Comcast HDTV - Page 400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11971 of 11993 Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46

#%@^$%&*^^*(%$^#@*&%$#@$^&&%$@^&&#@#%&%&*&*^$##@$#@@#$$%!!!!!!!!!

Sigh...Unscrambled QAM digital channels gone as of today on my system. No warning, no nothing. Poof. Gone. Bye-bye. Vamoosed. Outta here, Exitted, stage right.

Digital tuners on HDTVs...useless.

Digital tuners on my 3 dvd recorders...useless.

No more time shifting...

Can't use an antenna... digital broadcast signals don't reach me (back in ye ole analog days, I picked up everything).

Sure, they're giving out 1 free HD DTA-for a year, then the charges kick in.

I hate Concrap. Yes, I do...:mad: 

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 11993 Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

#%@^$%&*^^*(%$^#@*&%$#@$^&&%$@^&@#%&%&*&*^$##@$#@@#$$%!!!!!!!!!

Sigh...Unscrambled QAM digital channels gone as of today on my system. No warning, no nothing. Poof. Gone. Bye-bye. Vamoosed. Outta here, Exitted, stage right.

Digital tuners on HDTVs...useless.

Digital tuners on my 3 dvd recorders...useless.

No more time shifting...

Can't use an antenna... digital broadcast signals don't reach me (back in ye ole analog days, I picked up everything).

Sure, they're giving out 1 free HD DTA-for a year, then the charges kick in.

I hate Concrap. Yes, I do...mad.gif  
I suspect it was an insert with your bill and you didn't notice it.
post #11973 of 11993 Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46

No inserrt...no nothing.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #11974 of 11993 Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
^^^^^ to say that sucks is an understatement frown.gif
post #11975 of 11993 Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Groton system did that last Fall to us. Just as TV season starting. Made my internal Haupauge dual QAM tuner card useless. Even worse windows MCE 7 got the flag that the "locals" that used to be clear QAM on that tuner card were now encrypted and decided to also tag the feeds of those channels from a Silicone Dust Prime (w/Cable card so still got channels) as encrypted also when they weren't. So just having that Clear QAM tuner installed/plugged in made MCE 7 block my good feed from the network cable card tuner.

Man I was pissed as this wasn't obvious at first and all the main prime-time shows were just starting up again and getting recording (can't tune to channel type) errors.

Thought I'd mention this encase anyone else gets into a similar situation.

Still kind of sore for losing two extra tuners that got me the main locals (so I had 5 tuners when 2 were the clear QAM locals).
post #11976 of 11993 Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Congratulations To Comcast, Your 2014 Worst Company In America!
April 8, 2014

Four years since winning its first Worst Company tournament, Comcast’s doubted that the Kabletown Krusher could ever regain that 2010 form. But after a few years of letting others hold the title, Comcast was fiercely intent on bringing a second Golden Poo to its Philadelphia lair. And in one of the narrowest Final Death Matches in the centuries’ long history of WCIA battle, Comcast managed to hold the genetically modified body blows of Monsanto.

Full article at:

http://consumerist.com/2014/04/08/congratulations-to-comcast-your-2014-worst-company-in-america/
post #11977 of 11993 Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Congratulations To Comcast, Your 2014 Worst Company In America!
April 8, 2014

Four years since winning its first Worst Company tournament, Comcast’s doubted that the Kabletown Krusher could ever regain that 2010 form. But after a few years of letting others hold the title, Comcast was fiercely intent on bringing a second Golden Poo to its Philadelphia lair.

Lol. This is great. I'm switching from DirecTV to Comcast. It gets installed tomorrow. Bring on the golden poo. biggrin.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11978 of 11993 Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Their service works great when you get it working correctly (both HSI and cable). But if you have problems, especially with billing, they are all over the place.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #11979 of 11993 Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #11980 of 11993 Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The warnings have been everywhere regarding the switch.

You could always use another company that has everything available without a box in HD smile.gif

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #11981 of 11993 Old 04-23-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I bolted home. Want to make sure I'm here for the install. Here's hoping it all goes well with nary a hiccup.

Edit: He arrived an hour late and the work order was wrong. Not an encouraging start.

Edit 2: Well, they've earned their golden poo award. They completely screwed things up. The techs were great. A shout-out to them. But they were given a wrong work order. After 1.5 hours on the phone with CS to try and straighten it out, the bill is messed up, the service is messed up and they have to come back next week and do a reinstall. So right now we have the legacy system. We wanted the X1. I miss my DirecTV already. In all my years I should have know if it ain't broke don't fix it. I need an Advil and a whiskey.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11982 of 11993 Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Internal Comcast Memo Says Consumerist Is All About “Headlines,” So Here’s One For Them

Earlier this month, Consumerist readers voted to hand Comcast its second Worst Company In America title, the results undoubtedly tied to the cable company’s ill-advised decision to acquire equally cruddy pay-TV provider Time Warner Cable. But rather than own up to — or even ignore — its WCIA tournament victory, the company chose to send out a memo to thousands of employees name-checking Consumerist and accusing us of being all about making headlines.

....And Casey, like all his kin at Comcast, completely omits the work done by the American Customer Satisfaction Index, whose surveys put Comcast dead-last among ISPs and second only to TWC as the worst pay-TV provider.

Is Comcast actually the Worst Company In America? Consumerist voters said yes; that’s just as valid as a handful of foreign press reporters picking Golden Globe winners or silver-haired movie industry types selecting the Best Picture Oscar-winner.

If CR or Consumerist had done a survey that found Comcast to be among the best in its industry, you can bet that Casey and his fellow execs would be itching to use that to market their products (Thank god for a good No Commercial Use Policy).

But since we didn’t, the only thing they can do is try to discredit us. Better luck next time.

Full article at:

http://consumerist.com/2014/04/30/internal-comcast-memo-says-consumerist-is-all-about-headlines-so-heres-one-for-them/
post #11983 of 11993 Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Comcast.......

Just like in politics, don't like reality.....rephrase the results while ignoring the truth.

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #11984 of 11993 Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I notice all my DVR shows the audio is in 2.0. Same with on-demand. Even though my box is set to 'surround.' Watching normal cable tv I get 5.1. Is this normal?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11985 of 11993 Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I notice all my DVR shows the audio is in 2.0. Same with on-demand. Even though my box is set to 'surround.' Watching normal cable tv I get 5.1. Is this normal?

Number of audio channels available will vary by program. Are you finding that programs that air in 5.1 do not play back in 5.1 after being recorded to your DVR ? Do the On Demand programs state that 5.1 is available?
post #11986 of 11993 Old 05-10-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Number of audio channels available will vary by program. Are you finding that programs that air in 5.1 do not play back in 5.1 after being recorded to your DVR ? Do the On Demand programs state that 5.1 is available?

Yes, channels that state 5.1 are recorded in 2.0. Grimm on NBC is one for example. Also, after watching a recorded show, when switching back to cable tv, it stays in 2.0. I have to go into the menu and select 'stereo' then back to 'surround' and then 5.1 kicks in. Very bizarre.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11987 of 11993 Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Yes, channels that state 5.1 are recorded in 2.0. Grimm on NBC is one for example. Also, after watching a recorded show, when switching back to cable tv, it stays in 2.0. I have to go into the menu and select 'stereo' then back to 'surround' and then 5.1 kicks in. Very bizarre.
Strange. Do you have X1? Looks like this a common problem for some X1 boxes. Sounds like the workaround is to get a different box or use optical/coaxial instead of HDMI for audio.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-X1-Surround-Sound-Problems/td-p/1832025
post #11988 of 11993 Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Strange. Do you have X1? Looks like this a common problem for some X1 boxes. Sounds like the workaround is to get a different box or use optical/coaxial instead of HDMI for audio.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-X1-Surround-Sound-Problems/td-p/1832025

I do have the X1. Looks like this problem goes back to at least last year. The first post is from Sept. 2013. *sigh* I really don't want to deal with their CS over this. I can foresee a session of me banging my head against a wall.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11989 of 11993 Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Called Comcast CS today regarding my audio problems. The guy didn't quite understand what I was getting at until I said it's a known issue and being discussed on the Comcast forums. He put me on hold and came back saying "yes it is a known issue and their engineers are working on a solution." When I asked how long before the fix, he said about a month. In reality, he doesn't know when the fix will be available. Because it's not the X1 box at fault, they can't get me a new box. So I guess I have to slum it with 2 channel audio until the fix arrives. It's always something.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11990 of 11993 Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Called Comcast CS today regarding my audio problems. The guy didn't quite understand what I was getting at until I said it's a known issue and being discussed on the Comcast forums. He put me on hold and came back saying "yes it is a known issue and their engineers are working on a solution." When I asked how long before the fix, he said about a month. In reality, he doesn't know when the fix will be available. Because it's not the X1 box at fault, they can't get me a new box. So I guess I have to slum it with 2 channel audio until the fix arrives. It's always something.
Sounds like the X1 box to me, they've been pushing that box pretty hard so the less complaints they can attribute to it the better they look.

A simple way to check if it's the X1 or not is get a regular DVR from them and use it for a day or so, I'll bet your audio problems disappear.

I haven't been to Planet Wabo so I don't know if others there have been having this problem as well, you might check in the local thread for Planet Wabo. biggrin.gif
post #11991 of 11993 Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Sounds like the X1 box to me, they've been pushing that box pretty hard so the less complaints they can attribute to it the better they look.

A simple way to check if it's the X1 or not is get a regular DVR from them and use it for a day or so, I'll bet your audio problems disappear.

I haven't been to Planet Wabo so I don't know if others there have been having this problem as well, you might check in the local thread for Planet Wabo. biggrin.gif

Lol. Planet Wabo is thinking of enacting the 'cut the cord completely' option. This has been a headache from the start.

I'm sure the X1 box is at least partly to blame, if not entirely. They won't give me a new box because they say it's on their end, not the boxes, and they're working on a fix. I need a couple ibuprofen every time I hang up with them.

I don't have access to any other DVRs. Unless you want to book a flight to Planet Wabo and bring yours along.biggrin.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11992 of 11993 Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Lol. Planet Wabo is thinking of enacting the 'cut the cord completely' option. This has been a headache from the start.

I'm sure the X1 box is at least partly to blame, if not entirely. They won't give me a new box because they say it's on their end, not the boxes, and they're working on a fix. I need a couple ibuprofen every time I hang up with them.

I don't have access to any other DVRs. Unless you want to book a flight to Planet Wabo and bring yours along.biggrin.gif
If they say it's on their end then tell them you want a discounted rate until it's fixed or you'll cancel the service, that is if you're prepared to use the nuclear option.

They tried to get me to take one of those X1's but I did some research, even on Comcast's own forums, and decided it was not even close to being ready for prime time, way too many problems. I just sold my older TiVos and got a new 4-tuner model, and the best thing about is, it works. smile.gif
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #11993 of 11993 Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
does anyone have 2 HD feeds of The Weather Channel on their system? currently Fall River is showing HD National Information as of 12:05pm today on both channels 47/847 and did have the HD Local Forecast from Concord, NH (IntelliStar 2) on Channel 47 as of this morning before disappearing at the time above.

Xbox Live: gt1racerlHDl
post #11994 of 11993 Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had nothing but headaches since getting the X1 platform. Tonight I'm in the middle of a Game of Thrones episode On-Demand and half way through I get this error code: XRE-22 SRM-8107

The Comcast trouble shooting website gives this in depth and extensive explanation:

"Cause and Troubleshooting Steps:
An attempt to watch an XFINITY On Demand program failed. Please wait a few minutes and then try to play the program again, or choose another video." rolleyes.gif

No s**t!!!!!mad.gif

Now a couple hours later I still get the same error code. I don't have much wall space left where I can bang my head.mad.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11995 of 11993 Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I used to be early adopter of tech, spent $35k on computers 1984-1995, then I learned to let others fund the R&D and be guinea pig.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #11996 of 11993 Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I have had nothing but headaches since getting the X1 platform. Tonight I'm in the middle of a Game of Thrones episode On-Demand and half way through I get this error code: XRE-22 SRM-8107

The Comcast trouble shooting website gives this in depth and extensive explanation:

"Cause and Troubleshooting Steps:
An attempt to watch an XFINITY On Demand program failed. Please wait a few minutes and then try to play the program again, or choose another video."

No s**t!!!!!

Now a couple hours later I still get the same error code. I don't have much wall space left where I can bang my head.

I get that same message from time to time. Also, sometimes the video freezes and this can happen with On Demand as well as live programming. For the Live programming, I just change the channel and go back to the original. For the On Demand, I pause than start playing again. Usually that restores the service.

Does anyone know why the above happens? I'm wondering if there's too much demand for the cable's carrying capacity. For example, there's a throughput demand of say 1.05 Gb/s but the cable can only support 1 Gb/s. Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh yeah something else, my ex has exfinity for her telephone service. Sometimes there's a flutter in her voice (dropouts), like the voice packets aren't getting through. Is the telephony equipment servicing her line over subscribed? Its an intermittent problem, and quality is sometimes worse than others. Maybe they aren't allocated enough bandwidth to voice? I told her to dump the cable for phone service and go back to Century Link. At least there's a land line that will work when the power is off. Cable for telephony, its not just a bad idea, its a very bad idea imho.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page