post #271 of 1537 Old 06-19-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Memphis is an O&O, and it wouldn't make much sense to go through the expense of upgrading then provide no signal strength. Unless their power is reduced because of reasons beyond their control - the only thing that would meka sense is that they would boost power in time for HD in the fall.
You'd think that, wouldn't you? But they swore for over a year they'd be on their new tower last September so everyone could see the fall programming, and almost a year later still no one sees anything. So I'm not holding my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1537 Old 06-19-2004, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks foxeng for the info. For that matter, thanks for all your helpful and informative posts!

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #273 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by chroma601
Thanks foxeng for the info. For that matter, thanks for all your helpful and informative posts!
Thanks. I have to admit I did want to make a crack about "yes you will be able to see the Eagles lose again in the NFC Championship game in HD," (OK, I will admit I am a BIG Panthers fan) but thought better not. No need to get something started. There will be plenty of time for that! ;)

SIDEBAR: If you were watching the morning news on WTXF the Friday before the NFC Championship Game, their morning people did a thing with our morning people around 7:30 I think it was where we had both stations on each others air at the same time. That was a lot of fun! Both sides picking on each other about who would win. Of course George Mallet used to work at WTVD in Raleigh and WTVD shares news stories with us, so it was a real kick to see him again.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #274 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wiggo
You'd think that, wouldn't you? But they swore for over a year they'd be on their new tower last September so everyone could see the fall programming, and almost a year later still no one sees anything. So I'm not holding my breath.
There is a chance I guess. I have no knowledge (don't know any one over there) but in Milwaukee, which the O & O there has a low power no one could see, they are in the throws right now of moving their antenna to their main tower and raising the antenna to 1000 ft I thought I saw them say. (they hope to have it back on next week I hear) So don't give up hope.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #275 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
There is a chance I guess. I have no knowledge (don't know any one over there) but in Milwaukee, which the O & O there has a low power no one could see, they are in the throws right now of moving their antenna to their main tower and raising the antenna to 1000 ft I thought I saw them say. (they hope to have it back on next week I hear) So don't give up hope.
Sounds like Milwaukee and Memphis are in the same boat. And I'm not giving up hope. OTOH, I'm setting up to get D* this summer so I can get NFL Sunday Ticket plus the national Fox HD feed (since I am at least in an O&O market).
post #276 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thall85
Clear Channel stations-

My local Fox station is one of seven Clear Channel- owned stations. Awaiting a response back from the local chief engineer on my inquiry. Browsing the list on the first page, none of the seven CC Fox stations appears:

WXXA- Albany, NY (55)
WAWB- Jacksonville, FL (52)- digital now
KLRT- Little Rock, AR (56)- digital now
KCBA- Monterey/Salinas, CA (121)- digital now
KKFX- San Luis Obispo, CA (119)
KOKIO- Tulsa, OK (60)- digital now
KSAS- Wichita, KS (67)- digital now

Anyone in these markets have any news on CC's intentions?
thall85,
Little Rock AR, KLRT-DT (channel 30, not ch 56) is full power 1,000kW 1080i, and has been since they began broadcasting. They are ready for FOX-HD and will switch from 1080i to 720p when FOX-HD begins.

ClearChannel's UPN sister station in Little Rock, KASN-DT is also full power 1,000kW 1080i, broadcasting UPN-HD network programs. For more info, see the Little Rock, AR local thread HERE.
post #277 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For FOXENG:

FOX NY was down for a few days and now they are back in stretch mode. What gives?
post #278 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dm145
For FOXENG:

FOX NY was down for a few days and now they are back in stretch mode. What gives?
I have no info. A guick guess would be something to do with combiner on the ESB?

post #279 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Foxeng, have you heard anything concerning how far along the installers are, re: what percentage of installs have been completed?

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #280 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AFH
Foxeng, have you heard anything concerning how far along the installers are, re: what percentage of installs have been completed?
No, I am pretty much out of that loop now that we are installed. I was told that there are 5 install crews and each crew does 2 stations a week, Sunday travel, Monday/Tuesday install, Tuesday/Wednesday travel, Thursday/Friday install/travel, repeat with every third week off for the installer team. That means 10 stations a week. These guys are busting hump on these systems and there is a TON of stuff that has to be done and to get it all done in two days is pretty amazing to watch.

Best guess is that it will take until December to get everybody done because of the shear scope of the project. Along with this project is the FOX dish repoint project that has to be completed at the end of the month since FOX is moving from T-5 and T-6 for network delivery to Gal 3C, Gal 4R (or is it Gal 3R, Gal 4C? I can't remember!) I was talking to one of the network guys Friday had they had a chance to do any work with the splicers yet and he said no that they were too busy with the dish repoint and they were DAMN glad Thomson/GVG were doing the installs because they were SWAMPED. So there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes to make all this work on time.

post #281 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, I am pretty much out of that loop now that we are installed. I was told that there are 5 install crews and each crew does 2 stations a week, Sunday travel, Monday/Tuesday install, Tuesday/Wednesday travel, Thursday/Friday install/travel, repeat with every third week off for the installer team. That means 10 stations a week. These guys are busting hump on these systems and there is a TON of stuff that has to be done and to get it all done in two days is pretty amazing to watch.

Best guess is that it will take until December to get everybody done because of the shear scope of the project. Along with this project is the FOX dish repoint project that has to be completed at the end of the month since FOX is moving from T-5 and T-6 for network delivery to Gal 3C, Gal 4R (or is it Gal 3R, Gal 4C? I can't remember!) I was talking to one of the network guys Friday had they had a chance to do any work with the splicers yet and he said no that they were too busy with the dish repoint and they were DAMN glad Thomson/GVG were doing the installs because they were SWAMPED. So there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes to make all this work on time.
Thanks. I glad that these people are humping it big time to get this job completed. I just wish that some individuals at some of the local stations would take time to answer a question or two. The sooner that I now our Fox affil is done the less questions I'll have about this.

Foxeng, I can't thank you enough for at least taking time to help people on this forum as much as you can. I know that folks in your line of work can get swamped, but for you to even give replies to questions asked here says alot.

post #282 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Along with this project is the FOX dish repoint project that has to be completed at the end of the month since FOX is moving from T-5 and T-6 for network delivery to Gal 3C, Gal 4R (or is it Gal 3R, Gal 4C? I can't remember!)
You had it right the first time.

Quote:
SYNDICATION STAYS ANALOG ON TELSTAR THROUGH MONTH OF JUNE:

Satellite Relations: Telstar 5 (old)= Galaxy 4R (new) Telstar 6 (old) = Galaxy 3C (new)

Transponder Relations: Telstar transponder 10 = Galaxy 19, Telstar transponder 13 = Galaxy transponder 18.

Starting Thursday, June 3rd all FOX "ANALOG" syndication feeds previously available on Galaxy 4R transponder 18 and Galaxy 4R transponder 19 will be temporarily discontinued. In their place, digital syndication feeds will be available via your digital network receivers on Galaxy 4R transponder 18 on your "A" FOX digital receiver, and Galaxy 4R transponder 19 on your FOX "B" digital receiver. If you are currently using an antenna to receive the ANALOG syndication feeds down on Telstar 5 transponder 10 and/or 13, please continue to do so. Those feeds will be unaffected.
post #283 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Arrested Development on Fox?
WTTG-DT has gone to 720p

Arrested Development sure looks HD to my eyes. Is there any way to tell or is it just that widescreen 480p upscaled to 720p looks better?
post #284 of 1537 Old 06-20-2004, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

widescreen 480p upscaled to 720p looks better
post #285 of 1537 Old 06-21-2004, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Not until they meet the minimum criteria, on air 720p signal.
I talked to them a couple weeks ago and they're looking at sometime in '06 for even digital. Mother network would give them HD FREE if they were at least digital but they blew it. Great huh ?:-(

Seems they and the other network affilliates in that area formed some sort of "coalition" to construct their towers together. They therefore have little in the way of competion between themselves to get up and running. That's fine but they also squawk and whine over any possibility that a satellite provide might want to get a distant HD network signal to you.

Call your congressman. SHIVEA is the only chance. The House is doing markups this week. The Senate has already got their version and it DOES NOT HELP HD ON SAT at all. The only hope is the House, since they did at one time have a clause in their version about Satellite companies being able to provide an HD distant network if the affilliate could not.

The broadcasters are fighting it tooth and nail and frankly, they have the power right now. Because this is an election year, many congress people are trying to get the NAB to provide more campaign air time - guess what the broadcasters want in return ?????
WaltinVt

A moral wrong is not a civil right
post #286 of 1537 Old 06-21-2004, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by waltinvt
Seems they and the other network affilliates in that area formed some sort of "coalition" to construct their towers together. They therefore have little in the way of competion between themselves to get up and running.
It's not uncommon for the local affiliates to share the tower expense to save some bucks. Unfortunately that means that they will just wait until everyone's ready to upgrade before any of them do anything.

They probably don't consider HDTV's numbers to be high enough yet to really offer a competitive advantage - especially in the area of most distinction - the local news.
post #287 of 1537 Old 06-21-2004, 03:50 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Cpanther, I have an update for you concerning the Jax Fox affil WAWS 30. I spoke with the chief engineer today and he informed me that they have not rec'd the equip from Fox as of yet, but that he hopes to have it by the end of the summer. He also went on to inform we that Fox will be broadcasting hd shows in the fall!:rolleyes: Really! Glad he informed me about that.:rolleyes:

Take his end of summer reply for what it's worth, which at this point is worth sh*t.

post #288 of 1537 Old 06-21-2004, 03:50 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Cpanther, I have an update for you concerning the Jax Fox affil WAWS 30. I spoke with the chief engineer today and he informed me that they have not rec'd the equip from Fox as of yet, but that he hopes to have it by the end of the summer. He also went on to inform we that Fox will be broadcasting hd shows in the fall!:rolleyes: Really! Glad he informed me about that.:rolleyes:

Take his end of summer reply for what it's worth, which at this point is worth sh*t.

post #289 of 1537 Old 06-21-2004, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltinvt
Call your congressman. SHIVEA is the only chance.
Did I stumble into the wrong thread? I thought this was the FOX HD readiness thread, not the SHIVA thread.

post #290 of 1537 Old 06-22-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where *is* the SHIVA/SHIVEA/SHIVERA thread?
post #291 of 1537 Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

post #292 of 1537 Old 06-22-2004, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks
post #293 of 1537 Old 06-22-2004, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another SHIVA thanks.
post #294 of 1537 Old 06-22-2004, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Updated.
post #295 of 1537 Old 06-22-2004, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
foxeng, I am very disappointed in you.
For someone who does so much scolding over what you consider to be those who (in your eyes at least) misstate facts in this forum, how can you keep referring to the legislation as "SHIVA"?
It is, in the Senate, SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewer Information Act).
It is, in the House, SHVERA (Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act).
Bottom line: if you are going to profess to know so much about what Congress has done in the past and is going to do in the future, at least use the correct terminology.
post #296 of 1537 Old 06-23-2004, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fredfa
foxeng, I am very disappointed in you.
For someone who does so much scolding over what you consider to be those who (in your eyes at least) misstate facts in this forum, how can you keep referring to the legislation as "SHIVA"?
It is, in the Senate, SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewer Information Act).
It is, in the House, SHVERA (Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act).
Bottom line: if you are going to profess to know so much about what Congress has done in the past and is going to do in the future, at least use the correct terminology.
Enjoying yanking my chain? Ever heard of a typos? (actually lazy typos)

As you pointed out above, it is called different things by each house of Congress. Until it is finally a law (and they decided on what they want to call it), call it whatever you want. :)

post #297 of 1537 Old 06-23-2004, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hey Fredfa...

No need to get your nickers into a twist. Foxeng gives us lots of information that we couldn't get elsewhere. No need to get testy.
post #298 of 1537 Old 06-23-2004, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Hey ursa99:

I agree that foxeng's information about what Fox has told him they are going to do is very good.
It is when he veers headfirst into legislative or other areas (where his knowledge is often nowhere near as great) that he gets into trouble.
It is possible that many on this board, because they have seen he knows so much about Fox, believe that knowledge necessarily carries over into other areas (like governmental regulation, for one example).

as for:
"...Until it is finally a law (and they decided on what they want to call it), call it whatever you want."

If that kind of arrogant reply came from someone about his precious Fox network, we would see a blistering reply.
The fact is each house of Congress has names they call their bills. (It is an easy way to tell if we are discussing the Senate or the House version.) Yet neither of those names is what foxeng has decided to call the legislation.
In my mind, the fact that foxeng generally does provide good information makes him even more responsible to get all of his information right.
And as I said, I was disappointed by his lack of interest in naming the Congressional stuff correctly.
Since he is a tech guy I would have expected precise accuracy to be more important to him.

Now, if you read that as testy, so be it.
It wasn't -- and isn't -- meant to be.
And thanks for worrying about my knickers.
post #299 of 1537 Old 06-23-2004, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I won't belabor the point but I stand by my statement. I still think there is no need to be testy. We are here to share information in what I hope can be a respectful manner.
post #300 of 1537 Old 06-23-2004, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fredfa
Hey ursa99:

I agree that foxeng's information about what Fox has told him they are going to do is very good.
It is when he veers headfirst into legislative or other areas (where his knowledge is often nowhere near as great) that he gets into trouble.
Guess you don't want to talk about the couple of doosies I have caught you in.

ursa99,

fredfa doesn't really bother me. He thinks because he was in broadcasting years ago and he lives in LA, no one else could possible know more then he. So be it. He is a harmless teddy bear and I know it!

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page