CU vs. CSU on ESPN-HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PQ looks better than Thursday nights game, but still not as good as the HDNet earlier today.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the PQ is "different" than that of HD Net. I think the white's are not as hot and the black level is higher. So, the picture tends to not be quite as "WOW". Although, it is probably more "realistic" PQ than the HD Net coverage. Does anyone else agree?
post #3 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

HDnet color is much more saturated than ESPN/ABC. I always have to turn the color up after an event on HDnet. The clarity though looks very good and on par with the HDnet game in this neck of the woods.
post #4 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
HDnet color is much more saturated than ESPN/ABC. I always have to turn the color up after an event on HDnet. The clarity though looks very good and on par with the HDnet game in this neck of the woods.
I would agree that the color on HDNet looks cranked up! Maybe HDnet's slightly sharper than ESPN.
Mike
post #5 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The PQ is fantastic on my new Hitachi. I don't have artifacts, bleeding whites, pixellation, or anything else. If anyone does, please have your equipment checked out. I'm ecstatic with HD football.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

I find that HDNet live sports generally look a little softer than their taped stuff like concerts. The CU/CSU game looks a little sharper to me. That is surprising because with ESPNHD my tuner has to convert the 720p to 1080i. Each person's display/tuner combination may make a difference.

ESPN is contracting with companies that had trucks built this year while HDNet trucks are a couple of years old. Maybe that makes a difference.

Roy
post #7 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps that's the case; however, I have adjusted my SM settings to where they "look" as close to the same as possible and the Contrast goes up about 7 notches and the brightness goes down about 20 notches. I used the test patterns on HD Net to set the White/Black levels and the color. The color looks not quite as saturated, but I think the color is too saturated for the HD Net sports anyway. It tends to begin looking unrealistic...the yellow is way too hot.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:52 PM

Given different lighting conditions at the event and in my home and the fact that I couldn't view them side-by-side, it looks like a push.

I passed over many of the higher profile SD games to watch the HD offerings. Any SD games will be watched on the 20 inch tube from now on.

For lucky best wash - use Mr. Sparkle.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this ESPN game looks pretty damned goof to me from what I've seen in the last few minutes.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Think this ESPN game is the best so far, though I've only watched about 10 minutes. A lot sharper and less grain than the HDNet game earlier.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #11 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Given different lighting conditions at the event and in my home and the fact that I couldn't view them side-by-side, it looks like a push.
That's basically what I'm saying. The game tonight looks absolutely great.
post #12 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 07:07 PM

Seems to improve as it gets late and the stadium lights came on. I think the night games under lights are usually better, it's evenly lit and easy for the cameras. The daylight games, especially when half the stadium is in the shade, are much more difficult.
post #13 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone see that problem with the corner SD camera?

it's right at the corner of an endzone... and anything white has a very big dark opaque yellow halo around it. It's the only camera to have it.

Go Broncos!
post #14 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
For a minute there, when I tuned in about an hour ago I was pleased to see there was no ticker.....then the damn crawl came back on and has STAYED on.

Sure hope they don't plan on utilizing this for EVERY College game in HD, or the Sunday night NFL game for that matter.

I don't ever remember that crawl being a constant on the regular ESPN during college games before this year.

Smart.....:mad:
post #15 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Looks great here! Much better than the Thursday game. I'm sure a state of the art stadium helps.
post #16 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 07:56 PM

Agree that this is best ESPN HD football I've seen yet. Quite seamless HD. (and a great game.)

ESPN deserves well earned praise for high quality picture under multiple difficult circumstances (lights and rain).

Glad to say I'm impressed.

Mark
post #17 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed the yellow halo.
post #18 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb
For a minute there, when I tuned in about an hour ago I was pleased to see there was no ticker.....then the damn crawl came back on and has STAYED on.

Sure hope they don't plan on utilizing this for EVERY College game in HD, or the Sunday night NFL game for that matter.

I don't ever remember that crawl being a constant on the regular ESPN during college games before this year.

Smart.....:mad:
Yes the crawl must go. I have seen it on the last three ESPN HD games and it stayed on! First it was the stretched SD, now this.
post #19 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
how about them having that hdtv outside in the rain???? :eek: i almost cried for the poor thing. ;)

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #20 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

There is nothing sweeter than watching your alma mater hold off a rival in HD! :D Going back to SD Colorado games is going to be tough.

After watching for a while, it is really a shock when the intersperse SD clips from other games.
post #21 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That was a really good segment of the show where people heard it from the sports experts. "It gives you a larger field of view" (and something about clarity along with one of the guys talking about going out to buy his HDTV this weekend). Maybe some people will start understanding why 16:9/HDTV is so much better. and put analog in it's grave where it belongs.

Great game, but how bout that hit in the Tennesee game? WOW!
post #22 of 30 Old 08-31-2003, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb
Now, I don't know if this is what ESPN is doing or not, but here's an observation I've noticed about the crawl.

Most times the crawl comes on at 28 and 58 past the hour right? But during games - primarily college football games - when another network is airing the same thing, I've noticed that the crawl stays on for very extended periods of time, sometimes even the entire game as was the case last night. If you'll remember last night, ABC was showing Ohio St.-Washington and CBS had Auburn-USC (in the Northeast anyway). I think by keeping the crawl active throughout the game that ESPN is hoping you won't switch to another network especially considering how lopsided the other games were.

Then again, I've noticed in the past that some college scores are omitted from the crawl when playing on other networks, especially if the opposing games are close, entertaining battles. Shady, but true.

As for last night's game, that was the most entertaining HD college game I've seen to date. That TD catch from Hackett in the second quarter at the goal line? Come on. How does one concentrate that much, get hammered and somehow manage to stay on their feet and score. That was an incredible catch. And somebody please give that Klatt kid a scholarship.
post #23 of 30 Old 08-31-2003, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Seems to improve as it gets late and the stadium lights came on. I think the night games under lights are usually better, it's evenly lit and easy for the cameras. The daylight games, especially when half the stadium is in the shade, are much more difficult.
I completely agree. I too was blasted by the white hot whites on the HDNet game, but still loved its PQ. I love composed-for-16x9 stuff.

The ESPN-HD game looked better to me though, but that might only be because of lighting differences and the fact that I have a native 720p set.

It seems as though any given PQ for any format can be at any extreme on any given day, just as any team can beat any other team on any given day. :)

Quote:
Anyone see that problem with the corner SD camera?
Yeah, I don't like 'em either. But *anything* beats that nasty behind-the-QB-cam that FOX has been using. Yuck. Looks like 320x240-vision.

Rick

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
Southern California & Elsewhere
Xbox Live: EnderWiggin21
post #24 of 30 Old 08-31-2003, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Now, I don't know if this is what ESPN is doing or not, but here's an observation I've noticed about the crawl.

Most times the crawl comes on at 28 and 58 past the hour right? But during games - primarily college football games - when another network is airing the same thing, I've noticed that the crawl stays on for very extended periods of time, sometimes even the entire game as was the case last night. If you'll remember last night, ABC was showing Ohio St.-Washington and CBS had Auburn-USC (in the Northeast anyway). I think by keeping the crawl active throughout the game that ESPN is hoping you won't switch to another network especially considering how lopsided the other games were.

Then again, I've noticed in the past that some college scores are omitted from the crawl when playing on other networks, especially if the opposing games are close, entertaining battles. Shady, but true.

As for last night's game, that was the most entertaining HD college game I've seen to date. That TD catch from Hackett in the second quarter at the goal line? Come on. How does one concentrate that much, get hammered and somehow manage to stay on their feet and score. That was an incredible catch. And somebody please give that Klatt kid a scholarship.
Definently sounds like a very possible explanation. They do what they need to try and keep viewers... and this definently sounds like it would do just that in theory.

Go Broncos!
post #25 of 30 Old 08-31-2003, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

I agree, the crawler has got to go.

I switch back and forth regardless of the crawler giving me updates so they might as well dump it;) It was much easier on the eyes watching the OSU/Washington game without the crawler (aside from the fact it was SD).
post #26 of 30 Old 08-31-2003, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is sinister! Me thinks an FBI investigation is warranted.:D
post #27 of 30 Old 09-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

PQ was pretty good. The crawl/ticker has got to go. I don't mind the twice an hour update, but any permanant ticker on an HD broadcast is a crime againt HD.

Here's the email address for ESPN TV comments.

http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

I've sent two polite emails about this and I'll keep on sending them after every HD game with a permanant ticker.

BTW, the permanant crawl seems to be specific to ESPN HD college football games.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #28 of 30 Old 09-01-2003, 02:05 PM

Bring on the "hot whites" and the "oversaturated color", I want "WOW", reality plus. After switching back and forth several times, I'll take HD-NET over ESPN on this one.

On my WS-65711, from 9 feet , some friends and I were enthralled, and in agreement about this HD-NET production. As for "grain" something I seldom see since I reduced sharpness to "0".

Reality, we don't need no stinking reality. Hell if I wanted reality, I would watch "In the Bedroom", instead of "The Matrix", over and over (or even once).

This month's new word. The Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly .
post #29 of 30 Old 09-01-2003, 11:11 PM

I get the impression that many people who saw the game last Sat. are not regular ESPN College Football watchers.

For about three years, ESPN has broadcast all their college football games with a constant College Football "bottom line".

Anyway, only College Scores are shown on the "line". Actually, as a football fan, I find the line very useful. It's good to know how the other games are going, especially since I won't have Gameplan to watch these games myself. There are just too many games to put onto a 28/58 update. And to add baseball and basketball scores also? No one would know how their favorite college team did.

Still, I can understand why many of you find it apalling, and I don't mind anyone complaining to ESPN about it.

Oh, and finally, you won't have to worry about that line showing up (other than 28/58) during NFL games.

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #30 of 30 Old 09-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

dmedina,

You points are valid, but let me add.

My message to ESPN included the following "get the ticker off of the HD channel, if I want to see it I'll switch to the same game on SD ESPN."

And I know that they haven't done it on the NFL - yet. My concerns are also preventive in nature.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page