post #91 of 1537 Old 06-06-2004, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by oxothuk
foxeng - does the upgrade do anything to facilitate filling in the program guide, or is that completely a responsibility of the local affiliate? My local station (KDVR, which is an O&O) never has anything in the guide except a dummy entry for "MCC Service 1".
No, the EPG data and PSIP data is the stations, not network's domain. I don't know any of the O & O's are doing EPG's. That software has been in flux for the last several years and until if becomes more stable and some of the new auto populate functions from the traffic programs become more prevalent, I don't see the O & O's having it. We don't have it and I was told that is why we don't.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:55 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when will WFXT(25) - Boston, MA*increase its power
post #93 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radco
when will WFXT(25) - Boston, MA*increase its power
Someone asked this question to me several months ago. Best I can tell looking at the FCC website, they requested a power increase in 2000 and the FCC hasn't approved it yet. I suspect because of the proximity to Canada. When a station makes a change that might effect stations in Canada, it has to go through both governments. The FCC has a few in this category along the Canadian and Mexican borders. WFXT is not the only one.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #94 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
foxeng:

Do you know how many total affiliates there are? I count about 175 on Fox's website, but that does not include the satellite affiliates (like KAAS). Do you know the total?
post #95 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 08:04 AM

A few weeks ago I had noticed that the upconverting on Fox here in Grand Rapids got a lot better. I assumed that they had made the transition and the newer equipment accounted for the much better upconvert. I swear, some upconverted shows look very close to HD at this point. Can't wait for them to 'turn it on'.
post #96 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alphadude
Does anyone have any info on WAGA and when they are getting their equipment?

Directv H20-600 to Panasonic PT-47WX51(ISF Calibrated) Usually viewing HD and DVDs from 8' to 10' away.
post #97 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
foxeng:

Do you know how many total affiliates there are? I count about 175 on Fox's website, but that does not include the satellite affiliates (like KAAS). Do you know the total?
Last count I heard was 196 but that includes LPTVs that DON'T have digital channels and new stations that came on as analog after the digital table of assignments werer created and didn't get two channels assigned that will have to convert to digital on their analog channel sometime down the road.

Also, we just received our splicer equipment. It is in house and I am looking at it as I am typing this. The installers are to be here tomorrow so by Wednesday afternoon, WGHP should be ready.

post #98 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have no direct knowledge but WAGA should be up and running this month something.

post #99 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 09:07 AM

Any news on Fox 17 Nashville? Sinclair has purchaced some HD equipment. Does anyone know if the splicer was included in the purchase? Will Sinclair really broadcast in 720p this September?
post #100 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 09:09 AM

Shouldn't you be in court or working?
post #101 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I have another problem. I have Comcast, so not only is there the issue of Sinclair's Fox45 in Baltimore actually going HD (I've heard two different sources say they will) but also getting the signal on Comcast (they want compensation for a free OTA signal from cable companies). I'll be missing lots of HD sports this fall. Rats.

Rich N.
post #102 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Still some "high-priority" NFC cities missing:

Minneapolis
New Orleans
Atlanta
St. Louis
Seattle

Missing AFC cities:

Buffalo
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Nashville
Kansas City

Anyone in these cities know if FOX is 720p yet?
post #103 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 04:04 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Minneapolis
New Orleans
Atlanta
St. Louis
Seattle

Missing AFC cities:

Buffalo
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Nashville
Kansas City

The engineer over at our Fox affil hasn't checked into our (Jacksonville) local thread in about 4 weeks, so I couldn't tell you if the splicer has been installed or delivered. The last time the engineer checked he mentioned that he hadn't rec'd anything as of that time. Could he have rec'd something since then, sure, but at this point I'm not certain. I'll give him a shout-out over in the local thread to see if he can respond with an answer.

At the minimum we should have it before the Super Bowl is held here in Jax.:D Lets see, Jacksonville will host the SB and ACC football championship game all in 2005, a good year for football in Jax. What more could you ask for with beautiful model-type chicks (literally and figuratively), good weather, relaxation, beaches and partying in J'ville and that's before those games get here. It's gonna be nice in Feb and Dec of 05.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #104 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
No, the EPG data and PSIP data is the stations, not network's domain. I don't know any of the O & O's are doing EPG's. That software has been in flux for the last several years and until if becomes more stable and some of the new auto populate functions from the traffic programs become more prevalent, I don't see the O & O's having it. We don't have it and I was told that is why we don't.
foxeng,

The Detroit affiliate is using EPG data to send the program guide. I know because it causes my Samsung T-165 to crash. If I let it keep rebooting it will eventually tune the station after 5-10 minutes. I also have a HiPix card so it's not that big a deal for me.

The reason I know the program guide is the problem is because when the guide has no data I can tune right in. A couple months ago the remapping feature was off so when I tuned to channel 58 it didn't remap to 2-1 and once again I could tune right in.

I called Samsung and they said their box follows ATSC standards and it's the station's fault. I haven't called my Fox station yet.

Rick
post #105 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by AFH
The engineer over at our Fox affil hasn't checked into our (Jacksonville) local thread in about 4 weeks, so I couldn't tell you if the splicer has been installed or delivered.
Have you noticed if the signal is 720p yet?
post #106 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 04:14 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Have you noticed if the signal is 720p yet?
Well, I posted over in the local thread on Friday night that the pq looked for the movie that was on that night looked much better than I had seen it look. I speculated over in the local thread that it looked upconverted but I wasn't sure. I can without a doubt say that the pq was much better than when I watch SW ATOC two months ago.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #107 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not until they meet the minimum criteria, on air 720p signal.
Hmmm... so if my local station only gives out 480p right now on the enhanced definition shows, you guys won't give them equipment?

Go Broncos!
post #108 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
Hmmm... so if my local station only gives out 480p right now on the enhanced definition shows, you guys won't give them equipment?
The equipment from FOX isn't all that's necessary for pass-through of HD. If they're not going to upgrade to a 720p stream, the splicer won't do any good.
post #109 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rf22
I called Samsung and they said their box follows ATSC standards and it's the station's fault.
Best take that with a grain of salt. Here in Denver we Samsung owners have frequently had problems when the local stations (and not our Fox affiliate) were experimenting with EPG and PSIP features. Funny how people with STBs from other manufacturers were not affected.

Obviously there is more than one way to read the ATSC specs.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #110 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 75
samsung has recently issue firmware upgrades that correct a lot of these problems. While it is possible the station has PSIP configuration issues,
that is not always the case. Details should be on the Samsung Website
I'm told.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #111 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The equipment from FOX isn't all that's necessary for pass-through of HD. If they're not going to upgrade to a 720p stream, the splicer won't do any good.
Is it possible or likely that they have the ability to do 720p, but haven't yet?

They do 480i with bars on the sides for SD programmnig, and 480p for enhanced definition shows.

Go Broncos!
post #112 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
Is it possible or likely that they have the ability to do 720p, but haven't yet?

They do 480i with bars on the sides for SD programmnig, and 480p for enhanced definition shows.
Just a WAG, but I'd think if they had it they would fire it up and make sure all the bugs are out ??? I also don't know if FOX schedules them for the upgrade on a certain date and they have the luxury of waiting a bit before worrying about it. The only way you'd get an early indication of their intentions is if one of the FOX guys tells us that they must have the upgrade to 720p complete before FOX will even add them to the schedule. If so, you'll know not to expect anything quickly as long as they are sending 480p.
post #113 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Minneapolis
New Orleans
Atlanta
St. Louis
Seattle

Missing AFC cities:

Buffalo
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Nashville
Kansas City

KTVI in St. Louis (a Fox O & O station) is now sending out 720p. I believe it happened about two weeks ago.
post #114 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

worthless El Paso station KFOX isn't even doing ED, just a 4:3 SD digital transmission (and a second digital channel that is nothing but a black screen).

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #115 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 07:50 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcadNut
WITI-6: Milwaukee

Receiving 720p from my location, OTA. Said to be on Time Warner Cable as well.
You must live within a block of WITI. I'm in Tosa and there is zero digital signal coming from WITI. It's good to read that foxeng is stating they'll be ready for the fall HDTV season but when on earth are they going to power up that signal for the rest of us? Will that be ready for the fall season too?
post #116 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Missing AFC cities:

Cincinnati

Don't have much news concerning Fox Cincinnati -- but here goes:

I'm pretty sure WXIX-DT Fox Cincinnati is still upconverting Fox WS/etc. to 1080i(I have no way to tell for sure with my equipment, though -- other than with my eyes) -- haven't heard anyone else from the area mention a change, though. So, don't think they've had the splicer upgrade yet -- I could be wrong though. Wouldn't think they'd go back to 1080i afterwards, but thats just a guess.

The Engineer I spoke to at WRGT-DT Dayton when the folks from Fox were there doing the splicer upgrade DID say that he had talked to WXIX's CE concerning the splicer upgrade and letting him know what they(WRGT) had needed to do to get ready for the upgrade, as he had called them at WXIX to ask what they were doing concerning a aspect ratio issue involving Fox widescreen programing, as WRGT-DT at the time had also just started passing through Fox WS for the first time.

Also, AVSforum member DrDon, who has talked to the WXIX folks recently had informed us on the Cincinnati thread (here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...73#post3862973 ) that WXIX has recently been working on doing some upgrades to their Master Control room.

Probably not very helpful info at this point, but there you go.

---------------------------------

Update: I forgot to mention earlier --- It was pretty cool, when I was talking to the guy at WRGT-DT, you could tell he was genuinely excited about the goings on with the upgrade, as well as the work he had been doing on the DT station. I really enjoyed hearing that, and I'd bet Foxeng is enjoying himself presently as well :cool:

Jeff
post #117 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The only way you'd get an early indication of their intentions is if one of the FOX guys tells us that they must have the upgrade to 720p complete before FOX will even add them to the schedule.
They must tell FOX of their intentions to go 720p and when they will do it before it is scheduled.

post #118 of 1537 Old 06-07-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
All the FOX O & O's WILL be HD ready by Sept 12th. Many already are. Here is a listing of the FOX O & O's:

KTBC-7: Austin
Cool. But will they boost their OTA signal past .8 KW? :rolleyes:
post #119 of 1537 Old 06-08-2004, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_fowler99
Cool. But will they boost their OTA signal past .8 KW? :rolleyes:
I can't say.

post #120 of 1537 Old 06-08-2004, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
worthless El Paso station KFOX isn't even doing ED, just a 4:3 SD digital transmission (and a second digital channel that is nothing but a black screen).
Londo,

The second channel is for the national feed i.e prime time shows and sporting events it is 16:9 ED. Try tuning in during prime time, I watch Arrested Development. Malcolm in the Middle, Simpson's and others all the time on that channel not to mention a majority of the Cowboys games last year. I sure hope they get the 720P upgrade before the upcoming football season.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page