DiscoveryHd on Comcast? When!?! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just called Comcast to check on Discovery HD launch here in SF. CSR told me they have not been told anything about it. So I guess we have to wait and keep checking the channel line-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by xboxjunkie
[b]Welcome! You will need at least digital classic! Analog won't cut it for HD!
Also check what box their giving you! Make sure its a HD box 5100, 6200, 6208 etc... [ /B]
You don't need to subscribe to the comcast digital package to get HD channels. True, HD is a digital signal, but that's beside the point.

post #93 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I live near Chicago and have Comcast as well.

Channel 192 is WGN-HD for us.

post #94 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redfin
You don't need to subscribe to the comcast digital package to get HD channels. True, HD is a digital signal, but that's beside the point.
OK, let's clear this up since both you and xboxjunkie are not quite correct about this.

If all you want is HD local channels from Comcast, you need only subscribe to limited basic analog, the least expensive subscription there is. Plus, you will either need to rent Comcast's HD STB or provide your own QAM 256 tuner.

If you want more HD from Comcast than just HD locals, in most (if not all) areas, you also need to subscribe, at a minimum, to the Digital Classic TIER which is usually $9.95 per month extra on top of limited basic and whatever else you subscribe to (although price may vary from one area to another). The TIER is different from the PACKAGE in that the PACKAGE encompasses all analog cable (expanded basic) and thus is more expensive.

Digital Classic will give you ESPN HD, InHD, InHD2, regional sportsnet games in HD (in limited areas), and (soon) Discovery HD.

To get a premium HD channel (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz), you need to subscribe to a package which includes the SD multiplexed versions the channel your want, or to the desired multiplexed channel(s) a la carte.

HOWEVER, in some areas, certain non-local HD channels (such as ESPN HD, InHD or even premium HD's like HBO) may not yet be encrypted (i.e., scrambled). This might be because HD is recent to your area and you are getting a "free preview" or because the necessary equipment for encrypting hasn't been installed or simply because of human error. If a particular HD channel is not encrypted, then you will only need analog basic + HD STB (or your own QAM 256 tuner) to receive it. BUT, if such an HD channel is unencrypted, it could become encrypted at ANY time (including the afternoon before the BIG game or premier movie you want to watch, LOL).

So, one way to approach this is to simply subscribe to limited analog basic + HD STB rental and see what shows up for you unencrypted. Then, if you want to "upgrade" your subscription, tell Comcast which higher level of service you want (but make sure in advance that you don't get charged an "upgrade" installation fee, especially if it does not require a visit to your residence by a tech).
post #95 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

And to add further confusion. Some areas require standard analog service (typically $30-40/mo above limited basic service) before subscribing to any digital packages, while other areas do not.
post #96 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Here in Sacramento, I have the expanded basic analog cable + HD. I get 5 HD channels (NBC, ABC, ESPN, INHD1/2). I'm excited about the news on DiscoveryHD, but am wondering it I am going to have to upgrade to basic digital to get it. I'm also wondering why we don't have CBS yet. Any comments on that?

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #97 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVLovr
I just called Comcast to check on Discovery HD launch here in SF. CSR told me they have not been told anything about it.
Generally, the Comcast CSR's are blissfully under-informed about these things. It might already be on in your area for all they know. Stay tuned to these threads to see when it starts popping-up elsewhere. Ultimately, your exact date may be dependent on your local bandwidth constraints for new channels.

Mickey
post #98 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:20 PM

ccallana,

As SonomaSearcher wrote, you are lucky to get ESPN and INHD1/2 without a digital tier and that you will probably lose them at some point in time.

Here in Atlanta I dropped from Digital basic back to analog and lost ESPN-HD and INHD, but not the HD locals. I then switched to the Digital Starter tier (less expensive than Digital Basic) to get them back. (These tier names are NOT consistent around the country.)

I expect Discovery will be included with ESPN and INHD1/2. So when they add it in your area you will get until you lose all four channels.

Tom
post #99 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 PM

On comcast.com, my local HDTV lineup now says,
DISCOVERY HD THEATER Channel 186 COMING SOON!
That was not there a few hours ago.
post #100 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
OK, let's clear this up since both you and xboxjunkie are not quite correct about this.

If all you want is HD local channels from Comcast, you need only subscribe to limited basic analog, the least expensive subscription there is. Plus, you will either need to rent Comcast's HD STB or provide your own QAM 256 tuner.

If you want more HD from Comcast than just HD locals, in most (if not all) areas, you also need to subscribe, at a minimum, to the Digital Classic TIER which is usually $9.95 per month extra on top of limited basic and whatever else you subscribe to (although price may vary from one area to another). The TIER is different from the PACKAGE in that the PACKAGE encompasses all analog cable (expanded basic) and thus is more expensive.

Digital Classic will give you ESPN HD, InHD, InHD2, regional sportsnet games in HD (in limited areas), and (soon) Discovery HD.

To get a premium HD channel (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz), you need to subscribe to a package which includes the SD multiplexed versions the channel your want, or to the desired multiplexed channel(s) a la carte.

HOWEVER, in some areas, certain non-local HD channels (such as ESPN HD, InHD or even premium HD's like HBO) may not yet be encrypted (i.e., scrambled). This might be because HD is recent to your area and you are getting a "free preview" or because the necessary equipment for encrypting hasn't been installed or simply because of human error. If a particular HD channel is not encrypted, then you will only need analog basic + HD STB (or your own QAM 256 tuner) to receive it. BUT, if such an HD channel is unencrypted, it could become encrypted at ANY time (including the afternoon before the BIG game or premier movie you want to watch, LOL).

So, one way to approach this is to simply subscribe to limited analog basic + HD STB rental and see what shows up for you unencrypted. Then, if you want to "upgrade" your subscription, tell Comcast which higher level of service you want (but make sure in advance that you don't get charged an "upgrade" installation fee, especially if it does not require a visit to your residence by a tech).
Great info, SonomaSearcher, I always appreciate your insight into Comcast HD issues. This should be a sticky in the Local HD area (Ken?). Any input as to projected availability of Discovery HD via Comcast for any particular areas or guesses as to where it might show up first? I would think possibly Philly if they have the bandwidth there.:)
post #101 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I just called Comcast and after asking the girl about Discovery HD she of course told me she had heard nothing about it. However, she then went and asked someone and came back to me and said they had signed a deal but she wasn't sure when the channel would be available. :rolleyes:

She did however acknowledge that it would likely be available within the next month. So, I guess thats cool. I can't wait to get it. :D

Oh yeah, she also mentioned that other HD channels were on the way. She didn't just say this off the top of her head either. She went out of her way to mention it after coming back to the phone and getting her info. She went on to say that not only was Discovery HD coming very soon but others would also follow soon after. It was great to hear that.

If Comcast keeps this up they are going to erase all thoughts of Direct TV from my mind. :D

post #102 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ccallana
Here in Sacramento, ... I'm also wondering why we don't have CBS yet. Any comments on that?
Yes. This boils down to one word: Sinclair.

Do a search for Sinclair and Comcast in the same post, or see the Sacramento thread in the Local Reception forum for more details.

Many people here will have some very negative things to say about Sinclair and justifiedly so, but let's keep this thread on topic and save it for one of the Sinclair threads.
post #103 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerriot
She went on to say that not only was Discovery HD coming very soon but others would also follow soon after. It was great to hear that.
You forgot the cardinal rule of dealing with Comcast. Do not belive what a CSR says about new channels being added in the future.

However, that said, I am sure you will see you local Chicago UPN in HD in time for the fall season, and you will see the new Comcast Sportsnet Chicago channel in HD starting on October 1, 2004. So that's two more in addition to Discovery HD.

Beyond that, no agreements have been announced (officially or unofficially) for new HD channels, and the CSR you spoke to would be the last to know. So don't assume anything other than the above. (There is reason for optimism for HDNet based on JWhip's post above, but remember, it not over until it's over and the fat lady signs on the dotted line.)
post #104 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

JWhip,

In one of the VOOM threads, there was hearsay from a reliable AVS member, which originated with a Cablevision employee, that Comcast was negotiating for rights to some of VOOM's HD channels which might show up on Comcast by the end of the year.

Can you say anything about that?
post #105 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're saying I should have Fox Sports.net in HD this fall? Or were you talking about a different sports channel? I haven't heard anything about this new channel. :)

post #106 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 03:56 PM

Tigerriot, Comcast Sports Net ( at least in the DC area ) does carry alot of FSN programming. However they also have their own as well. For example, they'll show most of the home team games in HD (wizards,orioles,capitals) as an original CSN production. I don't know, however, how this will affect you in your area if you already have an FSN channel that carries your local team games.

Happiness is: Jessica Alba in HD
post #107 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerriot
So you're saying I should have Fox Sports.net in HD this fall? Or were you talking about a different sports channel? I haven't heard anything about this new channel. :)
As Ken H would say, read the HDTV Programming Synopsis. :D
post #108 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jollyrodger
On comcast.com, my local HDTV lineup now says,
DISCOVERY HD THEATER Channel 186 COMING SOON!
That was not there a few hours ago.
YES! Same here (South Jersey), 6:31pm.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #109 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I have heard nothing about Comcast adding any HD carried by VOOM. I have't asked though. However, I would seriously doubt it as most systems do not have the bandwidth necessary to do so. Now that the discovery info is now out, everyone will be looking for more HD announcements from Comcast. The only one I would expect for sure is UPN in the fall. Serious talks have been and are ongoing with HD Net and for once, I have heard favorable reports that the talks have been positive, but by no means is anything imminent, at least as of last week. The head honchos of both have been talking so that is good. I will drop some subtle hints like the last one should I hear anything more.

Louder is NOT better!
post #110 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxman
YES! Same here (South Jersey), 6:31pm.
No such luck here in Sacramento - just checked :( Guess I'll have to keep checking.

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #111 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:46 PM

Quote:

From what I have heard, Comcast or any other provider CANNOT charge extra for HD channels that provide the exact same programming as their SD counterparts. (There was apparently some type of law about this.) Examples being ESPN and TNT. Here in L.A., I have had ESPN for 8 months or so, so I would not categorize it as being a free preview. But I do not have the INHDs as I am subscribed to their expanded analog package.

Discovery HD will surely go the route of the INHDs as they would require you to sign up for a digital package because Discovery HD programming is not parallel to the regular Discovery. I don't see this happening to ESPN-HD or even TNT-HD.
post #112 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:48 PM

My local page sucks, it doesn't .. and never has listed our HDTV channels in their lineup . (is there a seperate lineup Im missing?)

post #113 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zurchguy
My local page sucks, it doesn't .. and never has listed our HDTV channels in their lineup . (is there a seperate lineup Im missing?)
On ours they have a link for Analog and one for Digital - the HDTV stuff doesn't show up on the Analog listing.

post #114 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 04:55 PM

Quote:
On ours they have a link for Analog and one for Digital - the HDTV stuff doesn't show up on the Analog listing.
I hear ya, I've checked both. Nothing

post #115 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

His question was will I be able to get Discovery HD?"
So I answered it with a Digital tier, I don't beleive I was incorrect!
post #116 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:
On comcast.com, click on the top of the page where it says WHAT'S IN MY AREA. Fill out the info until you reach your hometown page. Then under What's New, you'll see HDTV. It will list your channels there.
post #117 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smirnoffski
From what I have heard, Comcast or any other provider CANNOT charge extra for HD channels that provide the exact same programming as their SD counterparts. (There was apparently some type of law about this.) .
I do not believe that is true (especially when you are talking about pay channels such as TNT/ESPN that can offer any service they want)...let us know if you find any evidence of that.

In the Bay Area, Comcast clearly states that ESPN is part of the Extended Basic Package and ESPN-HD is part of the Digital Classic Package (two separate packages with two separate fees)...that being said the channel lineups are still screwed up between the different areas and even packages are miscoded to different end users...your mileage will very, some users just get luckier on the screwups than others (if you arent getting ESPNHD and think you should, I'm sure you'll contact comcast...but if you do get it and think you shouldnt are you going to call and alert them?)
post #118 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xboxjunkie
His question was will I be able to get Discovery HD?"
So I answered it with a Digital tier, I don't beleive I was incorrect!
What was confusing about your post was that you said "Analog won't cut it for HD." However, that is not correct as analog will cut it for HD if all you want is the HD locals-- you don't need Digital Classic for HD locals. Limited analog is all you need.
post #119 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
From what I have heard, Comcast or any other provider CANNOT charge extra for HD channels that provide the exact same programming as their SD counterparts. (There was apparently some type of law about this.) Examples being ESPN and TNT.
This is incorrect. There is no such law. Content providers like ESPN already charge extra for their HD channels (ESPN-HD reportedly costs an extra 75-80 cents per sub). Several cable providers already charge extra for these channels -- as much as $5/mo extra per channel.

Comcast is one of the exceptions -- they do not charge extra (at least, not as a line item on your bill) for these channels, although some may require a digital package. Increased programming costs will be reflected on your bill with the annual or biannual rate increase.
post #120 of 301 Old 06-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

edit: double post
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page