FOX HD - Affiliate List and Upgrade Schedule - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There's a number of Sinclair Fox affiliates who have had the splicer installed.

Sinclair O&O FOX Affiliates with splicer installed:
  1. Pittsburgh, PA
  2. Columbus, OH
  3. San Antonio, TX
  4. Buffalo, NY
  5. Dayton, OH
  6. Oklahoma City, OK
  7. Des Moines, IA
  8. Paducah, KY

Sinclair O&O FOX Affiliates without splicer installed:
  1. Baltimore, MD
  2. Nashville, TN
  3. Richmond, VA
  4. Flint, MI
  5. Lexington, KY
  6. Rochester, NY
  7. Syracuse, NY
  8. Madison, WI
  9. Tri-Cities, TN-VA
  10. Peoria, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what are the steps an affiliate takes to get all of this done-in laymen's terms?
How complicated is it to do the upgrade?
post #543 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 PM

Speaking for the Flint DMA, the FCC database still says they're in the application stage...and they aren't even broadcasting DTV yet, so I'm not holding my breath. Hope I can pull in a few distant FOX stations that are set up come Sept. 12th.
post #544 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Write a check and get the station capable of 720p pass-through. Then call Fox and ask them to install the free splicer - and get on their installation schedule.
post #545 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GenoV
Speaking for the Flint DMA, the FCC database still says they're in the application stage...and they aren't even broadcasting DTV yet, so I'm not holding my breath. Hope I can pull in a few distant FOX stations that are set up come Sept. 12th.
That Sinclair list is from a list of O&O's and doesn't factor in their DTV status so some of those may be much closer to getting HD-Ready than others.
post #546 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM

For those of us that are in the NYC market but cannot get a stable OTA signal (100+ miles away) that sucks. I pay $200+ for Sunday Ticket and I can't even watch the Giants in HD because WNYW-HD is not yet in the D* lineup, even though Fox-HD was promised months ago by D*. I have no problem w/ the ST blackout rule if the same broadcast quality (HD) was available elsewhere on D*, like the SD broadcast was last season.
post #547 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RDJR
For those of us that are in the NYC market but cannot get a stable OTA signal (100+ miles away) that sucks. I pay $200+ for Sunday Ticket and I can't even watch the Giants in HD because WNYW-HD is not yet in the D* lineup, even though Fox-HD was promised months ago by D*. I have no problem w/ the ST blackout rule if the same broadcast quality (HD) was available elsewhere on D*, like the SD broadcast was last season.
At 100 miles away, aren't you in a white area?
post #548 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:39 PM

CPhanther95 - White area?? If you are talking about for blackout rules, all of the NY teams are considered our home teams. Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Isles and Devils. Funny you should ask. Last night the Yankees-Twins game on ESPN HD was blacked out. I had to watch in SD on YES. If there is something I could do to change this please let me know. I am about 105 miles north of Mid-Town Manhattan.
post #549 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RDJR
CPhanther95 - White area?? If you are talking about for blackout rules, all of the NY teams are considered our home teams. Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Isles and Devils. Funny you should ask. Last night the Yankees-Twins game on ESPN HD was blacked out. I had to watch in SD on YES. If there is something I could do to change this please let me know. I am about 105 miles north of Mid-Town Manhattan.
These are two different types of blackouts. The Yankees game was blacked out on ESPN (and ESPN-HD because you are in the Yankees "home territory" which includes all of NY state. This has nothing to do with receivability of network affiliates.

If you really can't receive any OTA stations (doesn't matter whether they are analog or digital) where you live, you should be able to get all of the feeds via ST.
post #550 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to the local Sinclair engineer and he told me that Sinclair was putting a big push on their stations that were FOX and ABC to get them HD because of football and to get them full power. The WB Sinclair owned in the next market has just started to do 16:9 with 4:3 side curtains so something is happening somewhere in Sinclair.

If that is true, then relief is on the way for those viewers in those markets.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #551 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:53 PM

Thanks jckessler. Now I understand.
post #552 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to the local Sinclair engineer and he told me that Sinclair was putting a big push on their stations that were FOX and ABC to get them HD because of football and to get them full power. The WB Sinclair owned in the next market has just started to do 16:9 with 4:3 side curtains so something is happening somewhere in Sinclair.

If that is true, then relief is on the way for those viewers in those markets.
Boy, I hope this is true. Knowing that football and 24 are HD this year and not being able to watch it as such will kill me.
post #553 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 01:13 PM

I spoke with Fox 45 in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and they were installing the splicer then so I am sure it is installed now. They are not doing widescreen right now, but expect to be ready for HD this fall.

Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
There's a number of Sinclair Fox affiliates who have had the splicer installed.

Sinclair O&O FOX Affiliates with splicer installed:
  1. Pittsburgh, PA
  2. Columbus, OH
  3. San Antonio, TX
  4. Buffalo, NY
  5. Dayton, OH
  6. Oklahoma City, OK
  7. Des Moines, IA
  8. Paducah, KY

Sinclair O&O FOX Affiliates without splicer installed:
  1. Baltimore, MD
  2. Nashville, TN
  3. Richmond, VA
  4. Flint, MI
  5. Lexington, KY
  6. Rochester, NY
  7. Syracuse, NY
  8. Madison, WI
  9. Tri-Cities, TN-VA
  10. Peoria, IL
post #554 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
They were on the schedule, but should have been installed by now. If you got that info within the past few days, let me know. If not, see if you can get ahold of him again and see if the story is the same.

Same with Huntsville, AL - any word received now would be more accurate than the data I had which was looking out into the future a bit. If my data was correct, it should have been installed by now.
I just got off the phone with a friend over at WZDX (Huntsville). He is at their new tower site and is going to get in touch with the Chief Engineer to see what the status is. I'll update when I find out.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #555 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 03:22 PM

Somebody put a beacon on the trucks with the splicer. :) They need to get East in a hurry. If Nashville is installed by football season I will be thrilled.

Jerry

Jerry
post #556 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

There's more than one crew and they've been East a number of times already.
post #557 of 1537 Old 08-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Anyone have any inside info on Albany, NY? We are told it would be ready for football season, 9/12, but this Splicer talk has me worried.

There Can Be Only One...

Sony KDL-55EX723
Sony STR-DN1000 Receiver
Playstation 3
Time Warner Cable WH HD DVR
DTV HD DVR
Xbox 360
post #558 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 AM

Last night's game was a perfect example of the local Sinclair Fox's blow off of the HD viewers.
I am aware that the game wasn't in HD but we get nothing but the same
480i SD picture-no widescreen,no nuttin'.
Could this be happening because this is an AFC city and the station's management feels that no one really cares anyway if it's not a Titans game? Is the NFC a non-factor to these guys? Have they decided that the upgrade to HD is all bogus anyway?
S*** I hope that's not the case. If it is the case I wonder what'll happen to other programming from the network local management might not like.
(Don't poo-poo that,when All in the Family was in first run the local CBS affiliate decided not to show it here since it would warp our minds.I don't think it ran here until year three!)
Our Fox affiliate won't (or hasn't yet) respond to e-mails inquiring about the splicer install date etc. We don't know if they've even notified Fox to get an install appointment.
Is D** going to put up the Fox HD national feeds in time for opening kickoff for those of us who qualify?
Is the NHL going to play?
Hell-I've lost it.
Too much TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too much forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I kinda liked AVP.
post #559 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Unless their heads are buried in the sand, they know the interest in the NFL is high anywhere in the US, and even higher in NFL cities (even across conference lines).
post #560 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stsrep
Last night's game was a perfect example of the local Sinclair Fox's blow off of the HD viewers.
I am aware that the game wasn't in HD but we get nothing but the same
480i SD picture-no widescreen,no nuttin'.
Could this be happening because this is an AFC city and the station's management feels that no one really cares anyway if it's not a Titans game? Is the NFC a non-factor to these guys? Have they decided that the upgrade to HD is all bogus anyway?
S*** I hope that's not the case. If it is the case I wonder what'll happen to other programming from the network local management might not like.
(Don't poo-poo that,when All in the Family was in first run the local CBS affiliate decided not to show it here since it would warp our minds.I don't think it ran here until year three!)
Our Fox affiliate won't (or hasn't yet) respond to e-mails inquiring about the splicer install date etc. We don't know if they've even notified Fox to get an install appointment.
Is D** going to put up the Fox HD national feeds in time for opening kickoff for those of us who qualify?
Is the NHL going to play?
Hell-I've lost it.
Too much TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too much forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I kinda liked AVP.
The affiliates that don't do widescreen already are supposed to go straight to HD. Since this game wasn't sent out in HD, even if your affiliate is already with the splicer, you wouldn't get it in widescreen, as the splicer is an entirely new and separate system from the existing widescreen infrastructure.
post #561 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billharris4
No kidding. As long as those guys are using a coat hanger for a broadcast tower, it really doesn't matter what resolution they're broadcasting in.
I emailed KTBC-DT to see if we'll be able to see the Cowboys this season in HD.

Quote:
Thanks for your inquiry. We will not be boosting the signal for the near future. The system is at maximum capability as it is now. We are looking at boosting the power before May 2005, the FCC imposed deadline.

Thanks
Ken Smith
KTBC, Fox-7
Maximum capacity at .8 Kw?
post #562 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 11:04 AM

I get my Fox programming from Fox 12 in Portland, OR. They are a meredith broadcast station. They stated yesterday that they will be HDTV ready by mid-october. Which means if the use the fudge factor for time, it might be January or February before it gets up and running. Good thing I have Directv ST for football.
post #563 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
As another poster noted, the OKC Fox channel has installed the Fox splicer. Last night's exhibition game was its inaugural run and it worked to perfection. In fact, I at first thought that what I was seeing was true HD instead of 480 widescreen. There were some signal problems during the first two or three minutes of the telecast but they soon disappeared and stayed gone. Here in OKC at least Fox is off to a very good start and there appears to be no reason why they can't broadcast in HD here from the git-go.

As a final note I should report that I watched the game OTA because Cox OKC won't start to carry the local Fox station's digital signal until Fox cuts over to HD next month.
post #564 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by gwsat
As a final note I should report that I watched the game OTA because Cox OKC won't start to carry the local Fox station's digital signal until Fox cuts over to HD next month.
As I stated in the other thread, network has the splicers locked out and by-passed right now so they can't be used yet. What you saw was NOT through the splicer.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #565 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
As I stated in the other thread, network has the splicers locked out and by-passed right now so they can't be used yet. What you saw was NOT through the splicer.
foxeng -- As I pointed out in that thread, what you say here seems to be at odds with what an engineering rep of the local Sinclair stations posted on another board last night. A clarification would be appreciated, because I don't know nothing 'bout no "splicers," :)
post #566 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know anything about Rapid City, SD (KEVN)? I am moving there in two weeks and I hope they are working on it since it isn't on this list.
post #567 of 1537 Old 08-20-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Feddie
Does anyone know anything about Rapid City, SD (KEVN)? I am moving there in two weeks and I hope they are working on it since it isn't on this list.
Nobody knows but the station, but the #174 market is not likely - soon anyway. #147 is the smallest market (Lubbock, TX) that is a non O&O that is ready.
post #568 of 1537 Old 08-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jesmith1263
I get my Fox programming from Fox 12 in Portland, OR. They are a meredith broadcast station. They stated yesterday that they will be HDTV ready by mid-october. Which means if the use the fudge factor for time, it might be January or February before it gets up and running. Good thing I have Directv ST for football.
Where are you getting this information? I've been unable to find any postings on this forum detailing an announcement on August 19th that their readyness had been pushed back to mid-October.

Last I'd read, which was late last month/early this month, they were planning to have all of their own equipment in house by late August, to be installed within the following weeks, and hopefully have everything up and running by the end of September. I sincerely hope this is the case, I am going to be pissed if I miss any HD Arrested Development.
post #569 of 1537 Old 08-22-2004, 08:21 AM

I called FOX 12 in Portland, OR on 19 Aug asking about the fall line up and if we in Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA will be able to watch it in HD. They stated that FOX-HD programming should be up and running by mid October.
post #570 of 1537 Old 08-22-2004, 08:34 AM

Here in Kansas City the Fox station is a Fox O&O. They have the splitter but only have a 1.1Kw signal (I've seen light bulbs with more wattage). We're thinking of have a tailgate party in their parking lot so we can see FOX-HD. Cable can't carry them since they can't receive their signal. Almost enough to make me switch back to D* but have too much money tied up in E* equipment. Football alone not enough to overcome WAF. Now if they put American Idol in HD I might get her approval.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page