2004 Daytona 500 in HDTV on NBC Topic! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
HDTV Programming > 2004 Daytona 500 in HDTV on NBC Topic!
kiwichev's Avatar kiwichev 12:49 PM 02-15-2004
Not as good as HDNET's cart race last year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GooglyBear's Avatar GooglyBear 12:51 PM 02-15-2004
hahaha, the one thing most memorable after this race will be over..

"See your local dodge dealer"

LOL :P y'all know what i mean -.-
macd23's Avatar macd23 12:52 PM 02-15-2004
am i the only one who is not that impressed with this HD coverage? maybe i am just getting too used to HD, but this the worst HD sports presentation I have seen yet. I don't get the "you are here" feeling i usually get.

viewing through comcast boston...
GAZDAD1969's Avatar GAZDAD1969 12:57 PM 02-15-2004
Im getting a nice HD picture however no sound at all. How can this be possible????
kevinivey's Avatar kevinivey 12:57 PM 02-15-2004
much better than SD. I rather it is soft than motion artifacts like CBS.
kevinivey's Avatar kevinivey 12:58 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by GAZDAD1969
Im getting a nice HD picture however no sound at all. How can this be possible????

Hard to help you if we do not know where your location is.
macd23's Avatar macd23 12:59 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinivey
much better than SD. I rather it is soft than motion artifacts like CBS.
yeah i just saw some posts referring to the fact that they may be doing something to adjut to the fast motion, maybe thats why it seems soft.....the grass seems a little pixelated to me too....it looks good, but not good for HD to me....
GAZDAD1969's Avatar GAZDAD1969 01:00 PM 02-15-2004
Kevin No Sound in Albany GA from WALB-DT
akh's Avatar akh 01:00 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by macd23
am i the only one who is not that impressed with this HD coverage? maybe i am just getting too used to HD, but this the worst HD sports presentation I have seen yet. I don't get the "you are here" feeling i usually get.

I am watching via WAVE out of Louisville. Seeing (hearing) some audio sync issues and agree the pic is soft. Seeing less motion artifacts than I expected so I wonder if that is related to the softer than expected pic?

Also, WAVE is multicasting with HD on 3-1 (47-1DT) and SD on 3-1 (47-2DT). They seem to always multicast so I expected motion artifacts today. I -am- seeing some but I have to look for them.

-AKH
Pete M's Avatar Pete M 01:00 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
You're not alone. Obviously this is better than SD, but this isn't much better than Fox ED. I'm grateful that NBC has provided the HD coverage, but I'm not very impressed.
rcliff's Avatar rcliff 01:00 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by macd23

Way too many SD cameras and the HD camera shots are just fair IMO, no where near the best hi def presentations I've seen. Audio sync problem is still there although only noticeable on the rare commentator shots. Great race though :)
vegggas's Avatar vegggas 01:02 PM 02-15-2004
FYI - No HD in Las Vegas. Local NBC station was trying to go HD this weekend, but didn't quite make it.
Cox is offering the Nascar In Car channels on 523 - 529 for free to digital users though and the NBC SD digital signal on 123. At least we have something.

vegggas
macd23's Avatar macd23 01:04 PM 02-15-2004
ok i see most are saying it looks a little soft. some cameras look better than others.... for a HD broadcast I give it a c+
kevinivey's Avatar kevinivey 01:06 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete M
You're not alone. Obviously this is better than SD, but this isn't much better than Fox ED. I'm grateful that NBC has provided the HD coverage, but I'm not very impressed.

Did you watch Nascar in EDTV last year on Fox?

there is NO comparsion.
rcliff's Avatar rcliff 01:06 PM 02-15-2004
That crash was crazy! Hopefully everyone's ok
kyungkim's Avatar kyungkim 01:07 PM 02-15-2004
hey its not the best ive seen, but u gotta admit those pileups look fantastic.
kiwichev's Avatar kiwichev 01:10 PM 02-15-2004
Great HD shot of waltrip
rcliff's Avatar rcliff 01:13 PM 02-15-2004
Some great coverage of this wreck, too bad they're almost all SD. And what's with the shakey cameras (both HD and SD).
wkehn's Avatar wkehn 01:15 PM 02-15-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by kiwichev
Great HD shot of waltrip
OTA here in Boston, looks quite good IMO. I don't see what all the complaints are from, unless you are in SD.
premierht's Avatar premierht 01:15 PM 02-15-2004
They need to pave all that grass. Ridiculous.

E. J.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 01:15 PM 02-15-2004
Comcast feed here in Santa Rosa is mediocre at best. Some shots are good quality, closeups and such but long distance shots I have a hard time believing they are in HD. Lots of pixel motion and blurring. I'm not really into Nascar but was interested in seeing this broadcast because of the HD aspect. IMO this broadcast definately will not bring people to HD in droves.
wezar's Avatar wezar 01:16 PM 02-15-2004
Thats Plate racing. Just a demolition derby at 185.

Picture looks good to me. Remember these cameras are shooting a lot farther than for a football game.
robjulo's Avatar robjulo 01:16 PM 02-15-2004
Audio sync issues in Louisville on driver / reporter interviews. Sync isn't even close at times.
TMack409's Avatar TMack409 01:22 PM 02-15-2004
OK, I'm gonna cut the HD cams some slack here..... In racing, with the wildly varying focal lengths, I just don't know how it could be "you are there" quality.....

IMHO, racing will be the ultimate HDTV challenge.
kpoon's Avatar kpoon 01:22 PM 02-15-2004
i'm not that impressed either. i was also wondering if it was truly hd. whoever said that nascar would be a better showcase for hd than football was incorrect.
whitllam's Avatar whitllam 01:23 PM 02-15-2004
Please remember that there are no wireless HD cameras yet (besides the prototype that CBS used for the Super Bowl) and that NASCAR coverage, including the in-car cameras, use this technology extensively. For those of you who are new to NASCAR coverage, this may not seem impressive, but for a long-time fan, I am thrilled. Now you can actually see which car is which on the long backstretch shot! :-)
kevinivey's Avatar kevinivey 01:25 PM 02-15-2004
Looks much better than Fox, but to me on my set it looks like 720p. I know it is not, but if I had to guess blindly that would be what I would guess it to be. Yea, it is wonderful to tell what car is what in distant shots. This has never been possible in SD.
brockdb's Avatar brockdb 01:25 PM 02-15-2004
KSAN-DT in San Angelo, TX is not broadcasting the race in HD?!?!? I just bought $300 worth of equipment to see this race in HD for nothing. Anyone else out there in San Angelo, TX?
ursa99's Avatar ursa99 01:25 PM 02-15-2004
I'm watching from Boston OTA and the pict looks soft. I have seen much better HD than I'm watching now. NBC could use more HD cameras. I can't believe that any of the long shots are SD....but they are.

NBC is last on my list of HD broadcasters.
romy101's Avatar romy101 01:26 PM 02-15-2004
You guys are waaaaay too spoiled. Did you see last years Daytona on Fox? Compared to that this is way way way better. It looks very nice here. Be grateful that we have it in hd this year. I hope Fox goes bankrupt by the way.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop