Comcast HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 11993 Old 04-01-2006, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just for clarity, nobody knows what, when, or if Comcast is adding any new HD channels? You know with all the new HD set out in the general public, this is crazy. Bring on FIOS or bring back VOOM........please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 11993 Old 04-01-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stw2323 View Post

If you email Mark Cuban (his email address is proudly visible on the Mavericks and HDNet's site, he simply writes back to call your cable provider consistently. There are a lot of rumors out there about the status of negotiations but nothing concrete. The one rumor is that ESPN insists that Comcast also add ESPNU if they want ESPN2HD.

The thing is Comcast wants to put it as part of the Sports tier while ESPN wants Digital Classic

Compromise. Put it on Digital plus.
post #903 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I want BOTH ESPNU andESPN2HD!

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #904 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Me too plus FSN-HD
post #905 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

The thing is Comcast wants to put it as part of the Sports tier while ESPN wants Digital Classic

Compromise. Put it on Digital plus.

Unfortunately, that's not a compromise as far as Comcast is concerned. They need more folks like me who subscribe to the Sports Tier ($5 per month) and figure ESPNU would do that. I only subscribe for the 1-2 events each month that I might watch (college football and basketball). It really isn't worth it unless you like soccer.

However, I don't know if the U issue is what is holding up an agreement covering m(b?)illions of dollars between Disney and Comcast.

And tonight I have to watch the baseball game in SD. Now that does suck.

Rich N.
post #906 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am personally in awe at how long it has taken Comcast to add ESPN2-HD. This channel has been around for a year now, and i'm just shocked that Comcast hasn't seen it as a major addition to their lineup that is necessary yet.

They're either being cheapskates and they just want to float for a while without adding new HD channels, or they are just oblivious to the fact that a large majority of HD viewers are interested in HD sporting events, and ESPN2 seems to offer quite a few of them. Particularly during the baseball season.

I'm really getting sick of their inaction and i'm even beginning to get those thoughts like "hm, I guess dish network offers ESPN2-HD. Maybe I should check out their options".

I'm in no way married to Cable, even though I do believe Comcast offers some nice things, I just think they're a little too tied up in the "on demand" stuff, which I have frankly NEVER used, even once. The HDTV userbase is rapidly growing though and they should realize it is the future and it is the thing that is driving new sales and subscriptions.

post #907 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 06:16 PM

I just got a letter from Comcast saying that they have gone all digital in my area(east Seattle). It also said that there's room now for more HD. So maybe something will happen soon. Maybe not. Maybe the Providers conspired together to not compete with HD. 'Like let's all provide the same 10 HD channels' for ever and ever'.
post #908 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw the blurb about now being "all digital" in last months bill, but nothing was said about HD. (S. Jersey)

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #909 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 PM

anyone know a comcast customer service number for us to voice our displeasure with not having ESPN2 HD???????
post #910 of 11993 Old 04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyben View Post

I just got a letter from Comcast saying that they have gone all digital in my area(east Seattle). It also said that there's room now for more HD. So maybe something will happen soon. Maybe not. Maybe the Providers conspired together to not compete with HD. 'Like let's all provide the same 10 HD channels' for ever and ever'.

National HD contracts may or may not be implemented in particular local Comcast systems. I don't think that just because one area doesn't have room for additional HD channels they won't get an agreement. Other areas, like mine, are 850 mhz systems and have enough room for several more HD channels. No, the problem is not the uneven level of bandwidth between Comcast systems, but unwillingness to agree on a contract (both sides I'm sure are at fault).

And no conspiracy, either. A provider will want the maximum distribution of a channel and new channels have/will pop up with regularity this year.

Comcast just won't get them for 1-2 years each, as contracts need to be renegotiated.

Rich N.
post #911 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have little doubt that Comcast is at fault here. I don't buy into any other theories.

First off, ESPN knows how huge Comcast's customer base is, and they would have every reason to want their HD channel made available to as many people as possible. Also, the fact that Dish Network, and DirectTv have been able to come to agreement with ESPN2-HD, tells me that their demands and cost must not be too high.

So, I believe there is plenty of evidence to assume Comcsat is simply the one dragging their feet in this case. I think they're so wrapped up on "on demand" that they think thats all that matters right now. They seem to be showing little to no interest in really adding HD channels right now. I think they've basically put the HD channels on cruise control and they just aren't concerned with it right now.

Let's face it folks. Adding ESPN2-HD is not like putting a man on the moon. They simply have to sign the contract and flip some switches. I don't buy into any of their stories about why this is taking so long.

post #912 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 08:23 AM

Both ESPN and Comcast are at fault, but from everything I have read so far it appears that ESPN is the main culprit. About 9 months ago I read a post on another from an ESPN employee trying to blame Comcast. His claim, all Comcast had to do was buy ESPNU at some normally high per subscriber rate and place ESPNU in the analog tier and they would give ESPN2-HD to Comcast for free. Otherwise Comcast could pay full rate for ESPN2-HD which was apparently pretty expensive according to the employee. There was also an article posted recently, I believe on this forum, talking about how the ABC/Disney/ESPN packages are the most expensive and tightly locked in the industry.

While discussing this very issue with a friend of mine, the suggestion was made that maybe Comcast should just buy the channel. However while speculating on the price and the number of Comcast subscribers, he came up with the number of like $3.50 per subscriber. He figured that the people who do not have the ability to watch the HD channel would scream about a rate increase so refigured the amount for only subscribers with Digital STB and the rate increase was something near $30.00 just to get ESPN2-HD added. I don't know about you, but I can live with out it for $30.00 per month even though I would watch several events including the entire NHRA session and shows.

By no means am I any fan of Comcast. Matter of fact, I'm looking forward to the possibility of a AT&T FIOS in the next year or so for the Atlanta suburbs. However, having read the above items and knowing how a free market society works, I am taking a different approach if Comcast and Disney can not get to a reasonable contract rate. I think Comcast should drop all Disney and ESPN channels and offer it to its customers as a add on package at the price Disney and ESPN would require for add on. Then we will see the true value of these channels. Of coarse a lot of people would leave Comcast for Satellite, but I don't think it would be as devastating as number of Advertisers that drop Disney and ESPN with the lose of millions of Comcast subscribers.
post #913 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

I hope by Sept(?) they have added HD to the NFL network which will begin broadcasting games.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #914 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

We probably won't see any new HD channels on Comcast for
quite a while the way they negotiate[very,very,very slowly].

Tha is probably to fast for Comcast to handle
post #915 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast isn't adding any new HD. They came to the conclusion that HDTV is just a fad along with color programming. They are going to start reducing all their channels to Black and white, a format everyone truly wants.
post #916 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast isn't adding any new HD. They came to the conclusion that HDTV is just a fad along with color programming. They are going to start reducing all their channels to Black and white, a format everyone truly wants.
post #917 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know a way for ESPN2HD to sneak its way on comcast. (at least in boston)

Grab ALL Red Sox/Yankee games EXCLUSIVELY!

This will allow the biggest rivalry in sports to be seen on a national basis.
post #918 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

I know a way for ESPN2HD to sneak its way on comcast. (at least in boston)

Grab ALL Red Sox/Yankee games EXCLUSIVELY!

This will allow the biggest rivalry in sports to be seen on a national basis.

what? should we have 3 espnHD (the third one to be conceived just for this reason) channels covering these games? one regular camera, one dugout cam, and of course the "above the rim... oops stadium" cam?

you guys are lucky espn is bristol based, no one cares about yankees red sox outside of the two markets. thank god i'm in the west coast, i have the option of watching two very good, very underrated rivalries of a's angels, giants dodgers.

the best things in life doesn't necessarily have to be the flashiest. nor does it need national HD coverage.
post #919 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
bigglare >> LOL

Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: BBC America HD, BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD and ESPN Deportes HD
I miss my Fox Deportes on Sports Pak!
post #920 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post

I hope by Sept(?) they have added HD to the NFL network which will begin broadcasting games.

I would be shocked if there is no HD for NFL Network games. Remember, they have until November until that package starts. If nothing else, they'll get aired on INHD

pizzaman
post #921 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 02:30 PM

I will say one thing, while I love HD and have been constantly calling and emailing Comcast for ESPN2HD, baseball still looks good in SD. It seems as though indoor sports are where the biggest picture quality difference is.

pizzaman
post #922 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

what? should we have 3 espnHD (the third one to be conceived just for this reason) channels covering these games? one regular camera, one dugout cam, and of course the "above the rim... oops stadium" cam?

you guys are lucky espn is bristol based, no one cares about yankees red sox outside of the two markets. thank god i'm in the west coast, i have the option of watching two very good, very underrated rivalries of a's angels, giants dodgers.

the best things in life doesn't necessarily have to be the flashiest. nor does it need national HD coverage.

You could tell you have never lived in the NE. Baseball is a way of life up there (not just Yankees/Redsox). That is why the rivalry is so huge. Up there peeps prob. know more about the a's, angels, giants, and dodgers then most people in cali do. It is just plain different. There is no passion in Cali sports COMPARABLY speaking.
post #923 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

I lived in San Diego where Cox communications covered most padres baseball games in HD. Probably some of the best picture quality of any HD baseball coverage. More so than ESPN.
post #924 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Most Comcast systems have NFL & NFL-HD. We do...

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #925 of 11993 Old 04-03-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Baltimore had the preseason games (with a lot of macroblocking), but nothing since.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #926 of 11993 Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 AM

A poster in another thread mentioned switched video as one technique that could be used to expand HD capacity. Time Warner is doing this, I wonder if Comcast is investigating the possibilty?
post #927 of 11993 Old 04-08-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have read articles about Comcast also doing switched video. The new cable boxes that Comcast is purchasing also has Mpeg-4 capability. This will allow them to switch all VOD to the higher compression standard. The question is what will happen to the first generation one-way cable cards. I don't see how they will be compatible with switched video.
post #928 of 11993 Old 04-08-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

my twc system has video switching, and the cable cards miss quite a few channels.
post #929 of 11993 Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

fsn-hd showed up on my cable today... well, it says thats what it is.. all it shows is "Rainbow". what is this channel?

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #930 of 11993 Old 04-08-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

fsn-hd showed up on my cable today... well, it says thats what it is.. all it shows is "Rainbow". what is this channel?

I'm guessing Fox Sports Network.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page