Comcast HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 12011 Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im a sports fan, but more of a history buff, and since my wife watches hgtv about 20 hours a day, id rather watch it in hd.

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 12011 Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidbuck View Post

Unfortunately, I'm in northen Maryland and I'm sure it will be 5 years before we have a choice.

Not necessarily. Looks like Baltimore County will get FIOS soon.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...home-headlines

I'm in northwest Baltimore City (just barely) and will seriously consider moving if we don't get it this year.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #993 of 12011 Old 05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Not necessarily. Looks like Baltimore County will get FIOS soon.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...home-headlines

I'm in northwest Baltimore City (just barely) and will seriously consider moving if we don't get it this year.

Marcus:

Right, Baltimore County is on its way. But I live in Harford County, and that's why I was less than optimistic about FiOS. But I admire your dedication to increased HD service at better rates.

Rich N.
post #994 of 12011 Old 05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

It seems to me that Comcast's priority was the local channels. Now they are taking their time and dragging their feet with anything else.

Yeah, locals in HD was the only thing that the sat guys didn't have. So they pushed those to get/keep subs. Now, when the sats get HD locals in full swing... that will be interesting.
post #995 of 12011 Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't even know if HGTVHD is anywhere yet.

I have not read anything about this channel being on a big provider (D*, E*, Comcast) but only some small cable companies and maybe some fios.

HGTVHD is planned to come to E* HD lineup in the 2nd quarter of 06 along with FoodNetworkHD.

And coming to Comcast. Gee who knows maybe in 2 years would be my guess when they start feeling the pressure from DBS providing more HD. Probably in Comcast ESPN2HD is higher priority
post #996 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Before Comcast even considers adding any more new HD channels nationally, they need to first launch TNT-HD in NJ and any other areas that still dont have it. Also, when they make national agreements they should first make sure that the majority of local systems have the bandwidth to add it.
post #997 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

Before Comcast even considers adding any more new HD channels nationally, they need to first launch TNT-HD in NJ and any other areas that still dont have it. Also, when they make national agreements they should first make sure that the majority of local systems have the bandwidth to add it.

I know how you feel here, but the unfortunate fact of the matter is that some Comcast systems are older and lack the capacity of others. Are you seriously suggesting that those who live in areas with more-recent upgrades should be denied channels that there may be room for until the time (which could be years from now) when Comcast can add it to their least-capable systems? It's not like we're drowning in bandwidth anywhere, but if they can somehow manage to find room for NGC or MHD (although they'll probably do ESPN2 first) in enough places to make the deal worthwhile, I don't see why the customers of those systems should be punished for Comcast's failings elsewhere.
post #998 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Although I think I should correct one initial point that I made in my previous post. While bandwidth could possibly be a problem in some places, I think here in NJ it's just local Comcast stalling their feet. They had room to add TVONE, Eyewitness News Now (local ABC subschannel) as well as RetroPlex and IndiePlex, but yet can't seem to find the space for TNT-HD. Now you don't have to agree with me, but I think that if Comcast is going to be launching a new channel, that they should make sure that it can be added in all of their service areas. Otherwise, it just causes chaos and hurts the product.

The systems in NJ are fine, my system for example has full Digital Simulcast, Ondemand, HD, DVR, HSI and Digital Voice. It's just that they seem to stall all the time when it comes to HD programming especially. It would be a lot better if Comcast on a national scale didn't carry TNT-HD, because then you could say " well they have no interest in the channel" kinda what they've done with HDNET. But when over 95% of the HD customer base, has a specific national channel, I want to get what I'm paying for.

So yeah to pretty much sum it up. I think that it would be wise of Comcast, to not launch new HD programming nationally until they are sure that all their systems are able to get it. Sure it might cause some heartache but It would be worth it in the end.
post #999 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Although I think I should correct one initial point that I made in my previous post. While bandwidth could possibly be a problem in some places, I think here in NJ it's just local Comcast stalling their feet. They had room to add TVONE, Eyewitness News Now (local ABC subschannel) as well as RetroPlex and IndiePlex, but yet can't seem to find the space for TNT-HD. Now you don't have to agree with me, but I think that if Comcast is going to be launching a new channel, that they should make sure that it can be added in all of their service areas. Otherwise, it just causes chaos and hurts the product.

The systems in NJ are fine, my system for example has full Digital Simulcast, Ondemand, HD, DVR, HSI and Digital Voice. It's just that they seem to stall all the time when it comes to HD programming especially. It would be a lot better if Comcast on a national scale didn't carry TNT-HD, because then you could say " well they have no interest in the channel" kinda what they've done with HDNET. But when over 95% of the HD customer base, has a specific national channel, I want to get what I'm paying for.

So yeah to pretty much sum it up. I think that it would be wise of Comcast, to not launch new HD programming nationally until they are sure that all their systems are able to get it. Sure it might cause some heartache but It would be worth it in the end.

If I can't have it then you can't either...

NJ has bandwidth limitations. They are working towards a solution.

Here in Baltimore, where bandwidth isn't an issue, I'm glad you're not making our programming decisions.

GoIrish
post #1000 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

I'm glad I'm not running your systems either. Considering that I've heard horrific stories about Comcast service in Maryland. Look all I'm saying is that it would be in Comcast's best interest to not make anymore drastic additions in the HD category until problems with other systems are taken care of. I'm tired of hearing about the "bandwidth" issue, because I doubt that there is one. Case in point, them adding 4-5 new SD channels, when they were so called "bandwidth" deprived. Something doesn't add up now does it?
post #1001 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm glad I'm not running your systems either. Considering that I've heard horrific stories about Comcast service in Maryland. Look all I'm saying is that it would be in Comcast's best interest to not make anymore drastic additions in the HD category until problems with other systems are taken care of. I'm tired of hearing about the "bandwidth" issue, because I doubt that there is one. Case in point, them adding 4-5 new SD channels, when they were so called "bandwidth" deprived. Something doesn't add up now does it?

Well, my service is great, no complaints at all. Thanks for asking.

5 digital channels are less than 1/2 the space needed for one HD channel. 85% of cable customers aren't HD so they are not just managing bandwidth for what we want. Often times the digital channels they add are at the request of customers or due to contract necessity.

I still disagree with the premise of your post but hope they figure this out soon for you all in Jersey.

GoIrish
post #1002 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

You know now that I think about it a few hours later, I realize that my original assumptions were wrong. You should be able to get the best possible service and offerings from a company, if your system is in good standing. I guess the thing that gets me discouraged the most is how other systems on Comcast or other cable companies seem to be stepping up to the plate and delivering while Comcast in NJ seems to not be so much. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm expecting too much out of HD, when really it's still evolving and doesn't have a hugh penetration rate yet.

Also if I may ask, do you happen to know how much bandwidth and/or channel space would be needed for an addition like TNT-HD? Just curious since I'm not really up to speed on this type of stuff.
post #1003 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know now that I think about it a few hours later, I realize that my original assumptions were wrong. You should be able to get the best possible service and offerings from a company, if your system is in good standing. I guess the thing that gets me discouraged the most is how other systems on Comcast or other cable companies seem to be stepping up to the plate and delivering while Comcast in NJ seems to not be so much. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm expecting too much out of HD, when really it's still evolving and doesn't have a hugh penetration rate yet.

Also if I may ask, do you happen to know how much bandwidth and/or channel space would be needed for an addition like TNT-HD? Just curious since I'm not really up to speed on this type of stuff.

It takes 3 MHz. or half of what a normal analog, non-digital channel takes which is 6 MHz. I know that Comcast is pushing their markets to create an all digital line-up within the spectrum available. This is the first phase of what will be the start of transitioning their analog channels to only digital.

The short term issue is this takes additional bandwidth, usually 3-4 full analog 6 MHz slots, to accomplish. The short term upside is that this gives all current digital customers, (about 55% of their base), every channel digitally. This is a plus for just about all customers but especially those in Motorola markets, where their boxes are known to have analog tuners that don't provide a great picture on larger screens.

Our area went all all digital simulcast about two months ago and even where picture quality was already very good, it's now even a little better.

I expect your area may be navigating through those current challenges as well.

The upside is that this short term strategy is intended to create more bandwidth in bandwidth challenged areas to get current on launched HD content and create a platform to add future content liberally when deals happen.

Again, hopefully you see the benefit of this stuff soon.

GoIrish
post #1004 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM

I just wish Comcast would be more forthcoming with information. I understand that they don't want to dilvulge information about sensative contract talks, but at least give us something better that we are taking this under this suggestion under advisement. And it also seems as though the CSR's are very ignorent when it comes to HD.

pizzaman
post #1005 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 PM

^ You're exactly right! Comcast doesn't care at all what you think and keeps everything inside. They told us in WA, wait for FSN-NW HD with Mariners' games by June 1, but nothing's happened and several people have confirmed that they couldn't reach a contract.
post #1006 of 12011 Old 05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Comcast sucks. And we don't have other better choices. D*?
post #1007 of 12011 Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post

Our area went all all digital simulcast about two months ago and even where picture quality was already very good, it's now even a little better.

GoIrish

Can you explain "digital simulcast"? ESPN2 is still 03 and I didn't find it in the 100s. Isn't that still analog? ESPN News is on both 05 and 102.

Thanks,

Rich N.
post #1008 of 12011 Old 05-07-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Here in Baltimore, where bandwidth isn't an issue, I'm glad you're not making our programming decisions.

GoIrish

They have the bandwidth for TNT. They added Bravo for the Olympics without taking away a damn channel, and then they took it off and didn't add anything else.
post #1009 of 12011 Old 05-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you explain "digital simulcast"? ESPN2 is still 03 and I didn't find it in the 100s. Isn't that still analog? ESPN News is on both 05 and 102.

Thanks,

Rich N.

If you have a digital box, you are now receiving all channels digitally without having to tune to a new number.

The box automatically maps you to the all digital channels that have been layered within the operating spectrum. You do not need to do anything differently at all. All of the boxes Comcast offers do this, not just HD or DVR's.

If you do not have a box and take the cable straight to the TV you are receiving the analog versions with still exist due to the large number of analog only customers that still exist.

Hope you're doing well.

GoIrish
post #1010 of 12011 Old 05-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

They have the bandwidth for TNT. They added Bravo for the Olympics without taking away a damn channel, and then they took it off and didn't add anything else.

I don't question that they may be able to do one HD channel. If you refer back to my post, the priority for many Comcast systems now is digital simulcast. This may be the case in your area and they may need that 3 MHz of bandwidth in the short term for that project.

The upside of that project is it is the first phase of moving more current analog channels to digital to create more overall capacity for the future. A number of cable companies have/are doing this.

GoIrish
post #1011 of 12011 Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have a digital box, you are now receiving all channels digitally without having to tune to a new number.

The box automatically maps you to the all digital channels that have been layered within the operating spectrum. You do not need to do anything differently at all. All of the boxes Comcast offers do this, not just HD or DVR's.

If you do not have a box and take the cable straight to the TV you are receiving the analog versions with still exist due to the large number of analog only customers that still exist.

GoIrish

GoIrish, thanks for the information. ESPN2 does look better.

Rich N.
post #1012 of 12011 Old 05-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HDNET and HDNET/Movies are channels that Comcast will not have for many years, if ever. Since they are "stand-alone" Cuban has to charge a significant amount for carriage and there aren't other channels (SD) for Comcast to bargain with. Since we don't have an HD Tier, Comcast has no way to minimize the cost. So we won't be getting it, although I have asked many times. It is sad, but that's the way it is, I'm afraid.

Like many people here, and against all other areas for Comcast, HD customers seem willing to pay more for HD if they don't have to pay more for the SD channels that many of us avoid. Comcast can't institute an HD Tier now, too late, but they could raise the price of the HD DVR by a dollar a month for it. But then some areas don't have available bandwidth to even show HDNET if they got it (some areas still don't have TNT-HD and UHD for example) and that would change the pricing structure for HD by regional area. So it is not as simple as we would like it to be.

But it is true that Comcast is falling behind the satellites in the number of HD channels (although not in quality, see D* and HD-Lite). E* even has the VOOM channels. Will it make a noticeable difference?

Rich N.

don't give up Rich, keep asking Comcast. and it's not true what you said above that 'HDNet has to charge a significant amount for carriage', we've come to agreement with most all of the cable/satellite distributors. If enough Comcast customers want HDNet and HDNet Movies, they will add them. Don't give up on them, we won't.
post #1013 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:

GoIrish

Comcast is a big enough corporation to invest in increasing its bandwidth...of course it would involve them investing (ie. spending money) to upgrade their systems. My favorite excuse is that my system was purchased from another cable company who had limited bandwidth. That was true, but it was already Comcast when I hooked up my cable eight years ago!
post #1014 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 AM

I always hear how much ESPN wants for new stations like ESPN2-HD and ESPNU, yet my parents get their cable from Adelphia (you know, the bankrupt cable company) and they have managed to add those two stations in the past few months.
post #1015 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSports View Post

I always hear how much ESPN wants for new stations like ESPN2-HD and ESPNU, yet my parents get their cable from Adelphia (you know, the bankrupt cable company) and they have managed to add those two stations in the past few months.

Maybe that's why they're bankrupt

Just kidding. I wish we would hear some movement on new channels being added to areas that have the bandwidth available, at least, but there's been absolutely nothing.
Some of us did already get a new HD channel this year, UHD, so I guess we've met our quota.
post #1016 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Just kidding. I wish we would hear some movement on new channels being added to areas that have the bandwidth available, at least, but there's been absolutely nothing.
Some of us did already get a new HD channel this year, UHD, so I guess we've met our quota.

And some of us (Atlanta area) have had UHD added and then taken away.
post #1017 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Not nothing, just the knowledge that Disney and Comcast are in negotiations.
How long will the negotiations continue? I'm hoping they'll be done by September so we can get the baseball and college football games in HD. Since it has been 16 months so far, I think that would be reasonable. I don't think they'll break off and ESPN disappear from Comcast.

We've actually enjoyed some of the series on UHD. Their commercial breaks are much shorter than TNTHD, and their movies are uncut and uninterrupted.

Rich N.
post #1018 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM

A technician told me that Comcast waits for the previous contract to lapse. By not picking up new stations in mid-contract, they make out better that way.

Meanwhile, they've added wonderful stations almost no one will watch, like a second ABC-DT (we now have five stations that give us the weather) and TVOne (bad sitcoms you didn't watch the first time around) and AZN (they had planned to put money into this one to provide new programming, but then pulled it back, so its the same as the old International Channel). And then they blame no bandwidth.

The biggest insult though is they co-own Sportsnet New York, but will not show the HD telecasts of the Mets games. All other providers, including Cablevision show the home games in HD.
post #1019 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 PM

I'm in the Seattle market and Comcast recently added digital versions of their analog channels (the sub-100 channels) -- I even got a letter in the mail. These digital channels look far worse than their analog counterparts due to compression artifacts. I guess when they eliminate the simultaneous analog broadcast they may not compress stuff as much but for now it is pretty bad.
post #1020 of 12011 Old 05-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felthove View Post

I'm in the Seattle market and Comcast recently added digital versions of their analog channels (the sub-100 channels) -- I even got a letter in the mail. These digital channels look far worse than their analog counterparts due to compression artifacts. I guess when they eliminate the simultaneous analog broadcast they may not compress stuff as much but for now it is pretty bad.

I'm also in the Seattle market, but in my neighborhood the digital simulcast channels look fabulous and are a HUGE improvement over the quality of the old analog signals.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page