CBS Chicago to begin OTA May 31 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 298 Old 08-03-2001, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to one and all,
As you can see my patience has reached an end. I've been waiting since the first of the year to get some significant HD programming, and have missed many events that CBS has had to offer. I guess I just reached the boiling point and had to go off. But the lack of information has been extremely frustrating for myself as well as many others that are in the same boat as me. I don't have the low cost alternative that some of you are lucky enough to enjoy with AT&T. And your right I shouldn't go of on other members.
And yes I do appreciate Chuck and Bob's participation, I just wish there was more information out there.

So sorry to those I have offended,
Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 298 Old 08-03-2001, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick W:
Chuck,
Any update on what's going on. Your absence from this forum for the last week has been disheartening since you are our only link to what is going on with WBBM. I'm sure I speak for many members of this forum when I say that I check this forum a couple times a day looking for some updated information regarding this thread. On your last post on 7/6 you had mentioned that you would be testing next week. Since then we've all been on edge of our seats hoping to here a test date or something new. We hope that things are progressing behind the scenes towards a resolution to better resolution. LOL. But seriously, any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
Hi all,

Well, it may seem lame but vacations are still providing huge a disruption to our HD efforts right now.

But, despite the vacations.. AT&T has continued its' efforts to resolve HD interference issues and have brought Com Ed into the picture due to high tension wire noise issues in one of the area impacted by our HD signal.

PLEASE do not make me explain this... The bottom line, work has continued and our goal is to be back on the air at by September 1st at 25% power.

Chuck

------------------
Chuck deCourt
CBS 2 Chicago
chdecourt@cbs.com
post #183 of 298 Old 08-03-2001, 05:34 PM
DJK

They have had two years to address this problem. Wbbm picture has sucked for all 39 years of my life living as close as Dolton(the nearest south suburb to chicago). Some things never change I guess. So Don't give me any lecture's bout oh they're keeping us informed.The wgn broadcast of the cubs are gonna be on in hi def nation wide what does this tell ya! (provide and they will come) Just calling it like I see It.
post #184 of 298 Old 08-03-2001, 09:13 PM

crbaldwin,
That's exactly my point. I cannot get CBS through our AT&T narrowband cable provider. I'm locked in with Directv until Jan. 2002. I do not want to spend additional funds on Dish equipment plus an additional monthly fee to receive something I should be receiving for free via the public airwaves.

Dan Burgess,
Damn right I'm pissed. If you where in my shoes you'd be
pissed too. At least you have a low cost alternative. I have a significant outlay of money to get HD programming to
view. And the network that seems to be offering the most HD I cannot get because of AT&T, so screw them. I'll rant all I want until I get CBS. I bought the system and had it installed in time to see the Super Bowl, not knowing of the issues CBS was having with AT&T. So you chill out because your not the one in my shoes!!

Rick

post #185 of 298 Old 08-05-2001, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick W:
Sorry to one and all,
As you can see my patience has reached an end. I've been waiting since the first of the year to get some significant HD programming, and have missed many events that CBS has had to offer. I guess I just reached the boiling point and had to go off. But the lack of information has been extremely frustrating for myself as well as many others that are in the same boat as me. I don't have the low cost alternative that some of you are lucky enough to enjoy with AT&T. And your right I shouldn't go of on other members.
And yes I do appreciate Chuck and Bob's participation, I just wish there was more information out there.

So sorry to those I have offended,
Rick

I knew there had to be a soft side to ya!

Thanks for the update Chuck. As an engineer myself, I fully understand the issues at hand and these things take time. Just when you think you have it fixed, something else pops up. To quote the Sopranos "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in". Rome was not built in a day.

------------------
Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #186 of 298 Old 08-05-2001, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
That's Godfather 3 not Sopranos!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 08-06-2001).]
post #187 of 298 Old 08-05-2001, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I'm amazed that WBBM is making any progress on getting channel 3 working at all. When I first saw it on a list of assigned channels, I thought it was a typo; that they could not possibly be serious. Channel 3 is the channel every VCR, cable box and video game uses - it's the toxic waste dump of the electromagnetic spectrum. That they've made it this far must be due to an extraordinary engineering effort. Cut them some slack.
post #188 of 298 Old 08-06-2001, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS:
Quote:
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
That's Godfather 3 not Sopranos!

Silvio on the Sopranos did it quoting the Godfather....same thing...geezzzzz...little anal there huh?

------------------
Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #189 of 298 Old 08-28-2001, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope to hear something soon.
post #190 of 298 Old 08-31-2001, 08:54 AM

Fellow Chicagoans,
Just checked out TitanTv.com to find out anything pertaining to WBBM since Chuck never seems to give us any updates anymore. Now they have the live date as Sept. 15th. I guess 2 weeks is better than a six month extension but disheartening nonetheless. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't even watch CBS anymore, the picture out by us is absolutely horrid OTA. Sure hope they finally get this matter resolved so that we can check out college football and the many other offerings CBS has. I for one refuse to watch WBBM until they get this matter resolved and urge the rest of you to do so as well.

Disappointed yet again,

Rick

post #191 of 298 Old 08-31-2001, 11:05 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Vance45:
WCBS-DT on DishNetwork. HD US Open starts next week...

Unless you live in Lake County and Dish says you can receive the Milwaukee CBS station, then no WCBS-DT! I've talked to the GM and he currently is refusing to grant waivers, even for us flatlanders. I've talked to the manager od strategic initiatives at Dish and they're locked out since DecisionMark says I can get a grade B from Milwaukee and they can't do anything about it. So no CBS via OTA, no CBS via AT&T Narrowband, no CBS via Dish. This really sucks!

post #192 of 298 Old 08-31-2001, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I can only hope they get this worked out before the US Open finals. It is acceptable now that the coverage is on USA, but my reception of CBS up in Mundelein is unwatchable and if I miss the HD coverage I'm going to cry like a little girl.

So, please Chuck - tell us that it's all going to be ok...
post #193 of 298 Old 08-31-2001, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

WCBS-DT on DishNetwork. HD US Open starts next week...

------------------
Vance
My HT Pics

post #194 of 298 Old 09-01-2001, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Hi All,

I talked to Chuck the other day. It looks like 15th or so for WBBM-DT OTA at 25% power. There is antenna work in progress on the roof of the Hancock right now. We had hoped it would have been finished by now.

Bob

------------------
CBS New York
rjross@cbs.com

CBS New York
rjross@cbs.com
post #195 of 298 Old 09-01-2001, 06:55 PM

I can't get WBBM via AT+T cable anymore. Not since the lightning storm last night. Anybody else having this problem?
post #196 of 298 Old 09-01-2001, 09:52 PM

Downtown Chicago is working well... No problems to report.
post #197 of 298 Old 09-08-2001, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but this really sucks. I'm trying to watch the US Open today and my eyes are starting to hurt from trying to make out the ball in the pathetic analog signal. Of course, I had no problems making out the HD Mitsubishi ad which is taunting at best.

I know everyone says to be patient (usually those who can get CBS HD via cable) but how many years do we have to be patient? How many cool sporting events do we have to miss?

It sounds like there may be some activity next week but its a week too late in my book. Actually, come to think of it it is a year too late...
post #198 of 298 Old 09-08-2001, 02:29 PM

Well I identified the problem. The lightning strike inflicted no visible damage. But it fried two (2) modems and two RF signal amplifiers. I've replaced the modems and the AT+T cable amplifier, so now I can get WBBM again. And that tennis is sure good in HD.

Now I have to climb up on the roof to replace the OTA antenna amp. Fortunately the computers and TVs, which are plugged into surge protectors, are not damaged.

Sorry if this is off topic.
post #199 of 298 Old 09-08-2001, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike2567:
And that tennis is sure good in HD.
Yes, thanks for rubbing it in. Meanwhile I'm seeing double trying to watch channel 2...

post #200 of 298 Old 09-10-2001, 01:33 PM

Anyone wanna take bets that Chicago channel 2 WBBM will yet again postpone their OTA signals - the ones currently slated for Sept 15th 2001. It's Sept 10th today, I just got an email reply from Chuck at WBBM that says

______

"WBBM is still not on the air in Chicago due to interference issues caused by the HD channel 3."

______

I had also emailed Dan McDonald of CBS - I got his reply today too, it stated

______

"Thanks for your interest in CBS 2.

Unfortunately, due to problems we're having with our antenna at the Hancock Tower, we will not be transmitting a digital/HDTV signal until mid-September, at the earliest.

If you write back in a few weeks, I should have some more updated information for you."

______

Ok not to be rude, but that makes no sense, we are 5 days away from Sept 15th launch date, yet I am supposed to wait a few weeks and write back to him for an update?

I got both replies dated Sept 10th and both seemed to not talk about any resolution or about keeping that Sept 15th date when the email I had sent both of them asked WHEN will we get the signal OTA, so far they are slated for Sept 15th, but from those responses it's not looking good & I bet we get another pushback....

We have been watching this get bumped due to these problems related with at&t and channel 3 for WAY too long.... FCC AT&T CBS whoever is at fault or whatnot, I just wish they would fix it (sorry about the mini rant there).

But it's frustrating having a great HDTV setup and knowing about Quality CBS programming IN HDTV that I WANNA watch like the recent HDTV US open - but no luck, watched a TERRIBLE grainy analog signal, and growled everytime they talked about it being brought to you in HIGH DEF after knowing I HAVE all the stuff to watch it but I end up watching my yucky analog regular AT&T signal pic - my eyes hurt so I didn't wanna hear them talk about crystal clear HDTV when I couldn't get the OTA or Cable line HDTV signals yet....

My AT&T (Rolling Meadows office that serves us in Palatine, IL) didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked about the HDTV signal thru cable in my area, called two different times both acted like I was talking Russian to them.

Out of desperation I even ran another test on it both OTA scan mode on my Mitsu 400, and then hooked up AT&T Cable just for the heck of it thru the HDTV box to test too (just in case) before the OPEN, but no luck on either (not that I expected either to work - but hey gotta try- maybe I am doing it wrong? Anyone live in Palatine and get the AT&T CBS HDTV signal thru cable?).

Really HOPE to catch the new season shows coming up in OTA signals, to be honest I am EXCITED about them! But reality is probably just another BUMP back and a nasty AT&T pic till whenever they get this resolved....

Time will tell, but anyone wanna bet? hehe

Bill http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by FTLOSM (edited 09-10-2001).]
post #201 of 298 Old 09-10-2001, 02:24 PM

Hey FLTOSM,
I've given up all hope of WBBM anytime soon as this has been going on since Dec. 2000 for me and still nothing. Since the announcement of ABC's fall lineup and the launch of HDnetI could give a rat's a$$ about WBBM. Now at least there will be something to watch in this god forsaken town out in the boonies we call Chicago, it's market is not important (tongue planted firmly in cheek) to WBBM.

Rick
post #202 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 07:20 AM

Well call me Nostradamus, (ok thats a joke btw) but they just bumped the start date again, Was supposed to be tomorrow (the 15th of Sept 2001) now it's again bumped and slated (according to titantv.com) as Oct 20th 2001, anyone wanna take bets as to what YEAR it happens? LOL.

Way to go WBBM, guess I will be watching ABC and NBC (even FOX) vs WBBM this season.

[This message has been edited by FTLOSM (edited 09-14-2001).]
post #203 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FTLOSM:
Way to go WBBM, guess I will be watching ABC and NBC (even FOX) vs WBBM this season.
That makes two of us! The further delays are rediculous.

post #204 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 03:50 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

I asked Chuch deCourt for a status of the test this weekend, his response was:

We have been delayed at least a week due to our refocus this past week.
Chuck

I think we can all understand why the delay so let's cut them some slack on this for awhile, OK??? Rick
post #205 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rad:
I asked Chuch deCourt for a status of the test this weekend, his response was:

We have been delayed at least a week due to our refocus this past week.
Chuck

I think we can all understand why the delay so let's cut them some slack on this for awhile, OK??? Rick
I don't understand. While most of us have been profoundly affected by the recent events, we still went to work this week. What is their refocus? Sounds like just another excuse...

post #206 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 06:03 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crbaldwin:
I don't understand. While most of us have been profoundly affected by the recent events, we still went to work this week. What is their refocus? Sounds like just another excuse...

crbaldwin, I'm as mad as anyone else around here about no WBBM-DT and how long it's taking to get resolved. But the events of this week has caused many companies to change their priorities this past week. I'm sure the WBBM staff has been very busy covering the events aroung the attack on the US Tuesday. I know when I went to work on Tuesday I wasn't expecting to spend the rest of this week trying to get network facilities in place to handle the 235 staff members that used to have a place to work in WTC Tower #1, other projects that I was working on all of a sudden weren't that important. WBBM staff probably had similar challenges providing all the live coverage of the various events this week, and getting the WBBM-DT transmitter functioning was probably the last thing on their minds.

I have talked to Chuck and had many e-mail exhanges with him and he would be very happy to get this situation resolved, it's been just as frustrating for him as it has for us. I agree that some of the past reason for the delay have sounded weak I again say that what happened this week was out of their control and why not cut them some slack.

[This message has been edited by rad (edited 09-14-2001).]
post #207 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 06:30 PM

According to the tenant list from 1 World Trade Center, the CBS, NBC, Fox and WB local affiliates all had space on the 110th floor - in other words, they are highly likely to still be among the missing. Even if it's only equipment and a skeleton crew maintaining it, it is still very significant. I work for a financial company that is/was based in the World Financial Center (I'm in Chicago), and I can tell you that my work life has been a mess - servers down, files lost, equipment gone, staffing needs, etc. We are going to be operating at only 50% of our normal operating capacity here in Chicago, hundreds of miles away from the WTC site. While it is an obviously different business entirely, I can guarantee you that CBS (even an affiliate) has more to worry about than rolling out a next generation product on time, especially since it doesn't immediately generate revenue and is focused to a small audience, and has been delayed before. While we should certainly continue to hold WBBM to the high standards its network has been attaining in the HDTV world, I don't think it's appropriate to challenge them at a time like this.

Just my two cents...
post #208 of 298 Old 09-14-2001, 09:42 PM

Rad,
Just for the record. If you note the date of my post, you will see it was the day before this despicable, cowardly act of terrorism on innocent civilians, women, children and public servants trying to help. I can certainly understand a setback this week, I myself have had difficulty focusing on my work as well. I have no idea if those who were lost were actively involved with WBBM's plight, nor would I suggest that anyone involved would use this terrible tragedy to buy time for the HD issue. I have just stated in the past, my frustrations with the delays and lack of information regarding the subject. I certainly do not want anyone to take my comments personally. I wish to extend my condolences to those at WBBM, or anyone else for that matter who may have lost friends or loved ones at the hands of these *******ly cowards. While I would love to get my hands on some of that wonderful HD content that CBS has to offer, after the events of these past few days HD is just not that big of an issue for many of us. So if they need more time at WBBM they need more time, its just that WBBM's analog signal where I live is unwatchable. Therefor until they go HD, I for one won't be watching, nothing personal. With the announcement of ABC,s primetime commitment to HD and the launch of Mark's channel I now can afford to wait. Just hopefully not too long.

God Bless America,
Rick

post #209 of 298 Old 09-15-2001, 06:24 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Rick W,
I had not issue with your post, the issue was with the one from crbaldwin in response to the update I posted from Chuck. Chuck has provided a bit more infomration on the delay:

We lost two transmitter tech in
NY and our primary transmitter site. The alt site is up and we have been
focused on gathering equipment to build a third site. We sent one of our
transmiites from Chicago to assist. We are prepared to send transmitter tech
to NY.

Work at the hancock has been suspended as the building is a possible target.
post #210 of 298 Old 09-15-2001, 11:19 AM

If you look at my above post it was before the events on the 11th, actually the responses given by wbbm were given dated the 10th both of which gave LITTLE to NO chance of them being up and running on the 15th.

I stand by my statement that WBBM is gonna keep bumping their date regardless of whatever is going on in the world because they are simply NOT ready, but my question to them (& I have asked THEM DIRECTLY without answer) is WHEN do you see it becoming a reality?

Giving us a date every 30 days for over a year now and bumping the date hours before the launch is VERY frustrating regardless of whatever is going on in the world.

Is tv that important? In light of what's happened recently obviously NO, Do I think WBBM is using this recent event as an EXCUSE? NO, they clearly weren't ready to launch period (as in the many previous listed dates that were cancelled).

My real BEEF is NOT with not Launching on the 15th, (because world event or not I am 99% sure based on responses I got directly from them that they would NOT be ready to go), my beef is with them leading us on with the carrot saying wait till this day, then hours before bumping it yet again and again with very little response as to exactly what the HECK is going on.

I wish they would just say Jan 1st 2006, altho I know that date would be bumped too I bet LOL.

Don't get me wrong I am an AMERICAN who cares and has donated blood and money to this cause of the recent events, but this thread and the history of bumps goes WAY back before ANY of this and based on the responses BEFORE this event (a day before the event to be exact) WBBM showed in their emails to me (read the above post I made) that basically they had no intentions on keeping the commitment of launching on the 15th, however they insist on bumping the date hours before the actual Launch leading MANY like myself to HOPE and WISH its gonna happen even hours before only to find another bump.

Maybe better more honest communications with us would help.

And lastly commenting on us (HDTV owners) as "next generation" and a "small market" is BUNK, sales of HDTV's are FLYING HIGH and STRONG, don't underestimate the amount of HDTV owners who would support a station for it's broadcasting, proof in point I never watched ABC primetime or NBC Leno, but now I watch them more and more, and found they are great shows worthy of the HDTV signals!!

Bill

Give blood, Donate to Red Cross, Fly your flag high and enjoy your HDTV!!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page