post #451 of 12058 Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Porkula View Post

I wish they'd upgrade the Weather Channel to HD.

Bully for you. But why did you post this here??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 12058 Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well for us in the West Coast we can only dream about the next HD channel. We still have no TNT-HD.
post #453 of 12058 Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

Well for us in the West Coast we can only dream about the next HD channel. We still have no TNT-HD.

And on Bay Area 550MHz "poverty" systems, we still don't even have the 2 INHDs, HDSE, or Showtime-HD. "The Leader In HDTV Programming" my ass...
post #454 of 12058 Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Porkula View Post

I wish they'd upgrade the Weather Channel to HD.

Weather channel is available in HD here, just look out the window.

Just kidding, couldn't resist...
post #455 of 12058 Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm not sure which west coast you're on, but here in Los Angeles, we've had TNTHD for quite some time.
post #456 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko View Post

I'm not sure which west coast you're on, but here in Los Angeles, we've had TNTHD for quite some time.

Really??? If so, you are the first person west of Texas on the Comcast system that says that they get TNT-HD. It seems to me that West LA is serviced by Adelphia.....

Bobby 

post #457 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

We've had TNT-HD in Utah since early MAY (just before the NBA playoffs)

Michael.
post #458 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Really??? If so, you are the first person west of Texas on the Comcast system that says that they get TNT-HD. It seems to me that West LA is serviced by Adelphia.....

With an attitude like that you "Really" look stupid when you do not know what you are talking about.
post #459 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

And on Bay Area 550MHz "poverty" systems, we still don't even have the 2 INHDs, HDSE, or Showtime-HD. "The Leader In HDTV Programming" my ass...

Yikes, so what is your HD tier without counting locals or premium movie channels, just ESPNHD, and Discovery. Do you have to pay for it??
post #460 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko View Post

Same West Coast as you . From reading in here, a lot of west comcast cable systems have not had TNTHD. So maybe it should read that most west comcast systems still do not have TNTHD.
post #461 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

With an attitude like that you "Really" look stupid when you do not know what you are talking about.

Really , it was not my intent to look stupid, even if it might be right. I live in Northern CA, and belong to the Bay Area Comcast AVS group. We've been having some discussion over time about the lack of TNT-HD. I also belong to several other boards, and the discussion has always come around to the lack of the channel and perhaps it had to do with the lack of a TNT-HD West feed. This very thread over time has expressed just that. The post that I jumped on is, in fact, the first I have ever heard of a west coast city that carried TNT-HD.

Mea culpa.....

Bobby 

post #462 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Really , it was not my intent to look stupid, even if it might be right. I live in Northern CA, and belong to the Bay Area Comcast AVS group. We've been having some discussion over time about the lack of TNT-HD. I also belong to several other boards, and the discussion has always come around to the lack of the channel and perhaps it had to do with the lack of a TNT-HD West feed. This very thread over time has expressed just that. The post that I jumped on is, in fact, the first I have ever heard of a west coast city that carried TNT-HD.

Mea culpa.....

It wasn't your credentials I was questioning. It was more the tone...!

I mentioned the west coast TNT-HD in #400, allthought it was in a different context.

So let me rub it in a little more...!

I cannot remember when exactly we got it, but I remember seeing some of the last NBA games of the season. "Closer" was one of the first series in HD on TNT, and it was in excellent HD quality.

Unfortunately HD for TNT means HD all the time. Everything is stretched to 16:9 even if it wasn't produced in HD format. Even the ads are stretched...! Shows produced within the last year in HD are fine, but it's NOT fine to stretch fine old episodes of the X-files.

As mentioned earlier the British Open and other HD sports transmissions are amazing in TNT-HD.
post #463 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yikes, so what is your HD tier without counting locals or premium movie channels, just ESPNHD, and Discovery. Do you have to pay for it??

This is what I have on my 550mhz in Pittsburgh:
HD "tier":
ESPN
Discovery
INHD1

All locals (Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS)
EDIT: I think our UPN and WB's are broadcasting in HD at least OTA but I barely count those.

Premiums:
HBO
SHO
MAX
STARZ

Oh and there's usually one or two HD movies available thru On Demand.
No HD PPV.

No $$ charge for HD.

It sucks but is better than OTA only...
post #464 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's it, and, we don't have Showtime-HD either. You need Digital Classic to get the 2 channels although up until yesterday they were un-encrypted and could be seen with just a Basic Cable subscription and a QAM-capable tuner.

Pretty pathetic offering, in fact, IIRC, the last time I counted the channel lineup here we have more analog channels than digital channels. I am not aware of any Comcast system that has less than we do here.

Oh yeah, we pay the same price as the folks who get everything, I believe this is done to make sure we don't forget how screwed our cable system is..can't let the customer get the idea that Comcast would be fair about services vs cost or anything..
post #465 of 12058 Old 10-13-2005, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mea culpa.....

You know, months ago in the SF thread I think I mentioned that TNT-HD was in LA and I got shot down on it. I think someone has said they have it in Seattle as well.

I knew I didn't just pull that out of my butt...
post #466 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You know, months ago in the SF thread I think I mentioned that TNT-HD was in LA and I got shot down on it. I think someone has said they have it in Seattle as well.

I knew I didn't just pull that out of my butt...

Sorry, no TNT-HD here in Seattle. Actually, no new HD since Discovery HD about a year ago.
post #467 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

This is what I have on my 550mhz in Pittsburgh:
HD "tier":
ESPN
Discovery
INHD1

All locals (Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS)
EDIT: I think our UPN and WB's are broadcasting in HD at least OTA but I barely count those.

Premiums:
HBO
SHO
MAX
STARZ

Oh and there's usually one or two HD movies available thru On Demand.
No HD PPV.

No $$ charge for HD.

It sucks but is better than OTA only...

I'm fortunate enough to be on a "non-poverty" Comcast system (I don't remember the exact MHz) in the Pittsburgh area - Greensburg PA to be exact. The additions to the above in our system are:

INHD2
TNT-HD
Local WB (but that may be on the 550 MHz systems too)

Now, if we could only get ESPN2HD, the HDNet's, FSN-HD, and Universal HD.
post #468 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

There may be something new for North NJ subs. There is a new menu option labeled "MoviePass-HD." Right now, there are no listings but one assumes that there will be soon. In addition, they are also offering RING 2 (both theatrical and unrated editions) in HD via Pay-Per View. A drop in the bucket, but better than nothing (which is all they previously offered).
post #469 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
MoviePass-HD? Maybe it's based on Blockbuster's monthly rental fee system. If so they're going to need a lot more HD movies.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #470 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusnak View Post

There may be something new for North NJ subs. There is a new menu option labeled "MoviePass-HD." Right now, there are no listings but one assumes that there will be soon. In addition, they are also offering RING 2 (both theatrical and unrated editions) in HD via Pay-Per View. A drop in the bucket, but better than nothing (which is all they previously offered).

This is what I love about AVS. Great info, and thanks for posting that. Sounds interesting.

I'll bet 90% of Comcast employess don't even know about this.
post #471 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmaninseatown View Post

Sorry, no TNT-HD here in Seattle. Actually, no new HD since Discovery HD about a year ago.

Thanks. Discovery is the only thing we've had in about a year also.
post #472 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidbuck View Post

Comcast is negotiating for ESPN2HD and UniversalHD. So I'm hopeful about those.

Food Network HD? Is that actually in existence? HGTV-HD, NatGeoHD etc are all projected to start in 2006. Will Comcast carry them? Probably, but not at startup. Figure about a year after they start so new contracts can be negotiated (these contracts cover non-HD channels with HD as a part). It is the (non-) price Comcast subscribers pay for not having a separate HD Tier that is separately-priced.

That is why HDNET is so unlikely on Comcast. The cost would require a price increase. They don't raise prices to pay for new HD channels (at least they haven't yet).

Rich N.

i'm all for pricing it separately. to get HD for "free", in most areas, you need to subscribe at least to a digital tier, which is usually $10 more than Basic + Expanded, with a lot of crappy channels added in. if i had a choice, i'd probably stick to just Basic + HD.
post #473 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch View Post

i'm all for pricing it separately. to get HD for "free", in most areas, you need to subscribe at least to a digital tier, which is usually $10 more than Basic + Expanded, with a lot of crappy channels added in. if i had a choice, i'd probably stick to just Basic + HD.

I was for an HD Tier originally as well. Comcast chose to offer HD national channels without a Tier. But it would soon become impractical to change their philosophy. If Comcast initiated an HD separately-priced tier now so we could get HD channels (especially HDNETs) more quickly by paying for them, two things would happen:

1. When new agreements were needed, those channels we get free now ($5 for the HD STB and $5 more if we want DVRs plus a digital package) will want to be on the Tier and get more money;

2. People who were getting INHDs, ESPN (maybe ESPN2?)HD, DiscoveryHD, TNT-HD, UniversalHD (soon?) will be upset if those channels moved to the Tier.

So we have to accept the long waits for them as Comcast negotiates agreements for them that allows them to be included in just our digital and HD STB prices (except for the local HDs).

Rich N.
post #474 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 12:15 PM

I don't know how these things work, but I would presume that there was a really good reason why Comcast opted to not charge customers extra for HD. They don't get anything out of people switching to HD, so it's not like it's in their best interest to have people watching HD. When I first got my HD set, Comcast not charging for HD was just a bonus -- I was going to get it through them no matter what, even if there was an additional fee.

It is very un-Comcast-like to not jump at the opportunity to charge subs extra fees.

If it would allow for greater variety in HD programming (TNT, ESPN2, HDNet, YES HD, etc.), I'd be all for paying an additional monthly fee for an HD tier.

-jim
post #475 of 12058 Old 10-14-2005, 12:22 PM

I agree with memnoch, I think (assuming I am reading what you said right). To get HD you have to pay for the box ($5+$5 for the DVR) which I assume they are making SOMETHING on. Plus, you have to go the digital packages. In my area, that costs me $12 extra. I would NOT get it if it wasn't for the HD channels. My only theory is that they make enough from the digital tier upsell to cover the HD expenses.

Personally, I'd like an HD tier, if I could get it without additional SD digital content. Give me all the HD I have now (ESPN, INHD1/2, TNT, local affiliates, and Discovery). Add in a regional HD sports channel (FoxSports, for me), and an HD movie channel of my choice (so, for example, if you picked HBO you would get the regular analog HBO signal and HBO HD but not HBO2, etc). Charge say $15 for it and I'd buy, assuming they were 'committed to adding more HD content whenever available'.
post #476 of 12058 Old 10-16-2005, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If they keep charging $6 per HD movie nobody is going to buy them.

OK, now, will someone please give in and get HDNET on NOW!?!?!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #477 of 12058 Old 10-22-2005, 02:31 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post

I agree with memnoch, I think (assuming I am reading what you said right). To get HD you have to pay for the box ($5+$5 for the DVR) which I assume they are making SOMETHING on. Plus, you have to go the digital packages. In my area, that costs me $12 extra. I would NOT get it if it wasn't for the HD channels. My only theory is that they make enough from the digital tier upsell to cover the HD expenses.

Exactly, I wouldn't have a Digital package, either, if it weren't for HD 'Cable' channels.

I look at Digital Classic as effectively the HD Tier.
(I actually opted for Digital Plus, for a couple of channels, but it adds no HD.)

Note: you don't need a Digital package for HD Locals or Premium HD channels.
post #478 of 12058 Old 10-22-2005, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I get all the HD channels without a digital package in Baltimore, - INHD, etc. But you do need the box for $5 a month. DVR capability is an additional $10.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #479 of 12058 Old 10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Note: you don't need a Digital package for HD Locals or Premium HD channels.

This depends on where you live. Where I live you do need a digital package.
post #480 of 12058 Old 10-27-2005, 03:24 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

This depends on where you live. Where I live you do need a digital package.

With Comcast, you don't need a digital package for HD Locals, but one or more MSOs have a Digital Gateway fee of $3 for the Guide.

As for Premiums, it is an FCC mandate that says you can get Premium multi-plexed channels a la carte, with just STB rental, if needed.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page