Comcast HDTV - Page 404 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #12091 of 12094 Unread 10-18-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 460
They've had 1080p stuff in VOD for a long time now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 12094 Unread 10-18-2015, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Comcast HD changing to MPEG-4 compression

In case this has escaped one's notice, Comcast is currently in the process of changing the compression method for HD channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. They are doing it in several regions at a time.

The potential advantages of MPEG-4 over MPEG-2 are:
  • Improved picture quality. (That is what Comcast is claiming, though it depends on just how much over-compression they do.)
  • A recording on the DVR will take less space. I have seen numbers like being able to store 2 to 3 times the amount of HD content (so if one could record up to 60 hours of HD content, if the channels have been changed to MPEG-4, it would be 120 to 180 hours of HD content).
  • It frees up cable bandwidth for DOCSIS 3.1 and much faster Internet speeds. (Comcast isn't outright advertising this one to the TV customers, but it is being mentioned in other places.)
  • It gives marketers a new buzzword. In this case, redeploying an HD channel with MPEG-4 is what Comcast advertising is calling "HD Enhanced", and what I am calling "the HD picture quality we should have been getting".

The disadvantages of going to MPEG-4 for HD are:
  • Old CPE (customer premises equipment, i.e., Comcast boxes in our homes and businesses) may have to be replaced if those CPEs don't decompress MPEG-4.
  • Incompatible customer equipment (such as some models of Tivo and other DVRs) may have to be upgraded or replaced.

Comcast is converting a few regions at a time. This is a list of areas that have already started the transition (courtesy of https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...Select-Markets):
Quote:
California

• Central, CA
  • Fresno, CA
  • Sacramento, CA
Georgia

• Augusta, GA
  • Atlanta, GA
Illinois

• Champaign, IL
  • Chicago, IL
  • Springfield, IL
Indiana

• South Bend, IN
Oregon

• Portland, OR
Tennessee

• Nashville, TN
Only HD channels are being moved to MPEG-4; the SD channels will continue on MPEG-2. If you do not have HD service (that is, you have SD-only service, or you watch exclusively SD channels), you will not be affected.

Also, I have seen conflicting information on whether local HD channels will remain MPEG-2 or will be recompressed using MPEG-4. (I have seen second-hand reports go both ways, but I haven't yet seen an official Comcast announcement clarifying this.)

There is already a lot of Comcast equipment in people's homes that can already handle MPEG-4: all X1 boxes, all RNG150 and RNG200 boxes, and there may be others. (The RNG* designation is Comcast's relabeling the front of the box, e.g., the HD DVR I have shows "RNG200N" on the faceplate, but the FCC sticker on the bottom identifies it as a Motorola DCX3501.)

This is what should be happening in an area that is currently being upgraded: if Comcast records show that you have an incompatible box, there should be a note in your monthly statement, and you should also receive a separate letter. The letter will also direct you to http://www.xfinity.com/hdenhanced (which appears to be a generic site since you can look at it without being logged in, and the date shown there doesn't seem to be tied to either your region nor to your account, and it doesn't really say anything that isn't already in the letter).

When the box swap is available in your area, channel 1995 should appear in your lineup. (Here in Salem, which is an hour's drive south of Portland, Oregon, channel 1995 is labeled "Enhanced Service Check".) When channel 1995 is active, if you tune each of the Comcast-provided HD box to 1995, it will check that box and either tell you "This set-top box is good to go!" or give you a message that the specific box needs replacing. If it needs replacing, self-install kits can be acquired for free (either by stopping at the Xfinity store or by requesting a box shipment) and the old box should be returned within 30 days. (Having an installer comes out will cost money.) Equipment swaps will be for similar-functioning equipment (e.g., an HD DTA for a MPEG-4-compatible HD DTA, or a HD DVR for a MPEG-4-capable HD DVR) and should not affect your monthly bill.

Note: Channel 1995 works only for Comcast-provided boxes; for third-party boxes (e.g., Tivo), this check won't work (e.g., screen goes blank) and you would have to consult the vendor to see if your box is compatible (e.g., the Tivo article I quoted from, which lists compatible and incompatible Tivo models after the section that lists the regions currently affected).

CableCARDs are compression-agnostic, it is up to the device they are plugged in to handle MPEG-4 compression, such as a Tivo, a CableCARD-ready TV, a tuner card in a PC. Again, Channel 1995 won't work and won't tell you whether or not the specific device is compatible unless the specific device is a Comcast-provided HD box. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some people on this forum who have a CableCARD in their TVs and find out that their TVs don't have the ability to decompress MPEG-4 so they end up having to buy or rent a box to continue watching shows in HD. (I don't think all CableCARD capable TVs also had MPEG-4 decoders.)

If you are in a Comcast area that is not currently switching over to MPEG-4 and channel 1995 is not available in your lineup, the equipment swap will not be available at that time.

Note: if you have a Comcast-rented HD DVR that is incompatible and thus will need a box swap, keep in mind the recordings and schedules in the DVR will not transfer over to the new box. Even if you had supplied an external disk for the DVR, the programs will not play if you connect that disk to another DVR. When my previous RNG200N HD DVR died, I did a mixture of Video-On-Demand, catch re-broadcasts, go to the networks' sites for online viewing of past episodes, and in a few cases there was no choice but to do without. With the equipment swap, at least one can attempt to catch up on at least the shows and movies that aren't available by other means to minimize what one permanently loses with the equipment swap. I have seen the suggestion that one could "play" various shows to a VCR or to a DVD recorder to save them, but my concern would be whether copy protection would be active on the output of the DVR and prevent the VCR or DVD recorder from recording that program.

My expectation is that when Comcast starts moving HD channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, it will be a few channels at a time, so those with incompatible equipment might notice a few HD channels becoming incompatible or unavailable, followed a few days or a week later by a few more HD channels unavailable, maybe over the course of 2 to 4 months. And, if one is using Comcast boxes, the channel numbers would probably remain mostly unchanged, even though behind the scenes the HD channels are probably moving from one QAM and subchannel number to another QAM and subchannel number. The cable boxes seem to be good at hiding these messy details, but some equipment might not be so good, e.g., a TV that has a CableCARD and can decode MPEG-4 may have to rescan to find new real channel / subchannel numbers of one's favorite channels, whether or not they maintain the original virtual channel numbers. I don't know how other equipment, such as Tivo, handle these messy details.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, PC (Windows 7), Xfinity Internet (160Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola DCX3501, Xfinity faceplate: RNG200N), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred Plus), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
post #12093 of 12094 Unread 11-14-2015, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
In case this has escaped one's notice, Comcast is currently in the process of changing the compression method for HD channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. They are doing it in several regions at a time.

The potential advantages of MPEG-4 over MPEG-2 are:
  • Improved picture quality. (That is what Comcast is claiming, though it depends on just how much over-compression they do.)
  • A recording on the DVR will take less space. I have seen numbers like being able to store 2 to 3 times the amount of HD content (so if one could record up to 60 hours of HD content, if the channels have been changed to MPEG-4, it would be 120 to 180 hours of HD content).
  • It frees up cable bandwidth for DOCSIS 3.1 and much faster Internet speeds. (Comcast isn't outright advertising this one to the TV customers, but it is being mentioned in other places.)
  • It gives marketers a new buzzword. In this case, redeploying an HD channel with MPEG-4 is what Comcast advertising is calling "HD Enhanced", and what I am calling "the HD picture quality we should have been getting".

The disadvantages of going to MPEG-4 for HD are:
  • Old CPE (customer premises equipment, i.e., Comcast boxes in our homes and businesses) may have to be replaced if those CPEs don't decompress MPEG-4.
  • Incompatible customer equipment (such as some models of Tivo and other DVRs) may have to be upgraded or replaced.

Comcast is converting a few regions at a time. This is a list of areas that have already started the transition (courtesy of https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...Select-Markets):

Only HD channels are being moved to MPEG-4; the SD channels will continue on MPEG-2. If you do not have HD service (that is, you have SD-only service, or you watch exclusively SD channels), you will not be affected.

Also, I have seen conflicting information on whether local HD channels will remain MPEG-2 or will be recompressed using MPEG-4. (I have seen second-hand reports go both ways, but I haven't yet seen an official Comcast announcement clarifying this.)

There is already a lot of Comcast equipment in people's homes that can already handle MPEG-4: all X1 boxes, all RNG150 and RNG200 boxes, and there may be others. (The RNG* designation is Comcast's relabeling the front of the box, e.g., the HD DVR I have shows "RNG200N" on the faceplate, but the FCC sticker on the bottom identifies it as a Motorola DCX3501.)

This is what should be happening in an area that is currently being upgraded: if Comcast records show that you have an incompatible box, there should be a note in your monthly statement, and you should also receive a separate letter. The letter will also direct you to http://www.xfinity.com/hdenhanced (which appears to be a generic site since you can look at it without being logged in, and the date shown there doesn't seem to be tied to either your region nor to your account, and it doesn't really say anything that isn't already in the letter).

When the box swap is available in your area, channel 1995 should appear in your lineup. (Here in Salem, which is an hour's drive south of Portland, Oregon, channel 1995 is labeled "Enhanced Service Check".) When channel 1995 is active, if you tune each of the Comcast-provided HD box to 1995, it will check that box and either tell you "This set-top box is good to go!" or give you a message that the specific box needs replacing. If it needs replacing, self-install kits can be acquired for free (either by stopping at the Xfinity store or by requesting a box shipment) and the old box should be returned within 30 days. (Having an installer comes out will cost money.) Equipment swaps will be for similar-functioning equipment (e.g., an HD DTA for a MPEG-4-compatible HD DTA, or a HD DVR for a MPEG-4-capable HD DVR) and should not affect your monthly bill.

Note: Channel 1995 works only for Comcast-provided boxes; for third-party boxes (e.g., Tivo), this check won't work (e.g., screen goes blank) and you would have to consult the vendor to see if your box is compatible (e.g., the Tivo article I quoted from, which lists compatible and incompatible Tivo models after the section that lists the regions currently affected).

CableCARDs are compression-agnostic, it is up to the device they are plugged in to handle MPEG-4 compression, such as a Tivo, a CableCARD-ready TV, a tuner card in a PC. Again, Channel 1995 won't work and won't tell you whether or not the specific device is compatible unless the specific device is a Comcast-provided HD box. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some people on this forum who have a CableCARD in their TVs and find out that their TVs don't have the ability to decompress MPEG-4 so they end up having to buy or rent a box to continue watching shows in HD. (I don't think all CableCARD capable TVs also had MPEG-4 decoders.)

If you are in a Comcast area that is not currently switching over to MPEG-4 and channel 1995 is not available in your lineup, the equipment swap will not be available at that time.

Note: if you have a Comcast-rented HD DVR that is incompatible and thus will need a box swap, keep in mind the recordings and schedules in the DVR will not transfer over to the new box. Even if you had supplied an external disk for the DVR, the programs will not play if you connect that disk to another DVR. When my previous RNG200N HD DVR died, I did a mixture of Video-On-Demand, catch re-broadcasts, go to the networks' sites for online viewing of past episodes, and in a few cases there was no choice but to do without. With the equipment swap, at least one can attempt to catch up on at least the shows and movies that aren't available by other means to minimize what one permanently loses with the equipment swap. I have seen the suggestion that one could "play" various shows to a VCR or to a DVD recorder to save them, but my concern would be whether copy protection would be active on the output of the DVR and prevent the VCR or DVD recorder from recording that program.

My expectation is that when Comcast starts moving HD channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, it will be a few channels at a time, so those with incompatible equipment might notice a few HD channels becoming incompatible or unavailable, followed a few days or a week later by a few more HD channels unavailable, maybe over the course of 2 to 4 months. And, if one is using Comcast boxes, the channel numbers would probably remain mostly unchanged, even though behind the scenes the HD channels are probably moving from one QAM and subchannel number to another QAM and subchannel number. The cable boxes seem to be good at hiding these messy details, but some equipment might not be so good, e.g., a TV that has a CableCARD and can decode MPEG-4 may have to rescan to find new real channel / subchannel numbers of one's favorite channels, whether or not they maintain the original virtual channel numbers. I don't know how other equipment, such as Tivo, handle these messy details.
You can add Normal, IL to that list. I just got my letter today. As long as my Ceton ETH6 can handle it, I'll actually appreciate the change since it should take up less space per show. Though I'm not sure if the OTA equivalent channels will also switch to MPEG-4?
post #12094 of 12094 Unread 11-17-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 102
From a letter to the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority

As part of our ongoing commitment to keep you informed, we want to let you know that Comcast’s right to continue carrying YES Network will expire on November 17, 2015. We have been negotiating with YES Network’s majority owner, 21st Century Fox (“Fox”), but those negotiations have reached an impasse. Upon expiration, Comcast will lose its right to continue carrying YES Network under its existing carriage agreement and will have to remove the channel from our lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming