post #271 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
From the New York Times October 14, 2004

Fox's O'Reilly Sues Over Alleged Extortion Scheme

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fox News personality Bill O'Reilly sued one of his associate producers and her lawyer on Wednesday, alleging they threatened him with a high profile sexual harassment case unless he and Fox paid $60 million in "hush money."

The conservative commentator, who is seeking unspecified damages, states his reputation has been damaged and that the scheme has caused him to suffer "great mental strain, anguish and severe emotional distress."

O'Reilly along with Fox News Network filed the suit in New York State Supreme Court in Nassau County. The network is part of the Fox Entertainment Group which is controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Benedict Morelli, the lawyer named as a defendant in the case, did not immediately return phone calls. The associate producer, Andrea Mackris, still works at Fox but could not be reached for comment. Her voice mail recording identified her as an associate producer of "The O'Reilly Factor."

The suit states that Mackris began working as an associate producer on the program in April 2000. She left for a few months earlier this year to work for CNN but returned to Fox in July.

Although Mackris had never previously complained to anyone in authority at Fox about sexual harassment by O'Reilly, last month her lawyer began threatening to sue Fox over offensive statements made to her, the suit said.

During a meeting Morelli had with Fox and News Corp representatives, he showed them a draft of the complaint containing lengthy quotes that came from O'Reilly. The suit charged that the length of the quotes and the "specific verbiage" made it appear that Mackris had taped O'Reilly.

Morelli demanded $60 million in "hush money to keep quiet," according to the suit.

Fox and O'Reilly charged in their suit that the defendants' actions were motivated by greed and Morelli's Democratic political connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is the third time I'm aware of O'Reilly possibly muscling FOX into suing an enemy of his, although this time it isn't a political enemy.

(Note: after re-examining my statement I added the word possibly . "Strong-arming" was changed to "muscling".)

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #273 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am not sure he is strong-arming anyone.
It looks like (whether you like him or not) he could be the victim here.
post #274 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by fredfa
I am not sure he is strong-arming anyone.
It looks like (whether you like him or not) he could be the victim here.

Well I didn't say if I was biased. I pride myself on making it clear when I'm trying to articulate facts and when I'm giving opinion.

If he is a victim of someone they are still presumably his enemy so my statement was not out of bias.

In the past, when O'Reilly sues, FOX sues. Like when FOX sued over Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars...". On another occasion O'Reilly and FOX threatened to sue a guest of his show. In all these cases O'Reilly was allegedly the individual who demanded the suing.

NOTE: After considering your comment I edited my statement to include the word "possibly" and my thought was better articulated when I replaced "strong-arming" with "muscling". That criticism was just, in retrospect, though unintentional on my part.

post #275 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Desperate Times for Alias?
The inside scoop on ABC's big dilemma
By Stephen Battaglio, TVGuide.com

As sexy as she is, Jennifer Garner is no Desperate Housewife.

ABC's new drama Desperate Housewives is the kind of big, fat, juicy hit many thought was no longer possible to launch. Last week, it ranked No. 2 for the week in the advertiser-favored demographic of viewers 18 to 49, just behind CSI. The ratings drop-off from its monstrous premiere was minimal. Roughly 21 million viewers tuned in for the second consecutive week.

Desperate Housewives is already heading for cultural-icon status: It ranks as the most-searched TV show on Yahoo's Buzz Index; the cast will be on Friday's Oprah; and ABC's Good Morning America wasted no time sending a vapid correspondent to visit housewives who lived on a real street called Wisteria Lane in Fillintheblank, Pa. (Would you believe their lives are nothing like the TV show?)

What's more, Housewives was even No. 3 for the week among men 18 to 49 a demo no one at ABC thought would watch and a repeat of the premiere was the highest-rated show on Saturday night.

Which brings us to the Alias question. When ABC unveiled its schedule in May, Desperate Housewives was supposed to run through December, with Alias reclaiming its Sunday 9 pm time slot in January. The thinking was that since both shows have continuing story lines, both shows would struggle to draw an audience with a repeat. That's been the case throughout network TV in recent years.

But Housewives is the type of hit drama that ABC hasn't seen since the first season of NYPD Blue in 1993. There is no way it will come off the schedule in January. A Housewives repeat is likely to do as well in the ratings as an original Alias episode on Sunday. Last season, Alias originals averaged a 3.7 rating in viewers 18-49. A Housewives repeat could top that by getting 40 percent of the 8.6 rating it pulled in on Sunday.

Insiders at ABC say the network is already reconsidering the Sunday-night plan.

It's safe to say that Alias has been being moved around ABC's magnetic scheduling board ever since Sunday's Housewives' number came in. Despite the network's new-show success this season, there is no shortage of options.

One possible fit for Alias is Wednesday at 9, the hour after ABC's other new hit, Lost. The network could package it as the J.J. Abrams Wednesday Showcase. The fading Bachelor can move to Monday after football season ends.

In other words, Jennifer Garner fans, hold off on setting your TiVos.
post #276 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Originally posted by GregF
This is the third time I'm aware of O'Reilly strong-arming FOX into suing an enemy of his, although this time it isn't a political enemy.

This provides some very interesting reading, make sure there are no kids looking over your shoulder..

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...3mackris1.html
O'Reilly Hit With Sex Harass Suit - October 13, 2004

Jim
post #277 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

In fairness, at the very least you need to read O'Reilly's side of it, too:

http://www.drudgereport.com/fox.htm
post #278 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

now our friend keenan, he's a little biased hehe.

post #279 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

GregF: I am not even hinting at any bias.
The whole thing just smells bad to me.
Pages and pages of supposedly "taped" conversations which could never be admissable in any court, but the plaintiff was "willing" to settle for a multi million dollar sum?
At first blush (though that might not be an apt description here!) at least, it smacks of what O'Reilly calls it: extortion.
post #280 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well definitely fredfa, bogus lawsuits against deep pockets happen all the time.

BTW keenan I hope you took my comment as jovial ribbing, nothing more.

post #281 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

True or not, that one bit is going to be music to Al Franken's ear, O'Reilly ranting to would-be lovers about Franken's come-uppance, hehehe.

post #282 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, I think both the O'Reilly and Franken radio shows should be must-listens Thursday.
post #283 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 10:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Well definitely fredfa, bogus lawsuits against deep pockets happen all the time.

BTW keenan I hope you took my comment as jovial ribbing, nothing more.

No problem. I am definitely on the left side of things, parents went to Berkekey, I was born there, if my number came up they were ready to send me to Canada, but that upbringing also included giving equal consideration to both sides.

As far as this suit, there is an awful lot of detail in there, and given O' Reilly's persona, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.....well...

BTW, there is a thread here that we've been discussing some of this and other things while trying to not to raise the ire of the mods, so far so good..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...31#post4499831
Outfoxed - AVS Forum
post #284 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ABC affils really love their football
Plans to fork over $35 million for 'MNF' renewal

By JOHN DEMPSEY, Variety.com
Posted: Wed., Oct. 13, 2004, 10:00pm PT

NEW YORK -- TV stations affiliated with ABC are so hot to make sure the network renews its contract with the NFL for "Monday Night Football" that they've agreed to ramp up their annual payment to $35 million.

That payment helps ABC shoulder the $550 million a year in license fees the network ponies up to the NFL for the Monday night games. But the Alphabet has also publicly bemoaned the fact that, even with the help of the affiliates, it loses about $150 million a year on "MNF."

ABC has begun talks with the NFL about renewing its current eight-year contract, which expires after the 2005 season. ABC's affiliates would fork over the $35 million beginning in 2006.

News of the payment for the NFL games surfaced in the announcement by ABC Wednesday that it has secured the approval of its board of affiliates to renew the net's agreement with affils as part of a new four-year contract.

In the give-and-take between ABC and affils, the network agreed it would at first lower the NFL payment from $34 million a year under the old contract to $31 million for the first two years of the new one. If ABC outbids other nets for a new "Monday Night Football" contract, the higher annual payment would kick in.

Agreement with affils also allows ABC to repurpose a contractually specified number of its shows on cable. For Soap Net, the cable network that repeats all of ABC's daytime soap operas in primetime the same night, the affils harvest a cut of the channel's subscriber fees in each of their markets.

Endorsed by the board of governors of the ABC affiliates, the agreement will go to each station for review starting this week.
post #285 of 25503 Old 10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Desperate Times for Alias?
The inside scoop on ABC's big dilemma
By Stephen Battaglio, TVGuide.com
*snip*

Simple solution dump Boston Legal to Monday's, let it wallow in The Practice's filth where it belongs, then put Alias on in its place, the 10pm slot would allow them to edge it up a bit, make it a little less cutesy. It could definately use that, IMO. (Though, to be fair, I entirely missed the 3rd season, so I've no idea what that whole 2-years-missing plot did for the show.)
post #286 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Fox's reality show are embarrassing and exploitative even in the context of the genre -- the exception being AI. Let them all rot in hell.

As for this, "Too bad the latest ratings aren't so good, because this is a show that appears to be developing into something special. But that's just my opinion." I can only assume, then, it will be canceled. It's a hallmark of the Zucker era -- after all -- to forget that a show called Cheers (like many hits in network TV history) took 1 1/2 seasons to find its stride. Much better to kill them off soon and make them into footnotes.

Mark Cuban, sorry to hear it. I'm mentally working on concepts that might better use your talents...

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #287 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

First bare-bones Wednesday debate/baseball ratings posted (full ratings styories still to come).
post #288 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Is this also a place to post sweeps tactics? If so, next week Smallville will apparently be visited by "The Flash". This appears to be inspired by a popular Superman story, a race between The Flash and Superman. It will be interested to see how this plays out in Smallville, a world so far devoid of capes and tights.

This "Flash" is Bart Allen, who is currently Kid Flash in the comics, and is the Grandson of the Silver Age Flash, Barry Allen. Apparently Barry Allen, and Jay Garrick (the Golden Age Flash) are mentioned in next weeks episode.There are rumors that this appearance could be spun off into a Flash tv series for next season....

Redvette
post #289 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update on Ken Jennings' 'Jeopardy!' Streak

By The Associated Press

Ken Jennings, a software engineer from Salt Lake City, has shattered records on the TV game show "Jeopardy!" His run began June 2, with hiatuses for summer reruns and a tournament of past champions. A look at Jennings' streak:

Consecutive shows as winner: 56.

Money won on show aired Wednesday: $28,300

Money won so far: $1,906,400.

Perspective: At the start of its 20th season last fall, "Jeopardy!" changed its longtime rule that said a champion must leave after five straight wins. Now a player stays until losing. Jennings now has the longest winning streak in game show history.

Conservative: With $28,200 going into Final Jeopardy, Jennings bet the tiny amount of $100. Why? His closest challenger had $14,000, and he wanted to ensure he'd still win, even if she bet everything and got the final answer correct.

Final Jeopardy: The category was "1920s Transportation." The clue: "Last name of the Chicago cab fleet operator who started the `drive-ur-self' rental system." Jennings correctly answered, "Hertz."
post #290 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ABC cuts back Cuban's 'The Benefactor'

By ED BARK / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's The Benefactor has been further downsized by ABC, almost assuredly killing any possibilities of a sequel to the Dallas-based reality series.

An announced eight-episode run, still in ABC's plans at the start of the week, is now reduced to six episodes, with the finale scheduled on Oct. 25 instead of Nov. 1.

"I have nothing but great things to say about ABC," Mr. Cuban said via e-mail Wednesday. "I still love the show and the way it turned out. Viewers won't see everything we shot, but it still turned out great and will be incredibly entertaining."

Last Monday's scheduled fifth episode belatedly was pre-empted for a tribute to the late actor Christopher Reeve. ABC initially said that two episodes would be condensed into one to keep the finale in place on Nov. 1. It then announced Wednesday that an election-eve special will air instead.

On the finale, Mr. Cuban will give one of two remaining contestants $1 million after they have 60 seconds to "explain why he should pick them," ABC said in a statement scheduled to be released nationally today. The network also promised "a surprising twist."

"There is always a chance of a sequel," Mr. Cuban said, although the first four episodes of the show averaged just 4.7 million viewers to rank 81st in the season-to-date ratings and last among all ABC shows, according to Nielsen Media Research.

The Benefactor did win its time slot three out of four times in Dallas-Fort Worth, where it airs from 7 to 8 p.m. on WFAA-TV (Channel 8). Mr. Cuban said the show was hampered nationally by pre-emptions in several markets and delayed telecasts on the West Coast, where Monday Night Football precedes it instead of vice versa.

"I think we would have done better in a time slot that had us playing [at the same time] in every major market ... but we knew the challenge going in," Mr. Cuban said.
post #291 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

benefactor sequel..yeah right..only on HDNet

i'm a little concerned about Alias..guessing that it moves to Wednesdays at 10 pm

abc will give it one last shot to see if the show can grow from Lost's lead-in and if not, it is sayonara after this season
post #292 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I understand Alias is going to much shorter story arcs in a bid to lure viewers who might not want to have to watch every episode every week without feeling lost.
post #293 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some hints about plot developments in episodes of network shows scheduled tonight through Sunday:

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/new...6thursday.html
post #294 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Late news from MediaWeek.com:

FCC Won't Stop Sinclair's Anti-Kerry Doc
By Todd Shields, MediaWeek.com

The Federal Communications Commission will not seek to prevent Sinclair Broadcast Group from airing a documentary critical of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, the agency's chairman said today.

Don't look to us to block the airing of a program, FCC Chairman Michael Powell told reporters after the FCC's monthly meeting in Washington. Powell said action against the broadcast would violate free-speech guarantees.

Sinclair says it plans to pre-empt regular programming on its 62 stations for Stolen Honor: Wounds that Never Heal, about Kerry's anti-war activism in the 1970s.

Prominent Democrats have demanded that Sinclair not air the show, which is planned for Oct. 20-24, depending on the station.
post #295 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some TV Notes:

(from the New York Daily News)
http://www.nydailynews.com/business/...p-207445c.html
Dobbs may get prime time slot

Thursday, October 14th, 2004

Veteran financial news anchor Lou Dobbs could be getting a more high profile perch at CNN as the Time Warner-owned cable network looks to boost its ratings, network insiders said.
CNN's top brass is considering moving the fast-rising "Lou Dobbs Tonight," from 6 p.m. to prime time.
"It's being discussed," a CNN exec told the Daily News.
Any move would be made after the November elections. A new slot for Dobbs has yet to be determined, CNN sources said.
"With the presidential election less than a month away, it's silly to speculate on programing changes," said CNN spokesman Matthew Furman. Dobbs declined comment.
Elevating the longtime CNN anchor would mark CNN's latest effort to shore-up in the face of a continuing assault from Fox News, which boasts nearly double CNN's audience.
Dobbs has struck a chord with his vocal crusade against U.S. companies moving jobs overseas. Since the beginning of the summer, ratings for "Lou Dobbs Tonight" have surged 25% to 472,000 households. Dobbs is outpacing CNN overall, which is up 13%.
Ad rates for Dobbs' show are among the net's highest.
"He's the most familiar financial news personality on television," said Horizon Media director of research Brad Adgate.
But shifting Dobbs from his current place at the end of the business day presents risks. "The prime-time audience has a different mind-set," said Tom Rosentiel, director of the Project for Excellence in Journalism.
And it's unclear whether Dobbs would be interested in a new gig, CNN insiders said.
----------------------------------
Iger rising
Disney No. 2 Bob Iger's shot at nabbing the Disney CEO post is gaining momentum with the surprisingly strong turnaround at ABC, Disney investors said yesterday. Iger, who used to run ABC and was charged with turning it around has long been weighed down by its dismal performance.
But thanks to a stellar start for ABC shows "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," Iger's situation is suddenly looking the opposite of desperate.
"The biggest argument against Bob is now vastly improving," said Anthony Valencia, an analyst at TCW Group, a Disney shareholder.
Still, Disney execs have been telling investors they're cautious about ABC's prospects. "They're not proclaiming victory yet," said Angela Kohler, an analyst at Federated Investors.
Meanwhile, ABC's resurgence is boosting Disney stock. It's jumped 10% in two weeks, up 17 cents yesterday at $25.01.
The situation is the reverse for NBC. It's seen double digit ratings losses so far this season. The once dominant force on the TV screen is losing to CBS on the Thursday nights it once owned, and has had a bunch of disappointing shows , including the expensive animated show "Father of the Pride."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Zucker on the hot seat at NBC
http://www.nypost.com/business/20160.htm
By TIM ARANGO , New York Post
October 14, 2004 -- Move over Bob Iger and make way for Jeff Zucker.
With ABC's ascendance in the network television ratings, Disney's Iger has for the moment sidestepped the scrutiny that dogged him for the last several years for overseeing ratings-challenged ABC.
Zucker, meanwhile, NBC's golden child and heir apparent to NBC chief Bob Wright, now finds himself on the hot seat with the once high-flying network's ratings decline.
"If you're the person who's been put in charge, the spotlight is going to fall on you for good or ill," said media buyer Bill Carroll, of Katz Television Group.
In the fall season to date, NBC has seen its ratings in the key 18-49 demographic fall 16 percent, while CBS has seen an 11 percent jump and ABC has seen a gain of 3 percent.
When NBC execs announced in May that they had closed their blockbuster merger with Vivendi's Universal, the company trotted out a lucrative extension to keep airing Dick Wolf's "Law & Order" series.
But even "Law & Order" no longer dominates its Wednesday night time slot, lagging behind CBS's new hit "CSI: NY."
"I think everyone believed that ["CSI: NY"] was going to be good competition but that "Law & Order" would continue to be the leading show on Wednesday night at 10 p.m.," Carroll said.
An NBC spokeswoman said the network is pleased with the performance of such primetime shows such as "The Apprentice," "ER," "SVU," "Medical Investigation," "Joey" and "Las Vegas."
"Of course, ABC has launched a couple of very impressive hits and CBS has turned "CSI" into a red-hot franchise, so we know it's going to be a tough three-way race all season long," the spokeswoman said.
Zucker, who had been president of NBC Entertainment, was given additional responsibilities in the merged company, and was given the title of group president for entertainment, news and cable. He added responsibility for NBC News and cable channels MSNBC and CNBC, and remains president of NBC Entertainment.
Among his missteps were paying roughly $2.5 million to DreamWorks to air the animated show "Father of the Pride," which has bombed.
He also reportedly turned down the show "Desperate Housewives," which has gone on to be a hit for ABC.
Still, there are those who say Zucker's exalted status remains secure, at least for the moment.
These people point out the remarkable run NBC has had over the years with hits such as "Seinfeld," "Friends" and "Frasier" and note that NBC remained on top far longer than most expected.
"I think he's still the heir apparent," said Peter Olsen, senior vice president for national broadcast at Mediacom.
"I don't think this takes anything away from his golden boy status."
An NBC insider said the company's top brass, including Wright and GE chief Jeff Immelt, have confidence in Zucker.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's really the star of 'Boston Legal'
(Yes, it's that old ham bone, William Shatner)
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/new...2thursday.html
By Ed Robertson, MediaLife.com
David E. Kelley is one of those dark semi-geniuses of television whose mystery has as much to do with his failures as his successes. He fails brilliantly. Then there are those flashes, and one certainly is with Boston Legal, the new show morphed from his long-troubled "The Practice." It's a matter of brilliant casting.
But we are not talking about James Spader, who plays Alan Shore, the ethics-challenged lawyer Kelley introduced last season. We're talking about William Shatner, the ex "Star-Trekker" and odd-ball spokesman for Priceline who plays Denny Crane, the daffy defense attorney whom Kelley also introduced in The Practice's final season.
Call Shatner what you will: a ham, a lightweight, an ubiquitous shill for Priceline. You'd be right on each count. Shatner hasn't really been challenged as an actor since the early days of Star Trek.
But Shatner knows how to entertain. He also has the kind of vast, built-in audience that producers, network executives and potential sponsors all love to see when it comes to developing a TV series.
Star vehicles rarely work in television, but character vehicles do. We've seen this time and again. Back in 1974, for example, Roy Huggins built The Rockford Files around James Garnerand specifically, the actor's portrayal of the reluctant hero type he originated on Maverickbecause he knew that Garner's success with that character would resonate with viewers. It did, and Rockford ran for six seasons on NBC.
Thirty years later, we see Kelley doing the same thing with Shatner on Boston Legal.
As Denny Crane, Shatner is basically playing off the self-parodying image he has crafted for himself in recent years, both in the Priceline commercials as well as his live appearances on the sci-fi convention circuit. That image is that of a vainglorious actor who is nonetheless likeable because he doesn't seem to take himself seriously.
Kelley has masterfully taken that characterization of Shatner and used it to drive the main storyline on Boston Legal.
The wily yet eccentric Crane is considered a joke among his own colleagues, to the point that senior partner Paul Lewiston (an image-conscious sniveler played by René Auberjonois) has been plotting to drive Crane out of his own firm.
In this past Sunday's episode, Crane appears to play right into Lewiston's hands when his questionable behavior toward a female plaintiff in a deposition leads to possible sanctions against the firm. Much to Lewiston's dismay, Crane proves to the court that he's not a man to be underestimated. Not only does he argue successfully against the sanctions, he wins the case outright.
Similarly, it's easy to dismiss Boston Legal as lighthearted, ethereal fare. After all, we are talking about William Shatner. Yet that perception actually works in the show's favor.
Viewers familiar with Shatner's shtick won't expect high art, only to be entertained, a much lesser burden of proof. That gives the show a tremendous potential upside that has already paid early dividends. The premiere of Boston finished in the top 20 among households.
Like Crane, Shatner is the ultimate survivor, having bounced back in his career more times than a Superball. When he hit a dry spell in the 70s, he went back to Star Trek, lending his voice to the animated series before signing on for the theatrical movies. When the Star Trek movies began to pigeonhole him in the 80s, he returned to television as the star of T.J. Hooker.
T.J. Hooker was certainly over the top, but Shatner's intensity made it fun to watch, in much the same way as the actor's personality makes his portrayal of Denny Crane fun to watch.
Then, after lampooning sci-fi fans in the infamous Get a life sketch on Saturday Night Live, Shatner turned around and embraced the convention circuit in the 90s. Along the way, he even poked fun at himself by writing a book called Get a Life.
Yet for all his comic skills, Shatner brings a depth to Crane that is surprisingly effective, as evidenced in the scene near the end of last Sunday's episode in which he confides in young associate Brad Chase (Mark Valley of Keen Eddie). Though his outward bluster suggests otherwise, Crane admits to Chase that he is well aware that rivals such as Lewiston are eager to see him fall.
Shatner has no shortage of detractors in the TV industry, many of whom would probably like to see him fall in Boston Legal.
It's to Kelley's credit that he could create a role that captures Shatner's full range as an actor. And to pair him with a capable, if far prettier, actor like Spader. In his unending search for the quirky, Kelley may have found just the right mix of tics to match his own.
post #296 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wednesday night's ratings (and Marc Berman analysis) posted
post #297 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Posted story on the new Acadaemy Awards host being named by producer Gil Cates.
post #298 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I like Lou Dobbs. That's interesting news. Who does he replace in that slot, Paula Zahn? I could do without her and Aaron Brown for that matter.

OTHER CNN NEWS: Wolf Blitzer announced last night they'll apparently be using the entire Nasdaq building with it's banks of monitors inside and it's gi-normous display outside in an election night coverage event they're apparently very proud of. He was touting it like they are really going to wow viewers but of course I cannot say if the event will live up to the hype that is apparently starting.

post #299 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Coverage of the third Presidential Debate from 9-10:30 p.m. rated first in the overnights on NBC (9.9/14), followed by ABC (9.8/13) and CBS (6.3/ 9). At 10:30 p.m., analysis of the Debate was also No. 1 on NBC (8.6/12), followed by ABC (8.2/12) and CBS (5.3/ 8).

CBS is king in primetime until Dan Rather gets on the air. Wow, he is really an albatross for CBS news.
post #300 of 25503 Old 10-14-2004, 12:48 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[b]"I think we would have done better in a time slot that had us playing [at the same time] in every major market ... but we knew the challenge going in," Mr. Cuban said.

Or maybe because the show is awful. The 20/20 special that aired got nearly double The Benefactor's ratings in the same timeslot.

And I believe [i]PrimeTime Monday[i] last season had better ratings in the timeslot.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page