4Likes

post #12061 of 12064 Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Geez, I thought I'd sign up with Comcast for TV to bundle and save a little money. I currently have DirecTV, but Comcast for internet/phone.

What a crock. To be able to timeshift live TV I'd have to get two X1 DVRs that can't play back each others recordings. The second DVR would cost me $20 a month, on top of the $18 a month for the first one!

Both my DVRs from DirecTV cost me $10 a month, and they can talk to each other. This includes a HR24 and HR34.

I could go with one of the X1 sub boxes in my bedroom and loft, but then would be giving up live TV timeshifting in those rooms. (Recording a program so I can pause just doesn't cut it in 2014.)

Can any Comcast customers show me a better option to get Comcast TV with live TV timeshifting in two rooms, plus being able to watch from any recordings in a third room without paying through the nose?

Yes, I looked at TiVo, but paying hundreds of dollars for a box, then paying hundreds of dollars for guide data, then paying monthly for a CableCard is no better financially.

A very perturbed Mr Zoid
Comcast now has what is called Whole Home DVR. I have two X1 DVR's and they each have 4 tuners. That means I can record 8 shows at the same time. And I can watch all recorded shows on either DVR and on either of my companion RNG150's that my grown son has and the one in my wife's sewing rooms.

It may be a bitch to get it installed correctly, including the proper rate codes. And if you con't have a clean signal all the way to the servers, service might be spotty. Comcast should do a "home run" from all your devices to an EVO lossless "splitter".

My service in Houston is as good as I can expect. Some of the new bells and whistles may not work because they constantly upgrade. A cloud-based system is going to have growing pains. Next year should see the ability to not rely on the hard drives of the DVR's if they can get the traffic managed correctly.

I am quite happy with mine.

But if you go to the X1 forum, there are a lot of unhappy customers.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1

Robert

Last edited by RobertWy; 11-18-2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Add X1 forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12064 Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've shied away from the X1 boxes because of the reported problems, at least until Comcast gets the major bugs worked out. I use the Whole Home DVR system, but with 2 DVRs and 2 subboxes. I can record 4 shows at a time (2 on each DVR), and pause and rewind live TV on those boxes. In the rooms with the 2 subboxes, I can watch any of the programs recorded on either of the DVRs, although they can't pause live TV.

The biggest glitch I've had is sometimes the listing of recorded programs gets mixed up when I'm recording onto both DVRs at the same time, so the program will be recorded but the wrong title is listed. I also can't watch shows on the DVR that were recorded on the other DVR.

It's not the most elegant system, but still preferable to me versus the crappy U-verse PQ I had previously. Plus, I have buffers for watching two live football games at the same time which I didn't get with U-verse. I realize that may not be important to a lot people, but it's a big deal for me. I don't know how the cost compares to DirecTV, but it was about a wash compared to U-verse.
post #12063 of 12064 Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Can any Comcast customers show me a better option to get Comcast TV with live TV timeshifting in two rooms, plus being able to watch from any recordings in a third room without paying through the nose?

Yes, I looked at TiVo, but paying hundreds of dollars for a box, then paying hundreds of dollars for guide data, then paying monthly for a CableCard is no better financially.

A very perturbed Mr Zoid
zoid-man, if you can grab a moxi base unit and a moxi-mate or two from ebay, you might really like that solution.
one cablecard (free) goes into the base unit, and provides you the 2 or 3 tuner capability.

Moxi is an "orphaned" product but the folks at Arris are kindly keeping their servers/whatever running, so that the thousands of moxi customers can avoid renting comcast boxes and avoid paying tivo monthly.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #12064 of 12064 Old Today, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I know you looked into TiVo, but I'd still recommend it as TiVo is currently running a sale and financially it is better.

Pair a TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro ($325 or $500 plus service fee) with a couple of Minis ($150 each with no service fee) and you'll end up saving money compared with X1's $552 a year for two boxes anyway. If you pay the $500 for lifetime service and get the cheaper Roamio Plus and a Mini you'll break even in less than 2 years and unlike Comcast's boxes, if you move and don't need them anymore you can sell TiVo boxes with lifetime service for at least the price of lifetime service, meaning you can get the $500 back at some point in the future.

Also Comcast doesn't charge a CableCard fee. They actually give you a small (around $2.50 a month) discount.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page