Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 298 Old 11-07-2001, 06:41 PM
DJK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heck I'd be happy with a clear analog picture from them. This give them a break stuff cracks me up . I just don't watch them. Thats what you do right hit em in the pocket book.I was glad when fox got the nfc contract at least I could sorta see the bears games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 298 Old 11-09-2001, 04:30 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone noticed that on their station ID's they are starting to also include WBBM-DT CH 3? Maybe they are really getting serious this time, or they just didn't want to have to redo all their new graphics when they finally got it turned on.

The only other station that I've even mention their DT station on their ID's is WMAQ.
post #273 of 298 Old 11-13-2001, 04:27 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=92083 they say WBBM is now saying end of December to get WBBM-DT on the air. Looks like another year of no NFL playoff games in HD.:mad:
post #274 of 298 Old 11-13-2001, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is an update on what is going on from the Chicago Sun-Times Robert Feder:

* Insiders at Channel 2 have begun derisively calling some of their engineering wizards "Keystone Kops" for repeatedly missing deadlines in the installation of the station's new main broadcast antenna atop the John Hancock Center.

The most recent delay in fixing the station's lousy transmission, however, is being blamed on the Hancock's bureaucrats for failing to apply for the proper installation permit. As a result, Channel 2 will have to go through the entire November sweeps on its alternate antenna, adding further to its catastrophic ratings problems.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
good times!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #275 of 298 Old 11-13-2001, 11:42 AM

WOW! What a huge disaster!

Time to give up on WBBM-DT (in addition to WGN-DT, WMAQ-DT, WTTW-DT, and WFLD-DT). The only game in town is WLS-DT. Way to go ABC!!!!!!

Rick
post #276 of 298 Old 11-15-2001, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by others
rad said, " ... they say WBBM is now saying end of December to get WBBM-DT on the air. ..."
kippjones said, "... Channel 2 will have to go through the entire November sweeps on its alternate antenna ..."
wirehead_rick said, "... What a huge disaster! Time to give up on WBBM-DT ..."
TitanTV now shows Feb 1, 2002 for the WBBM-DT live date.

People complain about Fox not being HD, but I'll watch WFLD-DT and their 480p long before I'll watch anything on WBBM analog, that is unless it's an occasional Bear's game.:rolleyes:

Turn the sound up and the lights down!
post #277 of 298 Old 11-15-2001, 08:14 AM

WBBM's Pete Socket returned my call yesterday and he explained that AT+T is just finishing up their change over to channel 4 and the antenna testing is going on now. I asked for T.Giving football and he said could not happen, would be 6-8 weeks.
post #278 of 298 Old 11-15-2001, 08:25 AM

Has anyone written to the FCC and gotten a reply on this crazyness with assigning WBBM-DT channel 3? not only to we have the huge interference issues with every man and his dog having equipment on channel 3, but also we are forced to buy a UHF/VHF combo antenna JUST for this one channel, whenever it makes it on the air. Idiots.
post #279 of 298 Old 11-15-2001, 08:41 AM

I askes Pete about the UHF / VHF issue and he said no way will the channel 3 issue change.
post #280 of 298 Old 11-15-2001, 08:50 AM

Well its clear now it won't change but we should write the FCC and yell at them for being so stupid. I'd love to know how many millions it has cost WBBM just because of this stupidness. It is so frustrating. My in-laws the other side of the lake get fantastic HD pictures from the CBS affiliate in South Bend IN (WSBT-TV 22, WSBT-DT 30), yet in Chicago we're still dealing with this dumb channel 3 thing. Even if AT&T sort their things out what about all the VCR to TV connections and all that. I'm venting :) Its a pity we all can't just pick up WSBT-DT.

http://www.wsbt.com/inside_pages/hdtv.phtml
post #281 of 298 Old 11-22-2001, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so I've been following the new soap opera that is WBBM instead of on WBBM. Basically, after attempting to be the first station on the air in the chicago area, they still aren't on. After 2 years of B.S. they still aren't on the air. I've heard it all from construction problems (which I can understand, things happen) to forgetting to get permits (which is really stupid and a testament to the further organization that may be needed). Its been June, May, August, October, October, Nov., Nov., and now Dec.?! Look, lets realize WBBM-DT will just appear on its own. What I need to know is if it is actually broadcasting at 25% as promised? I think I missed it in the posts. I know I can't get it and have no trace of a signal. Thanks, and lets get info and no insults.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #282 of 298 Old 11-23-2001, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Forceflow - WBBM DT is not currently broadcasting in ANY capacity. The dates you mentioned are to begin 25% power broadcasting. There has been no date given nor any commitment made to broadcast at greater that 25% power. This basically means that, even once broadcast is working, those more than ~10 miles from the Hancock won't get it anyway.
post #283 of 298 Old 11-27-2001, 12:45 PM

I just noticed today, on the East (shorter) antenna there appears to be something going on, there appears to be something (possibly a part of a new antenna?) sticking out at a 45 degree angle to the south, it looks like its being held by guy wire from the top of the East antenna, its hard to estimate the length of this, I suspect perhaps one third the height of the East antenna. Meanwhile the received quality on WBBM-TV Ch 2 is horrdenous! :) On a side node, if anyone knows a good TV antenna (receive!) installer that would come to Oak Park, PM me some details, it seems like while the analog channel is bad it would be a good time to get a new antenna installed.
post #284 of 298 Old 12-21-2001, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight at 11:00 during the Late Show a station identifier popped-up at the bottom of the screen reading "WBBM CHICAGO WBBM DT CH 3". I checked at CH 3 but no signal.
post #285 of 298 Old 12-23-2001, 02:32 PM

I noticed the same thing today during the Packers/Browns game. The small station identification logo on the bottom of the screen lists WBBM-DT CH3. I quickly did a search and nothing on 3 or 3-1. However, it seems I'm getting WGN on two channels now, 9-1 and 75-1.

So to sum it all up; Chicagoans get OTA digital broadcasts of ABC, NBC, FOX, WGN, PAX and Telemundo...but still no CBS. Let's hope we've all been good enough so that Santa brings us CBS for the new year.

Ray
post #286 of 298 Old 12-23-2001, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was flying around the Hancock Thursday night (in a small Piper) and it appeared the east antenna is getting close to being completed.

Kipp
good times!

post #287 of 298 Old 12-23-2001, 07:02 PM

Given the really splendid (and, decidely uncharacteristic) weather that we Chicagoans have enjoyed this Fall, getting HD on WBBM would be a New Year's gift of considerable proportion ... only exceeded by having OTA-HD on both WBBM and WTTW!

While it appears that CBS-Chicago is truly making an determined effort to bring the promise of HDTV to its viewers, I don't think the same can be said for our venerated public TV station. What's up with them? Well, I know that I will not chip in my customary $100 annual subscription to them until I detect some movement on this issue. Frankly, I think that local members of this forum have been far too lenient on them to date.
post #288 of 298 Old 12-26-2001, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Were back on at 25% power. I'm getting a 58 signal strength in Downers Grove.

Kipp
good times!

post #289 of 298 Old 12-26-2001, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you actually getting a stable picture or is it breaking up? Hopefully your getting a stable picture because that is as good as it gets as 25% is what it will be at permanently!
post #290 of 298 Old 12-26-2001, 12:41 PM

Getting 58 - 72 strenght in Yorkville, picture very goooood!!

PMCP
post #291 of 298 Old 12-26-2001, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS

..... Snip

Hopefully your getting a stable picture because that is as good as it gets as 25% is what it will be at permanently!

That is not true. We can not cover all the service area at 25%

25% was picked as a compromise between output power (coverage area) and the amount of interference we generate in the area around the Hancock.

As the number of cable drops get fixed and the bad VCR to TV cables get replaced we will be upping the power.

Bob

CBS New York

post #292 of 298 Old 12-26-2001, 04:56 PM

Franks

Not sure what you meant to say. Your post is confusing at best.

For the record I am getting a signal in central Naperville strength 40-46 with a intermittent breakup.

Paul V
post #293 of 298 Old 12-26-2001, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what you meant to say. Your post is confusing at best.
Not sure how it's so confusing! I asked kippjones if he has a stable picture or is it breaking up. Seems pretty straight foward to me!

Bob,

25% is what has been told to us by you guys and if it is left to AT&T to fix things before it goes full power then it will indeed be permanent! And now with AT&T selling to Comcast it can only get worse as they have one of the WORST service records in cable (and that's saying a whole lot)!
post #294 of 298 Old 12-27-2001, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

FrankS,

I am not experiencing any breakups.

Kipp
good times!

post #295 of 298 Old 01-02-2002, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by BobRoss

That is not true. We can not cover all the service area at 25%

25% was picked as a compromise between output power (coverage area) and the amount of interference we generate in the area around the Hancock.

As the number of cable drops get fixed and the bad VCR to TV cables get replaced we will be upping the power.

Bob
Infact, we are now transmitting at 33% as of last week!
post #296 of 298 Old 01-05-2002, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Wow. I just read through this entire thread. I saw a lot of venting at CBS, some venting at AT&T, and little to none at the FCC. This is not a very nice way to treat the guys from CBS who have been providing information. Seems to me the place to vent should be the FCC!

I'll point out the obvious (at least to me anyway) because I didn't see it mentioned here. But if AT&T had not purchased a bunch of Chicago cable companies (including Jones Intercable which serves my area in Naperville) wouldn't the problem be WORSE? That's right - instead of one company that understands and is capable of fixing numerous problems at multiple cable companies we'd be waiting on multiple companies that created the problems in the first place. Chew on that for a moment.

I don't really understand why there isn't some channel somewhere that the FCC couldn't have assigned to CBS-DT instead of 3, but I don't work there. I understand all the potential interference issues hundred of miles from here but it seems to me that it might have been cheaper and easier for CBS, AT&T, or whomever to resolve a conflict in some small town 250 miles away then to tackle them here, in a major metropolitan area, with multiple cable companies who built poor systems.

But then, maybe this is what the FCC intended all along?

I know this thread is dated (CBS-Dt in Chicago Up and Running seems to be the current thread) but I just had to comment.

Please, no flames. Unless you direct them at the FCC.
post #297 of 298 Old 01-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Please use your search engine to look for other threads on this subject. You'll find LOTS of finger pointing at the FCC. But by the time this thread began, the FCC issue was dead, buried and, all including CBS agreed, irresolvable. So it didn't make any sense to include useless complaints.

I give WBBM credit for perseverance. If I recall, most of the complaints aimed toward them was a result of incomplete information and missed schedules. This isn't targeted at those individuals who are kind (and brave) enough to post here, but at the lame bureaucracy that is part of any large corporation and gets in the way of real results.

For the records, kudos to WBBM for results so far and keep up the good work!
post #298 of 298 Old 01-05-2002, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by WishIdInventedTivo
Wow. I just read through this entire thread. I saw a lot of venting at CBS, some venting at AT&T, and little to none at the FCC. This is not a very nice way to treat the guys from CBS who have been providing information. Seems to me the place to vent should be the FCC!

I'll point out the obvious (at least to me anyway) because I didn't see it mentioned here. But if AT&T had not purchased a bunch of Chicago cable companies (including Jones Intercable which serves my area in Naperville) wouldn't the problem be WORSE? That's right - instead of one company that understands and is capable of fixing numerous problems at multiple cable companies we'd be waiting on multiple companies that created the problems in the first place. Chew on that for a moment.

I don't really understand why there isn't some channel somewhere that the FCC couldn't have assigned to CBS-DT instead of 3, but I don't work there. I understand all the potential interference issues hundred of miles from here but it seems to me that it might have been cheaper and easier for CBS, AT&T, or whomever to resolve a conflict in some small town 250 miles away then to tackle them here, in a major metropolitan area, with multiple cable companies who built poor systems.

But then, maybe this is what the FCC intended all along?

I know this thread is dated (CBS-Dt in Chicago Up and Running seems to be the current thread) but I just had to comment.

Please, no flames. Unless you direct them at the FCC.
Excellent post!

Kipp
good times!

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page