Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 305 Old 03-29-2004, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lomax,

A phone line will cost $14.95/mo from one of the VoIP providers, assuming you have broadband Internet. Voom did say they were looking at other options. There might be some way for customers to authorize/reauthorize their boxes over the Internet, but that hasn't been determined yet.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 305 Old 03-29-2004, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
techno,

No, it is necessary. You will need to have the phone line hooked up for security anti-piracy purposes, regardless of whether you buy any PPV. In summary:

VOOM doesn't use the phone line for anything right now. In 4-6 weeks, the VOOM box will receive new software update from satellite that will make the phone line a requirement. At that time, VOOM will use the telephone line for a) PPV billing, and b) to prevent piracy.

By having each box call in, they can keep track of the number of STBs in use, and where they are calling from, to prevent piracy. Any box not connected to a phone line will be de-authorized and lose service. That way, any boxes that are stolen can be tracked down, and no box that is stolen or hacked (and not connected to a phone line) will continue to receive satellite service.
How sure are you about this? I for some reason doubt it. I'm sure that was also D* and E*s intent also.. but I don't think it ever works like that because they would be screwing over a few % of their customers who no longer have a phone line. Unless the figure out another way to authorize, I don't see that happening.

Go Broncos!
post #183 of 305 Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
It's the kind of thing that could more aggresively come into play at anytime. With D* I had a 3 receivers without phone lines attached for about 2 years(no PPV ordered on any). 1 was never affected, 1 was blacked out once and I called D* plugged in a phone line and they "re-pinged" it. The third receiver was blacked out every 3 or 4 months. So it could become a real pain.

What I wouldn't do, is hook it up to a second line that is registered to another residence. When I called D* and V* from my unlisted business line that has Caller ID Blocked, both were able to see my actual phone number, which means they could also see addresses assigned to those numbers.
Dont you think Voom would lose a lot of potential customers who just dont want to hook up their phone to their box? and what about the people who want voom and no home phone. wont they lose customers....

I am sure DISH and direct would lose many customers if they did this.
(is there a card in the voom box?)

technoreid
post #184 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by technoreid
Dont you think Voom would lose a lot of potential customers who just dont want to hook up their phone to their box? and what about the people who want voom and no home phone. wont they lose customers....

technoreid
I have Voom now. I argued with them for 30 minutes about the "no home phone line" problem and how I use my cell phone for everything. I gave in a got a $15/month limited phone line. I still have not hooked up the phone line to Voom (been 2 weeks). Clearly, the phone line is for Pay-Per-View.
post #185 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, clearly it isn't :). As has already been posted, Voom will use the phone line for a security feature during the next major software push in 4-6 weeks.

-MP

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #186 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
How sure are you about this? I for some reason doubt it. I'm sure that was also D* and E*s intent also.. but I don't think it ever works like that because they would be screwing over a few % of their customers who no longer have a phone line. Unless the figure out another way to authorize, I don't see that happening.

It will happen. Your subscription will go dark unless you have it connected to a phone line by next software upgrade (not the one that they are trying to patch now).
post #187 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by technoreid

technoreid
I'm sure that at the current Voom saturation rate, they are not as concerned about the % of homes that do not have phone service. If it's true that in 4-6 weeks it will be a requirement - meaning the box wont work without it - then this will certainly be a stricter policy than what D* has.

But like I said before, D* has in the past, deactivated some of my boxes without phonelines attached, so who knows - maybe Voom is just doing now what everyone will be doing soon, like HDCP. Better to do it now then do it later and deal with a bunch of pissed off subs.
post #188 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 08:35 AM

If Voom is trying to be a "leader" in technology - why don't they do this through ethernet (and then through internet)? I hate the fact that I have to pay an additional $14.95 (plus taxes & fees ~$8) just for a phone line that may periodically see use from the Voom STB.

Ridiculous.

I have one of those cell plans that is unlimited. Land lines are a thing of the past for me.
post #189 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

But land lines are still more reliable than cell, and land lines are unlimited too (unless there are still some areas where this isn't available). It may be a little off-topic, but people don't seem to realize that lately.
post #190 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
But land lines are still more reliable than cell, and land lines are unlimited too (unless there are still some areas where this isn't available). It may be a little off-topic, but people don't seem to realize that lately.
For unlimited local calling I have to pay $24.95 + taxes & fees. This is from Verizon. The only competitor we have is Cavalier and they only offer a $34.95 package. It is all about "packages" these days. The cheapest package I could get is $14.95 for 50 calls/month. (plus those pesky taxes & fees - aka relief/rebuild funds)

My cell phone service has been impeccable where I live. I can make calls in remote areas on the weekends as well. No voice mail or missed call worries. I have had nothing but trouble with my land line until they finally figured out the pole/nib problem and ran new lines (after a year of battling, I gave up on the land line).
post #191 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:02 AM

What a joke this landline issue is. After 3 weeks and 2 days of taking off work, I finally got my VOOM equipment installed. No one ever told me a landline was required. Now I have the VOOM equipment, but am unable to activate it until I connect it through a land line.

VOOM is trying to be 'cutting-edge' by offering all of this great HDTV. Yet don't they realize that the early adopters who will help them to succeed are the same people who have gotten rid of their landlines and use cell phones only?

Big mistake VOOM!
post #192 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Again, since you just cut and pasted between forums...

Ok... when you sign up, either throguh the web or over the phone, they ALWAYS ask you 3 questions.

1) Do you have line of sight?
2) Do you have the right to install?
and 3) Do you have a phone line?

I can't imagine they didn't ask you these questions.

post #193 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This takes the cake. Now voom is criticized for using a phone line? This guy thinks more people have ethernet than phone lines?

Poet I dont remember the line of sight question at all.

What does the price of his phone packages have to do with this thread?

I guess Voom should have had motorola attach GPS location to each reciever and verify your north and east coordinates. But then theyd complain they couldnt stick it in their campers.
post #194 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vurbano
This takes the cake. Now voom is criticized for using a phone line? This guy thinks more people have ethernet than phone lines?

Poet I dont remember the line of sight question at all.
I wasn't asked any of those questions by the CSR who signed me up. Also the installer never said anything about a phone line.

As far a criticizing voom for using phone lines. Yes, they should be criticized. I understand requiring one for PPV, but for activation? Why don't they also require everyone to have an internet connection and cell phone plan?

This is satellite television service. And just because earlier providers have used phone lines doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to do things.
post #195 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
why dont they require an internet connection? Because a large portion of the country still doesnt have one?

Why dont they require cell phones? because it has nothing to do with tying down the location of the reciever.
post #196 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:28 AM

Quote:
why dont they require an internet connection? Because a large portion of the country still doesnt have one?
75% of American have internet at home. And where do I get a landline that travels with me in my RV or SUV? Sign me up!
post #197 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slffl
VOOM is trying to be 'cutting-edge' by offering all of this great HDTV. Yet don't they realize that the early adopters who will help them to succeed are the same people who have gotten rid of their landlines and use cell phones only?

Big mistake VOOM!
Voom can't be everything to everybody or they would have to have enough sats to accomodate 1320 SD channels (220 LIL markets x 6 per).

To succeed they need to focus their energy and resources on those areas where they can make quick gains in subscribership. Their current focus covers a tremendous number of potential customers.

1. Those subs looking supplement their current primary provider. Target subs are those that:
a. Have HDTV's
b. Desire a wide variety of HD programming
c. Have a hard phone line.

This group will grow almost exponentially over the next few years and, at this time, Voom is the only provider to fill this void.

2. Subs willing to switch outright from their current provider to Voom: Target subs:
a. Have HDTV's
b. Have a hard phone line
c. Value the HD programming over Fox News, SciFi, ESPN.
d. Live in range of DTV OTA broadcasts.

Voom has plenty of opportunity for rapid growth the way they are currently positioned. They will gain a lot more potential subs by adding ESPN, Fox News and SciFi then they would by accomodating those with only cell phone service.
post #198 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Why dont they require cell phones? because it has nothing to do with tying down the location of the reciever.
Plus an internet connection also does not tie down the location of the receiver.
post #199 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:52 AM

Well good look to them. I was looking forward to the great deal. However, now I'll begin patching up the 8 holes in my roof while I wait for something from D* or E* or cable. The savings of not having a landline will help with the $999 price on their products.
post #200 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well good look to them. I was looking forward to the great deal. However, now I'll begin patching up the 8 holes in my roof while I wait for something from D* or E* or cable. The savings of not having a landline will help with the $999 price on their products.
I'd go with E* then. I prefer D*, but D* disconnected a couple of my receivers that didn't have the phone line attached. Had to keep unhooking the receiver and taking it to another room to hook a line to have it re-activated.

I had an E* receiver for exactly a year that never had a phone line attached, and it was never disconnected from service.
post #201 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

slffl,

On the VOOM group awhile back, someone mentioned an adapter that could be used to turn a cell into a phone jack. Apparently, they are available for most Motorola and some Nokia phones. It lets you make and receive calls using a standard phone with with your cell phone line.

Honestly, I don't see why more cell providers don't offer this sort of thing. With Bluetooth, it shouldn't be difficult to implement. I guess they probably want to sell you their dedicated landline service too...

http://shoppingcart2.pulver.com/imag...300phonesm.jpg

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #202 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

The problem is with those devices, they generally require you to send a special key like the # at the end of the number. On the Tivo forums, people were not successful getting them to work.

-MP

post #203 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I see. There goes that idea.

post #204 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 AM

well my Installer just called...
no voom for me today..
he's afraid of a litlle bit of rain we are getting.. I cant blame him for that !!

well maybe I will get it wed.
post #205 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
It will happen. Your subscription will go dark unless you have it connected to a phone line by next software upgrade (not the one that they are trying to patch now).
Not necessarily. With DirecTV, they have discretion if you tell them one of the mirrored receivers will be in service in a motorhome. I've had this conversation with them. They note it in your file records that you have requested it for a specific receiver. They haven't cut off the feed in years. All my other receivers ARE connected to phone lines.

RV'rs have been using DirecTV for years with all manner of RV specific products for the service, including tracking dishes that let you receive the signal while moving or stationary.

In the case of Voom, they are doing all the installs, all installs are to a fixed address, they can and probably will be more rigid about the phone line requirement.
post #206 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
What a joke this landline issue is. After 3 weeks and 2 days of taking off work, I finally got my VOOM equipment installed. No one ever told me a landline was required. Now I have the VOOM equipment, but am unable to activate it until I connect it through a land line.

Big mistake VOOM!
Yeah, the plethora of people with HDTV that don't have a phone line - Voom is missing out on millions of subs!

Many of their subs will be rural and suburban users who can't get a lot of HDTV locally. They may not even have broadband. People who live in the heart of a city may cut their land line, but those people are a VERY small percentage of the population and even of the techie HDTV owners club.

post #207 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
Not necessarily. With DirecTV, they have discretion if you tell them one of the mirrored receivers will be in service in a motorhome. I've had this conversation with them. They note it in your file records that you have requested it for a specific receiver. They haven't cut off the feed in years. All my other receivers ARE connected to phone lines.

RV'rs have been using DirecTV for years with all manner of RV specific products for the service, including tracking dishes that let you receive the signal while moving or stationary.

In the case of Voom, they are doing all the installs, all installs are to a fixed address, they can and probably will be more rigid about the phone line requirement.
I thought about adding RV service for distant networks. RV accounts need no waiver for any network programming (this before HD, so don't know if they apply). Only problem is you really need an RV to accomplish it. You need to give them a copy of your vehicle registration.

Other downside is they told me that mirroring does not apply. They must charge full subscription price if it is not tied into a land line.
post #208 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You do NOT need a landline to activate service. I had 2 receivers installed and activated 2 weeks ago and I DID NOT PLUG THEM INTO THE WALL. The same goes for Dish, the only thing they use the phone for is to phone PPV purchases to Dish. If they require it in the future, that's a different story but for now, you do not need to plug them in.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #209 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
#1. How do you know this as fact?

#2. And if it is FACT and ACTUALLY becomes a REALITY don't you think
there are lots of people WHO DO NOT HAVE THE PHONE CONNECTED that
will be pissed off and cancel VOOM service?

#3. Does Voom have enough CSR's to handle the backlash of customers
whose BOXES get turned off because they
do not have their boxes connected? ....there are going to be lots of Voom
customers who do not have their boxes connected if they actually implemented
such a thing. (i.e., remodling, moving, changing the box to another room, cancel
hard line phone service and go to cell service, or go to VOIP)

#4. What about those people who ALREADY have VOOM subscriptions and
dont have a phone or have cancelled their hardline because there are other options for phone service (i.e., VOIP companies like VONAGE, Better Cell Packages, ect...)
*WIRELESS IS THE FUTURE.

My install is scheduled for tomm (and they never said "I HAD TO" HAVE A HARDLINE PHONE to have VOOM Service) personally I do not want my HARDLINE phone connected for many reasons.(i.e., long phone wire runs, i will move boxes from room to room, might get cell only service, ect...(I will let them use it to activate but I will disconect the line IMMED after and tell them that) and if they wont install VOOM under those circumstances - I will go back to digital cable....) and the installer will have to go back with his VOOM boxes....

I might be in the minority but I think there are quite a few people out there that would be affected by VOOM if their subscription GOES dark just because their phone line was not connected (for whatever reason).....

I hope I like VOOM!

technoreid
post #210 of 305 Old 03-30-2004, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think the phone line requirement is that restrictive. I think that the biggest impediments they have today are:

1. No DVR
2. No self-install option

I have voom and I need a new receiver (I was a relatively early adopter) but they will not send me one. I told them I refuse to take another day off of work just to get a replacement, so the installer will have to bring the receiver to my work and I will finish it myself. If they cannot do that, then I just have to go down to 2 receivers.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page