post #1501 of 1515 Old 02-01-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich_SC
sorry ken...I thought this was more D* related so I posted here.
No apology necessary.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1515 Old 02-01-2004, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
I was watching the channel 82 eligible listings, and I find it funny that only New York and LA customers are totally eligible no matter what .
What's so funny about this? The two feeds are the actual CBS feeds from New York and Los Angeles. Of course the two home cities would be eligible to see their own local broadcasts...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #1503 of 1515 Old 02-01-2004, 10:13 PM

I'll respond to your points one by one

1) D* provided a press release on 1/7 that claimed CBS HD would be available in O&O markets before Super Bowl. Yes they did that, but their stupidity reigns in that they waited until 3 days before to go live. They never should hve made such a claim if it was going to be an 11th hour addition. They knew well that in nearly all O&O markets there was going to be issues. The funny thing is that back in the old days before D* had locals WPEC in West Palm didn't claim they were our CBS station. So, why have things changed?

2) I could care less when CBS gave them permission and when D* had it up and running in their lab. I'm quite sure the Agreement with CBS was in place on 1/7 when they made the announement. The obligation still falls squarely on D*'s shoulders to provide the service in a timely manner and in this case any intelligent person would have provided buffer time so users could address database and waiver issues.

3) From 1/7 until a couple days before CBS HD launched the CSR's had no clue. What would they be leaking? Already announced information? I don't get your point!

To answer your last point on why I waited to get a waiver, its simple. I'm in Miami and WFOR is our CBS station and never ever ever has there been a claim that WPEC is our CBS station. Their news doesn't even cover things anywhere near Miami unless its seriously newsworthy nor do they have advertising that covers Miami. Plus in years past before D* locals began transmitting, Waivers weren't required for CBS. So, why would I ever in anyone's right mind think I needed a waiver this time? Again, I asked the D* CSR's and no one had a clue until yesterday when they refused to turn on CBS. As a matter of fact after speaking with D* many times on this issue it wasn't until about the 5th or 6th rep I spoke with before anyone even told me about their Special Projects group.

The whole thing is a cluster **** and D* is a bunch of idiots for making it that way! Anyone who backs them in the way they handled this situation for those who got screwed like me, is just a plain fool.

Quote:
Originally posted by chs4
You can be P.O.'d at D* all you want, but unless you have some inside info the rest of us do not let's take a look at a few of the things you are assuming:

1. D* has had the feeds up and tested on the sats for a while
(there are many informed members of this forum that would have brought this to our attention if it were true)

2. CBS gave D* permission to turn up the feeds and D* chose not to
(there's no advantage to D* sitting on this, and I think CBS would have something to say about it if they tried)

3. CSRs can keep a secret
(face it, as soon as the CSRs were trained/armed with this info it would have leaked. I'm sure CBS had as much if not more control regarding the timing of the roll-out as D*)

I've been following this entire thread and there are barely a handful of people who CAN get waivers but didn't because they didn't know this was coming. And to those people I'd have to say, "Why'd you wait?". The original press release was January 7th, so everyone who cared to take the time has had four weeks to resolve waiver issues. And please don't tell me it was confusing or misleading...if your passion runs so deep that you feel the need to berate a company in public, the least you could do is make the necessary inquiries to find out if you were going to have issues. Caveat Emptor.

This was going to cause problems regardless of when it happened. The vast majority either got CBS-HD as they should have, or aren't eligible and therefore the timing is a moot point.
post #1504 of 1515 Old 02-01-2004, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by talbain
What's so funny about this? The two feeds are the actual CBS feeds from New York and Los Angeles. Of course the two home cities would be eligible to see their own local broadcasts...
Talbain, you forgpt to read the rest of my post. I said specifially that WCBS doesn't care where you watch their programming, OTA or Sat. So of course they would give permission to their own stations.
post #1505 of 1515 Old 02-01-2004, 10:45 PM

Taken right from WPEC's website. Does it say Miami? Does it say Fort Lauderdale which is North of me and in between Miami and Palm Beach? Those other counties listed are all North of Palm Beach and even further away from me. So, how did this staton become listed as a CBS affiliate for customers in Miami? Greety pigs trying to increase their advertising rates due to supposed larger coverage???

WPEC NEWS 12 is the CBS affiliate serving Florida's Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Okeechobee counties, the nation's 40th largest television market. Approximately 2.3 million people live in the NEWS 12 viewing area.

We signed on the air Jan. 1, 1955. At that time we were affiliated with the ABC Television Network; we switched to CBS on Jan. 1, 1989.
The station's offices and main studios are located at 1100 Fairfield Drive in Mangonia Park, just off Australian Avenue between Blue Heron Boulevard and 45th Street.

We have news bureaus in Port St. Lucie and Delray Beach - we can broadcast live from both of them.
post #1506 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

My quest for superbowl in HD - with happy ending thanks to D* and this thread.

I live in Fairfield county, CT, one of the harder areas to get CBS in HD.

Last year, we watched Superbowl on our new HDTV. We invited a whole bunch of friends and it was a big fun party. But last year was ABC, WTNH is only 15 miles away, one of the easiest stations for us to get over the air.

So naturally this year everyone assumed that the party will be repeated, and I didn't have the heart to say no. I decided to play safe and ordered two different ways of getting CBS in HD. Cablevision in our area started carrying CBS-HD. I used to be a Cablevision subscriber and still use their Cable Modem. So I thought this would be an easy install. But Cablevision boxes don't have DVI output, so I also called an installer to install a deep fringe antenna to get CBS from Hartford or New York - both about 50-60 miles away.

Well murphy's law interfered with my plans. Because of a snowstorm Cablevision couldn't keep the installation date and the best reschedule estimate they could give was Feb 2 - thanks a lot. Not their fault though, blame it on weather.

My antenna installation guy missed 4 appointments in a row. He would make the appointment, fail to show up. I would call, he would reschedule. Fail to show up again. I am still waiting for him! In my experience, antenna installers must be the most unprofessional 'professionals'.

Meanwhile, thanks to this great forum and thread, I learnt that DirecTV was going to carry CBS-HD. I'm already a D* customer. So with great trepidation I tuned to channel 81 on Friday -- and lo and behold -- there was CBS in full HD glory. My wife told me that Friday night was the first night in a week that I slept well.

Still, I wasn't sure if the broadcast would be without hitches or if it would match what we saw last year. I am very pleased with the results though of course we could all quibble. We had a great superbowl party with ~30 guests, the largest number that have ever been glued to one program in my house. And it was a great game, both teams played well, Patriots won :), and the last seconds suspense was great! Thankfully the game didn't go into overtime.

So this is my long winded way of thanking this thread and forum for saving my day.

Arun Gupta  My guides at www.digiupdate.com + threads at AVS Forum:
Selecting a High Def Display: Guide Thread
DLP All Vendors: Guide Thread
Samsung HLN & HLN-W1 DLP: Guide Thread Interview on HLN-W1
LCoS RPTV: GuideNew
DVD Players with DVI or HDMI: GuideNew Thread
HDTV Poll: GuideNew Sat/Cable TV...

post #1507 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

In case this hasn't been covered in the 76 pages of posts...I went to add CBS. You have the option of getting CBS East, CBS West or both each costing $1.50 per month if you don't have locals....free if you do.
post #1508 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 07:50 AM

The CBS HD feed is no charge for O&O market D* customers who subscribe to the HD package and local networks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R
In case this hasn't been covered in the 76 pages of posts...I went to add CBS. You have the option of getting CBS East, CBS West or both each costing $1.50 per month.
post #1509 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 08:44 AM

I cant believe that there are some posts defending D*. I guess it must be a case of "have's and have nots". The haves seem perfectly happy with D*'s completely inept and arbitrary handling of this whole CBS HD issue. Yes, I am a "have not" and some of my neighbors (without waivers) are "haves", all because of a little station in Wyoming that that is perfectly willing to give waivers, but just couldnt handle the last minute volume. I was told twice last week that I would not be required to get a waiver. I was sick of calling D* on Friday, I called four times and each time got the same response. Was I really expected to keep calling until I finally got someone who would turn it on out of ignorance or was willing to break the rules ? How can anyone, whether they "got it" or not tolerate this kind of behavior from a company ?
post #1510 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahh, I'll revise that. I don't subscribe to locals...but will once they pick up Fox since my OTA Fox is Sinclair owned.
post #1511 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

The CBS HD feed is no charge for O&O market D* customers who subscribe to the HD package ~ OR ~ local networks, according to info on channel 82.
post #1512 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm one of the "haves" ... got it with no waivers.

But I have to agree with mintakaX, no defense of DirecTV is appropriate. They WERE arbitrary, and should have seen this coming, and handled it better. I KNEW it would cause them problems, from the original wording of their vague and misleading press releases, to the by now contemptable and far-too-late information screen on channel 82.
post #1513 of 1515 Old 02-02-2004, 09:52 PM

Well I spoke with the President's office at D* today and they promptly turned on my CBS HD when they realized what happened over the weekend. They also gave me a $100 credit for their stupidity in the way their CSR's handled this situation and the fact that they waited until the last minute to turn on CBS HD and provide info to customers who might need waivers. At least they acknowledged their stupidity and from what I was told today News Corp is already planning several changes to take place in D*'s customer service department because they know this is one of the places they are seriously lacking qualified people. We'll see....
post #1514 of 1515 Old 04-19-2004, 09:37 PM

Does anyone know if WKRG is owned and operated by CBS?
post #1515 of 1515 Old 04-19-2004, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by crimsonblake
Does anyone know if WKRG is owned and operated by CBS?
See the DirecTV web site for a list of CBS O&O's.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page