QZ1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

There is some sense to it as I do not get the SD versions. The way I see it,one needs to get HBO in order to get HBO-HD. I don't get ESPN2 Why get ESPN2-HD?

OTOH in many areas Digital classic is available only with stadnard cable.

I wouldn't keep Digital Classic for Discovery, Universal, and INHD. I didn't see the correlation at first, but now I remember Disc-HD is not a simulcast of Disc-SD, and the others obviously have no SD equivilants. But, I don't know, I think they would have made them Expd. channels by, but maybe not.

The thing with Expd. is that here it's ~$16 more than my sub to Digital Plus (including STB), but worse yet, they require a Digital tier for the DVR, so to keep the DVR, I would have to keep Digital Plus, or go to Classic (minus $5), but add ~$32 for Expd.

I would opt to either go to FIOS or buy my own Tivo S3 Dual-tuner HD DVR, and rent an M-CableCard or two CCs, then I could get whatever tiers I want, in this scenario, just get Std, still more $, though.

Oh, and there is no reason to make Digital Classic subs get Expd., other than profit, of course. What you said about HD makes sense, and many people want Expd., but then have pay for Digital Classic for HD duplicates of SD, then they wouldn't have to, unless they want HD exclusives. It is people like us who would lose $.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I wouldn't keep Digital Classic for Discovery, Universal, and INHD. I didn't see the correlation at first, but now I remember Disc-HD is not a simulcast of Disc-SD, and the others obviously have no SD equivilants. But, I don't know, I think they would have made them Expd. channels by, but maybe not.

The thing with Expd. is that here it's ~$16 more than my sub to Digital Plus (including STB), but worse yet, they require a Digital tier for the DVR, so to keep the DVR, I would have to keep Digital Plus, or go to Classic (minus $5), but add ~$32 for Expd.

I would opt to either go to FIOS or buy my own Tivo S3 Dual-tuner HD DVR, and rent an M-CableCard or two CCs, then I could get whatever tiers I want, in this scenario, just get Std, still more $, though.

Oh, and there is no reason to make Digital Classic subs get Expd., other than profit, of course. What you said about HD makes sense, and many people want Expd., but then have pay for Digital Classic for HD duplicates of SD, then they wouldn't have to, unless they want HD exclusives. It is people like us who would lose $.

It would be nice if they used the same language to describe tiers and packages across the system.
Here Digital Classic is not an add on package but a tier that includes standard cable plus some additional digital channels and costs $57.11 and Digital Plus adds a handful more channels and costs $62.11. The least expensive digital "anything" is called Enhanced cable and is the same lineup as Standard cable but you get a digital box for $48.16
post #1353 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobColby View Post

The post you based your post on was in error (at least it doesn't reflect currently-known facts). MOJO is not a new channel, it is a block of programming (five new series) that will be running on INHD, as is clearly stated in the press release in the thread you just posted. Who knows, maybe they are testing the waters for a new channel, but they haven't come out and said so just yet.

I'm actually more interested in your source for the "shutoff in July, anyway" part. I've seen that before, but not with a pointer to hard facts backing it up. I note that the current INHD.com schedule only goes to 6/29, but I don't know how far ahead they go normally, so I don't know if that means anything.

UPDATE: Corrected the number of programs in the current MOJO block.

Bob,

As I noted in the Boston Thread, mojohd.com redirects you to a mojo branded inhd listing, so perhaps inhd2 is being re-branded as MOJO.

-Ken
post #1354 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Bob,

As I noted in the Boston Thread, mojohd.com redirects you to a mojo branded inhd listing, so perhaps inhd2 is being re-branded as MOJO.

-Ken

No, INHD2 is not being rebranded as Mojo.

GoIrish
post #1355 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Oh, and there is no reason to make Digital Classic subs get Expd., other than profit, of course

Exactly. Comcast pays Discovery, NESN, TNT, ESPN2 all out of the revenues from Expanded Basic customers. There's no reason in any business model why you would get their equivalents included in the digital classic tier. You are not paying for those channels with that package. All businesses are seeking to maximize profits, Comcast should be no different.

According to the Comcast Website, you pay for with digital classic (minus the expanded basic channels if you don't subscribe to that tier):
Quote:

Comcast's Digital Classic package includes all of the following:
* Digital Classic Channels
* Digital Music Channels
* Limited Basic Channels
* Expanded Basic Channels
* Interactive Onscreen Program Guide
* Access to ON DEMAND movies and free programming!

Bonus Information: If you have an HDTV-Ready or HDTV-Capable television set, Comcast can offer you up to 10 channels in High Definition Format.
* Up to 1080i resolution and Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
* HDTV channels include ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ESPN HD, INHD, INHD2, Showtime, HBO and Starz!

post #1356 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Bob,

-Ken

I've seen that page, and I don't read it that way. I think they're just trying to give a distinct brand identity to that group of five series.

If you look at the INHD2 schedule up until 6/29 (as far as it goes), you can see that there is no MOJO-related programming, it's all on the main INHD channel. Not surpring, since the phrase "MOJO on INHD" appears several times on that page.

I think it is possible that this is a trial balloon for a new channel in the future, but they have not come out and said that yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1357 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobColby View Post

I've seen that page, and I don't read it that way. I think they're just trying to give a distinct brand identity to that group of five series.

If you look at the INHD2 schedule up until 6/29 (as far as it goes), you can see that there is no MOJO-related programming, it's all on the main INHD channel. Not surpring, since the phrase "MOJO on INHD" appears several times on that page.

I think it is possible that this is a trial balloon for a new channel in the future, but they have not come out and said that yet.

You are correct, and INHD2 is not going away. Press release from Broadcast & Cable Magazine:

Reports the trade magazine Broadcast & Cable:

"In Demand Networks is launching a primetime block of original series for the young, upscale, male audience it targets with its INHD high-definition network. The block, MOJO, is slated to launch June 18 on INHD and run Sundays and Wednesdays from 9 p.m. to midnight.

The company is developing nine lifestyle series for the block, and aims to have six ready for MOJO's launch. They include Three Sheets, a comedic travel series on local drinking customs; Decades, a 90-minute concert series; Technical Difficulties, a scavenger hunt reality series involving hot gadgets; and Wall Street Warriors, a documentary series about hotshot finance execs.

In Demand's INHD reaches some 4 million homes with digital cable and high-definition TVs. The sports, movies and music displaced by the new MOJO programming will likely run on companion network INHD2."

article about naming Mojo
post #1358 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:

You are correct, and INHD2 is not going away. Press release from Broadcast & Cable Magazine:

Reports the trade magazine Broadcast & Cable:

"In Demand Networks is launching a primetime block of original series for the young, upscale, male audience it targets with its INHD high-definition network. The block, MOJO, is slated to launch June 18 on INHD and run Sundays and Wednesdays from 9 p.m. to midnight.

The company is developing nine lifestyle series for the block, and aims to have six ready for MOJO's launch. They include Three Sheets, a comedic travel series on local drinking customs; Decades, a 90-minute concert series; Technical Difficulties, a scavenger hunt reality series involving hot gadgets; and Wall Street Warriors, a documentary series about hotshot finance execs.

In Demand's INHD reaches some 4 million homes with digital cable and high-definition TVs. The sports, movies and music displaced by the new MOJO programming will likely run on companion network INHD2."

article about naming Mojo

Good to know, interesting link!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1359 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That's just a news story, not a press release. They might be wrong to say that programming will be moved to InHD2. I've read that programming that previously appeared on InHD2 has been scheduled on InHD for upcoming weeks. My guess is that the rumor of InHD2's demise is true.
post #1360 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer View Post

My guess is that the rumor of InHD2's demise is true.

It certainly is dead and buried in Seattle.
post #1361 of 12054 Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The MOJO programs are on INHD on Sunday according to my onscreen guide.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1362 of 12054 Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
INHD2 is VERY MUCH ALIVE with Comcast Boston.
post #1363 of 12054 Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

INHD2 is VERY MUCH ALIVE with Comcast Boston.

Here is a thought.... There are rumors that INHD2 is dead July first. Makes sense to transition the Red Sox to their own channel several weeks ahead of time before INHD2 goes away. Here in the Boston area, the program guide for INHD2 is blank, and they are encouraging subscribers to watch the sox on 851.

And if INHD2 is going away July 1, what will replace it ? National Geo HD ??

UPDATE: The guide is back for INHD2, and it does not include the sox info.

MHD is now dolby digital here in Chelmsford as well.

-Ken
post #1364 of 12054 Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

INHD2 is still alive in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg system) on 227. We also have UHD (215), TNT-HD (249), ESPN2HD (253).

I'm hoping for FoodHD sooner rather than later. My wife watches a lot of those shows - Everyday Italian, Barefoot Contessa, etc.

I'd also like to see Comcast pick up FSN Pittsburgh in HD. Both Adelphia and Armstrong cable in this area have it. They haven't done a lot of Pirates and Penguins games yet, but it's increasing and we're missing out.
post #1365 of 12054 Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

It would be nice if they used the same language to describe tiers and packages across the system.
Here Digital Classic is not an add on package but a tier that includes standard cable plus some additional digital channels and costs $57.11 and Digital Plus adds a handful more channels and costs $62.11. The least expensive digital "anything" is called Enhanced cable and is the same lineup as Standard cable but you get a digital box for $48.16

Well, in our area, the pamphlet now lists a 'package' of 'Digital Classic with Standard', and a 'service' of 'Digital Classic'. And the pamphlet is what the FCC mandates the MSO's official info. to be.

Now, if you look at our local site, which is just a sales tool, they sell everything in a tiered manner. On their site, 'Digital Classic', really is Digital Classic with Standard, (one can tell from the price, and I think it mentions Std., also), and it's the only way it can be ordered online.
But per Comcast's pamphlet, one can phone or chat, and Expanded is not needed, their decision, in this case.

Also, online, they only offer Premiums with Digital Silver or higher (it includes Std., Digital Plus, and a Premium).
In reality, Basic is all that is needed to get a Premium, as per FCC mandate.
post #1366 of 12054 Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote, QZ1:
Oh, and there is no reason to make Digital Classic subs get Expd., other than profit, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternPJ View Post

Exactly. Comcast pays Discovery, NESN, TNT, ESPN2 all out of the revenues from Expanded Basic customers. There's no reason in any business model why you would get their equivalents included in the digital classic tier. You are not paying for those channels with that package. All businesses are seeking to maximize profits, Comcast should be no different.

According to the Comcast Website, you pay for with digital classic (minus the expanded basic channels if you don't subscribe to that tier):
Quote:

Comcast's Digital Classic package includes all of the following:
* Digital Classic Channels
* Digital Music Channels
* Limited Basic Channels
* Expanded Basic Channels
* Interactive Onscreen Program Guide
* Access to ON DEMAND movies and free programming!

Bonus Information: If you have an HDTV-Ready or HDTV-Capable television set, Comcast can offer you up to 10 channels in High Definition Format.
* Up to 1080i resolution and Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
* HDTV channels include ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ESPN HD, INHD, INHD2, Showtime, HBO and Starz!

That's not what I said, read above again.
My point was, if one just wants Digital Classic, that is what they should give, but they don't in some areas.

You seem to imply that Expanded subs should get 'cable network' HD.
If so, I say, apparently, Comcast has the right, per channel agreements, to charge separately for SD and HD channels, (except Locals), whether people think it is fair or not.

You quoted from their site, it is a sales tool, it won't show the Digital Classic 'service', just the 'package', which includes Std.
Furthermore, even what you quoted, doesn't mention HD channels, only in 'Bonus info', mentioning all of the HD available.

According to our local Comcast pamphlet, wich is what the FCC mandates to be the MSO's official info., HD channels are each marked as being part of Basic, a Premium, or Digital Classic.
(It doesn't say 'Digital Classic with Standard', which is the 'package' moniker here.)

The HD 'cable networks' are marked 'Digital Classic'.
So, yes, we are paying for them with just Digital Classic (or Plus) 'service'.

Do you know for a fact that HD 'cable networks' aren't payed for based on Digital Classic sub numbers?
I bet they are, it is all subject to negotiation.

They can maximize profit, as they do in some areas with their pre-requisites, and if they do that here, I can also choose another provider.
post #1367 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

South jersey june 28th, Universal HD channel 208
post #1368 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Message on my box this morning says TNT-HD coming June 28th (Channel 204, Comcast, Union NJ).

The bad news is they are also adding something called GAC, Travel Channel, TBN, Oxygen and The Word - channels I'm sure I'll never watch. Why not use the bandwidth for another HD channel?
post #1369 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Message on my box this morning says TNT-HD coming June 28th (Channel 204, Comcast, Union NJ).

The bad news is they are also adding something called GAC, Travel Channel, TBN, Oxygen and The Word - channels I'm sure I'll never watch. Why not use the bandwidth for another HD channel?

thanks for the info... that makes 2 HD additions (ESPN2 & TNT) in a month in our area. (i never check those "messages" and don't even know how to read them).

no doubt this is a direct result of the FIOS legislation that opens up services statewide in NJ

proof again that competition is good

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #1370 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Will Comcast actually do this? If so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

June 8, 2006
Dear MHz Fan:

Comcast and MHz have recently concluded an agreement that is beneficial to both companies. MHz will be able to place additional international channels on Comcast's digital cable platform in the Washington, D.C. market. These channels will help expand MHz's financial base. As a result Comcast viewers without digital cable will lose MHz's primary feed -- temporarily. Comcast expects the build-out of their digital cable service to take 12 to 24 months when ALL homes will have digital cable. When completed MHz's main feed will once again be seen in all Washington, D.C. area Comcast homes in addition to three new MHz channels....

http://www.mhznetworks.org/news/1250
post #1371 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Comcast expects the build-out of their digital cable service to take 12 to 24 months when ALL homes will have digital cable.

http://www.mhznetworks.org/news/1250

Interesting. Remember though, that some higher-up dude at Comcast has said that about 20 channels will remain analog for a few years. This could mean that Comcast will be going down to the 20 in 12-24 months.
post #1372 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 02:58 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Interesting. Remember though, that some higher-up dude at Comcast has said that about 20 channels will remain analog for a few years. This could mean that Comcast will be going down to the 20 in 12-24 months.

IIRC, it was 20-40 channels, which implies to me, a Basic tier and possibly a truncated Expanded tier.
post #1373 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

GAC is the sound I made upon reading the message that TNT-HD is coming on. Only because, from all reports, TNT-HD is a waste. Still no UHD in North NJ, but I guess we should be thankful for anything from Comcast. (No idea what TBN is...maybe The Bulls**t Network?)
post #1374 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Only because, from all reports, TNT-HD is a waste.

How is it a waste by all reports? It has NBA, Law and Order, the Closer, Saved, Some Xfiles, Angel, Charmed in HD plus a variety of movies in HD. (not all movies though).

They aren't as behind in HD as many seem to portray on this board.
post #1375 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is it a waste by all reports? It has NBA, Law and Order, the Closer, Saved, Some Xfiles, Angel, Charmed in HD plus a variety of movies in HD. (not all movies though).

True. I've watched a few things since they added the channel a few weeks back. The stretch-o-vision shows are horrible to watch though (UNwatchable, actually --- what are they thinking?). And I'll take ALL the HD channels, please. Sooner rather than later, please.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

post #1376 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 07:27 PM

[quote=chinch]thanks for the info... that makes 2 HD additions (ESPN2 & TNT) in a month in our area. (i never check those "messages" and don't even know how to read them).

no doubt this is a direct result of the FIOS legislation that opens up services statewide in NJ

New Jersey State Senate voted 31-5 for legislation approving statewide license.Gov expected to sign bill.Fios will be coming to NJ.
post #1377 of 12054 Old 06-19-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=rcodey]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch View Post

...no doubt this is a direct result of the FIOS legislation that opens up services statewide in NJ

New Jersey State Senate voted 31-5 for legislation approving statewide license.Gov expected to sign bill.Fios will be coming to NJ.

The Senate today passed a revised version of what they passed last month (please don't ask me how that works!). Seems the revision allows the competition statewide without Verizon having to negotiate with individual municipalities.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

post #1378 of 12054 Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I suppose it's a matter of preferences. Re-runs of old TV shows don't interest me that much. However, I understand that there will be a Stephen King anthology series coming up. So I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the channel first-hand.
post #1379 of 12054 Old 06-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=maxman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodey View Post

The Senate today passed a revised version of what they passed last month (please don't ask me how that works!). Seems the revision allows the competition statewide without Verizon having to negotiate with individual municipalities.

They passed the same version they passed last month. Since one result of the bill is an increase in cable taxes, the House must first vote on it, and then the Senate, and they forget that technicality, and had the Senate vote first last month, followed by the House. It now goes to Corzine for signature, however, I predict he will not sign it and send it back for changes to ensure that South Jersey also gets wired (Comcast is fighting really hard for this). Verizon should agree to that now and avoid further delays, but they are not too bright.

I'm very pro Verizon and will switch to FIOS TV immediately, however, they have made so many tactical errors along the way trying to get FIOS TV approved statewide it is amazing. They could have had this approval last year.
post #1380 of 12054 Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody know when Northern and Central NJ could get Universal HD? South Jersey is receiving it on June 28, so I was just curious.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page