was made today by Sean McManus, President, CBS Sports and Roxanne Austin, President & COO, DIRECTV, Inc.

THE NFL ON CBS's primary game broadcast in digital television's highest definition format, 1080i, also will be made available to subscribers of DIRECTV's exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET package throughout the 17-week regular-season schedule. Both over the air and DIRECTV customers must have appropriate HD-enabled equipment to be able to view the games. The HD games will be regionalized on the CBS Television Network, but on NFL SUNDAY TICKET will be subject to the NFL's hometown blackout rule only when the hometown stadium is not sold out. The designation of the HD game will be determined on a week-to-week basis. These games are being offered as part of a five-year agreement with the National Football League for exclusive rights to NFL SUNDAY TICKET. The agreement between CBS and DIRECTV is for the 2003 regular-season only and will be evaluated for renewal after the 2003 season.

The unified productions for the Standard Definition and HD telecasts will feature the same game announcers, camera angles, replays and graphics. Each HD game also will be broadcast in 5.1 digital dolby surround sound. Coupled with the clarity of 1080 lines of picture resolution, the HD broadcast will bring the stadium experience to the viewers' home.

"There is no better sports property than the NFL to showcase what HDTV can mean for viewers," said McManus. "CBS is the undisputed leader in HDTV programming, and we are proud to partner with DIRECTV in furthering our commitment to something that is making sports programming more enjoyable everyday."

"Avid football fans turn to DIRECTV for the most comprehensive football coverage every Sunday during the regular season, and our agreement with CBS to offer NFL games in HDTV for the first time makes our exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET package even more appealing," said Austin. "Only DIRECTV has NFL SUNDAY TICKET and only DIRECTV will offer NFL games in HDTV nationwide. Try as it might, cable just can't match us."

CBS Sports was the first ever to broadcast a professional football game in high definition format on Sunday, November 8, 1998 when the historic broadcast featured the AFC East Division co-leaders, Buffalo Bills against the New York Jets live on the CBS Television Network. The game was the first of four high definition games presented by CBS Sports during the 1998 season. The initial game, which served as a test of CBS's HDTV capabilities, was transmitted in high definition only from WCBS-TV New York. The three subsequent high definition match ups were transmitted nationally to all CBS Owned stations and affiliates with digital capability. The live HDTV telecasts were produced and transmitted independent of the regularly scheduled CBS Sports National Football League coverage that was broadcast on the traditional analog network. CBS also had an agreement with DIRECTV to give these games national distribution in HD.

CBS Sports kicks off its 44th season broadcasting the NFL, highlighted by Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston, on Sunday, Sept. 7 (12:00 Noon) with THE NFL TODAY, the Network's pre-game studio show, followed by a full slate of seven games in Week 1.

This fall, CBS will begin its fifth year of presenting the majority of its primetime lineup in high definition. In June 2001, CBS became the first to broadcast HD in Daytime when it commenced daily weekday HD broadcasts of television's leading daytime drama "The Young and the Restless." CBS is also the leader in HD sports broadcasts. For the last four years, CBS also has produced the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four and Championship Games in HD, as well as The Masters(r) Golf tournament in HDTV and the U.S. Open Tennis Championships in HDTV. CBS also broadcast the 2001 Super Bowl and all of the 2003 AFC Playoffs in HDTV. Last season CBS concluded its second season of HD broadcasts of the SEC Game of the Week. CBS broadcasts, on average, 25 hours per week of High Definition programming, more than any other broadcast network, and more original HD programming per week than any other network, broadcast or cable or satellite. One hundred and forty-two of CBS's owned and affiliated stations are currently broadcasting in digital, covering approximately 90 percent of the nation and by the end of the year will reach 95 percent.

Last month DIRECTV launched a new high-definition programming package for $10.99 per month that includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater(tm), HDNet and HDNet Movies. DIRECTV also offers HBO(r) HDTV and SHOWTIME HDTV(r) as part of their premium packages, as well as HD PPV movies for $4.99 each. To access HDTV channels, consumers may purchase a DIRECTV-enabled high-definition set-top receiver, and a single 18 x 20- or 18 x 24-inch multi-satellite dish with three LNBs. DIRECTV-enabled HD receivers and triple-LNB satellite dishes are available from authorized DIRECTV retailers nationwide.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading digital satellite television service provider with more than 11.5 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of Hughes Electronics Corporation. HUGHES is the world's leading provider of digital television entertainment, broadband services, satellite-based private business networks, and global video and data broadcasting. The earnings of HUGHES, a unit of General Motors Corporation, are used to calculate the earnings attributable to the General Motors Class H common stock (NYSE: GMH). Visit DIRECTV on the World Wide Web at DIRECTV.com.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Sweet. Way to go CBS.

Class act.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #3 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:15 AM

WaHoo!!!! Really looking forward to this!
post #4 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:18 AM

Nice scoop AVS!!!!

Glad to hear that CBS is going to offer games in HD.....now if only i can convince my landlord to let me put a dish up!!

Paul
post #5 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:18 AM
GRC

I am rarely moved, but this has me jumping for joy. Also notice that CBS has now announced HD for its primetime as well. Class act indeed !!
post #6 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
"There is no better sports property than the NFL to showcase what HDTV can mean for viewers," said McManus
This is incorrect. Nascar is the best sports property to showcase HDTV. Only Fox and NBC are too stupid to realize it.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #7 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Outstanding!!! The only missing piece now is the college anouncement which I am sure will be forth comming.
post #8 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

EXCELLENT !

Mike
post #9 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:24 AM

I take it I now NEED to get that Sat. C kit, huh?
post #10 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:45 AM

i like how D* waited till after the comcast announcement of the carriage of espn. and the chess game continues....

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.
post #11 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:52 AM

Beer, Brats & HD Football, Dear God don't take me now!
post #12 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

AWSOME - Nice again AVS - thanks for the great job

I would say D* didn't wait they have kind of promised this for a while - CBS waited - why we don't know, but maybe they hoped for additional sponsor.

Penone - legal right to put it up discussed all over the place - FCC guidelines etc search the forum for a minute

Sweet - now all I need is a TW and ESPN-HD deal and I am set
post #13 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 11:59 AM

This is why I never want LA to get another football team again - so I can see ALL the CBS HD games - no blackouts!
post #14 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:02 PM

This should of been EXPECTED. If it was anything less there should of been a revolt.

I hate to pi$$ in everyone's pool here, but CBS typically does broadcast games in both the 10AM PST and 1PM PST timeslot. They call it a double-header :) Looks like we only get one HD game a week on CBS. Sorry to be so negative, but there's no reason for why they can't be doing at least 2 games a week.
post #15 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:04 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!! However I would like a little clarification. Does this mean that there will be just one per Sunday or will there be one at 1:00 PM and one at 4:00 PM. Great news regardless, but even better if there is one primary game per time-slot.

Way to go!!
Rick
post #16 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The HD games will be regionalized on the CBS Television Network, but on NFL SUNDAY TICKET will be subject to the NFL's hometown blackout rule only when the hometown stadium is not sold out.
Question: So if my CBS affiliate does not pick the game that offered in HD and SD at the same time I can't see it locally? The only way to see every game in HD is to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket?
post #17 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that the other game will be a college game on Saturday which is fine by me. Don't forget we also get the Sunday night game in HD
post #18 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefSooner
The only way to see every game in HD is to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket?
Correct.

post #19 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
Outstanding!!! The only missing piece now is the college anouncement which I am sure will be forth comming.
c-o-m-i-n-g
post #20 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:09 PM

Ken,
Clarification? If we subscribe to ST all games will be HD?
Rick
post #21 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick W
GREAT NEWS!!!! However I would like a little clarification. Does this mean that there will be just one per Sunday or will there be one at 1:00 PM and one at 4:00 PM. Great news regardless, but even better if there is one primary game per time-slot.
CBS considers one game per week to be the primary one, so I read the press release as one HD game per week.

post #22 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick W
Ken,
Clarification? If we subscribe to ST all games will be HD?
Rick
No. The only way to see every CBS HD game, which will be one per week, is via DirecTV Sunday Ticket.

post #23 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:13 PM

Still GREAT NEWS!
Rick
post #24 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
CycloneGT, that's your opinion. I'd personally rate football and nba before anything. Nascar would rate below the weather channel, lifetime, and local highschool networks for me. ;)

This is great news. Makes me get nervous enough about Comcast to look into a ota tuner now. I'm curious, previously I've heard people speculate of 2 HD games from CBS. The press release states only the premier game. Is there still a chance for a second gamer every week or even ever few weeks? Also, what about local stadiums that could do HD on their own. Would CBS take advantage of this in those markets when showing that teams games?

edit: never mind about the question regarding a second HD game. Slow poster me is. :p
post #25 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI, the CBS premier game each week can be identified as the one with Greg Gumbel & Phil Simms calling the action, and Armen Keteyian reporting.

post #26 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

YES! Thanks CBS and thanks to Ken for the news.
post #27 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

CBS has the Cowboys/Dolphins on Thanksgiving.

I hope they do that one too!

I'm so greedy!
post #28 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:29 PM

Next year will have foxs games in HD too.
post #29 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI, pre-season will not be included and post-season will be addressed in the future.

post #30 of 311 Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chicago
Next year will have foxs games in HD too.
This remains to be seen.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page