VOOM is BLASTING OFF!!! - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Packman
Question--If VOOM gets Espn HD(and the rest of the family) would that satisfy the naysayers???
Unfortunately, no.

FOX RSN carries too much local sports content, Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Packman
Question--If VOOM gets Espn HD(and the rest of the family) would that satisfy the naysayers???
You're joking right?
post #273 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
You're joking right?
So you think a preference for season long viewing of live, local sports teams over more movie re-runs is a joke? I don't understand your sarcasm at failing to sell the product you champion. The question was asked, the answer given. Nothing more.
post #274 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think he said that because he feels there is nothing that would satisfy the naysayers. I don't think it has anything to do with the content, or any meant mean towards you.

Go Broncos!
post #275 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dont think anything will satisfy some people and thats fine. I had FOx RSN
and never watched it. Between TBS, TNT, CBS,ABC,NBC,FOX AND THE ESPN channels there will be enough sports to satisfy most. D* has made the mistake of trying to be everything to everyone at the expense of quality. I hope V* does not turn into that.
post #276 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vurbano
I dont think anything will satisfy some people and thats fine. I had FOx RSN
and never watched it. Between TBS, TNT, CBS,ABC,NBC,FOX AND THE ESPN channels there will be enough sports to satisfy most. D* has made the mistake of trying to be everything to everyone at the expense of quality. I hope V* does not turn into that.
Uh no they don't. Tom is correct. For many people who watch sports the local Fox Sports channel is a must. Here in Ohio FSN carries 75 Blue Jackets games a year. These games are not available anywhere else. For alot of people this is also the case. Tom and I are not the only ones. Voom may not have to be everything to everyone but don't kid yourself into thinking they can compete on HD alone. What people fail to realize is the people on this board are a minority. Give the average consumer the choice between more HD or their favorite local sports team and HD will lose everytime.
post #277 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

from the satelliteguys.us website, take it with a grain of salt.

"I know there has been a lot of misinformation on this and similar topics, so take this with a grain of salt. This is what the CSR told me when I ordered today:

"ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic and ESPN HD are guaranteed. The contracts have been signed. The channels have been assigned. We just don't know the exact launch date yet". I forgot to ask her if they are separate or part of Marquee.

A muted "yippeee" from me - seeing is believing."

"
post #278 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that inhd1 and 2 are next though after espn.
post #279 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
I think he said that because he feels there is nothing that would satisfy the naysayers. I don't think it has anything to do with the content, or any meant mean towards you.
Thank you Vagetto, you are correct.
post #280 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Then I apologize for taking offense where none was meant.

But I pose a question to Ken Ross:

If I'm not mistaken, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but you still maintain a subscription to DirecTV to go along with Voom. That means you get all the channels that someone subscribing to just one or the other, would not. So when you trumpet one for picture quality over one having content, I would have to question objectivity coming from your perspective of having all the channels anyway. In other words, you will not experience the potential void, or hollowness from making a choice for more quality movies over watching season long, live broadcasts of the local home teams, or other regional content, because you get both. Now I'm not crying because we choose only to subscribe to one, not crying because there's a content provider out there with more HD channels. I might start to cry if I can't have season long coverage of my local teams, the Rockies, the Nuggets, the Avalanche.

I'm reminded of sailing on a luxury cruise liner, where there are several channels of high quality, commercial free movies looping 24 hours, reasonably fresh, and other varied and interesting content and yet..I'm missing the Cowboys play the Redskins.
post #281 of 305 Old 04-04-2004, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had Voom for a week know and it works great. The only problem is the diplexor has messed with my ability to receive the loca CBS HD OTA transmission. The movie channels are three hundred times better than anything Comcast, HDNet or Dish have to offer. The product is fantastic!!! If you are in an area where you can recieve local OTA* channels, I would switch to Voom. Direct TV is owned by Rupert Murdoch and that can only mean one thing, Encryption!. He wasn't going to allow his FOX Network to Broadcast in HD until the broadcast flag was implemented. Dish it seems doesn't have it together either. I am not waiting anymore for Direct TV and Dish to offer more programming.
post #282 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 06:35 AM

Good for you Paintit:)

I'm calling DirecTV today ( its horrible Pegasus) and canceling. Been meaning to do it for sometime now, but today is the day.

Love my Voom.

Cheers,

Geoffrey
post #283 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 06:59 AM

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
Then I apologize for taking offense where none was meant.

But I pose a question to Ken Ross:

If I'm not mistaken, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but you still maintain a subscription to DirecTV to go along with Voom. That means you get all the channels that someone subscribing to just one or the other, would not. So when you trumpet one for picture quality over one having content, I would have to question objectivity coming from your perspective of having all the channels anyway. In other words, you will not experience the potential void, or hollowness from making a choice for more quality movies over watching season long, live broadcasts of the local home teams, or other regional content, because you get both. Now I'm not crying because we choose only to subscribe to one, not crying because there's a content provider out there with more HD channels. I might start to cry if I can't have season long coverage of my local teams, the Rockies, the Nuggets, the Avalanche.

I'm reminded of sailing on a luxury cruise liner, where there are several channels of high quality, commercial free movies looping 24 hours, reasonably fresh, and other varied and interesting content and yet..I'm missing the Cowboys play the Redskins.
Most of the Voom defenders (including myself) are not saying people should switch blindly from D* or E*. Most of the debate is with those who resent Voom even being an option "It's worthless" "HD doesn't cure crappy programming" "They're going out of business" "stay away from Voom".......Voom as a sole provider would increase your HD programming and give some new original content, but it could also create some potential voids in programming.

1) Missing SD channels (SciFi, ESPN, Fox News, Food, etc.)
2) Missing ESPN-HD
3) Missing Fox Sports Nets

I never watch my local Fox Sports net, so to me, that is not a void. ESPN-HD will be a void in the fall with the NFL. Fox News is the void that requires me to keep D*. Anyone who values any of these 3 things more than additional HD channels - will not find Voom to be the better sole supplier. The problem comes into play when people bash Voom and try to steer others away when they have not determined whether these 3 things are even important to the subject - or slam it entirely as having no value even as a supplement.

I'm in the category (I'm guessing like you are) that values what is missing from Voom more than what is gained. If they took care of #1, I'd be happy. #3 and you'd be happy. I choose to have both services because what Voom has in addition to D* is worth it to me. If I had to pick only one, right now I'd pick D*.
post #284 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I just signed up with Voom for the Va Va Voom pak. Interesting conversation with the CSR revealed the ESPN channels are being added this month. Secondly if you rent the STB instead of buying, the upgrade to the PVR is free and this will be out in August. The CSR tagged my account to upgrade to the PVR as soon as they are available at to additional cost. Still $9.50 per month for the rental.This is a no brainer for a chance to try the service. No contract, no installation charge, free equipment upgrades, the Va Va Voom monthly price of $79.95 is locked in for the rest of the year.

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #285 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Free upgrade? You sure about this one? I'm a bit concerned about what they are going to do with the pricing next year. Anyone know what the plans are for this?
post #286 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 09:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Erm... yeah, that whole free PVR upgrade thing sounds a bit fishy. Voom reps have consistently said they have NO information about the PVR, and cannot promise anything.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #287 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by matrix
I just signed up with Voom for the Va Va Voom pak. Interesting conversation with the CSR revealed the ESPN channels are being added this month.
I was just told the same thing. Said negotiations just wrapped up and 5 ESPN channels would be added later this month. Specifically listed:

ESPN-HD
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN News
ESPN Classic

She also wouldn't get up and look at "The Board" to let me know how many subs they're up to. She said "we aren't allowed". She said "I'm pretty sure" when I asked if they hit 10k. When I asked about 15K she said, "I would guess so". At 20k she said "I can't tell you anything else" TIFWIW.

She had no details about "free upgrade" to DVR. Only what we already know. DVR in the "summer".
post #288 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 10:23 AM

Do you guys know if Voom can be used with tivo?

Also I wanted to know if the zero down zero install deal is over?
post #289 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kdre
Also I wanted to know if the zero down zero install deal is over?
Deal is still going on. I thnk the guaranteed fixed price is in effect until the end of May.
post #290 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 10:44 AM

Thanks CPanther!! How about the tivo thing? Anyone know ? Can you use tivo with Voom?
post #291 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks CPanther!! How about the tivo thing? Anyone know ? Can you use tivo with Voom?
Not yet, but it has been reported that Tivo is working on it.
post #292 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is no interface with any of the Voom channels, but check out the HDTV Recorders forum - I know this has been covered.
post #293 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrzej
Not yet, but it has been reported that Tivo is working on it.

I was also told by the CSR that the TIVO will be out this summer also. I think he meant the PVR will be a TIVO unit. He did use the term TIVO when referring to the PVR

post #294 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Nope. See the recorders forum. Voom PVR is totally different. And as always... you CAN use your ReplayTV with Voom :)

post #295 of 305 Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 PM

Sweet, I Can't Wait for Monday to come! Now that ESPN(s) and most likely InHD(s) are on the horizon, I will be in HD (Voom) heaven!!!

Notes will never die.
post #296 of 305 Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

from a post on satellite guys:

ESPN Official

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I spoke to a Supervisor with V* today. He said that they had reached an agreement with ESPN to carry all channels including HD. He said they have passed cards out to the CSR's listing the channels and advising them to inform customers that the channels should be available within the next two weeks. Just to be sure I called right back and spoke to a CSR and asked about ESPN and she said that had just gotten the line upp info!!!!"

also theres a post with links to the PVR, one PVR for the entire house capable of showing multiple programs on different tv's at once with rewinding and fastforward on each at the same time.
http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?products/multitvpvr
post #297 of 305 Old 04-06-2004, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Free upgrade? You sure about this one? I'm a bit concerned about what they are going to do with the pricing next year. Anyone know what the plans are for this?
The really astounding fact concerning the PVR is if you rent the equipment from Voom now, the upgrade to the PVR is FREE. I signed on a couple of days ago and made certain of this fact while the CSR made a notation in my file to upgrade to the PVR when available at no cost to me. Voom is certainly putting a dent in Dish and Direct TV with this marketing tactic. I have been a loyal Dish customer since 1995 to present but I had to look at Voom's offer from every angle. Where is the catch? There is none! You can not go wrong jumping on the Voom wagon right now with the free install and the VaVaVoom pak for $79.95 per month locked in until 2005 The CSR went on to tell me the price on the VaVaVoom pak would probably stay the same as is is now on the special after the first of the year. I would like to see that in writing however.

post #298 of 305 Old 04-06-2004, 04:06 PM

Seems the ESPN will be coming soon, but what about the other channels that are missing?

BBC America
Food Network
TechTV
HGTV
OXGN
and a few other.

Does anyone know if these are to be in the line-up anytime soon??

Thanks,

Geoffrey
post #299 of 305 Old 04-06-2004, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

GELS

OXYGN is on channel 516 on voom already.
post #300 of 305 Old 04-06-2004, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by matrix
The really astounding fact concerning the PVR is if you rent the equipment from Voom now, the upgrade to the PVR is FREE. I signed on a couple of days ago and made certain of this fact while the CSR made a notation in my file to upgrade to the PVR when available at no cost to me. Voom is certainly putting a dent in Dish and Direct TV with this marketing tactic. I have been a loyal Dish customer since 1995 to present but I had to look at Voom's offer from every angle. Where is the catch? There is none! You can not go wrong jumping on the Voom wagon right now with the free install and the VaVaVoom pak for $79.95 per month locked in until 2005 The CSR went on to tell me the price on the VaVaVoom pak would probably stay the same as is is now on the special after the first of the year. I would like to see that in writing however.
Matrix, again... I don't think you were told the truth about the PVR, for the simple reason that the CSRs have no idea about availability and pricing. The ONLY thing they have said for sure is that if you own the box, you will get a discount towards the PVR system. If you know the name of the CSR you spoke with, I strongly urge you to email the Voom reps on the Yahoo list and tell them. Again, while I love Voom and agree with the rest of your post, I do not want you to be screaming 6 months from now when you find out that what you were told was wrong.

-MP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page