Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1284 Old 11-02-2003, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ABC and InHD have been inconsistent in how they present large aspect ratio movies. Uncropped large-aspect-ratio movies are almost non-existent on HBO. It would be very helpful to have a thread on this forum for reports of uncropped, large OAR movies on these three networks.

I'll start by reporting that InHD and InHD2 appear to be showing the 1960 version of Ocean's Eleven in its OAR of 2.35:1.

Also, although only 1.37:1, House of Wax is being shown uncropped and unstretched on InHD. Unfortunately, I don't have 3-D glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1284 Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I haven't watched the movie itself yet (has it even been on?), but the other day INHD ran a 2.35:1 trailer for Year of the Dragon, that I assume was made from their HD master.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 1284 Old 11-02-2003, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Year of the Dragon is in 2.35 on INHD (atleast the 2 minutes I watched of it).
post #4 of 1284 Old 11-03-2003, 03:40 AM
PVR

HDnet Movies and InHD seem to share a fair number of titles.
HDnet Movies is also OAR basically all the time.
They probably get their films from the same sources.
post #5 of 1284 Old 11-03-2003, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Or care enough to show the movies the way they were ment to be seen. HBO IMHO is walking on thin ice as they continue crop their movies.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #6 of 1284 Old 11-03-2003, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Originally posted by Thebarnman
Or care enough to show the movies the way they were ment to be seen. HBO IMHO is walking on thin ice as they continue crop their movies.

Saddly ... probably not ... once more and more Joe6Packs buy into HD, OAR may become an endangered species. Joe6Pack has historically wanted every inch of his TV screen filled and there's no reason to believe this will change in the future.

HDC
post #7 of 1284 Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah? The dominant wish of the entertainment leagues is to create high margin business. The quality people are usually the ones with the cash to afford the margins, and I bet most of the quality movie lovers are the ones who will reject HBO cropping as more of them discover the joys of HD.

Darius
post #8 of 1284 Old 11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by shah8
Oh yeah? The dominant wish of the entertainment leagues is to create high margin business. The quality people are usually the ones with the cash to afford the margins, and I bet most of the quality movie lovers are the ones who will reject HBO cropping as more of them discover the joys of HD.

Darius

You've got the right idea, but the wrong demographic. J6Ps drive the cable TV margins, not movie lovers. Movie lovers will buy their movies, in OAR and the best possible quality (DVD, D-VHS, HD-DVD etc.).

I watch HBO-HD last nigh at a friend's on D*. The compression and oversaturation of the color (I have calibrated this set) was horrendous. HBO is definitely NOT a movie lover's channel.
post #9 of 1284 Old 11-03-2003, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I know it's a bad day for movie lovers when I walked into the local Walmart to pick up the new Matrix release and they had a HUGE display set up at the front of the store with every one of them Full screened P&S. And in the video area, it was no better with dozens more P&S. I finally found but a handfull of widescreen discs after searching a good 15 minutes.

I've also seen a fare number of individuals specifically asking for the Full screen version in CC, not wanting to make the mistake again of getting "ripped-off" with a dinky widescreen version. They don'y really care if they're chopped amd maimed, especially if they can't see it on their 20-27" ntsc set.

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #10 of 1284 Old 11-18-2003, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Star Trek V is on HBO this month in 2.35:1. Yeh, I know it's not a good movie.
post #11 of 1284 Old 11-18-2003, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't say nottin' about general J6P. Said that media companies don't really *want* J6P. They want movie lovers, and while HBO is for the full screeners...(you know, it's amazing, I was rooting for widescreen ever since I was like 15 years old...I got the point then, with teeny tvs, how come so few others do?) if they wanna do HD DVD, and make these expensive players and expensive disks/tapes, for extra quality that J6P prolly does not care about...

I don't think so. They wanna charge a high price, they gotta steepen that demand curve, and the only way to do that, is to appeal to wealthy movie nuts.

Darius
post #12 of 1284 Old 11-18-2003, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

They create markets with early adopters, then they go for Joe Six-pack.

Within a few years of their introduction, HD-DVD players will be under $100 and the discs under $20, same as DVDs are now.

Blu Loyal, HD Flexible
22 Blu, 10 Red + Heroes + Smallville Season 6
post #13 of 1284 Old 11-18-2003, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

What I was saying, was that the media companies, and some of the electronic companies wants to *avoid* this event happening, and gatekeeping via expensive patents and regulations like DRM requirements are some of the means of doing this. Part of this general feeling of exclusiveness, aside from price, is the "eliteness" of having OAR for People who have the "big" screens. J6P dirt can have the abomination of full screen.

Darius
post #14 of 1284 Old 01-10-2004, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

"Big" News .

InHD and InHD2 are showing the movie Big Wednesday in 2.35:1 OAR this month.
post #15 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HBO is showing Dead Presidents in 2.35:1 OAR this month.

I'm checking 2.35:1 movies on HBO and Cinemax that are older than 1999 to see if they are telecast in OAR. Others that I'll check later this month are The Client and Alaska.
post #16 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Saddly ... probably not ... once more and more Joe6Packs buy into HD, OAR may become an endangered species. Joe6Pack has historically wanted every inch of his TV screen filled and there's no reason to believe this will change in the future.

HDC

The problem is in order for us to get more HD programming, more HD sets need to be sold. I think you can see where this is going. ANd with 47-50" HD RPTV available at say 1500 bucks, Joe6Packs walking into Best buy for a new 36" flat tube and stand notices he can get 47 inches of HD for not much more money. Which is in effect what we need to grow. Ask ESPN, ask your local network affiliates what it will take to get more HD programming. They will tell you... more HD sets.

SO lets not knock joe just yet, maybe once he gets that 50 incher in the house he might just like OAR. But without him buying that set we are not going to grow in HD programming.
post #17 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged

HDC

I dont know if I'm what you call Joe6Pack but I do know I like to see my TV filled up. I'm so sick and tired of hearing "the way the director wants you to watch it" I dont give a damn about some idiot director or how he wants me to watch something. There's nothing of any importance going on in that 10% (diff. between 16:9 and 2.35:1) of the screen on the right/left. If what was happening on the very edge of the screen was that important then it would be in the center of the screen, who cares if they crop off some extra who made 50 bucks to stand there?
post #18 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by D-rock0030
I dont know if I'm what you call Joe6Pack but I do know I like to see my TV filled up. I'm so sick and tired of hearing "the way the director wants you to watch it" I dont give a damn about some idiot director or how he wants me to watch something.

If you dislike the director so much, why are you watching his crap movie in the first place?

Why do you have a large TV at all (assuming you do)?

Josh Z

post #19 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Josh Z
If you dislike the director so much, why are you watching his crap movie in the first place?

Why do you have a large TV at all (assuming you do)?

I have a large TV because I wanted on. If a TV is 16:9 then I want the material on it to be 16:9 so it fills up the screen and uses all the area available that it has. Who wants to have a 50" TV and only be able to use 42" (arbitrarily) with black bars on the rest of it?? Fill the damn screen up.
post #20 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Wow .... It rises from the grave

HDC
post #21 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fill the damn screen up.

Hit the zoom button.
post #22 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I dont know if I'm what you call Joe6Pack but I do know I like to see my TV filled up. I'm so sick and tired of hearing "the way the director wants you to watch it" I dont give a damn about some idiot director or how he wants me to watch something. There's nothing of any importance going on in that 10% (diff. between 16:9 and 2.35:1) of the screen on the right/left. If what was happening on the very edge of the screen was that important then it would be in the center of the screen, who cares if they crop off some extra who made 50 bucks to stand there?

First of all, the difference between 1.85 and 2.35 is about 25%, not 10%. If you're going to try to present an argument, be accurate in your numbers.

As to the last statement, well, nothing really needs to be said. It speaks for itself and begs the questions of why do you even watch a movie and do you even know what a movie really is?
post #23 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've said this before in other threads, but I'll repeat it again here.

A TV is just a box. Its purpose is to hold a movie picture. Sometimes movie pictures aren't the exact same shape as the box and require matting along the edges to fill the excess space. If the box is more important to you than the picture it is supposed to hold, your priorities are backwards. It's like getting a package in the mail, throwing out the contents and keeping the cardboard USPS mailer.

Josh Z

post #24 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry G
First of all, the difference between 1.85 and 2.35 is about 25%, not 10%. If you're going to try to present an argument, be accurate in your numbers.

As to the last statement, well, nothing really needs to be said. It speaks for itself and begs the questions of why do you even watch a movie and do you even know what a movie really is?

First of all duhhhhh, thats why I said left and right and secondly I think I said about 10%. So about 10% on the left and about 10% on the right is about 20% which is close and good enough for me doing the division of 1.78/2.35 in my head.

Do I know what a movie is? WTF kind of smartazz question is that, people like you are just a waste of blood.

Maybe Directors will start shooting in 16:9 so then you so called art afficianodos can "see it the way the director wants you to see it" and everybody else with common sense will have the screen filled.
post #25 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe Directors will start shooting in 16:9 so then you so called art afficianodos can "see it the way the director wants you to see it" and everybody else with common sense will have the screen filled.

Sucks to be you, but OAR acceptance is on the rise. You better get used to more and more black bars.
post #26 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

I have a large TV because I wanted on. If a TV is 16:9 then I want the material on it to be 16:9 so it fills up the screen and uses all the area available that it has. Who wants to have a 50" TV and only be able to use 42" (arbitrarily) with black bars on the rest of it?? Fill the damn screen up.

I have a 2.35:1 screen because I wanted one. Fill the damn screen up.
post #27 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:

First of all duhhhhh, thats why I said left and right and secondly I think I said about 10%. So about 10% on the left and about 10% on the right is about 20% which is close and good enough for me doing the division of 1.78/2.35 in my head.

Nice try, but it didn't work.

Quote:

Do I know what a movie is? WTF kind of smartazz question is that, people like you are just a waste of blood.

I repeat the question. Do you know what a movie is? Obviously you don't have a clue.
post #28 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Here are some examples of how Pan & Scan can destroy a movie.

These are with 1.33 cropping, and 1.77 cropping is almost as bad.

Robert
post #29 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

And another thing. If I had the Mona Lisa everything but the face would have to be chopped off to fit the space I've got for it.
post #30 of 1284 Old 05-03-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Unbreakable is not OAR on ABC tonight.
Reply HDTV Programming