VOOM Opening Day - Press Release, Press Conference Link, Sears, etc. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 281 Old 11-02-2003, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Actually D* has also announced a box like that but with even more enhanced capabilities.
Ken - I am sure this has been posted somewhere here, but can't find it. Question - When is D* coming out with a "921" type box or any type of box that can record HDTV? What is the model no.? I will upgrade our D* to HDTV when that happens. If it is still in the distant future - may switch to DISH if the 921 really does come out. (Been w. D* for over 6 years.)
Will upgrade BEV from the 6000 box to the 921 since that is the only way we can get network HD.

Thanks.

...mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 281 Old 11-02-2003, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The upcoming HD DirecTV DVR with TiVo (HD TiVo for short) is described and discussed at length in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=298628

Dave
post #273 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Ken,

On the subject of the HD cable roll out in St. Louis: I can only offer a prejudiced viewpoint and one only gleaned from the reports from others. I have long regarded Charter as an example of an uncaring, poorly run monopoly. I am a biased source. It seems as if the results have been mixed. Few stations are offered. Installers show up mostly on time with those annoying instances of people being completely stood up. Delays in equipment availability have been reported but are not intolerable. Training of the installers seems to belong to the Best Buy school of inadequate preparation. People seem to report good quality of the Hd signal. For those who have had difficulty with OTA reception the cable comes as a great relief. For those of us who have great OTA reception......

Does anyone know the orbital slot for the Voom satellite? Art
post #274 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have heard it is 61.5, but I am not positive I am remembering that correctly.

The grapes are free!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #275 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I am ignorant in these things but that doesn't sound right. 101, 110,119, numbers in that neighborhood I would guess. Maybe this one does sit off by itself. This may be a problem for me... Art
post #276 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

61.5° is correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #277 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 AM

I went to the Sears store in Fairfield, CA to view the VOOM service and do a bit of research. As in many other posts, what I found was disappointing: All of the HD capable units save one were tuned to Dish; The one with the VOOM promo stuff on it was not on; when I asked that it be turned on they did it, but only got an SD view of the VOOM main menu. I asked to see some of the VOOM programming, but got into a circular discussion that went like this: Can I see one of the VOOM channels? Reply: We only have a demo loop. Well wouldn't it make sense to be able to actually view the service? Reply: Gee... we really only have the demo loop. Is there any way at all I could actually see what VOOM looks like? Reply: I'll see if I can tune something in. So he proceeded to select the HD choice on the menu and I stood there (while the salesperson disappeared) for 10 minutes or so watching a message that said 'loading from satellite' or something like that. He came back and puzzled over this situation, and I left.

If this is how they are marketing it, how good can the actual service be? Very confusing, annoying, frustrating....

R
post #278 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I am unaware of any Sears stores in the San Francisco Bay Area with a properly operating VOOM display.

I would venture a guess that VOOM has probably sold fewer than a dozen packages total in the S.F. Bay Area despite having launched 3 weeks ago. This in the fifth largest market in the nation.

Very poor marketing. But maybe they are focusing efforts on the East Coast.

post #279 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Hobe Sound, Florida (about 20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Also per the postings in this and related threads, I just got back from a quick stop at Sears. This is actually my third time examining Voom, and I can see meaningful and positive change. The Sears personnel did not even approach me while I stood there for some time playing with the system. Don't count on them for much help. Their employer paid some big bucks for the exclusive launch rights; apparently, that left no money for employee training. Last time, I felt like I was training them.

Taking the remote in hand, I started checking things out. Yes, since opening day there is marked improvement in speed of the guide. Unlike the past 2 times, I could not create one "lock up" event. And, instead of most channels defaulting to the "demo loop", now most channels have a pop-up box that advises me to call VOOM to activate the channel.

Several channels are active. I suspect most people stop checking after hitting the channel button a few times. The 10 HD movie channels are not active, and they are the first channels you flip through via the channel button (after the weather channel at 100). Just enter 111 to bypass these and start clicking the channel button. Programming will appear (but I got to tell you, that must be one freakin' long soccer game).

Still no SD channels would appear on the TV. And still only about 7-8 actually active channels show up at whatever level of approval the Sears demo units hold. The demo channel is now appearing formally down in the sub-100 (local) channel guide. One thing I notice there is that all active local DTV channels are not showing up in the guide. They do need to add "local scan" or equivalent rather than just choosing for customers what channels should show up.

While I still have not laid my own money down for this, I am seeing rapid progress with each visit. I am looking forward to a few real reviews from people with it in their homes (on their tuned systems).
post #280 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess Voom uses Rainbow1 at 61.5. I am not sure I get much of a look at that spot in the sky. Big trees in the south east. Damn, I wish this was a self-install and I could play with it for a while. I really don't want the installer running any cable. I just want him to point the dish and connect the coax.

The stuttering development of Voom does not surprise me given their need to be on the air or lose their rights. Art
post #281 of 281 Old 11-03-2003, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally posted by HobeSoundDarryl
Just enter 111 to bypass these and start clicking the channel button. Programming will appear (but I got to tell you, that must be one freakin' long soccer game).

Now THAT'S funny!!! I bet that's the Spain vs somebody game, right? I think that's one of two games they show!

I agree with you though, there's been considerable progress in a relatively short period of time. Who knows, by the time we get our installations, the soccer game may be over!
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page