Comcast HDTV - Page 260 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7771 of 12118 Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastampton NJ, South Jersey
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

How come every other area seems to have gotten Fox News, FX and Speed together but here in Western MA we only got Fox News and FX? I've been waiting patiently for Speed so what the heck happened.

Be thankfull you got them. I do not have any of them.
Daniel Murray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7772 of 12118 Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Member
 
donn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a list of the current lineup for the city of Chicago:

169-NFL Network
171-AMC
173-ESPN
174-MOJO (will be Versus HD on December 8, 2008)
175-History Channel
176-TLC
177-Sci-Fi Channel
179-HGTV
181-Food Network
183-WCIU (Independent)
184-WPWR (My Network Tv)
185-Showtime
186-HBO
187-WLS (ABC)
188-WMAQ (NBC)
189-WBBM (CBS)
190-WFLD (FOX)
191-WTTW (PBS)
192-WGN (CW)
195-Cinemax
196-Starz
197-Disney Channel
198-ABC Family
199-Versus/Golf Channel (will be Golf Channel HD on December 8, 2008)
200-Comcast Sportsnet
203-ESPN 2
204-TNT
205-HD Theater
206-National Geographic Channel
207-Universal
208-A&E
209-Palladia
212-Science Channel
216-CNN
218-Discovery Channel
219-TBS
221-USA
224-Animal Planet
226-Cartoon Network
227-Hallmark Movie Channel
229-Lifetime Movie Network
231-ESPNews
234-NHL Network
235-NBA TV
237-Speed Channel
256-Big Ten Network
257-Starz Kids & Family
258-Starz Comedy
259-Starz Edge
261-Planet Green
262-E!
263-Encore
264-Fox Business Channel
265-Fox News Channel
266-CNBC
267-FX
269-Biography (BIO)
270-The Weather Channel
278-Bravo
279-Fuse
280-IFC
281-We
282-QVC
283-Toon Disney
284-MGM


At the moment Chicago has a total of 65 HD channels with more to come. So Boston, how many do you have?
donn35 is offline  
post #7773 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Member
 
bigpatky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orem, UT
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well that's 28 more than i get in utah
bigpatky is offline  
 
post #7774 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sparkman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: was Waukegan,Il, now Cookeville, Tn
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These are the ones that they are getting in the City that we AREN'T getting up here:


226-Cartoon Network
227-Hallmark Movie Channel
229-Lifetime Movie Network
231-ESPNews
234-NHL Network
235-NBA TV
237-Speed Channel
257-Starz Kids & Family
258-Starz Comedy
259-Starz Edge
261-Planet Green
262-E!
263-Encore
264-Fox Business Channel
265-Fox News Channel
267-FX
269-Biography (BIO)
270-The Weather Channel
283-Toon Disney
284-MGM

I think the only channel positions of these that we actually have other channels using right now are 262-264, duplicates of the Fox college sports channels on 413-415, & 267 a duplicate of Fox Soccer Channel on 401
Sparkman87 is offline  
post #7775 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Member
 
chambemd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the Boston list as far as I've compiled it...

771 HBO HD
772 HBO Family HD East
773 HBO Latino HD
774 HBO Comedy HD
775 HBO Zone HD
776 More MAX HD
777 ActionMax HD
778 5 Star MAX HD
779 ThrillerMAX HD
780 WMAX HD
781 @MAXHD
782 OuterMAX HD
785 Encore HD
788 Lifetime Movie Network HD
789 Fox Business News HD
790 Hallmark Movies HD
791 QVC HD
792 Toon Disney HD
793 Fuse HD
794 Bravo HD
795 CNBC HD
796 ESPN News HD
797 Biography HD
798 IFC HD
799 Women's Entertainment (WE) HD
802 WGBH HD (PBS HD)
804 WBZ-DT Boston (CBS-HD)
805 WCVB-DT Boston (ABC-HD)
806 WFXT-DT Boston (Fox-HD)
807 WHDH-DT Boston (NBC-HD)
808 WLVI-DT Boston (CW-HD)
814 WSBK-DT Boston
815 Planet Green HD
819 MGM HD
821 National Geo HD
822 NHL HD
823 Discovery HD
824 Disney HD
826 ABC Family HD
828 Palladia HD
830 FX HD
831 TBS HD
832 HGTV HD
833 TNT HD
834 E! HD
835 USA HD
837 A&E HD
839 HD Theatre
841 Fox New Channel HD
842 CNN HD
846 Universal HD
847 The Weather Channel HD
848 Versus /Golf HD
849 ESPN HD
850 ESPN 2 HD
851 NESN HD
852 Comcast Sportsnet NE HD
853 NFL Network HD
854 Food HD
859 AMC HD
860 Cartoon Network
862 SciFi channel HD
863 Animal Planet HD
866 Science Channel HD
867 TLC HD
868 Cinemax HD
870 HBO HD
871 HBO2 HD
872 History HD
873 Starz! Edge HD
874 Starz! Kids & Family HD
875 Starz! HD HD
876 Starz! Comedy HD
877 Showtime HD
878 Showtime Too HD
879 SHOCD
880 Showtime Extreme HD
881 Mojo
883 The Movie Channel HD
884 The Movie Channel 2 HD
885 Big 10 Network HD

Note that HBO HD is duplicated twice right now, so it looks like the total is 80. Randomly, in looking at the Comcast channel guide, 887 is showing as the Travel Channel already so another may be on the way.
chambemd is offline  
post #7776 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Member
 
donn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambemd View Post

Here's the Boston list as far as I've compiled it...

771 HBO HD
772 HBO Family HD East
773 HBO Latino HD
774 HBO Comedy HD
775 HBO Zone HD
776 More MAX HD
777 ActionMax HD
778 5 Star MAX HD
779 ThrillerMAX HD
780 WMAX HD
781 @MAXHD
782 OuterMAX HD
785 Encore HD
788 Lifetime Movie Network HD
789 Fox Business News HD
790 Hallmark Movies HD
791 QVC HD
792 Toon Disney HD
793 Fuse HD
794 Bravo HD
795 CNBC HD
796 ESPN News HD
797 Biography HD
798 IFC HD
799 Women's Entertainment (WE) HD
802 WGBH HD (PBS HD)
804 WBZ-DT Boston (CBS-HD)
805 WCVB-DT Boston (ABC-HD)
806 WFXT-DT Boston (Fox-HD)
807 WHDH-DT Boston (NBC-HD)
808 WLVI-DT Boston (CW-HD)
814 WSBK-DT Boston
815 Planet Green HD
819 MGM HD
821 National Geo HD
822 NHL HD
823 Discovery HD
824 Disney HD
826 ABC Family HD
828 Palladia HD
830 FX HD
831 TBS HD
832 HGTV HD
833 TNT HD
834 E! HD
835 USA HD
837 A&E HD
839 HD Theatre
841 Fox New Channel HD
842 CNN HD
846 Universal HD
847 The Weather Channel HD
848 Versus /Golf HD
849 ESPN HD
850 ESPN 2 HD
851 NESN HD
852 Comcast Sportsnet NE HD
853 NFL Network HD
854 Food HD
859 AMC HD
860 Cartoon Network
862 SciFi channel HD
863 Animal Planet HD
866 Science Channel HD
867 TLC HD
868 Cinemax HD
870 HBO HD
871 HBO2 HD
872 History HD
873 Starz! Edge HD
874 Starz! Kids & Family HD
875 Starz! HD HD
876 Starz! Comedy HD
877 Showtime HD
878 Showtime Too HD
879 SHOCD
880 Showtime Extreme HD
881 Mojo
883 The Movie Channel HD
884 The Movie Channel 2 HD
885 Big 10 Network HD

Note that HBO HD is duplicated twice right now, so it looks like the total is 80. Randomly, in looking at the Comcast channel guide, 887 is showing as the Travel Channel already so another may be on the way.





You guys in Boston has 15 more HD channels than Chicago, what the heck? I am going to refer this information to Comcast's Chicago Office about adding the missing channels-most are all the premiums. Chicago still doesn't have The Movie Channel HD or Showtime 2 HD.
donn35 is offline  
post #7777 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
mgpt6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
List is only in the City of Boston and Brookline itself,not in the burbs of Eastern Mass, List is only half the size in the subburbs of Boston.
mgpt6 is offline  
post #7778 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Newbie
 
Gene Plantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL USA
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donn35 View Post

Here is a list of the current lineup for the city of Chicago:


278-Bravo
279-Fuse
280-IFC
281-We
282-QVC


Are you actually getting these channels?? I see them in my Tivo list but when I select them, I get nothing.
Gene Plantz is offline  
post #7779 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sparkman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: was Waukegan,Il, now Cookeville, Tn
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Plantz View Post

Are you actually getting these channels?? I see them in my Tivo list but when I select them, I get nothing.

Yes, those 5, along with 266 - CNBC, showed up in my lineup yesterday & I was able to watch all 6 last night. I am in Waukegan and do not have the entire lineup that was posted for the City of Chicago. Those 6 channels are all new here as of yesterday.
Sparkman87 is offline  
post #7780 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
pianoman41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Western MA USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amazing how just a few miles west in the same state we get a lot less. I've bolded what we get in Western MA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambemd View Post

Here's the Boston list as far as I've compiled it...

771 HBO HD
772 HBO Family HD East
773 HBO Latino HD
774 HBO Comedy HD
775 HBO Zone HD
776 More MAX HD
777 ActionMax HD
778 5 Star MAX HD
779 ThrillerMAX HD
780 WMAX HD
781 @MAXHD
782 OuterMAX HD
785 Encore HD
788 Lifetime Movie Network HD
789 Fox Business News HD
790 Hallmark Movies HD
791 QVC HD
792 Toon Disney HD
793 Fuse HD
794 Bravo HD
795 CNBC HD
796 ESPN News HD
797 Biography HD
798 IFC HD
799 Women's Entertainment (WE) HD
802 WGBH HD (PBS HD)
804 WBZ-DT Boston (CBS-HD)
805 WCVB-DT Boston (ABC-HD)
806 WFXT-DT Boston (Fox-HD)
807 WHDH-DT Boston (NBC-HD)
808 WLVI-DT Boston (CW-HD)
814 WSBK-DT Boston
815 Planet Green HD
819 MGM HD
821 National Geo HD
822 NHL HD
823 Discovery HD
824 Disney HD
826 ABC Family HD
828 Palladia HD
830 FX HD
831 TBS HD
832 HGTV HD
833 TNT HD
834 E! HD
835 USA HD
837 A&E HD
839 HD Theatre
841 Fox New Channel HD
842 CNN HD
846 Universal HD
847 The Weather Channel HD
848 Versus /Golf HD
849 ESPN HD
850 ESPN 2 HD
851 NESN HD
852 Comcast Sportsnet NE HD
853 NFL Network HD
854 Food HD
859 AMC HD
860 Cartoon Network
862 SciFi channel HD
863 Animal Planet HD
866 Science Channel HD
867 TLC HD
868 Cinemax HD
870 HBO HD
871 HBO2 HD
872 History HD
873 Starz! Edge HD
874 Starz! Kids & Family HD
875 Starz! HD HD
876 Starz! Comedy HD
877 Showtime HD
878 Showtime Too HD
879 SHOCD
880 Showtime Extreme HD
881 Mojo
883 The Movie Channel HD
884 The Movie Channel 2 HD
885 Big 10 Network HD

Note that HBO HD is duplicated twice right now, so it looks like the total is 80. Randomly, in looking at the Comcast channel guide, 887 is showing as the Travel Channel already so another may be on the way.


-Matt
pianoman41 is offline  
post #7781 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blitzen102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

Amazing how just a few miles west in the same state we get a lot less. I've bolded what we get in Western MA:

It's not all that amazing. Your system is not all-digital - Boston is.
blitzen102 is offline  
post #7782 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastampton NJ, South Jersey
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comcast Sucks for HD Cannles in New Jersey
Daniel Murray is offline  
post #7783 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Member
 
bigpatky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orem, UT
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
chicago gets 28 more channels in hd than i get
boston gets 44 more channels in hd than i get

that is a boatload of extra channels.
bigpatky is offline  
post #7784 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post

Comcast Sucks for HD Cannles in New Jersey

Your spelling in New Jersey sucks.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #7785 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 04:35 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

It's not all that amazing. Your system is not all-digital - Boston is.

No matter how many times you tell these people this, they just don't understand and keep asking. Now thats amazing!
Lodef is offline  
post #7786 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Member
 
kb11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman87 View Post

These are the ones that they are getting in the City that we AREN'T getting up here:


226-Cartoon Network
227-Hallmark Movie Channel
229-Lifetime Movie Network
231-ESPNews
234-NHL Network
235-NBA TV
237-Speed Channel
257-Starz Kids & Family
258-Starz Comedy
259-Starz Edge
261-Planet Green
262-E!
263-Encore
264-Fox Business Channel
265-Fox News Channel
267-FX
269-Biography (BIO)
270-The Weather Channel
283-Toon Disney
284-MGM

I think the only channel positions of these that we actually have other channels using right now are 262-264, duplicates of the Fox college sports channels on 413-415, & 267 a duplicate of Fox Soccer Channel on 401

Sparkman, those duplicates are the exact same in my system. I wonder if Comcast will eventually take the new HD channels and put them in there place like above.
kb11 is offline  
post #7787 of 12118 Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastampton NJ, South Jersey
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Your spelling in New Jersey sucks.

Yes you are right That is what I call a brain Fart
Daniel Murray is offline  
post #7788 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
neil0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post

chicago gets 28 more channels in hd than i get
boston gets 44 more channels in hd than i get

that is a boatload of extra channels.

We can have them too, if Comcast would do the same thing in all markets and go all digital. Some compromise has to be made between allowing people to hold on to their "the way it always was" thinking and analog, and the cost of providing digital converters or STB's so that the coming majority can have a reasonable amount of HD channels.

Bottom line is that satellite, FIOS, U-verse, and even OTA will require a converter box, and the only kind of TV you can buy is a digital HDTV, so Comcast needs to get to bringing their systems up to the year 2009 and stop catering to hold backs who just don't want to change and cling to analog sets and demand to do it without a box.

How many posts do you see on various forums such as "Comcast sux...they took off the analog tier". People just expect that analog will be around forever and don't want to change. Sorry people....the future started yesterday...get with the plan.
neil0311 is offline  
post #7789 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

How many posts do you see on various forums such as "Comcast sux...they took off the analog tier".

Loads... you just don't see such posts on advanced high-tech-oriented forums, like this one. You see such comments mostly on the more generalized community forums, and especially in contexts where people who aren't technically sophisticated enough to post online interact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Sorry people....the future started yesterday...get with the plan.

Which is exactly what legacy service providers cannot safely say, everywhere, all at once, without prompting attacks against them by the national media and Congress.
bicker1 is offline  
post #7790 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Bottom line is that satellite, FIOS, U-verse, and even OTA will require a converter box, and the only kind of TV you can buy is a digital HDTV, so Comcast needs to get to bringing their systems up to the year 2009 and stop catering to hold backs who just don't want to change and cling to analog sets and demand to do it without a box.

How about just giving me the HD channels I pay for without having to pay extra for box I would rather not use?
gakon is offline  
post #7791 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How much extra are you willing to pay for the MSO to, essentially, install an expensive secure switching system outside everyone's home? That's the essential issue here: Putting everything onto the cable in-the-clear basically would mean charging everyone for everything. That's not legal. They have to offer a limited basic package -- by LAW. So there must be a way to control who gets what. All these discussions are about how to accomplish that -- refusing to acknowledge the complexity in doing so, because it is "not the customer's problem" simply leaves one in ignorance of what are potentially viable solutions. People need to start thinking of everything they want in terms of how much it is worth to them, and how much it costs to provide it to them, and recognize that how much they will pay for it should be the higher of the two. That helps put things back in proper perspective and helps people understand what the actual alternatives could be.
bicker1 is offline  
post #7792 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The fact that I did not need a box for all of my TV's was one of the reasons I resisted switching from Comcast. Once they require me to have a box for all TV's, they lose that advantage over satellite. Discussions about how Comcast should accomplish secure switching to allow us to actually use our QAM tuners are irrelevant - that IS Comcast's job. If they can't provide that service for a reasonable price, then "the customer's problem" is simply to determine if there are other service or cost advantages for Comcast over other providers, not to consider the difficulties that resulted in the lack of a specific feature.
gakon is offline  
post #7793 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 10:10 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

The fact that I did not need a box for all of my TV's was one of the reasons I resisted switching from Comcast. Once they require me to have a box for all TV's, they lose that advantage over satellite.

It is remarkable how many cable critics have continually refused to acknowledge the value of that advantage, while it existed, and indeed still refuse to acknowledge the value of that advantage, in the many areas where it still exists at least for basic cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

Discussions about how Comcast should accomplish secure switching to allow us to actually use our QAM tuners are irrelevant - that IS Comcast's job.

It is Comcast's "job" and it is NOT irrelevant. If folks refuse to consider the factual realities of the situation, they cannot possibly understand the situation they're discussing. It's like saying that fulfilling your personal expectation to ship your new HDTV to your home within two hours of ordering it is amazon.com's "job", and condemning them for not promising you that they will do so. Because you must not ignore that fact: Comcast does not promise you that they would provide you whatever channels you want in clear QAM. They don't. So your expectation that they will, in absence of their promising that, and without being cased in the context of the realities of satisfying your expectation in that regard, cannot help but be unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

If they can't provide that service for a reasonable price, then "the customer's problem" is simply to determine if there are other service or cost advantages for Comcast over other providers, not to consider the difficulties that resulted in the lack of a specific feature.

And to accept the fact that perhaps the answer is that there is no service provider that offers whatever cable channels you wish without a box at every television.
bicker1 is offline  
post #7794 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Member
 
lawful12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As noted on my most recent billing statement:

On 12/10, G4 HD (chl 288), TV One HD (chl 289) and Style HD (chl 287) will be
added to Digital Classic.

I think that brings the Chicago HD channel total to 68!

Frank
lawful12 is offline  
post #7795 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 11:25 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ho hum. They've run out of HD channels to add that matter AFAIC.
bicker1 is offline  
post #7796 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

It is Comcast's "job" and it is NOT irrelevant. If folks refuse to consider the factual realities of the situation, they cannot possibly understand the situation they're discussing. It's like saying that fulfilling your personal expectation to ship your new HDTV to your home within two hours of ordering it is amazon.com's "job", and condemning them for not promising you that they will do so. Because you must not ignore that fact: Comcast does not promise you that they would provide you whatever channels you want in clear QAM. They don't. So your expectation that they will, in absence of their promising that, and without being cased in the context of the realities of satisfying your expectation in that regard, cannot help but be unreasonable.

Since we actually appear to agree on the other points, let me clarify this one. While I think Comcast should be able to provide cable HD in clear QAM, I do understand that they most likely will not. But it's not an unreasonable expectation, given that they have been able to accomplish a similar feat with analog. It would be like saying that Amazon used to be able to ship my TV in 3 days, but because I've ordered a better TV, it will now take 5 days.
gakon is offline  
post #7797 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amazon.com used to give my wife free shipping all the time. They don't, much, anymore. Things do change.

Many people want rates kept low. They don't want to cover the cost of maintaining traps; traps are more expensive to maintain than addressable security. They'd (we'd) rather folks wanting advanced services comply with the reality of the separable security mandates that were imposed on cable companies rather than having to subsidize the desire of some to have clear QAM.
bicker1 is offline  
post #7798 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chad473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Ho hum. They've run out of HD channels to add that matter AFAIC.

ho hum. you're in the minority.

Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One S 2TB
PS4 Pro 2TB
chad473 is offline  
post #7799 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 02:20 PM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is not the case.

Check out the statistics on most popular cable channels. Look specifically at how quickly the numbers drop as you get down past #20 -- after that point, cable networks aren't even getting a million viewers per week!! When they add channels like G4 or TV One, they're incurring the same infrastructure costs (engineering, transport, etc.) yet getting just a fraction of the utility out of that investment.

As far as I can tell, I am in the majority.
bicker1 is offline  
post #7800 of 12118 Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chad473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 121
it's a good thing people like you aren't making the decisions then. if you were, I fear we'd be sitting here in 2008 with just networks and maybe espn in HD if we used your ideas of what channels were "important"

myself, I'm for progress. I didn't buy an HDTV to only have access to a handful of HD channels. Other operators get that and are making big moves. Comcast will too eventually, once they get the analog shackles off.

Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One S 2TB
PS4 Pro 2TB
chad473 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off