NFL HD show-- How? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-28-2003, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking, but how can the new NFL network broadcast scenes from the game of the week in HD? Here's what I'm thinking: If the show is done in standard def (maybe it's done in HD) then when they show those HD clips, those people with standard (non HD) tuners wouldn't recognize the signal-- right? Or will they show the HD game of the week in SD clips? Or will there be a flag in the broadcast signal telling HD tuners to map to a different channel to receive the HD feeds and broadcast the show in SD on the standard NFL network channel? I don't see how they can show HD and have the channels signal be recognize by the majority of the viewing public who don't have HD tuners. Please tell me what you believe will be the answer.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-28-2003, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

HD game of the week, a one hour broadcast, will show up on a separate channel from the 24/7 NFL Network channel which is SD.

DirectTV probably has several options for this.

I don't think Dish has announced it will carry NFL Network-- please correct me if I'm wrong.

A cable provider with InHD/InHD2 (if any are carrying NFL Network), could pre-empt the regular InHD2 programming and put the NFL show on there (I think), since this can be done with regional HD sporting events.

I don't know what a cable provider without InHD2 would do, other than create a special channel just for the NFL HD show (and any other special HD events, like the NBA HD games, Masters golf, US Open Tennis, etc.)

NFL Network has an uphill road getting carried on cable. With the NFL giving exclusive Sunday Ticket rights to D*, cable providers probably won't carry it until they have some contractual commitment that, when D*'s current exclusivity right expires, the NFL will not enter into any further exclusivity agreements.

Maybe if NFL offered this network for free (no per subscriber fee) it might get carried on a significant number of cable systems, but barring that I would be surprised if any major cable operators carried it before Fall 2004.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-28-2003, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by miller344
[B Please tell me what you believe will be the answer.[/b]
The HD version will be on a different channel.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2003, 09:31 AM
CMB

Does anybody know? Ken, Scott, or whomever. Could Dish carry this HD show along with the HD NBA games on their special events channel? What do you think?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-29-2003, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by CMB
Does anybody know? Ken, Scott, or whomever. Could Dish carry this HD show along with the HD NBA games on their special events channel? What do you think?
There has been no announcement, so until a deal is signed, I don't think it will be on Dish.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page