AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Fox has 26 O&O's ?!?
FOX Network affiliates yes. When you count the FOX UPNs and the one lone FOX owned independent, it is 35 total.

FYI here is a listing of the FOX owned UPN affiliates that are NOT getting the splicer: (UPN uses the "traditional" method of HD delivery)

KTXH-20: Houston
KCOP-13: Los Angeles
WFTC-29: Minneapolis
WWOR-9: New York
KUTP-45: Phoenix
WRBW-65: Orlando
WUTB-24: Baltimore
WDCA-20: Washington D.C.
WPWR-50: Chicago

And the one independent that is also NOT getting the splicer:

KDFI-27: Dallas

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
I'll re-define the list to reflect your definition "splicer installed" will be considered HD-Ready. Until confirmed otherwise, I'll assume 720p broadcast only - splicer not yet installed.
You currently have a * - Splicer not installed next to WRGT-DT Dayton. This is incorrect. As I indicated in my earlier post, the HD splicer is installed at WRGT-DT. Again, I know this for a fact, as I was in communication with a station engineer at the time who was involved with getting things ready for the splicer installation crew(whom were actually present at the station doing the work during some of our communication), as well as getting things setup for sending Fox WS from WRGT-DT for the first time.

HDC + other Folks with Sinclair Owned or operated Fox affiliates :

WRGT-DT is operated by Sinclair, as is Sinclair O&O WKEF-DT Dayton, which is Co-located with WRGT-DT and has had NBC HD since the first day they came on the air(for 2002 HD winter Olympics.

WRGT-DT was not sending/upconverting to 720p, or Fox Widescreen (it was a single 480i SD 4x3 program service - using the Same Video the Analog was sending - which is easily evident, as for a long time there has crease all the way across the screen to left of Fox bug) until a day before the folks installing the Splicer system arrived. So, maybe there could be some sort of hope for other Sinclair owned Fox affilates including WDKY-DT, but for various reasons you're probably aware of concerning WDKY-DT, I wouldn't necessarily count on it ... I do know Sinclair O&O ABC affilate WSYX-DT does ABC HD, and their co-located, Sinclair operated affiliate WTTE-DT Fox Columbus has sent at least some Fox WS, I'm not sure which ATSC screen format.

The engineers at WKEF/WRGT had told me a while back they had received equipment to automate switching for both digital stations(which is now occuring), as well as a upconverter for WRGT local programming - which was what they needed in order to "pass anything through Fox sends us" as they put it. They were sending the same video on WRGT-DT as was on the analog, so, I don't know any details concerning the STL involved. I assume WRGT-DT already had a HD capable encoder, especially as WRGT-DT has been on Sinclair's "HD-ready" list for a long time(see list at link below), even though prior to 5/10, they were only sending 480i 4x3 SD.

http://www.sbgi.net/business/markets/dayton.shtml

Jeff
Old 06-05-2004, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KDFI in DFW is a Fox owned independent. It doesn't carry the network. That's on KDFW which has been 720p enabled for a couple of months. KDFI is channel 27 not channel 4 as mentioned above..
Old 06-05-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitewatchman
You currently have a * - Splicer not installed next to WRGT-DT Dayton. This is incorrect.
Updated.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AMorrison
KDFI in DFW is a Fox owned independent. It doesn't carry the network. That's on KDFW which has been 720p enabled for a couple of months. KDFI is channel 27 not channel 4 as mentioned above..
You are right, my bad. Typo and stuck it in the wrong list. That is what happens when you can't cut and paste! Both FOX and UPN/Indie lists are correct now. (unless someone else finds a screw up!)

I can't ever remember if it is Houston or Dallas with the indie. Both markets are duopoly's and that doesn't help my brain any!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
KTXL-Sacramento, CA has the splicer installed.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spwace
KTXL-Sacramento, CA has the splicer installed.
Tell videojanitor his website is gone. Did he forget to pay the bill? ;)

Old 06-05-2004, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
FYI here is a listing of the FOX owned UPN affiliates that are NOT getting the splicer: (UPN uses the "traditional" method of HD delivery)
Here in Jacksonville there is no UPN affiliate but the local Fox station WAWS broadcasts the UPN prime time starting at eleven. Does that mean I might start seeing Enterprise in HD again or does the new equipment probably not help this?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Old 06-05-2004, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
Here in Jacksonville there is no UPN affiliate but the local Fox station WAWS broadcasts the UPN prime time starting at eleven. Does that mean I might start seeing Enterprise in HD again or does the new equipment probably not help this?

- Tom
You are out of luck unless the FOX station has the UPN HD equipment installed and I am assuming some way to record 1080i and then play it back at 720p since UPN sends 1080i.

The FOX equipment is a "down stream" device and doesn't help for local produced or recorded HD.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
There is a note on it that says do not remove before August 2, 2004. Someone may have been playing with to see if was still working. (I will have to resist the temptation myself!:mad: )
LOL :cool: Maybe they need to add a "enclosed security device" for Foxeng's ;)

Anyhow, thanks to Cpanther95 for making up the list+to everyone participating. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas ....

Jeff
Old 06-05-2004, 12:34 PM

Anyone know anything about WDAF FOX4 in Kansas City?

They are a Fox O&O and will be 720p, but very few of the viewers in KC will be able to receive it.

They are only broadcasting at 1kw from 150 feet. :rolleyes:
Old 06-05-2004, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas ....
Me too, Fall 2004 won't come any faster, but during those unbearably long periods of time where nothing significant is happening in HD - I'll enjoy watching this list grow. It gives me the false impression that HD is spreading like wild fire. In only 3 1/2 hours we've gone from 1 city to 15 - HD is really taking off :D
Old 06-05-2004, 12:48 PM

Don't know about OTA, but WTVT in Tampa is in 720p on Comcast cable down in Venice, FL ! ! !

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC
Hippster - I assume that was the issue, I didn't take time to review the tape. We haven't had a problem since that I know of.

I switched us to 720p today, our new switching equipment is being installed. For the time being this is upconverted 720p, we are still receiving Fox at 480p and cranking it up.

We should be true 720p by the end of June.

Theoretically you shouldn't have to rescan the channels. My receivers (pro and consumer) locked on in a couple of seconds.

If you have any problems post them here so everyone can compare notes.

Thanks for your input
jon
That is what the engineer at KSAS in Wichita posted in their thread. I believe you can add them and KAAS which is basically the same station.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:58 PM

FOXENG,

We live in Oklahoma City and at this point our Sinclair operated Fox station is only broadcasting digital at a very low signal, but we have heard that they are about finished with installing all the new equipment that will allow them to go full power. How can we find out if they will be upgrading to be able to broadcast HD? Thanks

wbcollegekid

Samsung LN52B750, Samsung HLM5065 DLP, Pioneer elite DV-47A, JBL S series, Onkyo TX-SR 606, monster HTS 5000, , HTPC (win7, ATI 5750, 9.8 terabytes, OC 2.6 quadcore), HD-A20/A35, PS3, HR21-200.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drcos
Don't know about OTA, but WTVT in Tampa is in 720p on Comcast cable down in Venice, FL ! ! !
I have been told WTVT was commissioned in mid April.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wbcollegekid
FOXENG,

We live in Oklahoma City and at this point our Sinclair operated Fox station is only broadcasting digital at a very low signal, but we have heard that they are about finished with installing all the new equipment that will allow them to go full power. How can we find out if they will be upgrading to be able to broadcast HD? Thanks

wbcollegekid
I have no info on them. You might want to call the station and ask for the Engineering Department and ask them. If you talk to anyone else, you may not get an informed answer. This is something that the Engineering Department would be over.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

What's the story for WRAZ - Raleigh.

They've been HD capable for quite a while - but at 1080i, I believe. Will they have to switch to 720p? If so, when?
Old 06-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
WJW - 8 in Cleveland was upgraded a little over a week ago.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:00 PM

XETV-DT (Fox 6) in San Diego has been broadcasting in 720p since last year but their transmitter is in Tijuana, Mexico. Since they weren't even required by the FCC to convert to DTV let alone upgrade to 720p, I see no reason that they would stop there and not get the splicing equipment installed. They even got a 325(b) waiver from the FCC in 1994 to allow live broadcasts from FOX network to be transmitted across the border from their studios in San Diego to their transmitter in Mexico so they could show the NFL games live. What is the splicer for? Does XETV-DT really need it to show the live NFL games in 720p? They showed all of FOX NFL games live last season and were broadasting them in 720p (upconverted from FOX network's widescreen 480p feed). Wouldn't they just need to pass the signal when FOX starts providing the 720p feed?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deArgila
What's the story for WRAZ - Raleigh.

They've been HD capable for quite a while - but at 1080i, I believe. Will they have to switch to 720p? If so, when?
WRAZ has been 720p for quite a while. I haven't heard if their spicer has been installed yet.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exieramos
XETV-DT (Fox 6) in San Diego has been broadcasting in 720p since last year but their transmitter is in Tijuana, Mexico. Since they weren't even required by the FCC to convert to DTV let alone upgrade to 720p, I see no reason that they would stop there and not get the splicing equipment installed. They even got a 325(b) waiver from the FCC in 1994 to allow live broadcasts from FOX network to be transmitted across the border from their studios in San Diego to their transmitter in Mexico so they could show the NFL games live. What is the splicer for? Does XETV-DT really need it to show the live NFL games in 720p? They showed all of FOX NFL games live last season and were broadasting them in 720p (upconverted from FOX network's widescreen 480p feed). Wouldn't they just need to pass the signal when FOX starts providing the 720p feed?
FOX will not be sending HD to the stations in the same method the other networks do. If you check the HDTV FAQ, I believe it is, there is a nice description of how FOX is doing it.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
So, maybe there could be some sort of hope for other Sinclair owned Fox affilates including WDKY-DT, but for various reasons you're probably aware of concerning WDKY-DT, I wouldn't necessarily count on it ... I do know Sinclair O&O ABC affilate WSYX-DT does ABC HD, and their co-located, Sinclair operated affiliate WTTE-DT Fox Columbus has sent at least some Fox WS, I'm not sure which ATSC screen format.
Well I could forgive the WDKY power problems if they passed the HD signal ... but somehow, I get the impression that WDKY is at the bottom of Sinclair's priority list ...

HDC
Old 06-05-2004, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Well I could forgive the WDKY power problems if they passed the HD signal ... but somehow, I get the impression that WDKY is at the bottom of Sinclair's priority list ...

HDC
No, I would argue the fact that WXLV, the Sinclair ABC in my market is at the bottom. No HD AND a power REDUCTION!

Old 06-05-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Tell videojanitor his website is gone. Did he forget to pay the bill? ;)
Nah. That was a "limited time offer," only for invited guests, like yourself. ;)

--Bill R.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
Quote:
No, I would argue the fact that WXLV, the Sinclair ABC in my market is at the bottom. No HD AND a power REDUCTION!
Humm ... I don't know.... WDKY's Signal strength/quality has recently dropped from around 72% to barely 40% on my E86. We could have a tie :D Then again, no HD from an ABC affiliate *is* pretty inexcusable at this point.

HDC
Old 06-05-2004, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd have to vote that WDKY-DT 4 has to be awfully near the bottom .... Take a look at WDKY-DT STA's antenna pattern on FCC site (7.5 KW ERP STA) :

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/polarplot...04&p360=0.182&

Might be easier to make out the values under the STA listed here:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...&mlon2=&slon2=

... For the most part it shouldn't be much of a problem with a decent set of rabbit ears if you're South of their tower, towards their small COL of Danville, KY -- Their antenna is at a decent height too ... But, if you're North of their tower(where most of their potential viewers are, in Lexington, KY area) ...... It has to be one of the worst situations I could think of ... Even the Bundy's "Fox viewing posistion" won't help much ...

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Well I could forgive the WDKY power problems if they passed the HD signal ...HDC
You must be on the South side of their tower If you're saying something like that ;) ... Hey, that is the direction of their COL, so they are "legal" (no matter, from what I've seen that their local news coverage seems to pretty much ignore Danville+concentrate on Lexington), and my understanding also is they ran into all kinds of problems with tower issues, as they had(have) been trying to relocate their tower, and they also filed a petition to change channels to 22 ... So I suppose it's somewhat understandable what they're currently doing with their STA ...

Still, the way things are are the way things are ... No matter I suppose that most of their viewers are to the north of the tower, in Lexington, KY (and getting squrited as little as 1.47 WATTS ERP in their direction(310 degree true bearing from their tower), and no more than a couple of hundred watts ERP at most (directly North - 248 watts ERP)) ...

BTW, -- To figure ERP from the relative field values for antenna pattern's shown on FCC site - it's :

Relative field value in direction you're looking at SQUARED Times Max ERP(equates to a relative field value of 1.000) -- For example - for the .014 Field value shown for 310 degree bearing from their tower (.014 x .014) x 7500 Watts = 1.47 Blistering watts ERP(effective Radiated Power) ...

Look at it this way ... IF they are, by some miracle -- ready for the Fox HD upgrade, you might be end up being the ONLY viewer that sees it ;-)

Jeff
Old 06-05-2004, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
I guess I'm confused. I thought Fox in N.Y. was the HD feed for the other Fox affiliates downstream. Wouldn't they have to have their center all geared up for HD prior to anyone else passing the HD feed?
Old 06-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

KTVU - San Francisco is 720p. Don't know about the splicer.

Carl
Old 06-05-2004, 03:02 PM

WITI-6: Milwaukee

Receiving 720p from my location, OTA. Said to be on Time Warner Cable as well.

Not sure about the splicer ... foxeng ?

Todd.

Home of the Milwaukee HDTV Users Group
www.milwaukeehdtv.org