Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #301 of 305 Old 04-06-2004, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, for now I Will hang my hat on what the CSR told me. Didn't cost me a thing. If I am renting the box for $9.90 per month and they upgrade it to the PVR for nothing, what is soooo hard to believe in that promise? To Voom, a box is a box and I am a paying subscriber. If I don't get the upgrade they can come and get the box and dish and I am out nadda. They loose a subscriber.

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 305 Old 04-07-2004, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

That's fine... but I'm just saying as a warning to others who might think this is accurate, it's not :)

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #303 of 305 Old 04-07-2004, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Whatever they do will be competitive with the market. Does it really matter if they upgrade the STB at no charge, then charge a monthly fee for DVR service or charge a little more for the DVR with no additional monthly charge?

If the whole house solution debuts with the DVR's introduction, they'll have many options for pricing for the client/servers - rent one client and get 2 servers included, etc. Between hardware rental, DVR monthly charge, mirroring charges, there are a variety of ways they can price the service. However they do it, it will have to be competitive - being the hungry start-up in the market, I'm sure it will be.
post #304 of 305 Old 04-07-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I agree. I just don't want people to start saying "Oh, I get a free upgrade" and then be upset when they don't. Hell, I bought the stuff anc even I don't expect a free upgrade.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #305 of 305 Old 04-07-2004, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
I agree. I just don't want people to start saying "Oh, I get a free upgrade" and then be upset when they don't. Hell, I bought the stuff anc even I don't expect a free upgrade.
I know, I can't imagine they have actually set the rental/pricing structure on a product that likely wont be out for another 5 months. I hope people aren't assuming that the fact that a leased STB can be upgraded, that it will necessarily be done for "free". Not that I doubt a CSR said that, just that it is just as likely that a CSR is misinterpreting the upgrade info they have. I'm sure they have "talking points" about the benefits of leasing vs. the competition's purchase requirement.

1. Leasing means that when a set-top box becomes obsolete or improved upon, you can upgrade to a new box at no charge.

2. When new technologies become available, such as a DVR, you aren't tied to your existing STB, you can trade your lease for a standard STB for a DVR.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that a CSR would interpret those 2 items (incorrectly) that a DVR will be a free upgrade.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page