DiscoveryHd on Comcast? When!?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I know its been posted before, can anyone give an update on any news for Comcast getting DiscoveryHD as part of their service? The news about American Chopper HD is great! I just need a way to view it cause I cant get satellite because of LOS issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken H posted "Sometime Soon" in another thread. Perhaps he, or any one of the many other members with Comcast connections (or Discovery connections), can elaborate and/or elucidate.
post #3 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 258
All I can say here is indeed sometime soon!
post #4 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by JWhip
All I can say here is indeed sometime soon!
Are you just blowing smoke or have you heard that something is imminent??
post #5 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Sorry, but I do not come on here to blow smoke. I am sure Ken will vouch for me.
post #6 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I do not come on here to blow smoke. I am sure Ken will vouch for me.
I am not Ken H, but I will vouch based on prior posts.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #7 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

I belive what you got to say. You learn fast enough who is a source of reliable information around here.
post #8 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think we can all vouch for JWhip. He is always very cautious (he won't exaggerate a particular piece of information he might have) so that no one ends up getting disappointed. Of course, his information is as good as his source(s), and his information has always been very reliable (so that tells you his sources are also)!
post #9 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

i'd love to have discovery hd added to our lineup on comcast in north jersey
JWHIP is very reliable guys

Comcast: GET HD-Net!
post #10 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
JWhip,

I think we have certainly learned that what you have to say in this forum is highly reliable and believe me, I appreciate any kernels of info we can get where Comcast HD is concerned. Any ideas if this might be true systemwide or just in NE?

;)
post #11 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

also do you know if the WB is coming just to philly June 1st or north jersey and everywhere as well

Comcast: GET HD-Net!
post #12 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the first positive information from an "in the know" source posted on this board. I know others have posted less encouraging news about DiscoveryHD. I have been extremely pessimistic because Comcast stopped adding channels last December (in Baltimore County). I have posted in other threads this pessimism and I would happily admit my error. If this happens it would mean a lot to me and my wife.

I hope that if it happens in NE it also will be in those areas that have the bandwidth.

Rich N.
post #13 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
JWhip is one of the big Comcast sources we have here. It would be nice to have Discovery, but I still want HDNet and TNT (for basketball) bad. Be nice if Comcast would pick up Encore and TMC.
post #14 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, I miss my HDNet. On the other hand, INHD has golf now...
post #15 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
... great maybe they will pickup Asscar too. Then there is more reason for me not to watch INHD.
post #16 of 301 Old 05-13-2004, 10:00 PM

Liked: 12
If INHD ever gets nascar.... yea that would be REALLY bad. I think they are smarter than that anyways, they have alot of stuff that isn't played often, kinda like HDNet
post #17 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

As part of the discussion on adding Discovery HD, I'm wondering if Comcast will charge extra for it as others do??? Part of the "rumor mill" is that they will not?

Carl Jones
post #18 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I would like HDNET as well, but it is very similar to INHD. In my opinion, INHD getting MLB for 3 games a week was a coup that separates them from HDNET, and it has NBATV HD games as well. I'm not a big hockey fan. INHD does have to work on getting Division 1-A football, Divsion 1-AA is great looking, but the teams are not attractive.

I hope INHD doesn't do NASCAR, they do some wrestling stuff that is just dreadful to me and car racing (though pretty to watch in HD) would be just another lost time for HD viewing.

Nonetheless, it appears that DiscoveryHD is coming. Gosh, after all the screaming I hope it lives up to the hype. I know they have a lot of reruns, but for quite a time those reruns will be new for Comcast subscribers! Also, I thought I read in a previous Comcast Discovery thread (there are several over the past year) that they were going to expand their production capability.

Rich N.
post #19 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
... great maybe they will pickup Asscar too. Then there is more reason for me not to watch INHD.
Hey, that really brought a lot to the conversation, snobby SOB.:rolleyes:
post #20 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I do not come on here to blow smoke.
No offense intended, JWhip, I was just asking for clarification - and making sure you weren't being sarcastic.
post #21 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Whats wrong with NASCAR HD especially if its 5.1. Gotta be better than golf. IMO of course.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #22 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 07:25 AM

If JWhip says so, it's more than likely true.

I'm from the NE region, which is supposedly going to add a LOT of channels in about six months. Obviously, the big question for us is what else will be added. The numbers I've heard reported could absorb all the current "name brands" (Bravo/HDNet/TNT/TMC/Encore) with lots of room left over. Anything to report on that score? (Heading out the door for a weekend trip, so I won't see this thread again until Sun night.)
post #23 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 07:32 AM

Bob,
I'm starting to drool! I hope this tidbit came to you from a reliable source!

Chuck Mullen
post #24 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Mullen
Bob,
It was in this thread....

Comcast ramping up HD channels??
post #25 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bob,
Bob was just citing those channels as his own examples of HD channels that could be carried-- they did not come from any source.

NE is adding capacity for HD and digital channels by eliminating certain analog channels. This does not guarantee it will add any HD channels, unless Comcast or InDemand creates "exclusive" channels such as VOOM has. Reports of HD channels coming in September seem to be coming from Comcast techs in the Boston area who have access to widely circulated company memos about "plans" to add HD channels but not the sensitive information about negotiations for new HD programming or development of new HD channels.

Comcast Bay Area had a similar memo circulate to its techs out here a few months ago which said we would have certain HD channels by April 1st and April 15th. But we did not get those HD channels and there is no hint of when we will get them.

Comcast NE is at the mercy of Comcast corporate HQ in Philly for channels such as Bravo HD, HDNet, TNT HD, Encore HD and TMC HD. Comcast corporate must negotiate contracts for these channels before Comcast NE could carry them. For at least some of these channels, carriage by September looks doubtful (TNT) or extremely doubtful (HDNet).

Comcast NE could easily add the local WB HD and UPN HD, which counts for 2 more HD channels, but other than that there is nothing else it has the right to carry. (If you count the west feeds of HBO HD, Showtime HD, Starz HD and Cinemax HD, that is four more bringing the total to six.)

It probably won't be too difficult to get Encore HD and TMC HD because they are premium channels and Comcast already has contracts for their sister stations Starz HD and Showtime HD, but that depends on the negotiations conducted by Comcast's corporate office.

Perhpas InHD will add the InHD3 channel InDemand has alluded to before. And they can add as many HD PPV channels as InDemand can create by September.

Also NESN could get its separate channel instead of inserting games onto InHD2.

But just remember that adding bandwidth capacity does not mean new HD channels will actually appear. Or they could all be PPV, plus WB and UPN.

(We have plenty of bandwidth out here, but we don't have our local Fox HD, WB HD, UPN HD or an independent local station that has just started sending out HD; nor do we have the East feeds of HBO HD, Showtime HD, Cinemax HD or Starz HD. Nor has our regional sports net gone HD yet [home games scheduled for late June].)
post #26 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blitzen102
It was in this thread....

Comcast ramping up HD channels??
The basis for this thread was a stock market analyst's visit to Comcast NE, where she was told Comcast NE has a plan to eventually get to 30 HD channels (by eliminating analog channels and thereby freeing up bandwidth).

No time estimate was given for such an endeavor. And no specific channels were mentioned.

So you could be talking end of 2005 or later and then only IF they can get the contratual rights to carry that number of channels.
post #27 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
The basis for this thread was a stock market analyst's visit to Comcast NE, where she was told Comcast NE has a plan to eventually get to 30 HD channels (by eliminating analog channels and thereby freeing up bandwidth).

No time estimate was given for such an endeavor. And no specific channels were mentioned.

So you could be talking end of 2005 or later and then only IF they can get the contratual rights to carry that number of channels.
I know - I know. ;)
post #28 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm much less optimistic about BravoHD. Last year when Comcast was adding channels quickly (ESPNHD, INHD1&2, MAXHD, STARZHD, CBSHD,PBSHD from August-December) I thought someone had a letter from Steve Burke (Comcast CEO? I'm old, memory hazy) that BravoHD was not likely. Right now they only have a few shows per day that interest me (I'm not enthusiastic about old TV shows) but they do have ballet, opera, theater etc that we would like.

I hope that in a year these will be academic discussions as HD becomes the "glamour" channel lineup and Comcast as well as other cables plus the sats compete in price and not channel selection.

After Comcast gets DiscoveryHD and its 2-tuner 120 GB HD-DVR we'll see what progress they make in expanding their offerings. I would think ENCOREHD would be a natural, since they have the other movie HD channels. TMC-HD likewise, although I'll never see that (too many movie channels now, will probably drop most when enough HD otherwise).

I'm different than most folks. Except for sports I almost always only watch non-commercial-filled, non-edited-censored shows/movies, so commercial/SD stuff doesn't interest me. That's why I am so interested in BravoHD, but not as much in TNT-HD. Maybe Comcast will have TNT-HD by next NBA season. If the rumored A&E-HD has commercials that would definitely squelch some of my enthusiasm although I know we would like many of the programs.

Rich N.
post #29 of 301 Old 05-14-2004, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

..is WB. Then I get to buy a plasma for the bedroom since the wife likes the WB shows. :)

Chris
post #30 of 301 Old 05-16-2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Bob,
My source on the Comcast conversion to all-digital (which starts in my region) is this article from Rocky Mountain News (note that their source is the CFO!):

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...863847,00.html

As SonomaSearcher has said, the channel names I listed are just me speculating on what they might want to do with all that new space. It just seems to me that any company wanting to stay competitive in this area should be falling all over itself to take advantage of this opportunity to get out in front of the competition by having the most complete line-up of "name brands" available. Why on earth would one not want this? But I'm not in charge, so there could be all kinds of limiting factors I know nothing about.

The most likely candidates would seem to be UPN, Encore, and TMC, who I believe are already covered by contracts in place. From what I can gather, the WB "network" is a programming service for independently-owned stations (at least I can't find references to any "WB Corporate" that could negotiate a national carriage deal), so that will probably be a local issue for the various regions. In our area, giving NESN its own channel is a no-brainer. And since people here are dropping hints concerning Discovery, that seems likely as well.

Long term, I would hope that the ongoing conversion will not only benefit the existing channels, but also prompt a lot more of the marquee SD channels to firm up their plans for entering the fray. Turner Classic Movies would be great for this medium (they already run info pieces on why OAR is best!), and I'm sure you can all think of others.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page