post #811 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

ESPN2 HD should begin a small rollout end of March to mid April as of last news. UHD & Comcast have only signed aprox 14 % of Comcast head end locations so far.

So is the ESPN2HD signed at 100% of head ends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

So is the ESPN2HD signed at 100% of head ends?

We should know next week if South Phila, Bucks Co., Lancaster County, Lebanon County, Hershey & the 2 Harrisburg Market's are on the list for the roll out.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #813 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Is the lack of HDNETMovies on Comcast really about economics? Heck, I'd pay extra to have it, and I know I'm not alone. Their schedules are often more compelling than premium HD channels like HBO or Showtime.

post #814 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Is the lack of HDNETMovies on Comcast really about economics? Heck, I'd pay extra to have it, and I know I'm not alone. Their schedules are often more compelling than premium HD channels like HBO or Showtime.

It's always about economics... customer requests, available bandwidth, etc. all figure into it, but at the bottom line, it boils down to cost. And that includes the fact that Comcast has a vested interest in the 2 INHD channels which they undoubtedly feel are a substitute, or equal to, HDNet. Even then it's still about the money, INHD is probably far cheaper(due to partial ownership being one reason) than HDNet would ever be.
post #815 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IMHO INHD/INHD2 are a poor substitute for HDNET.[not pq wise but content wise]

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #816 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Their NBA games look like crap this season.

At least you get it. Anytime an NBA game is on INHD in Knoxville we loose the station for 2 hours since we do not have NBA tv.
post #817 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

We should know next week if South Phila, Bucks Co., Lancaster County, Lebanon County, Hershey & the 2 Harrisburg Market's are on the list for the roll out.

I've had a good track record with HD in Baltimore, getting TNT right away, and still having Universal HD. Hopefully that will continue with ESPN2.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #818 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

IMHO INHD/INHD2 are a poor substitute for HDNET.

Both have as good to superior content and look much better.IN my honest opinion,you must have very poor signal coming in on INHD,INHD2.

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #819 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Here's an answer to Comcast's lack of bandwidth problem. Install fiber-optic cable lines in all the towns that you're in, that way bandwidth won't be an issue. Maybe Comcast is too cheap, but they shouldn't complain when their new rival Verizon is doing just that. Verizon will absolutely destroy Comcast in the long run, but only if Comcast chooses to be complacent and allows it to happen. The way it is now, Verizon can keep on adding HD and SD channels and they'll hardly feel it. If Comcast does the same, then they'll be very close to max capacity.
post #820 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by enmoco View Post

Both have as good to superior content and look much better.IN my honest opinion,you must have very poor signal coming in on INHD,INHD2.

That's not what he means. He's talking about content, OAR, unobtrusive channel bug, etc. I agree.

The addition of UHD is heading in the right direction. I give Comcast a cudos for that.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #821 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHD View Post

Here's an answer to Comcast's lack of bandwidth problem. Install fiber-optic cable lines in all the towns that you're in, that way bandwidth won't be an issue.

All Comcast needs to do is switch to all-digital transmission or switched video, and they'll have all the bandwidth they need, thanks to all of the fiber optic cable that they've already run.
post #822 of 12010 Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

I've only had UHD a short while, and the movies so far blow away INHD. And that's not meant as a complement to UHD.

Well, everyone has an opinion. But have you actually seen "Baraka", "Miller's Crossing" or "Matewan" in order to say those films are blown away by the films on UHD? Or the IMAX films "Chronos" or "Pulse: A Stomp Odyssey"? In my opinion, but that's some fine programming there, hideous logo aside. In fact, the only things I saw on UHD when I had it that approach that quality are "Lost Highway" and "Battlestar Galactica". "The Frighteners" is a good movie and it was an open matte Super 35 transfer, but I think they probably cropped the SFX shots. "They Live" was an okay B-Movie but it was cropped. Scarface is way overrated IMO, but I won't knock UHD for showing it, especially OAR. Other than that, all I saw was junk on UHD. Not that the remainder of the INHD programming is any better, but when people say EVERYTHING on the INHD's is worthless, I tend to doubt they are considering the films I mentioned.
post #823 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 01:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

That's not what he means. He's talking about content, OAR, unobtrusive channel bug, etc. I agree.

I agree as well, while I've only seen the INHDs briefly I've read quite a bit about their programming/display methods, and after having the HDNets for years, I would say that INHD is no match for HDNet.
post #824 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ESPN2 HD should begin a small rollout end of March to mid April as of last news. ....

As Marcus said, Northern Maryland has a good record of making new HD channels available as fast as anyone and hopefully that will continue with ESPN2HD.

I'm just glad I'm not a Big 10 fan and will miss the whole tourney in HD.

Rich N.
post #825 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidbuck View Post

I'm just glad I'm not a Big 10 fan and will miss the whole tourney in HD.

Rich N.

Check the schedule again. 2 Friday games on ESPN-HD and all 3 weekend games on CBS. That's 5 of the last 7 games that all of us should get in HD.

XBL = jackalopes

PSN = ChitownJackalope

post #826 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 AM

So what is the story? Is Comcast definitely getting ESPN2HD?? I've been calling about it and no one seems to know

pizzaman
post #827 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw2323 View Post

So what is the story? Is Comcast definitely getting ESPN2HD?? I've been calling about it and no one seems to know

They are getting it nationally. The question is which local systems will get it and when. Some still don't have TNT after almost a year.

post #828 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some still don't have TNT after almost a year.

Like here in South Jersey, across the river from their corporate headquarters, for example.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #829 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, but your local head end is BROKE, no more $$$$ to spend on Equipment, or Network HD Channel agreements ( ESPN2-HD ).

However as a consolation we will be adding the new ABC & CBS & PBS Shop at Home Networks along with the Buy a Car Network & The Hairclub for Men Network, to your lineup.

Enjoy!

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #830 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman View Post

Like here in South Jersey, across the river from their corporate headquarters, for example.

Make it ENTIRE New Jersey state. I know that neither my Comcast System(Comcast of New Jersey II(Union) ) Nor the Comcast of Monmounth/Ocean has TNT-HD.

Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: BBC America HD, BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD and ESPN Deportes HD
I miss my Fox Deportes on Sports Pak!
post #831 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

My system (in Bristol County, MA) is fiber to the node where it switches to copper for distribution to the home.

It's also pretty low utilizaiton for HSI too, and Comcast is the ONLY wired option where we live- too far to get DSL in any flavor.
post #832 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, but your local head end is BROKE, no more $$$$ to spend on Equipment, or Network HD Channel agreements ( ESPN2-HD ).

However as a consolation we will be adding the new ABC & CBS & PBS Shop at Home Networks along with the Buy a Car Network & The Hairclub for Men Network, to your lineup.

Enjoy!

it wouldn't shock me if that were true
post #833 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are getting it nationally. The question is which local systems will get it and when. Some still don't have TNT after almost a year.

We don't have TNT-HD in CT anywhere except for New Haven. I was told it wasn't necessarily bandwidth-related and ADS was just finished around the middle of February. UHD was added for the Olympics and has stayed on all systems in CT that are 750mhz and up. Maybe there is hope that we'll see ESPN2HD when it's available nationally as well.
post #834 of 12010 Old 03-09-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNair View Post

Well, everyone has an opinion. But have you actually seen "Baraka", "Miller's Crossing" or "Matewan" in order to say those films are blown away by the films on UHD? Or the IMAX films "Chronos" or "Pulse: A Stomp Odyssey"? In my opinion, but that's some fine programming there, hideous logo aside. In fact, the only things I saw on UHD when I had it that approach that quality are "Lost Highway" and "Battlestar Galactica". "The Frighteners" is a good movie and it was an open matte Super 35 transfer, but I think they probably cropped the SFX shots. "They Live" was an okay B-Movie but it was cropped. Scarface is way overrated IMO, but I won't knock UHD for showing it, especially OAR. Other than that, all I saw was junk on UHD. Not that the remainder of the INHD programming is any better, but when people say EVERYTHING on the INHD's is worthless, I tend to doubt they are considering the films I mentioned.

Like I said, it's really a "tallest midget" contest, neither channel is showing a ton of great movies. OAR and no bug is a big plus for UHD.

Quote:

Check the schedule again. 2 Friday games on ESPN-HD and all 3 weekend games on CBS. That's 5 of the last 7 games that all of us should get in HD.

Right, it's just today's games that we're missing in HD. Of course, they're being played while I'm at work and aren't worth DVRing anyway.
post #835 of 12010 Old 03-12-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNair View Post

IMO there aren't that many significant differences between INHD2 and UHD. People complain about the bad movies on INHD2 but it's not like there aren't any exceptions... "Miller's Crossing" and "Matewan" are not bad films. "Matewan" is a terrific film. So is "Baraka". And the IMAX films usually traslate well to HD (though why they show some of those crappy 3D IMAX films I can't figure). And UHD airs their fair share of stinkers. In the end I'd prefer UHD for two reasons: BSG and INHD's hideous logo, which destroyed some of the things they show like "Baraka". But UHD has presentation problems as well. During their OAR screening of "Lost Highway", an enourmous "TV-MA" indicator appeared periodically and covered nearly a quarter of the picture.

I was pretty disappointed in UHD when we had for the Olympics. I was especially looking forward to BSG, but when I found out they weren't showing new episodes, I lost all interest. I have resorted to SD Sci-Fi Channel and buying the DVDs. Even the DVDs aren't excellent quality, but still better than SD.

We also seem to have a lot of lag or a slow motion effect where everything seems to run at 3/4 speed. Overall, I am just not thrilled with Comcast. My wife complains about Comcast every day, asking to go back to D*, which is becoming a very serious possibility or maybe E* and live with HD-Lite.
post #836 of 12010 Old 03-12-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjy View Post

We also seem to have a lot of lag or a slow motion effect where everything seems to run at 3/4 speed.

Can you explain that in more detail? I've never seen or heard of such a thing.
post #837 of 12010 Old 03-12-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer View Post

Can you explain that in more detail? I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

That sounds like a varied high/low db signal from Comcast.Call them out and they can test and correct.You do not have to "live" with that.

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #838 of 12010 Old 03-16-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone heard anything lately?

post #839 of 12010 Old 03-17-2006, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

We never watched network TV, but now some of the series on UHD seem to be pretty good. We've watched several "Medical Investigation" and "L&O SVU" on the DVR. I like UHD's not filling the full hour with self-promotions. Their breaks are significantly shorter than TNTHD's and their hour shows end in 50 minutes. I'm sure as they get more commercials their breaks will take longer, but the FF button hardly gets going before its back to the show.

With the collapse of viable content on the INHD's (until MLB starts) it has been a good addition IMHO.

Sure would like to know what's happening (if anything) on ESPN2HD though.

Rich N.
post #840 of 12010 Old 03-17-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any update?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page