CSI: Miami DD5.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I know this has been brought up in the past, but I could swear CSI: Miami tonight is in DD5.1. I get the vopice in the middle with left right sounds for other stuff. And my surrounds have sound coming out of them. I know this isn't DD2.0, otherwise I wouldn't get sound from my surrounds. During commercials there is no sound from rears and all sound is in the front equally.

So am I hearing things? Can someone verify if they are getting DD5.1 on CSI: Miami tonight or not.

I am watching on D* 81. My STB is a Hughes HTL-HD box connected using the optical out to the audio receiver.

- Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2004, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Nope, CBS does not have 5.1 capability at this time. Your local station may be simulating 5.1.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Since D* 81 is out of LA, would the LA station be the one doing the "simulation?" On a side note I guess. How do they simulate DD5.1. Is it pro logic over the AC3 feed or something?

- Richard
post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 PM

CSI: Miami is broadcast in DD 2.0 surround. If you have a surround receiver with dolby PLII decoding then then you may get something that sounds similar to dd 5.1 but is not truly discrete. the dolby surround track for both CSI's can be very aggressive at times, like during the opening credits or if there is a shootout or during any action scenes.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 12:20 AM

My receiver indicated it was receiving DD 5.1, but the resulting output wasn't. All of the sound was coming discretely from the front left and right channels only, and I was too comfy on the couch to manually switch it to DPL II. :)

And Ken H, if CBS doesn't have 5.1 capability, what did they do for the Super Bowl and NCAA tournament? Was that just simulated? I apologize if this was covered elsewhere, but I don't recall seeing it.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Mo
...if CBS doesn't have 5.1 capability, what did they do for the Super Bowl and NCAA tournament?
Sorry for not being more specific. CBS offers live events like The Grammys and sports in DD 5.1. They do not have the capability to pass 5.1 from their recorded HD series and films. This is due to change at some point in the hopefully near future.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 08:11 AM

It is my understanding as a broadcaster that if the station Dolby encoder is set to 3/2 (5.1) and they pass a prologic encoded stereo pgm that the consumer set doesn't decode prologic properly. It will sound OK but just not get the big bang all around.

Hence our station does 2/0 for all upconverted programs. This passes the prologic sent from the network just fine. Same as if you decoced it on an NTSC set. When we pass the ABC Network with 5.1 material the master control switcher sets the Dolby Encoder to 3/2 (5.1). No operator involved.
JStigler
Dallas
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

I receive my HD signal from Comcast, here in the Chicago area. The Comcast banner definitely said 5.1 last for last night's CSI. As a matter of fact it was indicating that for all of the CBS broadcasts last night. My JVC THX Receiver was also indicating a 5.1 signal.

Mike K.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

mikek747,
CSI is not DD 5.1 on CBS, at least not yet. Your local station is incorrectly flagging the programming as DD 5.1
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

You may be correct, I was just stating what it was showing me.

Last night it was back to regular Dolby Digital.

Mike K.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-21-2004, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well this sure is very misleading. So CBS is trying to fool people into thinking they have DD5.1? OK. So I called KCBS in LA and spoke to their main engineer (or atleast he told me). He says that some of the shows are sometimes flagged for them to turn DD5.1 on. He isn't sure which shows as they are told that evening. They get their HD feed directly from NY and wait for them to tell them what to do. On a side note, he said that D* gets their HD ffed from KCBS OTA. There is not a direct fiber feed. Also, KCBS does not have a D* HD receiver to "check" the channel.

I called CBS New York, but was told all the people regarding their HD engineering are at NAB.

- Richard
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page