Comcast HDTV - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #10831 of 12078 Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Us in Philly used to have this issue, when Flyers/Sixers games were shifted to the old CN8 network(now called Comcast Network). It's essentially overflow for CSN, and they went HD a year or two ago. Good to see Washington is catching up. I wonder if they just rebrand Comcast Network into a "CSN+" someday, like Chicago and DC have. I will say though ever since it became Comcast Network they have showed a lot of college football and basketball out of market games(in HD too) and look to continue to do so this year.

more likely CSN+ will be on it's own and not be on a other network.
In Chicago CSN + (SD) was on CLTV but that stated long before comcast and CSN. Likely started with FSN over flows. Comcast seems to stated with CSN + HD in Chicago that just about got it's own channel when mojo HD ended. What odd about CSN + HD / Comcast info channel HD. Is that in systems out side comcast Chicago land that have CSN Chicago have CSN + HD in the same channel number as Chicago area even when it does not fit in to the channel map. Other area have the HD in like the 900's but CSN + HD is still on 285.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 12078 Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
64 new HD channels for Las Cruces, NM on Cct. 11, including HDNet.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_16054479

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #10833 of 12078 Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Makes me wonder seeing that New Mexico is not mentioned in that May press release if other Comcast markets that do not have HDNet will be quietly getting the channel in October.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #10834 of 12078 Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

Makes me wonder seeing that New Mexico is not mentioned in that May press release if other Comcast markets that do not have HDNet will be quietly getting the channel in October.

I'm not sure why there is so much interest in HDNet. We have it here in Colorado Springs and to be honest with you I don't see much on it worth watching - imho.

Cheers.
post #10835 of 12078 Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Trying to verify the Comcast HD DVR can only record two channels at a time and doesn't have an OTA input? My current Dish DVR can record two satellite and one OTA channel at the same time and the newer model can record two and two for a total of four.

NAS Based DVR | OpenELEC on Chromebox | WMC Adventure | Home Theatre Tweets
120" 16x9 | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W | Asus EB1036 PC | Windows 10/Kodi | ReadyNAS DVBLink DVR
post #10836 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 AM

Liked: 11
That's correct, Comcast DVRs still only have 2 tuners and no OTA tuners. Although Comcast is required to support CableCARD devices (the only reason I haven't switched to Dish) and Moxi sells a 3 tuner DVR (Tivo is still only 2 tuners).

http://moxi.com/us/moxi_dvr.html

And Ceton just released the InfiniTV4 which is 4 tuners on one PCI-E 1x card for Windows Media Center. (I have it in conjunction with 4 clearQAM tuners and rarely hit recording conflicts anymore.)

http://www.cetoncorp.com/index.php
post #10837 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just to point out that Moxi doesn't have OTA tuners either. TiVo does though.
post #10838 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

Just to point out that Moxi doesn't have OTA tuners either. TiVo does though.

TiVo does have 2 OTA tuners and 2 cable tuners, but can only record 2 shows at a time. Can be 2 OTA, 2 cable, or 1 of each, but only 2 at a time.
post #10839 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

I'm not sure why there is so much interest in HDNet. We have it here in Colorado Springs and to be honest with you I don't see much on it worth watching - imho.

For some people its the movies they run. For some people its the MMA programming. And for me... its Ring Of Honor. So its all depending on what one wants to watch.

Demolition Man
post #10840 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to see Enterprise in HD but it's too late for that.

There's still Smallville which I never got into, concerts, and news programs. And of course Bikini Destinations and, uh, stuff like that.

post #10841 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

For some people its the movies they run. For some people its the MMA programming. And for me... its Ring Of Honor. So its all depending on what one wants to watch.

For what it's worth, it's HDNet Movies that is the real deal. I personally can take or leave HDNet, but I find a lot of great movies on HDM.

The thing is, a system won't get HDNet Movies without HDNet.
post #10842 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

For what it's worth, it's HDNet Movies that is the real deal. I personally can take or leave HDNet, but I find a lot of great movies on HDM.

The thing is, a system won't get HDNet Movies without HDNet.

Absolutely, in my opinion, HDNet Movies is the only one worth having, it's too bad Comcast is only adding the main channel.
post #10843 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicariis View Post

That's correct, Comcast DVRs still only have 2 tuners and no OTA tuners.

Thanks. I was all ready to switch until I remembered this limitation. It's not bad for the cable networks as they rerun all of the shows often within a few hours. But for the major networks repeats don't come as often. I DVR 99% of what I watch during the same evening and for some silly reason most everything I view is shown at the same time on 2 days a week or so. I have been scheduling my Timers for the fall season and the resolve conflict screen keeps popping up even with the 3 at a time capability.

Regarding HDNet it was one of the few channels I would be losing (however I would be gaining more) and years ago it would be been a deal breaker but now anymore. They even managed to ruin Get Out. Even the unrated version with its added perks doesn't measure up although Cara is a kick at times.

NAS Based DVR | OpenELEC on Chromebox | WMC Adventure | Home Theatre Tweets
120" 16x9 | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W | Asus EB1036 PC | Windows 10/Kodi | ReadyNAS DVBLink DVR
post #10844 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Absolutely, in my opinion, HDNet Movies is the only one worth having, it's too bad Comcast is only adding the main channel.

Even the HDNET movies aren't worth it -the selection is pretty skimpy for my tastes. But then, I'm not into popular culture or violent action movies either. Not being critical here, if what they carry on HDNet Movies is your cup of tea, great. Its not mine. I'd rather go with Netflix for its wider selection. And now with my region free BluRay player I can order disks from overseas
post #10845 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Even the HDNET movies aren't worth it -the selection is pretty skimpy for my tastes. But then, I'm not into popular culture or violent action movies either. Not being critical here, if what they carry on HDNet Movies is your cup of tea, great. Its not mine. I'd rather go with Netflix for its wider selection. And now with my region free BluRay player I can order disks from overseas

I'm not saying it's the best movie channel out there, 95% of my movie viewing is via Netflix/Blockbuster rentals/streaming, especially obscure foreign films which Netflix is stellar at, but HDNet does come up with some gems on occasion(I believe they showed 'Bullet' before any other HD presentation anywhere), and they have their own production company, Magnolia Pictures, which sneak peeks first run films before they even hit the theaters, some of these films are very good in fact.

I typically don't watch many films on movie channels anyway, but given a choice(which obviously we're not getting with Comcast) I'd much rather have the movie channel than the main HDNet channel. I think I've spent maybe 6 hours total watching that main channel over the many, many years I've had it with other providers. Other than the first couple of shuttle launches, which even got boring after awhile, there's really nothing on that channel that interests me.
post #10846 of 12078 Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Cheers.

For Comcast viewers, HDNET was the one channel everyone wanted for many years, and could never have. Perhaps it is not as valuable now, but it seems to me it is the one HD oriented channel that has remained true to its original purpose. HD Theater has gone down the tubes, and INHD is gone altogether. Perhaps people think that endless reality cooking shows and shows about motorcycle and car rebuilding are the end-all, but HDNET is the only channel that seems to understand what programming men want to see. And that programming is beautiful scantily clad women in HD. Why is that so hard to understand, Spike and G4TV?
post #10847 of 12078 Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Did Galavision ever light up anywhere on Comcast? Anyone know the status of that?
post #10848 of 12078 Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

I'm in the Western Suburbs of Chicago and we definitely don't have HDNet. Where in the Chicago area has this been found?

In addition to the city proper, HDNet has just started to show up in suburban Chicago areas. See the Chicago Comcast topic for details.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #10849 of 12078 Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Well, I guess Comcast has decided not to bother doing World of More in Harford County MD. Even though Baltimore (just a few miles away) has had it for months, nothing has been done in Harford County and no mailings for getting DTA's have been sent. Anyone know why we are being left out?
post #10850 of 12078 Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^ Divine intervention?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #10851 of 12078 Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

Well, I guess Comcast has decided not to bother doing World of More in Harford County MD. Even though Baltimore (just a few miles away) has had it for months, nothing has been done in Harford County and no mailings for getting DTA's have been sent. Anyone know why we are being left out?

same in Carroll Co. it is because we have the outdated and lousy Cisco backbone hardware (Scientific Atlantic boxes) At least in Harford in some parts you can go to fios

Dan
post #10852 of 12078 Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

same in Carroll Co. it is because we have the outdated and lousy Cisco backbone hardware (Scientific Atlantic boxes) At least in Harford in some parts you can go to fios

Not interested in switching, too much hassle not to mention Verizon is in my doghouse for not accepting responsibility for messing up lots of peoples DSL wireless modem/routers with new firmware a couple of years ago. My wife's workplace was stuck rebooting their router almost every day till I convinced the owner to switch to Comcast. Hasn't been a problem since...
post #10853 of 12078 Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
HDNet & HDNet Movies Carriage Update

Boston - HDNet (city only)
Chicago - HDNet
Denver - HDNet
Detroit - HDNet (scheduled for 9/30/10 initially in select areas)
Houston - HDNet
Indianapolis - HDNet (only limited suburban areas)
Minneapolis - HDNet
Portland - HDNet (scheduled for 9/30/10)
Seattle - HDNet (scheduled for 10/1/10)
To the best of my knowledge none of these areas carry HDNet Movies.

Atlanta - Neither
Miami - Neither
Philadelphia - Neither
Pittsburgh - Neither
Sacramento - Neither
St. Paul - Neither
San Francisco - Neither
Tampa - Neither
Washington, D.C. - Neither

HDNet recently made its suburban Chicago debut, will make its Michigan debut in select areas & Portland debut on 9/30, and Seattle debut on 10/1.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #10854 of 12078 Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

HDNet is supposed to be lit up Sept 30th here in the SF bay area, I'll surely post back if it is.
post #10855 of 12078 Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

HDNet & HDNet Movies Carriage Update

Las Cruces, NM on Cct. 11.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_16054479

post #10856 of 12078 Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

HDNet is supposed to be lit up Sept 30th here in the SF bay area, I'll surely post back if it is.

Has anyone said what channel will HDNet be in the San Francisco Bay Area? I ask this question because what affects Xfinity service in the Bay Area may affect operations for Comcast in Sacramento, Placer, Yolo, and San Joaquin counties a few months later, especially now that Comcast line up for the Bay Area and central California for Comcast is almost the same.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #10857 of 12078 Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am getting sporadic pixelation on channels much more frequently than I have ever had with Comcast in Carroll Co Md. Also some sporadic issues with Voip, (I can hear other party but they cannot hear me)
Anyone else seeing issues in the past month or so.
The pixelation although doesn't last long, causes audio to drop and really messes up the image quite severely

Dan
post #10858 of 12078 Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post

Has anyone said what channel will HDNet be in the San Francisco Bay Area? I ask this question because what affects Xfinity service in the Bay Area may affect operations for Comcast in Sacramento, Placer, Yolo, and San Joaquin counties a few months later, especially now that Comcast line up for the Bay Area and central California for Comcast is almost the same.

From the Regional VP Comcast,
Quote:
Here is some preliminary information you can share with the Forum..

HD Net will launch on Channel 764 in the Bay Area on September 30th. Thriller Max HD will be removed from 841 on the same date.

post #10859 of 12078 Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

I am getting sporadic pixelation on channels much more frequently than I have ever had with Comcast in Carroll Co Md. Anyone else seeing issues in the past month or so.
The pixelation although doesn't last long, causes audio to drop and really messes up the image quite severely

we are getting it in S MD, mainly on live sports broadcasts - ESPN HD and Golf Channel HD
post #10860 of 12078 Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any word on St. Paul getting HDNet? Now with all these other markets getting HDNet it would be nice if we get it too... and that would be 1 of the 2 channels I could knock off my list of channels I wish Comcast would add (along with FSC HD). Thanks in advance.

Demolition Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page