3Likes

post #1081 of 12047 Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusnak View Post

Actually, the offer I have in front of me offers the DVR for free!Plus two airline tickets. Plus a premium channel for free for three months. As I said, I'm looking for more HD content. But I'm still thinking about it. One of the advantages of Comcast is that they state they do not compress HD broadcasts. I don't know what the quality of HD on E* actually is.

However, to keep on topic, some areas are reporting that Comcast (somewhere on their website) will be adding ESPN2 this year. Not a channel I'm interested in, but I know many others are.

Where did you find this offer? The single thing holding me back from switching to E* is their terrible deal on the HD DVR.... $299 up front to lease equipment plus an 18 month contract is too unreasonable for me... but if I could get a DVR for free I would probably deal with the contract.

Edit: Are you sure this deal isn't for their SD DVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 12047 Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 PM

I pay Comcast under $50 per month for 1 HD box, 1 HD-DVR box, basic cable and digital cable w/ UHD, NESN-HD, TNT-HD, ALL LOCAL HD, ESPN-HD, DISCOVERY-HD,INHD-1/2.

I get verizon DSL for $15 per month. I think these are both hell-of-a-deals.

If you feel the price it too high....why don't you cancell HBO, SHO, MAX and the rest of the overpriced stations. You can only watch one station at a time anyway.

greg
post #1083 of 12047 Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, the offer I have in front of me offers the DVR for free!Plus two airline tickets. Plus a premium channel for free for three months. As I said, I'm looking for more HD content. But I'm still thinking about it. One of the advantages of Comcast is that they state they do not compress HD broadcasts. I don't know what the quality of HD on E* actually is.

That is on the SD DVR, not the HD, read the offer carefully, I get those things in the mail all the time.
post #1084 of 12047 Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmp View Post

I pay Comcast under $50 per month for 1 HD box, 1 HD-DVR box, basic cable and digital cable w/ UHD, NESN-HD, TNT-HD, ALL LOCAL HD, ESPN-HD, DISCOVERY-HD,INHD-1/2.

I get verizon DSL for $15 per month. I think these are both hell-of-a-deals.

If you feel the price it too high....why don't you cancell HBO, SHO, MAX and the rest of the overpriced stations. You can only watch one station at a time anyway.

greg

Those are great deals but not realistic for everyone.

My comcast bill is almost $140 and dropping hbo/max cuts it down only $20.

verizon doesn't have $15/mo dsl here and i'm on a reduced rate "comcast offer" for cable inet $29/12mo as it is.

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #1085 of 12047 Old 05-22-2006, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch View Post

they're saying it should pass today...

It passed.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #1086 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:

here in NJ, it is expected today that our legislators will FINALLY put some pressure on Comcast (and cablevision, etc.)... verizon is looking to be cleared to allow for fios TV services on a statewide basis

I wish it was possible for them to come to the detroit area. I really don't know about sbc/att and their future service.

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #1087 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman View Post

It passed.

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #1088 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

That is on the SD DVR, not the HD, read the offer carefully, I get those things in the mail all the time.

It actually doesn't specify, aside from Dual Tuner DVR/Reciever. With Comcast, the same DVR handles SD and HD. Only deterrent is if you don't order or have any HD programming. I'd assume it would be the same with E*, but perhaps I'm wrong. Do they have a seperate DVR/Receiver for HD?
post #1089 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNair View Post

Where did you find this offer? The single thing holding me back from switching to E* is their terrible deal on the HD DVR.... $299 up front to lease equipment plus an 18 month contract is too unreasonable for me... but if I could get a DVR for free I would probably deal with the contract.

Edit: Are you sure this deal isn't for their SD DVR?

www.SatelliteSales.com
post #1090 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

www.SatelliteSales.com

Never mind. Just checked this site and the HD DVR apparantly is not part of the deal. Guess I'll keep waiting for FIOS.
post #1091 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...er?btel&coll=1

My DVD Profiler
post #1092 of 12047 Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks... those smileys were of joy (not doubt)

this can't pass and happen fast enough.

post #1093 of 12047 Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

With Comcast, the same DVR handles SD and HD. Only deterrent is if you don't order or have any HD programming.

Actually, it depends on your area. In Motorola areas, there is only one DVR that handles HD/SD. (Motorola just announced an SD DVR, but no word, AFAIK, when or if Comcast will carry it.) In SA areas, there is a choice of SD or HD DVRs.

With Comcast there are no HD packages per se. HD is included in Basic, Premiums, and Digital Classic.

Now if one has a Motorola DVR and an Analog TV, one will receive the HD channels downconverted based on existing subscription. And when one gets an HDTV, all that is needed is an HDMI, DVI, or Component cable, and HD is in full resolution.
post #1094 of 12047 Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Something on topic to think about. It appears that someone has let the cat out of the barn. Where is jwhip's input????

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=30
post #1095 of 12047 Old 05-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Hey guys, I was just in a Best Buy and in their TV area they had a partially built Comcast display. What got my attention was that on there list of HD channels next to ESPN HD they had HDNET next to it. The person in the area didn't have any info but he did tell me to come back later in the week when a Comcast Rep is usually their. This is Best Buy so who knows. Could just be a mistake....

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #1096 of 12047 Old 05-28-2006, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Sorry, been out of touch guys and will be until July. Look for an announcement of a new master contract between Disney and Comcast. Once that is announced, ESPN2HD should be rolled out in a number of markets with the bandwidth available shortly thereafter. I have not been advised that the master contract is finished. Should I hear more, I will post it. I know that ESPN2HD will be the next HD channel added. HDNet? I would be Shocked to see that but who knows? Comcast has been getting a lot of requests for it.
post #1097 of 12047 Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

Sorry, been out of touch guys and will be until July. Look for an announcement of a new master contract between Disney and Comcast. Once that is announced, ESPN2HD should be rolled out in a number of markets with the bandwidth available shortly thereafter. I have not been advised that the master contract is finished. Should I hear more, I will post it. I know that ESPN2HD will be the next HD channel added. HDNet? I would be Shocked to see that but who knows? Comcast has been getting a lot of requests for it.

JWhip, thanks, been waiting for your input. That is at least hopeful news for those of us waiting on ESPN2HD. I just hope that there is a chance that this could happen before the World Cup and that my area can handle it, which I think should be true since we had UHD during the Olympics without losing either of the INHD channels, though it disappeared right after the games concluded.

Fingers crossed.
post #1098 of 12047 Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanko View Post

Something on topic to think about. It appears that someone has let the cat out of the barn. Where is jwhip's input????

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=30

When I started that thread the effective date for ESPN2 HD for my area was July 1. Another zip code had June 1st. As it has been removed from both lineups, who knows if either was correct. We will find out in the next 3 to 34 days.

At least NFL Network HD is still listed for July 1, so that one is most likely correct. And I still have Universal HD. Three channels in the same year is a blistering pace for Comcast.

And let's not forget that MHD is also a strong possibility.

HDNet? Well, this year has been full of surprises. But that would top them all.

(Of course all of this is moot if FIOS shows up in my area. They seem to be making their way here.)

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1099 of 12047 Old 05-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

As I stated on another similar thread last week, TNT-HD is being added to channel 204 (also Current TV to channel 107, not an HD channel) on May 31. I got the message on my 6412 STB last week.
I live in central NJ.
post #1100 of 12047 Old 05-29-2006, 04:58 PM

Well, it looks like there will be changes happening in Indy at the end of this month for the HD lineup. I got a message on the first day of service (Friday) stating that the HD channels would be changing channels at the end of the month. Then another message today stating that the HD channels would be changing at the end of this month to allow more services or channels. This was a different message and said "more". So, I am assuming on May 31 the channel locations will change and on June 1 new channels will arrive.

We do not have UHD here or a few other channels listed on other systems. So, I am hoping that these are coming. I asked rep who installed my cable in the new place on Friday about UHD, MTVHD, National Geographic Channel HD, Food HD and HGTVHD. He said that he could not deny these are coming and that there were about 7 or 8 new channels coming in HD this summer to Comcast. I then asked about more local channels such as WNDY. He said that local HD channels will be coming, but he is not sure if these are part of the new channels or when they will be available. I was told that HDNet would NOT be on the Indianapolis Comcast system for a long time.

He did say there were other Digital Channels which would be coming soon. Seems odd that he would not deny the one set of channels and said channels were coming but basically said no on HDNet out right.

Wil Adams
Greenwood, Indiana
AT&T U-Verse Subscriber since June 2008
post #1101 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

JWhip, thanks for your feedack. Quick follow-up question: Do you know what is the plan to address the lack of bandwidth for the various Comcast systems that have yet to get TNT-HD, U-HD, for instance, the ones in Northern/Central NJ and in the CA Bay Area? Because it's been quite frustrating to see all these 850Mhz systems getting all new channels whereas most of the country doesn't get them.

Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: BBC America HD, BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD and ESPN Deportes HD
I miss my Fox Deportes on Sports Pak!
post #1102 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFan1 View Post

JWhip, thanks for your feedack. Quick follow-up question: Do you know what is the plan to address the lack of bandwidth for the various Comcast systems that have yet to get TNT-HD, U-HD, for instance, the ones in Northern/Central NJ and in the CA Bay Area? Because it's been quite frustrating to see all these 850Mhz systems getting all new channels whereas most of the country doesn't get them.

All Comcast cable Plants that use the following cable systems:

1) 54 Mhz - 550 Mhz System
2) 48 Mhz - 750 Mhz System
3) 42 Mhz - 850 Mhz system

are to be upgraded by end of 2008 to the current:

4) 5 MHz to 1000 MHz system.

Just give them some time to get it done. If you have a type 1 system, they will more then likely have to replace all of the coax from the drop point to the structure and the home owner will need to replace the inside coax and any spliters that do not have the new bandwith specs.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #1103 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

From 850 to 1000 MHz...hopefully a lot of that will go toward new HD channels. That's assuming I'm still with Comcast in 2008, which is highly unlikely.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1104 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just give them some time to get it done. If you have a type 1 system, they will more then likely have to replace all of the coax from the drop point to the structure and the home owner will need to replace the inside coax and any spliters that do not have the new bandwith specs.

So how does one determine which system they're on?

My DVD Profiler
post #1105 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:

The Chief Technology Officer for Comcast has said flat out that if 550 systems have not already been upgraded to 750 or 860 they're not going to be due to either/both cost and/or franchise issues.

Cable companies are installing 1Ghz equipment when doing maintenance or repair but a full 1Ghz system will be a long time coming, maybe by 2008 but that seems optimistic.

Good article at the following link John Mason posted in another thread about how cable is struggling with HD, primarily on how to get a return on the investment made to carry the additional channels. It seems currently that the cost to upgrade to carry more channels is not worth the investment since most cablecos do not charge a specific HD price.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA6319823.html
The Big Squeeze - 4/1/2006 - CED - CA6319823
post #1106 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 07:15 PM

I already get INHD2 BUT no sound. Does any one have a list of channels in fresno ca. area?
post #1107 of 12047 Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsxrd View Post

I already get INHD2 BUT no sound. Does any one have a list of channels in fresno ca. area?

You should try the local Fresno HDTV thread,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=1&pp=30
Fresno, CA - HDTV - AVS Forum
post #1108 of 12047 Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TNT-HD appeared this morning on channel 204 (South Jersey).

My DVD Profiler
post #1109 of 12047 Old 05-31-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:

TNT-HD appeared this morning on channel 204 (South Jersey).

Nothing here. I haven't gotten a message either. Maybe I should move a few miles to the south for more channels. :P
post #1110 of 12047 Old 05-31-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So how does one determine which system they're on?

The only way I could find out for sure was to look on the DPUC website for my state and find the franchise agreement and see what it said in there about upgrading the system and what deadline was set. I was also able to find a filing by the cable company that said they had completed the required upgrade to 750mhz and the date that it was completed.

Another way is to flip through the channels and go into the diagnostic screens and see what the highest frequency is that you can find. If you find one over 550mhz then you probably on a 750mhz system. If you find one over 750mhz then you're on a 850mhz system. Certainly a time consuming process.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page