AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by David McRoy
From everything I've read and seen on this story, here's my conclusion:

Janet Jackson didn't intend for the "reveal" to be quite so revealing. I saw video from a different angle than that of the HD camera we all saw live. It was on either ET or Extra last night and it showed Janet and Justin Timberlake's reactions in the several seconds that followed the point when the CBS HD camera cutaway occured. You see Janet fumbling with her bustier and a look of genuine shock on both their faces as they realize what happened.

I still personally conclude that while the entire halftime show content would have been fine on MTV (which parents can block if they don't want their children exposed) or on a Las Vegas stage, it was wholly inappropriate for a Super Bowl telecast. And, yes, I also queston the wisdom of parents letting small children view violent content as well. As a matter of fact, I view the action in Janet and Justin's dance routine as a portrayal of a violent act.
Wow! Someone else agrees with me entirely! I was beginning to feel like I was talking to walls. To answer BruceL's question, it may have not been made to tear off. It could have torn. Looked to me like he pulled pretty hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

so janet wears walmart bras?

rather be lucky than good.
post #363 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
OK, I know I am not a moderator or anything, just a participant like everyone else, (and I am guilty too) but what in the last 10 pages has any of this to do with HDTV? We saw it MORE clearly than our SD brethren?

I think we are WAY BEYOND off topic.

Just asking. (and now we rejoin the boob fest already in progress)

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #364 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ok, forget about the indecent exposure for a moment. As I read this thread before the incident everyone was complaining about the HD feed. I am beginning to wonder that at this point HD is hyped too much and comes up short in its promises. Case in point is the sound for this specific feed. Everyone seemed to be resorting to SD...me, I will stay on SD until HD is as stable as SD. See you all in 10 years.
post #365 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
Looked to me like the red "bra" was just sewn on the top of her little samurai outfit.
Looks that way to me too...

Check out the attached image of Justin's hand holding the removable part of the costume. (Anybody have a better image of Justin's hand? I cut this from an image I found on the web)

If I am seeing this right, what is shown is the inside of the leather cup where the red-frill imitation bra had been sewn across the top. (probably to appease the network producers) I don't buy the "wardrobe malfunction" response. They must think we are idiots.
  • I was offended by the public display of sexual violence. (Justin should be charged with that offense. There was NO reason at all to exhibit that behavior, in any venue, to any audience.)
  • I was offended by the degrading treatment given to the American flag. (Hey.. display our flag proudly and with dignity, not cut, tattered, backward, and with your head sticking through the middle.)
  • I was offended by the crotch groping. (I guess I'm showing my age, but if their clothing bothers them that much, switch to a different brand/style of underwear)
  • Finally, and to bring the topic partially back to the HD broadcast, I was offended by the lousy/choppy sound of the HD feed during the half-time show. Nobody can convince me that this could not have been detected and corrected before the performance, no matter whose production truck was being used. (I could tolerate almost ANY music, but there should not have been ANY excuse for the poor quality sound, especially since most of it was not performed live. )
Joe L.
LL
post #366 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by kezug
Ok, forget about the indecent exposure for a moment. As I read this thread before the incident everyone was complaining about the HD feed. I am beginning to wonder that at this point HD is hyped too much and comes up short in its promises. Case in point is the sound for this specific feed. Everyone seemed to be resorting to SD...me, I will stay on SD until HD is as stable as SD. See you all in 10 years.
I think that's a bit of an overreaction. The complaints I've seen was that portions of the feed (from the cameras on the sidelines) WEREN'T HD, and stood out like sore thumbs. The vast majority of the feed was outstanding (as are most CBS HD). I think they needed so many cameras to cover it they quite simply ran out of the right kind, and with us HD owners in the minority, it was an easy choice for them (CBS). It was disappointing, especially compared to the AFC championship game which blew me away.

HD isn't going away, in ten years they'll be talking about the next big thing. (HD 3d? :-)

James

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #367 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

For all of you who are expressing outrage...

Are you as outraged today (if not more) as you were during Super Bowl? I've been flipping through network and news channel morning shows last couple of days and I've been bombarded with the "ripping" scene every 2 mintues from every freakin channel.

If you say you are offended by the "violence" of the act that was portrayed by Justin, you should be also offended by these "news" programs since they show everything except for the blurred nipple.

Do you also think that Powell should be fining everyone of these news programs? No? Isn't that a double standard? These news programs can certainly use still shots to display all everyone need to know.

You KNOW only reason it is being displayed every two minutes is because of the ratings. Isn't that offensive? I mean, we are talking about morning programs that many children watch before they head out.

Where is the outrage?
post #368 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

This makes no sense. All of the networks showing replays of the incident have the breast blocked out so it can't be seen. There is no violation therefore...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #369 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I disagree. Many people have mentioned on this thread that what bothers them is the violence against women that is portrayed. If that is so, every news broadcast is showing the same violence every minute.

If you are arguing that everything is fine as long as they don't show a nipple, isn't that little simplistic and naive? Isn't that a problem as well since it seems that incredible amount of violence and sex is perfectly fine on network TV as long as you don't see areole?
post #370 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J. L.
Looks that way to me too...

Check out the attached image of Justin's hand holding the removable part of the costume. (Anybody have a better image of Justin's hand? I cut this from an image I found on the web)

If I am seeing this right, what is shown is the inside of the leather cup where the red-frill imitation bra had been sewn across the top. (probably to appease the network producers) I don't buy the "wardrobe malfunction" response. They must think we are idiots.
Joe L.
Joe, thanks for brining us back on topic with a very good post that converges the halftime show (JJ issue) with HDTV (the picture you posted). Looking at that picture, I agree it sure looks like the bra was just a piece of material sewn into the back of the leather cup. It seems we are looking at the back, based on looking at the buckles. So, this appears to be good HDTV based evidence supporting the theory that Justin lied about it being an accident.

Ah, finally, back on topic.
post #371 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 10:00 AM

I'm new to this forum and don't post much, but thought I'd chime in. You've got to remember that football is a very physical sport....I've seen countless replays of players breaking legs, getting kicked, close-lined, fighting, bleeding, etc.. So to call Justin removing a covering from Janet's jug as "violent"....I just don't see it. I don't watch the suberbowl with children....it's not a children's program. However, CBS should make more of an effort to indicate a TV-MA rating.

Finally, CBS: Please fix the audio dropouts and spend the extra nickel to use all HD cameras!!
post #372 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 AM

Liked: 20
The audio dropouts were terrible and the picture was a bit washed out. The whole halftime show was just a waste of money. The majority of viewers could care less of who these so called performers are. The lip-synch
was appalling. Makes you wonder if they do this on their tours as well.

As for the content, totally inappropriate. I was at a friends house and their 2 daughters ages 8 and 10 came into the room to watch the halftime show.
They could not care less for the game but they wanted to listen to Kid Rock
Janet,Nelly and Justin. They might have if the audio dropouts weren't so annoying but with Nelly grabbing his crotch and Janet having her bra taken off and exposing herself on a national television show the kids even said that they will not listen to any of their music. Of course I was floored when they said that but they are right.

CBS should be fined for every station broadcasting the halftime show. I believe the fine from the FCC is $27,000 for the infraction so multiply that for each affiliate. The majority of the public do not want this in their homes.
That is what PPV,Showtime,HBO and that sort of outlet is for.

Of course that is the talk around all of the water coolers and believe me there is all comments you can think of. I guess if we lived in a perfect world
then this would have not mattered but ultimately it is not. Cheers.

Klipsch so much it Hz
post #373 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

One 30 second advertisement that aired during the Superbowl cost $2.6 million. $5.2 million a minute... times all those commercials...

A $27,500 fine, even from every CBS affiliate in the country, is chump change. Think about it.

What gets me is the CBS statement afterwards from Les Moonves that what was broadcast "didn't fit within CBS's broadcast standards".

So I suppose a few years ago when 60 Minutes in early prime time (6:25 PM in our time zone) showed the unscensored clip from the movie "SOB" where Julie Andrews bares her breasts... it "fit" CBS standards(?)

I lost part of my Sunday dinner on that one when it came on the screen. Classic Danny Thomas explosively losing his drink and spewing forth (wife wasn't happy).

And oh yeah... last season in HDTV when CSI had William Peterson slowly and methodically washing down the bare butt of a beautiful murder victim, interspersed with full breast shots (with the female actor's eyes fluttering), this also met "CBS standards". That episode was shown at 8:00 PM in our time zone.

That CSI was also the first experience that a Korean foreign exchange student had with American television in our home. And in front of my three sons. He asked if what he just saw was "normal" for American television. 'fraid so! It is now!

The FCC will do a token act of punishment for the Superbowl incident and television stations will continue with business as usual and then show wonder at the end of every new television season why they have again lost viewers (editorial comment).

A few weeks ago there was something on the news that said that the highest rated cable television program would only rate number #258 or something, compared with regular broadcast television programs. And the broadcast networks are falling over themselves to try and copy cable content to stem the tide of the loss of viewers. Seems like the dog is chasing its tail and doesn't have a clue.
post #374 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ldivinag

2. why couldnt the comcast commercial for their HD services... be in HD???? ironic... [/b]
Because if you already have HD, why do you need to see a commercial telling you to get HD in HD? ;)

Seriously, I would assume the reason is the Comcast commercials are local inserts and not national broadcast commercials (since not everyone has Comcast). So it was your local CBS affiliate selling local ads to Comcast, thus they most likely do not have the ability to do them in HD.

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #375 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timpanogos

And oh yeah... last season in HDTV when CSI had William Peterson slowly and methodically washing down the bare butt of a beautiful murder victim, interspersed with full breast shots (with the female actor's eyes fluttering), this also met "CBS standards". That episode was shown at 8:00 PM in our time zone.

That CSI was also the first experience that a Korean foreign exchange student had with American television in our home. And in front of my three sons. He asked if what he just saw was "normal" for American television. 'fraid so! It is now!
I think CSI got away with it because it was supposed to be a cadaver, not breasts in a sexual context. I'm surprised about your Korean exchange student asking that, because nudity on network television is pretty much the norm in other parts of the world. I guess he is not able to get any Japanese television shows in Korea. HBO has a show occasionally, Shock Video I think it's called, that shows clips from various shows around the world..nude game shows, nude news, nude soaps, commercials, etc.

I think pretty much the US and the Islamic countries are the only countries that are so stuck up about nudity on television.

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #376 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally posted by joeinma
I think pretty much the US and the Islamic countries are the only countries that are so stuck up about nudity on television.
Amen! Americans have been taught, in the last couple of years, to fear Religious Theocracies because of their extremism, while our current leaders attempt to steer us in that very direction, blurring the separation of church and state while pandering to those whose views on religion differ from radical Muslims only in semantics. The rest of the civilized world fears us both.

If nudity were common on American broadcast TV, as extreme violence already is, then the half-second shot of Janet Jackson's surgically altered mammary gland would have raised nary an eyebrow. We are one weirdly repressed country.
post #377 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

If Janet Jackson's flabby, saggy bosom has been surgically altered, then my wife has had "treatments" I don't know about!

My HD DNS days are kaput!
post #378 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally posted by jambroni
If Janet Jackson's flabby, saggy bosom has been surgically altered, then my wife has had "treatments" I don't know about!
Ha! When Janet got her new boobs, they didn't sag; they sat up there like two coconut halves! I've got the Playboy spread to prove it. Gravity will eventually have its way no matter the skill of the plastic surgeon, or lack thereof. You and your wife need to have a conversation. :D
post #379 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If nudity were common on American broadcast TV, as extreme violence already is, then the half-second shot of Janet Jackson's surgically altered mammary gland would have raised nary an eyebrow. We are one weirdly repressed country. Can anyone tell me why a child who can watch violence on TV be upset and psychologically harmed by seeing a breast or a nipple which he/she saw when he/she was just a young child being breast fed. What part of the breast is bad. Law enforcement can't answer that unless they can adequately define the breast and since they can't determine where the breasts actually begins ands, they decided that the line of demarcation clearly by legal definition must be the aereola and the nipple area because that's easily defined by legal standards. If seeing breasts were bad then we wouldn't take children to the beach or the pool where they can see 50-70% of the breasts in a bikini or more when they bend over to feed the baby a bottle of milk. How shameful. America must grow up sexually and teach their children that sex in appropriate situations is wonderful and not dirty. The nipple could cause America to fall just like Rome did. Wow, the power of the nipple. Show all the cleavage you want to but don't dare show a nipple. There show be a congressional inquiry to determine exactly how much and what part of the breasts can be displayed. America is so sick when it comes to sexual attitudes and so hypocritical.
post #380 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is this clip (in HD) posted anywhere? Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread - I read several pages of it before finally just posting my question.
post #381 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ryangs
I've seen a SD clip, but no HD clip anywhere. I might make one now.
Please do.
post #382 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
Ha! When Janet got her new boobs, they didn't sag; they sat up there like two coconut halves! I've got the Playboy spread to prove it. Gravity will eventually have its way no matter the skill of the plastic surgeon, or lack thereof. You and your wife need to have a conversation. :D
Unfortunately, our conversations are all one way! :)

My HD DNS days are kaput!
post #383 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM

The Spoof article is back up, and reveals that the "wardrobe malfunction" was actually that Jackson "unintentionally exposed only her right breast," as the "left pup was a no-show." See:
http://www.thespoof.com/news/story2.htm
post #384 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI:

All links to clips will be deleted, as no one but the source owns the rights. Still images are another story.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #385 of 388 Old 02-03-2004, 11:29 PM

Well, now we have it officially. with all the complaints, there now will be a 5 second delay by cbs for the Grammys. While this may not seem like a big deal (and for the Grammys, I couldn't care less) where will this stop? If there is another "incident", will we be better off listening to the Super Bowl live on radio, or watching it semi-live with a 2 minute delay, to protect the mormans and the children?

Send them to war, but don't allow them to drink or see 1/10 of a second of the human anatomy.
post #386 of 388 Old 02-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timpanogos
Do I really need to bring attention to this?

The difference is that CSI episode was rated for Mature Audiences, and the NFL Superbowl was not. Mature programming is not meant for children and therefore responsible parents did not expose their children to this episode. Unfortunately for the Superbowl Halftime show, they pulled a quick on on parents across the world and many children saw what happened.

James
post #387 of 388 Old 02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

CBS aired that particular episode three (countem' 3) times. It first aired as a stunt in November sweeps of 2002 and then twice again in 2003. Get this: it was rated TV-14, TV-PG and TV-M, respectively, on each of the three occasions it aired.

It was as if CBS wanted to see "what the market" would bear (bare ?) (sorry for the pun). I was pissed because it was the TV-PG rated showing that my family and the Korean high school student were exposed to. This is when I did a little research on that particular episode to find out what the heck was going on. The FCC heard from me, but the incident is "still under review".

Our local CBS station is an O and O, CBS corporate owned and operated station and just goes to show why ownership limitations are absolutely necessary. The CBS corporate morality of New York, LA, and San Fransisco only makes HDTV enemies sometimes here in middle America (for a lot of us, anyway).
post #388 of 388 Old 02-05-2004, 10:51 AM

Boobs = no big deal, publicity stunt. Maybe wrong time and place, though.
Good football game (eventually), terrible half time.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page